Nintendo 3DS Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bad Ass

Custom Title
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 2nd Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
wow, rayman is pretty great. i already own it on my PS3, so i won't be buying it seeing as it's the same game, but it's a great port. of course the visual fidelity is not up to that of your home consoles, but it looks fucking good. probably the best 3DS visuals so far. it's a gorgeous game and i'm really glad that they managed to squeeze this much power out of the 3ds.

it controls just like the PS3, too. maybe a few issues because of no pressure sensitive buttons? but it really controls like a dream.

if you haven't gotten this on another platform, please pick it up. it's an amazing game and probably my favorite of the generation!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Details on Castlevania 3DS

which reminds me, I need to play all the Castlevania handheld games! I've had the one on xbla, where I have gotten to the second castle and not much further. Is there a recommended order for the handhelds?

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
So who else picked up Mario Tennis Open? I was really really excited for it but then I was pretty disappointed when I played it. Here are my gripes:

-The gamecube version of Mario Tennis was a little bit of a challenge, this game is just plain easy. I beat all 8 tournaments without dropping a single game, which shouldn't happen.

-In order to make items available to buy, you play tournaments/exhibitions. However in order to get coins, I have to play the stupid minigames (the ring one is easiest by far to get 700+ coins a pop on the "hardest" level btw). It really takes away from the game when I want to just play tennis, not fend off ink balls.

-Another thing about character customization is that you can only customize your Mii, which sucks (and makes them totally OP online, people rarely use other characters). It took me under two hours to make my Mii as powerful as Bowser, hit the ball with as much spin as Boo, and move faster than Yoshi. That's pretty ridiculous.

-Online mode sucks btw, the matches are way way way too short.

-The chance shots are the worst bullshit ever, it makes the game way too simple. The touch screen even FLASHES at you with what shot you "should" hit. At least you could turn off the Power Shots in the GCN game.

-Gyro controls are terrible, it forces you to play sitting up or standing. At least you can turn this "feature" off.

-Not quite a gripe but its stupid easy to get star characters once you've gotten the first one, you don't need to play the first three tournaments at all to play the Championship Cup which unlocks the star option. Its good in a way because it cuts down on the grinding I guess?

All in all the only reason I continue to play this is because I'm trying to beat an Ace character, which for some reason is leagues harder than the hardest tournament opponent. It's such a steep curve that seriously makes me question why I dropped 40 dollars on this =(

If anyone is in my position and wants to play a match or two though so I don't feel like I totally wasted my money, vm me your fc and we can set something up.

Details on Castlevania 3DS

which reminds me, I need to play all the Castlevania handheld games! I've had the one on xbla, where I have gotten to the second castle and not much further. Is there a recommended order for the handhelds?
Not really; they're all mostly self-contained.

How far back are you willing to go?

Circle of the Moon is the oldest one I know of (GBA), and it's nightmarishly difficult, and visually not all that appealing as everything is really dark and difficult to see.

Harmony of Dissonance is also GBA, and is okay but nothing amazing (I mainly like it for a "boss fight" where you don't actually damage the boss, you just knock him backwards until he gets caught in some grinding gears and crushed to bits).

I would start with Aria of Sorrow (GBA); it's one of the best ones they made, close to the Symphony of the Night level of greatness. Gameplay and visuals are good, and it's also the only one with a direct sequel.

Dawn of Sorrow (DS) is that direct sequel, and is also similarly excellent.

Portrait of Ruin (DS) is fun, but not as good overall as the previous two. It's got an interesting gimmick (two characters acting together), which leads to interesting puzzle segments (e.g. using one character and jumping off the shoulders of the other character to reach a platform; rapidly switching between characters while they ride motorised carts).

Order of Ecclesia (DS) isn't as good as Dawn, but I think it's better than Portrait. It's got a bit more of an RPGish feel, where you travel to different locations on an overworld map, and then enter them for the 2D sidescrolling game play. The weapon/magic system of absorbing glyphs is quite interesting too, but gets a little tedious early on and can be just broken towards the late game when you get certain combinations (Umbra+Vox Glyph Union, or Nitesco+Weapon Glyph Union, or even Double Nitesco with high INT).

This link supposedly confirms that Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem Awakening, Luigi's Mansion 2, NSMB 2, and Paper Mario will all be shown at E3. Most of these were expected eventually, but there was a concern that FE13 wouldn't be localized as it was confirmed for Europe but not North America.

That would be awesome, even if it would be a teaser like last time. They were supposed to start working after KI:U came out, but i don't think we've heard anything, so confirmation that they're working on it would be cool.

That would be awesome, even if it would be a teaser like last time. They were supposed to start working after KI:U came out, but i don't think we've heard anything, so confirmation that they're working on it would be cool.
Indeed. They've had like two months-ish after KI:U so I'm sure they at least have gotten through some planning stages and could've whipped something extremely basic up for us.

Someone just posted video showing the first 45 minutes of gameplay from Dragon Quest Monsters: Terry's Wonderland 3D. (Actual dungeon crawling gameplay starts around the 17:45 mark.) For those who don't know, the game is a remake of Dragon Warrior Monsters for Game Boy Color, a game that I'm sure many oldschool Pokemon fans are familiar with.
Ugh, watch as it becomes Japan only though >.>

I loved the old DWM (it'll always be Dragon Warrior Monsters to me), I mean it had far more replayability and even story than the current junk offerings. If the remake keeps the same randomly generated dungeons that actually, you know, made you explore the maps, it would be sweet, in addition to the old monsters (though sadly the old names and spells are all standardized now >.>).

So yeah, if this game was ever remade and released here, I would buy a 3DS in a heartbeat to get it, it would attract me far more than another Mario or even FE title. That's how much I liked the old DWM games.

The US got both Monsters Joker and Monsters Joker 2 (though it was weird that we got 2 instead of the Professional version of it, but whatever). I don't believe it's actually been formally announced yet, but there's practically no question that Terry's Wonderland 3D will get localized.

FlareBlitz

Relaxed nature. Loves to eat.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
So who else picked up Mario Tennis Open? I was really really excited for it but then I was pretty disappointed when I played it. Here are my gripes:

-The gamecube version of Mario Tennis was a little bit of a challenge, this game is just plain easy. I beat all 8 tournaments without dropping a single game, which shouldn't happen.

I never lost a tournament match, but I did lose games within the tournaments themselves. Agreeing that the single player is way too easy. The Doubles tournament has much better AI and is much more difficult, if you want to try that. And the Ace mode AI just plain cheats.

-In order to make items available to buy, you play tournaments/exhibitions. However in order to get coins, I have to play the stupid minigames (the ring one is easiest by far to get 700+ coins a pop on the "hardest" level btw). It really takes away from the game when I want to just play tennis, not fend off ink balls.

Agreed. This part was bullshit.

-Another thing about character customization is that you can only customize your Mii, which sucks (and makes them totally OP online, people rarely use other characters). It took me under two hours to make my Mii as powerful as Bowser, hit the ball with as much spin as Boo, and move faster than Yoshi. That's pretty ridiculous.

I actually like character customization. Yeah, it does make the Miis OP online, but different Miis are different types of OP. For example, I can serve at 150mph, but my Spin is horrible and my speed is only decent. Other characters have great spin but much less power. Agreed that other characters should have customization by the way.

-Online mode sucks btw, the matches are way way way too short.

Are you playing Quick or Extended? .__.

-The chance shots are the worst bullshit ever, it makes the game way too simple. The touch screen even FLASHES at you with what shot you "should" hit. At least you could turn off the Power Shots in the GCN game.

Every chance shot is 100% counterable and can be turned around on your opponent. Using a Topspin shot against a Curve chance shot mid-court or closer, for example, basically guarantees you a point, and is very difficult to deal with even if you hit it from the back court.

-Gyro controls are terrible, it forces you to play sitting up or standing. At least you can turn this "feature" off.

Agreed, but you're missing the worst part - it's OP online! In multiplayer, it automatically guides your character to the ball, meaning you can't "fake out" your opponents.

-Not quite a gripe but its stupid easy to get star characters once you've gotten the first one, you don't need to play the first three tournaments at all to play the Championship Cup which unlocks the star option. Its good in a way because it cuts down on the grinding I guess?

Viewed this as more of a benefit.

All in all the only reason I continue to play this is because I'm trying to beat an Ace character, which for some reason is leagues harder than the hardest tournament opponent. It's such a steep curve that seriously makes me question why I dropped 40 dollars on this =(

The Ace mode character is definitely hard, and great practice for online.

If anyone is in my position and wants to play a match or two though so I don't feel like I totally wasted my money, vm me your fc and we can set something up.

I'll get you my FC when I have access to my 3DS again (friend has it currently). I'm rated 2507 online.
My thoughts :3

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
i have to get to zeldauniverse and we've got to make this happen like right now

Personally, I'd love to see a MM remake. Not so much like OoT3D, but an actual remake in the mold of the pokemon remakes, complete do-overs:
[youtube]cyazYYev7Nw[/youtube]
yes yes yes
I've sold my soul to the happy mask salesman
but I think it would sell well even with people who aren't hardcore zelda fans
The 3Ds is a beast of a machine. I think it could run a stunning zelda game.

I've sold my soul to the happy mask salesman
Are you sure about that? He isn't really the best person to have business with.

But anyways, MM3DS would be the awesomest thing ever. I would buy it (a 3rd copy of MM) just so I could go to flip the stone tower temple and watch boulders falling into the sky in 3D.

...12 hours? Ok I'm sorry, but doing secrets or 100%+ map completions were never a selling point to me with Castlevania, so meh...

Maybe it'll at least offer different characters to unlock to play through as? Or a bosh rush or something?

That version of Harvest Moon for GB sucked, I have it; you couldn't get much more watered down. 2 and 3 on the GBC were much better and had more of the features like marriage and other fun secrets.

Though for me, nothing will ever beat the 64 version out, I still whip it out and connect my N64 just to play it at times.

...12 hours? Ok I'm sorry, but doing secrets or 100%+ map completions were never a selling point to me with Castlevania, so meh...

Maybe it'll at least offer different characters to unlock to play through as? Or a bosh rush or something?

If by secrets they mean entirely new ending sequences and bosses like they did in the DS platformers, I'd be up for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)