Metagame NP: NU (beta): Welcome to the NU Age (Combusken Banned)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can confirm right now that Venomoth, Sceptile, Sigilyph, Doublade, Sawk, Virizion, Spiritomb, and Barbacle will be banned at one point. Just watch.
Archeops, Malamar, Durant, Uxie, Malamar and Magneton also seem to be very likely candidates. NU will be fun with or without them though! So excited for this to get on the main server! :)

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I can confirm right now that Venomoth, Sceptile, Sigilyph, Doublade, Sawk, Virizion, Spiritomb, and Barbacle will be banned at one point. Just watch.
Archeops, Malamar, Durant, Uxie, Malamar and Magneton also seem to be very likely candidates. NU will be fun with or without them though! So excited for this to get on the main server! :)
Let's not jump to conclusions, haha. Especially over so many Pokemon, and especially-er over the fact that we haven't played the meta much yet.

Can one of the moderators please update this thread then?
Treat this like an OM for the time being. Don't worry about official banlists or whatever until NU is set in stone and ready to go.

When will the server refresh?
Sometime. (It will happen and there's no timeline for it, so don't fret over it much.)

Expulso

Morse code, if I'm talking I'm clicking
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
guys the answer is right below venomoth lol

XATUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
I BELIEVE IN YOUUUUUU

This is just a fun variation of the offensive normalspam cores of last gen and i was wondering what you guys think of this as an offensive core,
Scarf typhlosion
SD toxic boost zangoose
Guts swellow

I think this could be a a very dominant offensive core with typlo handling doublade very well and zangoose and swellow hitting just as hard as they did last gen, but tell me what you guys think

EDIT: 69th post ftw!

Last edited:
Pyroar is just amazing atm. It is a 6th-gen Charizard hitting super hard with powerful attacks, while having a speed that was before quite unseen in BW NU. A couple of sets we have already found to just be awesome!

#PYROARHYPE
ifrealspecshyperbeamomg
Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Ability: Unnerve
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
The cookie cutter set we were all expecting. This literally is the new Charizard. Unlike zard, it gets even more speed, less of a stealth rock weakness, and can still smack a bitch. Specs Fire Blast off of 109 SAtk is just nostalgia of Specszard, and needs no furhter explanation to the NU Community.

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Timid/Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pyroar makes for an amazing Choice Scarfer, hitting absurdly hard. Again like Zard, it acts as a great cleaner, but it is so fast it can actually afford to run Modest and still be a very viable revenge killer. Just cool.

Pyroar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Toxic

SubPyroar is honestly my favorite set. It is just so good, and it baits shit in like Costa, Barba, and Toad thinking you are choiced and just buttfucking them with HP Grass. Dat Blast can testify to its rapeage, and toxic can be there if you want to bait in and wear down walls. Hyper Voice and Fire Blast are obvious STABs. It gets to setup quite a bit.

Vryheid

fudge jelly
Durant is easily the most dangerous Pokemon in the tier. I honestly think it's even worse than Kyurem was in RU. It's extremely fast, hits ridiculously hard, and has some decent physical bulk with excellent typing. The only thing resembling a "counter" is Poliwrath, and you can blow that up with Thunder Fang if you see it getting popular:

252 Atk Choice Band Hustle Durant Thunder Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Poliwrath: 210-248 (54.6 - 64.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Qwilfish can also tank a few hits and paralyze it, but can't really do much back. A paralyzed Durant is extremely easy to revenge kill, however, due to its atrocious special bulk. Fire types tend to get outsped and demolished by Stone Edge/Rock Slide, so if you're determined to check it outside of the few counters your best bet is something bulky with a status move, such as Spiritomb with Will-o-wisp.

Pyroar is just amazing atm. It is a 6th-gen Charizard hitting super hard with powerful attacks, while having a speed that was before quite unseen in BW NU. A couple of sets we have already found to just be awesome!

#PYROARHYPE
ifrealspecshyperbeamomg
Pyroar @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]
The cookie cutter set we were all expecting. This literally is the new Charizard. Unlike zard, it gets even more speed, less of a stealth rock weakness, and can still smack a bitch. Specs Fire Blast off of 109 SAtk is just nostalgia of Specszard, and needs no furhter explanation to the NU Community.

Pyroar @ Choice Scarf
Timid/Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Grass]

Pyroar makes for an amazing Choice Scarfer, hitting absurdly hard. Again like Zard, it acts as a great cleaner, but it is so fast it can actually afford to run Modest and still be a very viable revenge killer. Just cool.

Pyroar @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Hyper Voice
- Substitute
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Toxic

SubPyroar is honestly my favorite set. It is just so good, and it baits shit in like Costa, Barba, and Toad thinking you are choiced and just buttfucking them with HP Grass. Dat Blast can testify to its rapeage, and toxic can be there if you want to bait in and wear down walls. Hyper Voice and Fire Blast are obvious STABs. It gets to setup quite a bit.
Will try this guy out but I do not now if you know this or not but it learns dark pulse.

Will try this guy out but I do not now if you know this or not but it learns dark pulse.
Dark Pulse is a weak coverage move used only for ghosts, who won't want to take a fire blast anyways. HP Grass is the only needed coverage, and Flamethrower is the best possible weapon for reliable cleaning.

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
HYPE HYPE HYPE

I posted this in the original theorymon thread, and my thoughts on this are still the same:

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 20 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Focus Blast

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

So right now this sounds like a very, very powerful core. Basically the point of this is for Magmortar to lure in the core's checks and counters for Typhlosion to sweep. Counters to Fire-types generally include bulky Water-types, Rock-types, and Ninetales. Guess what? Magmortar can weaken all of them to the point where Typhlosion can sweep. Expert Belt allows Magmortar to possibly bluff a Specs set and blast through a counter that thinks it is safe:
20 Atk Expert Belt Magmortar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 216-254 (75.26 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
216+ SpA Expert Belt Magmortar Hidden Power Grass vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 451-533 (112.46 - 132.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 245-288 (57.78 - 67.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

then Typhlosion cleans up:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 241-285 (56.83 - 67.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 117-138 (30.46 - 35.93%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Magmortar's 2 Tbolts + this will kill Politoed)

So, Fire spam looks incredibly dangerous right now, especially when NU suddenly has so many hazard removing options including Xatu, Defog Shiftry, and GOOD RAPID SPINNERS like Cryogonal and Knock Off Sandslash. Probably the only counters are things like Dragalge and Sliggoo, although they both can be worn down as well.

Also Brawlfest slash Endeavor y/n?

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
Some early thoughts:
- Sawk looks even more ridiculous than last gen, with its main counters now getting crippled/beaten with Knockoff. Especially with Alom gone :[
- I'm now super, super lost in this tier without Alomomola to fall back on.
- A ton of really good fire types (Typhlosion, Magmortor, Ninetales, Braixen) enjoy the fact that NU finally has usable hazard removal (defog is a godsend for this tier)
- Chatot is gonna be a monster. I've had success with it in RU, and even UU. If it stays NU for more than a few months after the tier gets settles I'd be surprised.
- Double Bird cores have found their way all the way to nu. Swellow, Archeops, Chatot, Siglyph, Vivillon, Scyther.. Take your pick :]

Once Moth and some of the other obviously broken things move up, this tier looks like it will once again be my favourite of the Generation. Long live NU <3

HYPE HYPE HYPE

I posted this in the original theorymon thread, and my thoughts on this are still the same:

Magmortar @ Expert Belt
Trait: Vital Spirit
EVs: 20 Atk / 216 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Earthquake
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass] / Focus Blast

Typhlosion @ Choice Specs
Trait: Blaze
Timid Nature
- Eruption
- Fire Blast
- Focus Blast
- Sleep Talk

So right now this sounds like a very, very powerful core. Basically the point of this is for Magmortar to lure in the core's checks and counters for Typhlosion to sweep. Counters to Fire-types generally include bulky Water-types, Rock-types, and Ninetales. Guess what? Magmortar can weaken all of them to the point where Typhlosion can sweep. Expert Belt allows Magmortar to possibly bluff a Specs set and blast through a counter that thinks it is safe:
20 Atk Expert Belt Magmortar Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Ninetales: 216-254 (75.26 - 88.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
216+ SpA Expert Belt Magmortar Hidden Power Grass vs. 200 HP / 56 SpD Seismitoad: 451-533 (112.46 - 132.91%) -- guaranteed OHKO
216+ SpA Expert Belt Magmortar Focus Blast vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 245-288 (57.78 - 67.92%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

then Typhlosion cleans up:

252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Lickilicky: 241-285 (56.83 - 67.21%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Typhlosion Eruption vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Politoed: 117-138 (30.46 - 35.93%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Magmortar's 2 Tbolts + this will kill Politoed)

So, Fire spam looks incredibly dangerous right now, especially when NU suddenly has so many hazard removing options including Xatu, Defog Shiftry, and GOOD RAPID SPINNERS like Cryogonal and Knock Off Sandslash. Probably the only counters are things like Dragalge and Sliggoo, although they both can be worn down as well.

Also Brawlfest slash Endeavor y/n?
I tried endeavor on the sub set. It is good, but offers less utility than Grass or Toxic, but is definitely a good option.

Also Fire Spam is super OP with Mortar, Typhlosion, Pyroar, etc. MLG

Vryheid

fudge jelly
now I know it's not fashionable and all to rep my main gal Xatu but she's really doing work in the NU battles I've played today. bounces back shit, gets up Light Screen, and counters the fuck out of Venomoth:

Xatu @ Light Clay
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Calm Nature
- Haze
- Psychic
- Roost
- Light Screen

some replays I guess cause barely anyone else is posting them:

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-117962383 - here she shuts down Venemoth (twice), gets up Light Screen, and generally is a pain in the butt to deal with

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/rubeta-117985620 - here she bounces back some rocks, kills something (amazingly enough), and generally is a pain in the butt to deal with

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Mismagius has to be the main thing I'm looking forward to using this gen. Used it in a couple of practice matches and I've found NP + Memento to be a pretty cool set; nabs a boost, does damage, and when it's done it can get a Memento off and let a teammate clean up. Really neat mid-game sweeper. Also pumped to try out Uxie, Sigilyph, and Scyther--SubCM Uxie sounds beastly on paper, as does LO CM Sigilyph and bulky SD Eviolite Scyther, so I'm really excited to test those. Obvs a fuckton of stuff to test out tho lol and I'll definitely be trying all of it :)

Aside from that, by far the most consistent Pokémon I've used so far is Shiftry. Defog / Knock Off / Sucker Punch / Leaf Storm is really amazing rn, incredibly versatile at what it can do: cripple shit with Knock Off, revenge with Sucker, smack physically defensive stuff with Leaf Storm, etc. It's just a fantastic all-purpose offensive mon, definitely gonna be a staple of NU this gen.

Shiftry @ Life Orb
Ability: Early Bird
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Defog
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Leaf Storm

#HYPE

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I have found the most powerful core of Pokemon in all the land. MUH BULLS

Tauros (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Zen Headbutt
- Rock Climb
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

Bouffalant @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Head Charge
- Stone Edge

This core is pretty cool actually, as besides just being double bulls, Tauros does a really nice job of luring in the pokemon that Bouffalant has a hard time getting around, specifically, Steelix and fast fighting types. Bouffalant just hits hard in general, and has really nice bulk which makes it really hard for defensive teams to beat him. I have just recently started to play a couple of games, and I have to say, NU is looking pretty fun at the moment.

Ok I know durant has been stealing the spotlight and will steal it until it gets banned but I've seen no one notice that klinklang is nu sure it has a pretty much nonexistent movepool but it has shift gear decent bulk and gear grind to break subs, just waiting till durant is gone though.

Looking forward to playing it :). Cool to see some RU mons drop from last gen like Dusclops and Spiritomb, I bet they'll fit NU nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)