Sports NFL Thread: 2023-2024 Season

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Oh god I took a nap and accidentally slept for 4 hours. This thread was supposed to be up BEFORE the draft.

Whoops.

ANYWHO. THE DRAFT IS UNDERWAY, THE NEW SEASON IS OFFICIALLY STARTED.

Took me a little to warm up to it but I'm on board with the Bills' pick of Dalton Kincaid at 25. The run on WRs from picks 20-23 really messed up our board and we had to move up for the best "receiver" left. Cool thing about Kincaid is that he can play a superslot role and become Josh Allen's security blanket. OC Ken Dorsey better use him properly........

Looking forward to Day 2!

• Wow
Reactions: zf
Not the ideal Day 2 for my Buffalo Bills, but there was no way we could pass on O'Cyrus Torrence at 59. Dude was supposed to be gone in the 1st... Dorian Williams in the late 3rd might've been a reach but a necessary one as all of the top LBs were taken and we desperately needed someone to fill the Tremaine Edmunds hole. But Brandon Beane muddies the water saying that Williams will be playing outside initially? Huh? What is the point then?

Gonna be painful watching the 4th round seeing some of the names that fell knowing we traded away our 4th round pick. Hoping and praying that the theme of crazy draft slips continues.

Camden

Hey, it's me!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I'm extremely happy with Tampa's picks so far. I was hoping for one of the top OT choices but we were too low to get one so we grabbed Kancey who unfortunately might have way-too-high expectations with all the Aaron Donald comparisons he's getting, but it was still a team need. He should hopefully fit well in rotation with Vita Vea.

Cody Mauch is Ryan Jensen 2.0 in a lot of ways (good and bad) and will be a perfect fit alongside him. Small school farm boy lineman is the Jason Licht specialty. Excited to see how our line looks.

YaYa Diaby is a great prospect that should see strong development working with the likes of Barrett. Good depth piece.

For future picks I'd like to see more line depth or possible secondary depth, and I am not against finding some special teams talent down there either. I don't expect much from 5th round picks onward so as long as they're at least correct positions chosen I'm not gonna worry (basically as long as they don't draft useless offensive pieces I'll be ok)

Day 3 was... something. Buffalo traded away both of their 6th round picks for two 6th round picks in next year's draft and picked up two 7th round picks in this year's. Must be stocking up for some moves next year. The board didn't fall the way I wanted it to in the 6th so I don't really mind the trades but it was just weird watching it as it happened. Basically getting 4 players of relatively similar value for the price of 2.

Oh, and our 5th round pick WR Justin Shorter is A BEAST.

Now that the draft is in the books, I think either Pittsburgh or Philly got the best haul (which includes Philly trading for D'Andre Swift).

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I hate to brag like this, but I'd like to think I've gotten pretty good at predicting what can happen with each new NFL season. I may or may not have picked the last three Super Bowl winners correctly, and I'm still stoked that I picked the entire 2022 Cowboys season perfectly. All of that being said, I don't want to get too confident, nor do I want to get cocky. As such, I wanted to try and make a list of what I thought of every team in the league as of this moment in time, but not get too impractical with my actual selections just yet. I used a tier list format for this, if that's okay.

1682970141654.png

The teams in those top two categories are the the ones I'm going to be keeping the closest eye on to succeed during the 2023-24 NFL season, whether that be because they have an easy division, strong coaching, a well-built roster, or some combination of the three. Take your pick between those nine teams and your choice of five of the rest, and you'll have a pretty good idea of what I think the 14 teams in the playoffs could look like, provided you stick to seven teams per conference. Finally, a few extra footnotes before I go:

• Ever since the changes to regular season overtime games in 2012-13 season and especially from 2017-18 onwards, the NFL has, albeit controversially, seen a total of 12 games finish in a tie (2012, 2013, 2014, two in 2016, two in 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, two in 2022). I've done a surprising amount of research on this that I've discussed in other threads before, and I've determined that the probability of the Lions seeing their third tie game in five years (2019 Week 1 @ Arizona, 2021 Week 10 @ Pittsburgh) is quite a bit higher than you might expect initially. Statistically speaking, a tie game this season would be most likely to occur at home against an NFC conference opponent, as the odds of three tie consecutive games all happening either at home or on the road is 12.5%.

• Over the past couple of seasons, the AFC has seen a decrease in parity between the quality of its teams, particularly when compared to the NFC. It seems generally agreed upon that the AFC's "Big 3" teams as of late consist of the Chiefs, the Bengals, and the Bills. Out of these three teams, I would expect the Chiefs to be the most likely to maintain their recent success, as parity starts to increase across the conference following underlooked improvements to other AFC teams. On the other end of the spectrum, however, I also expect parity in the NFC to decrease this season, as the 49ers, Eagles, and Cowboys all benefit from the lack of a top-tier team within the North and South divisions.

Happy Schedule Release Day! Here's Buffalo's:

I'm very happy that we don't have to go to Miami in September this time! The heat absolutely killed us last year.

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
Watching the Patriots go down 3 scores in the first 4 possessions and then seeing the Defense put the clamps on the Eagles for so long that they had a chance to win late not once but twice? And then seeing the offense piss away both chances?

Invigorating. What a thrill.

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
Well, that might have been the jankiest Week 1 I've ever seen. Plenty of under-performing players and teams alike to go around, and if you're anything like me, your first attempt at fantasy football in two years was a complete bust. Like, I didn't even know it was possible for me to do this badly in a league. But honestly, I could care less about fantasy football. Admittedly this isn't the thread for this, but I feel like it actually takes away from my enjoyment of watching football instead of adding to it. Or maybe I'm just a sore loser. Who knows, and who cares. In the meantime, here's some Week 1 stats and trivia we can gloss over. Maybe if you guys are interested enough, I'll start doing this every Monday night, but it's up to you if you want me to flood this thread with trivia. So. Where was I? Oh, right, Week 1. sigh
  • Home Vs. Away Win Totals: 10 Away, 6 Home
  • Interconference Matchups: NFC 4, AFC 0
    • Live season tracker: NFC leads matchups 6-4 (updated as of Week 3)
  • Number of one-score games: 6 out of 16
  • Number of overtime games: 1 out of 16
  • Largest margin of victory: 40 points
  • Smallest margin of victory: 1 point
See you all during Week 2 where the Detroit Lions now have the best active winning streak in the league... never thought I'd say that during my lifetime but good for you guys.

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Aaron Rodgers couldn't throw a completed pass before getting injured, what a shame of a start to his Jets career :(

Happy Eagles fan here!

Close game one, but I think that it could have been less if the challenge (by Bill Belichick) wasn't passed. (Smoking on that Brady pack) Jaylen also almost gave me a heart attack by fumbling the ball in the 4th quarter on like the last minute. Anyways, I hoping for a good year from the Eagles and all of the Chiefs slip and get injured :)

jaylenhurtsjpg.jpeg

(i'm straight but damn bro is hot)

P.S. What team do you like awyp ?

Last edited:

awyp

'Alexa play Ladyfingers by Herb Alpert'
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
RMT Leader
Happy Eagles fan here!

Close game one, but I think that it could have been less if the challenge (by Bill Belichick) wasn't passed. (Smoking on that Brady pack) Jaylen also almost gave me a heart attack by fumbling the ball in the 4th quarter on like the last minute. Anyways, I hoping for a good year from the Eagles and all of the Chiefs slip and get injured :)

View attachment 550892
(i'm straight but damn bro is hot)

P.S. What team do you like awyp ?
I used to be a Patriots fan but now I don't support any team since the goat retired.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)