Sports NBA Thread: 2023-2024 Season

Green is where I mainly point the finger. Get rid of him. He's nothing but an expensive liability who is now old and can't do nothing but pass and make the occasional good defensive play
No way. Green is still a good player. Problem is the warriors don’t have anyone else that can create their own offense. It showed in the warriors record vs. top records in the league.

They either need to accept the rebuild, developing their young core players (let them play more, championship aspirations be damned), or go all in making a run at another star. Paul George, Lebron James, and Giannis come to mind. They could all be out in the first round. Call them up.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
  • Big-market teams beating up on smaller market teams repeatedly in the Play-In brackets, followed by recurring debates across sports news sites on which of these four is "most likely to go all the way?" (notice how all four have that one X-Factor player they rely on- Lebron, Curry, Jimmy, and Joel respectively). A rising Thunder team wins against the regressing Warriors who are past their prime in six while the 76ers fail to make it past the Celtics in the playoffs for the fourth time since 2017-18 and (unfortunately) once again fail to make it past the Conference Semifinals during this time frame.
I'm not about to go out and say I was expecting perfect playoff bracket or anything close to it, but I've been watching two things today. The weather is one of them (usual spring thunderstorm stuff, nothing too out of the ordinary), but the much more relevant thing is how badly the Warriors fell apart. Credit to Sacramento for basically having Golden State's number for most of the game- I'll swallow my pride and admit I've underrated your team more than once before. As for this portion of my bracket that the Warriors were on as my play-in 8 seed in the West, that spot's going to go to one of either the Pelicans or the Kings. My question is less of who's going to win this- I think it could go either way- and more about who the Thunder would rather play in the First Round.

Green is still able to play for a few more years but he's caused enough damage to not make any upside worth it imo. Doesn't matter how good you are if you still get suspended and thrown out more than even 'Sheed. Just get younger while you can.

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
I will comment and say that I prior to this year have thought draymond is overrated and a net negative but he’s just one of the best defensive isolation players of all time and plays pretty good zone too. His offense outside of passing is below average but you can plug and play him and he’ll do well when he was a free agent last year I wanted him on the mavs very badly

Also I think we'd sing a different tune if Curry just came out and said yeah, Green is a liability. His frustration in the Orlando game was enough for me. Even if Curry won't say it.

He gets injured more and more, tossed more, punched a teammate off the team, ruined the team chemistry, and is constantly a huge distraction overall.

Nobody is worth that headache unless they're Michael Jordan.

Last edited:
I feel bad for Steph. It’s Steph and the bums. He has no help out there.

Klay is washed.
I'd feel bad if he put pressure on the front office. Man has literally zero leadership skills. You hardly ever hear him talk about things.

Dray punched the skills out of Poole like a Monstar and he didn't even have to apologize for it publicly. The whole organization is too soft to make moves they have to. Klay and Dray should've been coming off the bench and being legit vet presences for at least 2 years by now.

Kerr can't be seriously trotting out lineups with Looney's 20 rebounds and 2 points per game while ALSO having Dray playing. It doesn't work. That's how Steph is doubled every single possession.

Matter of fact, last year's Game 7 against the Kings themselves is a great example of how Steph isn't really rallying anyone.

The front office is beyond risk-averse too.

They posted that beautiful story with him making sure to talk instead of Dray, dropping like, a million points on his own, and Kerr congratulating him and telling the team "See, this is why you're champions."

There are so many things wrong with this, I can't even begin to dissect this story again (I did it on another forum).

Just terrible management on all levels. The Warriors need to rebuild and do it properly. The whole "two timelines" bullshit didn't fly. Kerr can't develop talent like that. This is why Moody is rotting in GS and Kuminga isn't unlocked by now.

I'd feel bad if he put pressure on the front office. Man has literally zero leadership skills. You hardly ever hear him talk about things.

Dray punched the skills out of Poole like a Monstar and he didn't even have to apologize for it publicly. The whole organization is too soft to make moves they have to. Klay and Dray should've been coming off the bench and being legit vet presences for at least 2 years by now.

Kerr can't be seriously trotting out lineups with Looney's 20 rebounds and 2 points per game while ALSO having Dray playing. It doesn't work. That's how Steph is doubled every single possession.

Matter of fact, last year's Game 7 against the Kings themselves is a great example of how Steph isn't really rallying anyone.

The front office is beyond risk-averse too.

They posted that beautiful story with him making sure to talk instead of Dray, dropping like, a million points on his own, and Kerr congratulating him and telling the team "See, this is why you're champions."

There are so many things wrong with this, I can't even begin to dissect this story again (I did it on another forum).

Just terrible management on all levels. The Warriors need to rebuild and do it properly. The whole "two timelines" bullshit didn't fly. Kerr can't develop talent like that. This is why Moody is rotting in GS and Kuminga isn't unlocked by now.
The warriors criticism is insane. They have 4 championships in 8 years. They are by far the most successful franchise of the past decade.

Draymond is not an on-court liability. On the contrary; he is still one of the best defenders in the NBA.

The warriors problem is they have financially taken care of their vets, who are now unfortunately overpaid. Steph is a declining all-star and Klay is a more like a vet minimum rotation player at this point.

They likely missed their opportunity to pivot. The Spurs in 2012-2014 got a second wind with the emergence Kawhi Leonard. The hope was that Wiggins & Kuminga could blossom similarly but both have underachieved. And Wiseman turned out to be a bust.

Last edited:

awyp

is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Jimmy getting injured was a huge deflator because now Celtics are guaranteed to get through to round 2 regardless if the Bulls or Heat win the play-in. Celtics are a -220 favorite to get to the final which is kinda disgusting odds. Vegas is essentially saying nobody is stopping the Celtics in the East.

Some quick predicts about saturday games (series):

Magic vs Cavs: A very weak eastern conference I think Magic get by, I haven't liked Cavs as of recently. Franz and Paulo are the future and they have a pretty deep team. Going with Magic to win the series.

Suns vs Timberwolves: Honestly I think the suns are a bust when it comes to their Center spot, so I think KAT and Gobert will really show that to be a problem you cannot hide. Going with Timberwolves

76ers vs Knicks: Prob one of the best series this round, I think it'll be tough and it will depend on how close is Embiid to 100%. I think Knicks pull it out though since I don't think any one on the team can guard Brunson. Going with Knicks to win the series.

Lakers vs Nuggets: I think this is pretty ez, Lakers are worse than last year but it really depends on if Jamal Murray is healthy or not, I think if he's not healthy it'll be a longer series but I think it's a series that's already written. Nuggets win.

Jimmy getting injured was a huge deflator because now Celtics are guaranteed to get through to round 2 regardless if the Bulls or Heat win the play-in. Celtics are a -220 favorite to get to the final which is kinda disgusting odds. Vegas is essentially saying nobody is stopping the Celtics in the East.
as a celtics fan this bracket was so beneficial when we were already heavy favorites in the east. only three teams i was worried about were miami, new york and philly. miami wouldn't have beat us but it could've turned into a very ugly six or seven game series very quickly, especially with how rusty our team will be to start playoffs. Philly rests so heavily on joels health (which does not look good) but when healthy i think they're top 3 in the east (alongside NY). NY is a little less scary with randle out but that will be an intense series if they make it through that gauntlet of a bracket, brunson is so good and guys like hartenstein and hart seem to always kill us when we play.

our situation rn reminds me a lot of golden state in 2022 being heavily benefited by the rest advantage over the east. our failure to close out milwaukee and miami in 5-6 just gave us no legs in the finals and among other things was a big factor in our loss. I can completely understand anyone favoring denver to repeat but the west is so brutal that we'll be at a massive rest advantage if we make it to the finals.

The warriors criticism is insane. They have 4 championships in 8 years. They are by far the most successful franchise of the past decade.
And by sticking to that idea, they've missed the transition window that led to the current situation.

The sooner Klay realizes he'll need to take the same route Westbrook did and embrace his role as a 6th man, the better.

Dray by himself isn't terrible on-court, but it's well known he's not a scoring threat. The problem is pairing him up with Looney. You can't have 2 non-scoring players in a starting lineup, and Klay being that erratic.
What happens is that Curry just gets doubled with absolute impunity the whole game, which wears anyone down.

Klay and Dray should be on team-friendly deals by now. They're already got their bags. They gotta pass the torch at some point.

All dynasties are open to criticism. We are in 2024. The truth can't be unsaid because of the past.

Draymond is not an on-court liability.
So why hasn't he been on the court as much in the last 24 months? How do you define liability?

I define it as, if you end up playing less and less and literally destroying team chemistry, you are a liability. I do not care about your on court stats at that point. You can repeat his stats a thousand times, and I'll point you to Curry being in tears over yet another ejection 2 minutes in a game. That matters a shit ton more than his stats.

You find Warriors criticism insane, I find Warrior apologeticness even more insane. You admit Curry declined but not Green? Are you Draymond????

Last edited:
All dynasties are open to criticism. We are in 2024. The truth can't be unsaid because of the past.

So why hasn't he been on the court as much in the last 24 months? How do you define liability?

I define it as, if you end up playing less and less and literally destroying team chemistry, you are a liability. I do not care about your on court stats at that point. You can repeat his stats a thousand times, and I'll point you to Curry being in tears over yet another ejection 2 minutes in a game. That matters a shit ton more than his stats.

You find Warriors criticism insane, I find Warrior apologeticness even more insane. You admit Curry declined but not Green? Are you Draymond????
Your Warriors posts are insane. There’s no need for “apologeticness” regarding the most successful dynasty of the past decade. The proof is in the hardware.

Yes, Steph on the court has declined more than Draymond. Steph has a lot further to fall. Went from being top 2-3 player in the league to top 10-12. Steph is still amazing, but is in decline. Draymond went from being the best defender in the league to.. still a top five defender in the league. He was never a scorer.

23kpqetok9xb1.jpg

20240418_161855.jpg

(2) New York Knicks versus (7) Philadelphia Sixers

“It’s like that Spongebob meme when Squidward is looking out the window and sees Spongebob and Ptraick having fun. Mikal is Squidward.” – Josh Hart on Mikal Bridges not being in the playoffs.

I’ve been back and forth with this series more than any other. Both teams are nearly evenly matched in my eyes even considering New York’s injured players. For me, much of this depends on Embiid’s health. He didn’t look right in the Play-in game, and his injury history in the playoffs is extensive. It also doesn’t help that New York is one of the most physically imposing teams to face. Hartenstein played Embiid single coverage in January, and New York lived to see another day. He may be solid enough to not require constant help which makes Maxey the only player who can create in those situations.

Problem is, I’m not entirely sure anyone on New York can effectively stop Maxey. They rank in the bottom ten in pick and roll defense, and Philadelphia has plenty of bodies to throw at Brunson. We can start with the length and tenacity of Batum all the way to Oubre Jr. Brunson is going to see a lot of hands, and he will need to navigate the offense much on his own without Randle. He’s certainly capable, but on his own against length?

The central question to me is who can win more of the battles when Brunson meets Embiid between the paint and three-point line? Brunson is going to see length, with hopes to attack Maxey as much as he can, while Embiid, who possibly is limited, will need to be comfortable guarding in space, deal with physicality and be a main part of the offense on the other end. There is no possible way to know who will be more comfortable in this series between the two stars, and New York still has Maxey to worry about. I feel Brunson will face better defenders than Maxey.

With that said, the outside margins feel nearly split too. New York is the #1 offensive rebounding team, but Embiid is the best rebounder there is despite Philadelphia not being such a hot defensive rebounding team. Rebounding is one area that can tip the scales in New York if they can manage it. Philadelphia is #4 at forcing turnovers while New York is closer to the bottom third. The difference in forcing turnovers also matches their respective paces, so if Brunson becomes fatigued or overworked and starts fumbling, that tips the scales in Philadelphia’s favor.

There truly is no indicator to me on who wins this. All is dependent on the health of Embiid and the comfort of the point guards on both ends. Whoever is more efficient on both ends between this trio will ultimately win the series, but I see it going the long haul. Flip a coin. As for me, I’ll just let my cat choose for me.

New York wins if: Embiid was clearly in no physical condition to handle playoff basketball. Brunson manages to get Batum and other lengthy defenders off him and successfully attack Maxey. New York beats Philadelphia on the glass, take care of the possessions, and slow the pace down significantly. The supporting cast of New York play good advantage basketball and physical defense.

Philadelphia wins if: Maxey cannot be contained. Embiid is at least 70%. Brunson is bothered by traps and lengthy screen navigators. Philadelphia’s supporting cast can score comfortably even if Embiid is not doubled.

New York in seven.

(2) Denver Nuggets versus (7) Los Angeles Lakers

“Being famous, I think some people like it. I don’t, really. When I finish my career, I really wish nobody knows me, and I really wish my kid or kids in the future really remember me as a dad, not as a basketball player.” – Nikola Jokic

Los Angeles has a better shot at this than people realize. I don’t expect them to win the series, but I also don’t expect a sweep. Russell has had an offensive awakening, LeBron is usually at his best in the first round unlike the injury he was hiding last year (or so he implied), and the team has found an offensive identity they haven’t had for years. They became a great offensive juggernaut while shooting lights out from behind the arc. LeBron has also improved as a jump shooter this year.

Los Angeles needs to keep Russell and Reaves on the floor as much as possible. Russell was played off the court last year, and it gave Murray chances to rest on defense. If both manage to stay on the floor longer, Murray worked significantly less on defense. Sure, LeBron can hunt Murray, but it’s more work for him if he not only has to worry about LeBron, but also Reaves/Russell.

Los Angeles was beat in transition every game in last year's series. This year, Los Angeles is 27th in transition defense. During the three regular season matchups, Denver was 27-10 in the last 5 minutes of each game. I don’t think Los Angeles will magically and substantially improve in these areas overnight, so their main hope is to outshoot Denver with their newly found offensive flow. Can they sustain that shooting over the course of a series?

Darvin Ham also hasn’t exactly solved the Jokic problem, but he seems intent on having Hachimura on him with Davis lurking off Gordon. The only other option that might have a chance of working is giving LeBron a shot.

These are only the possible adjustments I can think of from Los Angeles that can be worked on. It’ll still be a competitive series. Ultimately, I don’t trust Russell and Reaves to hold up defensively over the course of a series, and Murray’s defense isn’t enough to tip the scales for me.

Denver wins if: Jokic bullies AD again, beats him in transition again, kills them with passes again, and Russell/Reaves can’t stay on the court.

Los Angeles wins if: Everyone from LeBron to Russell to Reaves can’t miss. Los Angeles finds a way to improve their transition defense or keep Denver in a slugfest. Murray is exploited on defense. Denver’s lack of depth and bench shows its ugly head.

Denver in six.

awyp

RMT Leader
Sunday predictions:

Heat vs Celtics: I thought this was going to be an interesting series but Jimmy getting injured is very bad so I think it will be a brainless series, Celtics win.

Mavs vs clippers: okay so this is the series I think I will watch everytime it’s on. This will be a closer series but I called from weeks ago that as a mavs fan this is the matchup I wanted, luka knows clippers scheme pretty well and he always has big games, finally mavs have a good 2nd scorer that’s reliable. And if Lively can give 20 minutes I think this is leaning towards the mavs. Depends on how healthy Kawhi is but I think it’s over for the Clipps but should be competitive. Mavs win series

Bucks vs Pacers: depends on when Giannis comes back but if he’s not I think it can go either way.

Pelicans vs Thunder: Thunder lol

awyp

RMT Leader
couple first thoughts of what ive been seeing so far..

lakers can still make it a competitive series

the mavs vs clippers has been a nail bitter

cavs vs magics have been a joke, magics are clearly not playoff ready

knicks really needed those wins over the 76ers

suns have been what i been assuming

celtics are showing that they aren't really a perfect team, but i still think they'll get it done

If gafford remains a non factor next to zubac its dicey for mavs. In fact their new role guys have looked pretty bad at taking advantage of traps to the stars. They're all also unproven in the playoffs compared to the clipper role guys.

Sixers have a lot to feel good about. They just need more from role guys. Brunson has struggled against length two games in a row.

Suns assist rate was fine in the regular season and that disappeared. Now the likes of Gobert/KAT is enough to contain a combination of Booker and KD just shooting over the top. Even with KAT foul trouble. No Allen means even less threes and spacing. Suns miss real point guard play.

awyp

RMT Leader
luka doncic plays basketball today.

in other news embiid dropped a 50 piece with bells palsy, very reminiscing to a mj flu game

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)