Sports NFL Thread: 2023-2024 Season

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
no amount of cupcake wins over the giants and rodgers-less jets can hide the fundamental mid of modern cowboys

trivia question for yall. when did the cowboys last make the conference championships?

Russel Wilson is one of my favorite players of all time and it hurt watching Denver just get obliterated by the Dolphins. They easily have the most talented offense in the AFC East and I expect them to come out on top over the Bills and win the division. Their offense is just ridiculously fast and once the breaks turn on your defender is 10 yards behind the other guy. Honestly never thought I would see a blowout on that level in my lifetime. Props to McDaniel for being humble enough to not take the record against someone as prominent as Payton.

detroit was always a second home at heart for me so im happy to see the Lions stepping up finally..

I always am a Bills fan at first but BUF and DET were kinda like (yeah i know esp years ago sucked LMAO) two teams i always grew up around. Now (with all respects) i'd go BUF over DET if we ever played but i grew up around both and im super happy to see DET finally be one of those teams (kinda like the Bills couple years prior) punched their ticket outta "LOL -insert team name- is playing" and making a statement and doing well.
now just the Jets for other family members lmao.

Dan Campbell is a chad and I'm happy the Lions gave him patience to establish a culture there that makes them a scary opponent. Also, can we all LOL at the Jags for taking Travon Walker over Aiden Hutchinson?

where does people have kirk cousins next year? bruh showed hes a stat machine but say he went to (obv he wont) a SF - or hell even NYJ if A-Rodg retired &*if it went perfectly* (and im a Bills fan) would be a story for the ages
just think if it aint MINNE... wheres it happening? Kyle in SF said he liked him before but got Purdy now.

i find it intresting Kirk's options i just think he'd stay NFC bound since he's got the talent to make a SB given right backing.

edit: for any vikings or fantasy fans not tryna say just saying it does seem sumn about to change after this year even if it aint his fault (happily would be wrong think hes proved hes a rock even if they sink recent times)

Last edited:
where does people have kirk cousins next year? bruh showed hes a stat machine but say he went to (obv he wont) a SF - or hell even NYJ if A-Rodg retired &*if it went perfectly* (and im a Bills fan) would be a story for the ages
just think if it aint MINNE... wheres it happening? Kyle in SF said he liked him before but got Purdy now.

i find it intresting Kirk's options i just think he'd stay NFC bound since he's got the talent to make a SB given right backing.

edit: for any vikings or fantasy fans not tryna say just saying it does seem sumn about to change after this year even if it aint his fault (happily would be wrong think hes proved hes a rock even if they sink recent times)
Kirk to the Jets would make sense if A-Rod retired but I think that's pretty unlikely. Maybe New England?

bdt2002

Pokémon Ranger: Guardian Signs superfan
is a Pre-Contributor
I'm ready for the next Minnesota Vikings win. I don't know when it'll happen, but I'm ready for it :]
I have good news for you, my friend

Edit to prevent double posting

I’m not sure if I have told this story before on an older thread (I probably have), but just in case I haven’t, I might not look the part but I’ve actually been a Seahawks fan for the better part of the past… what, past decade and a half? I guess that’s what happens when I played one year of flag football growing up (why this didn’t continue, I was never told) and I was under the impression that flag football was a kids division of the real NFL or something. Yes, I really was that stupid as a kid. Hilariously, now that I have family living down in Jacksonville, this means my two favorite NFL teams are on completely opposite ends of the country.

Why am I telling this story? Because Monday Night Football, of course. Pete Carroll and Brian Daboll are two of my favorite coaches in the league despite the former being much more of a league veteran (also shoutouts to the USC dynasty while I’m on the subject), and while I hope my Hawks win tonight, I have a lot of respect for… most of the NFC East. Seriously, your division was doing so good and then the Washington drama just had to happen. So yeah, good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Kirk to the Jets would make sense if A-Rod retired but I think that's pretty unlikely. Maybe New England?
I see some media /& Jets fans saying go for Kirk and even a rivals Bills fan my brain for them is like, wait - why?
think of the assets youd need to give up draft wise for 1 plus 2 then what if a-rodg stays? you trading kirk months later? kirk is too good and too paid to be a backup. new england could make sense, but this upcoming draft is (im not the biggest college knowledge guy) but fairly qb deep. could see Bill wanting "proven" over feeling burnt by Mac and daring the draft again, though.
maybe ATL if they feel Ridder ain't it?

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
Look, as long as the Vikings have an exit plan for Kirk, I really don't give a shit where he goes lol

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
With the 49ers and Eagles both losing their first games of the season this week, we've officially reached the point where there are no undefeated teams left in the NFL this season. This might sound like a generally pointless statistic, and it is- until you take a look at how the "last undefeated team(s)" over the years have gone on to perform in the Super Bowl. Here are some particularly notable results:
  • "Last undefeated teams" currently have an active 16 seasons-long Super Bowl victory drought in the postseason as of the start of the 2023-24 NFL season.
    • The most recent "last undefeated team" to win the Super Bowl was the 2006-07 Indianapolis Colts.
    • During this drought, seven "last undefeated teams" have gone on to reach the Super Bowl, but all of them would end up losing. This includes the 2007-08 New England Patriots team that posted a perfect 16-0 regular season record.
  • "Last undefeated teams" have won only 12 of the 57 Super Bowl matchups as of the start of the 2023-24 NFL season.
  • Every "last undefeated team" with at least 14 wins before their first loss during the NFL season has went on to appear in that season's Super Bowl; in spite of this, only the 1972-73 Miami Dolphins team with their perfect 17-0 season including playoff wins has won the Super Bowl so far out of that group.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_undefeated_NFL_teams_by_season

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
With the 49ers and Eagles both losing their first games of the season this week, we've officially reached the point where there are no undefeated teams left in the NFL this season. This might sound like a generally pointless statistic, and it is- until you take a look at how the "last undefeated team(s)" over the years have gone on to perform in the Super Bowl. Here are some particularly notable results:
  • "Last undefeated teams" currently have an active 16 seasons-long Super Bowl victory drought in the postseason as of the start of the 2023-24 NFL season.
    • The most recent "last undefeated team" to win the Super Bowl was the 2006-07 Indianapolis Colts.
    • During this drought, seven "last undefeated teams" have gone on to reach the Super Bowl, but all of them would end up losing. This includes the 2007-08 New England Patriots team that posted a perfect 16-0 regular season record.
  • "Last undefeated teams" have won only 12 of the 57 Super Bowl matchups as of the start of the 2023-24 NFL season.
  • Every "last undefeated team" with at least 14 wins before their first loss during the NFL season has went on to appear in that season's Super Bowl; in spite of this, only the 1972-73 Miami Dolphins team with their perfect 17-0 season including playoff wins has won the Super Bowl so far out of that group.
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_last_undefeated_NFL_teams_by_season
you're telling me that the eagles AND the 49ers are losing the superbowl this year? Sign me tf up

Astra

talk to me nice
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
okay real talk it's kinda crazy how big of a turnover detroit has had in like two years

the fact that we're 4th on power rankings when our team is pretty beat up to begin with is insane, next game going to be a good test cuz we've been struggling with mobile qbs as of late and it's lamar jackson lol.

bdt2002

is a Pre-Contributor
you're telling me that the eagles AND the 49ers are losing the superbowl this year? Sign me tf up
That's what recent history says, yeah. Technically it's less of "both teams will lose" and more a case of "neither team will win", but... come on, that's pretty much the same thing. Sure, historical trends can be broken at any time, but they're called trends for a reason. Just look at last year's Eagles team- they were the last undefeated team remaining for the 2022-23 season, too, and while I recognize there was a bit more to it than this (namely a controversial holding call late in the fourth quarter), the bigger problem was that they let the game get away from them like that.

Since your post reminded me, I do want to add that these were the two NFC teams that started with the best odds to win the Super Bowl this year. With other historical trends showing the Chiefs probably won't repeat either, that opens the door for quite a few other teams; namely the Lions, Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins, and your choice of AFC North team as likely candidates to go all the way.

This reminded me of the 11-0 Steelers a few years back lol

Voltage

OTTN5
is a Pre-Contributor
That's what recent history says, yeah. Technically it's less of "both teams will lose" and more a case of "neither team will win", but... come on, that's pretty much the same thing. Sure, historical trends can be broken at any time, but they're called trends for a reason. Just look at last year's Eagles team- they were the last undefeated team remaining for the 2022-23 season, too, and while I recognize there was a bit more to it than this (namely a controversial holding call late in the fourth quarter), the bigger problem was that they let the game get away from them like that.

Since your post reminded me, I do want to add that these were the two NFC teams that started with the best odds to win the Super Bowl this year. With other historical trends showing the Chiefs probably won't repeat either, that opens the door for quite a few other teams; namely the Lions, Cowboys, Bills, Dolphins, and your choice of AFC North team as likely candidates to go all the way.
hell yeah it's vikings szn

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)