Newbies, I need your help!

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was recently looking at the Heracross analysis, and as I was reading through, I noticed a couple minor things to improve, but then I noticed something else. I understood everything completely. Now, this might not sound like a bad thing, but I'm not new. Take the EVs section, for example.

Smogondex said:
At least 264 speed for Reversal variants, but 295 speed recommended for other crosses.
264 Speed? What does that even mean? Is it the final stat, or the EVs? Before or after Salac? Or, more importantly, what's significant about 264, to begin with? Why does it say Adamant and recommend 295 Speed? Blagh blagh blagh I don't get it. These are questions I had when I was a new.

Basically, I'm going to be going through the Smogondex and trying to remove any ambiguities like that. This is where you, the new NBer, come in. There are things I might overlook as I oversee this project, because I already come in with prior knowledge. So, if there is anything that you don't understand, post it! =)

I'm not exactly a new player, but as I was reading through the Vaporeon analysis, I noticed it says:

Any Vaporeon, especially ones with Substitute, want lots of HP - at least 404, but preferably 420 or 436.

I think a lot of newer people may be wondering why those stats are good. Those who know 404 may not know the others, and I think it would be helpful to have it said why they are useful.

On the Alakazam analysis it says at least 352/363 speed, now, I know what 352 speed does, but I really can't think right off the bat of why 363 speed is good. Listing why both are useful would be helpful.

On the Gengar analysis, it says to use 300 or 332 speed, as with Alakazam I know what the first one does but not the other, and listing them both would be nice. By the way, is this the kind of thing you're looking for, or not? It seems like a lot of analysises do this sort of thing.

I agree that the guides should be accessible for new people but don't take it too far. There's a LOT of work to be done on everything already.

Great Sage

Banned deucer.
I'm relatively experienced with EVs and stuff like that, but I'd prefer that exact EVs be posted below each set. One thing has been bugging me for a long time; most analyses suggest natures, and the ones that don't usually are for really obvious stuff, but Claydol's doesn't, and I'd not say Claydol is the easiest Pokemon to come up with a nature for.

Isn't it obviously that 264 means stat though? I agree if it is less than 252 it might be ambiguous, but anything above 252 is clearly a stat...

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah, I agree that it shouldn't have to explain how each and every thing works if it's a general thing, but just a short blurb can be mentioned like "270 Speed to beat Heracross" instead of just "270 Speed".

. you only need 330 speed for outspeeding modest starmie/ jolly salamence). Possibly use 332 speed for outspeeding adament tyranitar with max sped evs and 1 dragon dance. 362 is for outspeeding persian/etc. actually its better to have 405 hp on vapreon. (reason being: since every 16 hp increases leftover heal by 1, and 404 makes substitutes have 101 life instead of 100 *so seismic toss takes two turns to kill it* its best to have 405 life so you can use substitute 4 times and have 1 life leftover. (same reason ppl do 273 life on ninjask, gives you 1 more sub.

Something I'd REALLY like to see is natures for each set.

And an explanation for the EV spreads is also nice. For example, 404 subs was one of the first advanced strategies I learned about, but I couldn't tell you wtf 420 and 436 is supposed to be about.

Arkeis

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Something I'd REALLY like to see is natures for each set.
QFT

And an explanation for the EV spreads is also nice. For example, 404 subs was one of the first advanced strategies I learned about, but I couldn't tell you wtf 420 and 436 is supposed to be about.
420 and 436 and the like are max Lefties recovery numbers, since Lefties recovers 1/16th of your total health and those numbers are divisible by 16. It's basically for people to figure out what's the most efficient way to spread HP EVs without wasting any.

Instead of saying "HP flying" it should say "Hidden Power [flying type]". That confuses a lot of noobs from what I hear.

obi

formerly david stone
The HP-->Hidden Power thing is a required fix for the dex edits, or it confuses the auto-define feature into thinking Hit Points Flying.

the page on
http://www.smogon.com/rs/articles/magicstat
the parts on dusclops, donphan and alakazam are pretty outdated
also, we can say on how to distribute evs and natures. for example

In general we boost lower stats with EVs and higher stats with personalities. For example steelix or the regis with base 200 defences. As every 4 evs add 1 more point, that extra point will not affect much to a defence that is already in the 400s. if we were the put that point in the significantly lower HP, we'll get a better use out of the point
and something like blissey is the opposite example. boost def with evs.
by adding to a higher base stat with natures and lowering a lower one the overall stats will be higher.
these stuff can be added onto the page mentioned above, on how to decide on natures and distributing evs

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)