NU RMT (my first team)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This team is themed around slaking's well being due to it's superiority to the rest of the nu field. (no thanks to traunt haha) I will use this team by switching out constantly, I personally like to refer to this as stutter sweeping. I'm not sure what else to say, keep in mind that I AM new to this. I'm not saying go easy on me, but at least critique in a polite fashion. Thanks! :)

Bastiodon
leftovers
impish
sturdy
252 HP/ 188 Def/ 68 SpD
stealth rock
roar
toxic
rock blast

To set up stealth rock, scout the team, break substitutes, and even wall the opponent.

Slaking
Choice band
adamant
traunt
252 atk/4 def/ 252 spe
return
earthquake
fire punch
pursuit

Back bone of the team. Decent type coverage and a rare 160 base attack. My team's theme is to enhance it and protect it. It has the move set given on here, and I reckon it was designed for type coverage. In the circumstance of slaking fainting, I will attempt to sweep with the rest of my team which is mostly special attackers. I will also have to rely on the fact that slaking took out all fire types while he was in there, due to my lack of water, ground, and rock attacks. haha

Shedinja
Focus sash
adamant
wonder guard
252 atk/ 252 spe
baton pass
swords dance
sucker punch
will o wisp

Block rapid spins (slaking desperately needs entry hazards). Also, to pass attack to slaking via swords dance. I might dry pass to slaking as well after I burn the opponent or block a rapid spin which will lead to a switch.

Xatu
undecided
Timid
synchronize
40 hp/252 SA/216 spd
psychic
sunny day
heat wave
wish

To help take down slaking's mortal enemies (fighting types) and to set up sunny day for tropius.

Tropius
choice specs
modest
solar power
252 SA/4 spd/252 spe
energy ball
solar beam
air slash
sunny day

I like the possible 600 SA thing, and it doesn't hurt to lay down the law on fighting types with air slash.

Gardevoir
choice scarf
modest
trace
60 hp/196 spd/252 sa
focus blast
psychic
shadow ball
trick

Type coverage, once again. Focus blast is to take down rock and steal. Trick is self explanatory. Yeah, at this point I was kind of lazy, it was either this or primape.

This is my first team. I realize NU is probably the most difficult tier to make a successful team for. As a beginner, this was definitely a challenge. But, that is why I have come to you guys, the experts. Help me out!

Ice-eyes

Simper Fi
Okay. Okay. Deep breaths.

I think Bastiodon is flawed as a lead because of its 4x weaknesses to Fighting and Ground, both common moves to be seen on leads like Primeape, Medicham and Sandslash. I would use Physically Defensive Gligar, as it can also set up Stealth Rock but has a much better spread of resistances as well as reliable recovery. The set would be:
Bold
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
U-Turn
Earthquake
Stealth Rock
Roost

Secondly, Slaking doesn't need Fire Punch since Return + Earthquake + Pursuit achieves perfect coverage in NU - there are no Ground-neutral or -immune Steels. Therefore I would use Sucker Punch or Shadow Claw in that last slot to hit Ghosts harder and possibly revenge things.

Thirdly, Shedinja dies to any attack and so cannot block Spin effectively. Moreover, you're not stacking Spikes, only setting up Stealth Rock, and Spin is actually quite rare in NU at the moment. More than that, though, Shedinja doesn't fit on any team that isn't built around it - one of the things every Shedinja team MUST have is Rapid Spin. Stealth Rock or Spikes will instantly kill Shedinja. If you really want a Ghost, I suggest Timid Sub Haunter with Life Orb or Leftovers and either:

Substitute
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power [Fighting]
Hypnosis

OR

Substitute
Shadow Ball
Hidden Power [Ground]
Explosion

I don't think the Xatu/Tropius duo is useful or necessary. It's just a situational little combo that's torn apart by any revenge killer. Instead, the space should be dedicated to some support for Slaking. If you're using Slaking, you need to make sure you have all the threats that can set up on it covered because there's so much that can. An all-purpose check to pretty much every set-up sweeper in NU is Skuntank. This is the set I recommend:
Life Orb
Adamant
32 HP/252 Atk/224 Spe
Sucker Punch
Taunt
Pursuit
Explosion

This Skuntank is a powerful revenge killer that can take down many of NU's most prominent threats. Offensive Calm Mind Espeon, for example, outspeeds and OHKOs your Slaking with a +1 Psychic, guaranteed with Stealth Rock. Skuntank can switch in and Sucker Punch or Pursuit it. With Sucker Punch, it can KO many sweepers, or at least put them into the range of Aftermath. It also traps and kills the Ghosts that like to switch into those Choice Banded Returns.

I would switch that Gardevoir out for a Choice Scarf Primeape, because it benefits more from Slaking luring out those Ghosts and can even pull off a sweep of its own. Also, U-Turn helps you scout for Ghosts and other pokes - the more you know about their team, the better you can predict with Slaking.

Something else you could use to support your team would be Slowking. Slaking often pulls in Special attackers to exploit its lower Special Defense, and Slowking can take many of these on. The opponent might also try and revenge Slaking with something like Choice Scarf Magmortar or Typhlosion, which Slowking takes on easily. It also has good defensive synergy with the rest of the team I have proposed.

I know it's a lot to change, but what do you think?

pro hahaha.

I am definitely out of my league. I will make most if not all of the suggested changes. Thank you for prevent me from wasting anymore time, and for stopping me from further embarrassing myself. I would shake your hand, but in the current technological state, I do not think it is possible. haha thanks.

haunter

Banned deucer.
Please expand your descriptions as they're definitely not up to rule 3:

RMT rules said:
3. Have some actual words in your post beyond your six Pokemon and their moves. Not following this makes your post quite boring to read and rate. All Pokemon should have a good reason for being in your team anyway, so why not post that reason? If you are having trouble with this one, start by giving an explanation for each team member. Why are they there? What role do they serve? How do you get them in? Then, give an explanation of how you would open with the team and how you would go about using it. All of these things help people rate your team and allow us to offer more helpful advice.

This does not mean add one sentence saying "Standard x" or "all-around awesome" after each Pokemon. If you put thought into making the team, you can put thought into posting it.
Take a look at the RMT archive to see what kind of descriptions we are looking for. PM me the fixed descriptions and I'll unlock this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)