Oak's Lab - A 20th Anniversary Giveaway! (Kanto Classic help)

Status
Not open for further replies.
"Hey! Wait! Don't go out! It's unsafe! Wild Pokémon live in tall grass! You need your own Pokémon for your protection. I know! Here, come with me!"

Hello Smogon, today is a great landmark in video game history. 20 years of Pokemon! I know I'm not alone in saying Pokemon has been a constant source of fun in my life since I first started playing Red Version when I was 8. It has been 18 years for me and I doubt it's going to stop anytime soon. RBY hold a special place in my heart because I don't think I played any game more than those - I remember everything. Raising my Pidgey to a Pidgeotto, beating Team Rocket in Mt. Moon, catching Scyther in Safari Zone, facing Articuno in Seafoam Island. So many memories with these games and for that reason I am grateful for Gamefreak.

Without further ado, here are the prizes:

#001-#003 Bulbasaur
Erik | 15707
Modest | Chlorophyll | ♂
31 | 13 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 30 (Hidden Power Ice)
Egg moves: Charm, Amnesia, Giga Drain, Ingrain
non-redistributable. Bred by me, hatched by mysticmagikarp of Reddit.
Stock left: 4

#004-#006
Charmander
Shaun | 36280
Jolly | Blaze (Tough Claws) | ♂
31 | 31 | 31 | 23 | 31 | 31
Egg moves: Dragon Dance, Outrage, Dragon Rush
Non-redis. Bred by me, hatched by fragor87.
Stock left: 5

#007-#009
Squirtle
Seth | 23990
Modest | Rain Dish | ♂
31 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31 | 31
Egg moves: Aura Sphere, Water Spout, Dragon Pulse
Non-redis. Bred by me, hatched by Solaire_95 on Reddit.
Stock left: 5

RULES: There are 15 prizes. 5 of each of these three. Specify which Pokemon you want. You must include why you're picking the Pokemon and what your favorite memory of Pokemon is. Include your FC and IGN, submissions that fail to do follow the rules won't be considered I will contact the winners separately. My pokemon are not redistributable unless I say you can redistribute. This giveaway may be extended if I can find someone to help with cloning and distributing. Big thanks to Gonzo206 for cloning these for this giveaway.

""Now, which Pokémon do you want?"

WINNERS (if your name is here and crossed out it means I delivered the pokemon to you already. If you do not pick up your pokemon in three days of me contacting I will move on to the runner up):

sater10 - Charmander
Reaper27 - Squirtle
BlackoutSLM - bulbasaur

Ceres - Bulbasaur
curly--wurly - bulbasaur
unmentionable13 -- squirtle
ParadiseEon -- squirtle
Hulavuta -- Bulbasaur

Sardus21 -- Bulbasaur
Ayra -- charmander
gepesek -- Charmander
bloomcool13 -- bulbasaur
Rivriven -- Charmander
minuteman -- Charmander
Namikaze -- charmander
@~~ Sasuke Uchiha -- Bulbasaur
Marowak2000 -- Squirtle

Last edited:
i would like to choose charmander. the reason to pick it is ... simple. since the first time i saw the original anime series of pokemon, i've already fallen in love with it. plus, i like how its evolution line's designed. in every game in which you are able to pick kanto starters, i always pick the charmander no matter what. i don't have memories of pokemon games on my childhood since the word or you can say existence of any game consoles were not exist that time. but i can have clear memory on how pokemon anime amazed me and brighter my childhood, mostly the charmander. with now, having 2 mega evolution forms, makes me love it more and more. hoping to get the Charizard Y, but all i have just Pokemon X, so a little bit let down.

FC: 0362-0470-8679
IGN : Sato

I would like to get the Squirtle because of my fondest memory of Squirtle. I have always loved the fact that it is a turtle, and now it's Blastoise Mega turns it into a tank, and it was the very first pokemon I ever had. I have been playing pokemon all of my life and have always made sure to have it as a major part of my team. Winning this would also be much appreciated by me, just to be chosen by someone of your caliber and I hope I win.

Fc: 5473-0511-2964
IGN: Kyle

I would like a squirtle.. i started playing pokemon blue when i was young and seeing the logo of pokemon blue as blastoise i choose it as a starter.. it was an awesome run for me with squirtle so much nostalgia... if ash has his pikachu... i have my squirtle to battle the first gen then.. i still remember my first run at the pokemon league, i tried 2 times and to no luck.. i'd had to get help from a butterfree(to fight lorelie) and level up blastoise to stand more damage from lance, it was a very satisfying run using all my potions and ether but i won against gary with only blastoise left standing. I'd wipe my memory to get the feels when you finish your first pokemon league ..

Fc:0318-7951-1268
Ign lolopanda

Last edited:
I would like to get Bulbasaur. I remember facing Green's Pidgey with it and winning after training alot and being so happy after that. Then go through Viridian forest with all those kakunas and metapods using leech seed to train all my weakest pokémons and evolving into Ivysaur. And when I would reach SS Anne, it would evolve into Venusaur, a giant toad with a tree on it's back. For me that was the coolest moment in the game for me. Ever since then, I've always tried to include Venusaur on my playthroughs. I would to have a shiny one, so I can Mega Evolve it, and continue to have the coolest toad ever on my team.

FC: 1950-8149-3966
IOGN: Sérgio

I would like the Bulbasaur. The reason is simple really - I started Pokemon Red with Bulbasaur. I remember him taking me all the way through the story mode, and I distinctly remember how proud I felt getting him to a level 100 Venusaur against the Elite 4.

In terms of my favourite memory in Pokemon, that goes back to Pokemon Gold. I was playing it through for the first time, had released the legendary dogs into the wild, and the first one I came across was Raikou. It was quite early on, I had no idea about the running away mechanics and I just threw an ultra ball at it. Amazingly, I caught it first time round. Raikou thereafter has always been my favourite Pokemon.

I believe my FC and IGN for Y are in my signature. :-)

EDIT: 3DS FC: 0130-1835-8156
Pokemon Y IGN: Steve

Last edited:
Hi there i woukd love a bulbasaur! In my very first play through i chose bulb as my starter and grafted my way to a venu, donking brock and misty ez. Then i traded it to my sister to help her fill her dex... My link cable fucked up and it never made it back to me, lost in the abyss between two gameboys. No shame in admitting i cried for a few days lol. Anyways id really like to get this bulb for my oras team. Venusaur has always been one of my faves.

My favourite memory in polemon is soloing the elite 4 with my level 100 dragonite in rby. That great hall of fame photo with just me and big bad dnite, most badass sprite ever btw.

Fc: 3754-9240-6912
Ign: ben

I would like to choose Bulbasaur, because is one of my favourite pokemon and my first pokemon ever, since 1999, on my pokemon red version (and is Masuda's favourite pokemon!). I start to play with my red version when i was 9, i will never forget all my battles against Gary and his Charizard, when he defeated me at Pokemon League, after i defeated Lance and I had only Venusar left against his Pidgeot, Exeggcutor and others.
I'll never stop to be gratefully to Gamefreak, 20 years of battles with my venusaur, choosen in almost all games (where it was possible), 20 years of emotions unforgettable. Thank you GF.

My favourite memory of all pokemon games goes probably at pokemon Gold version, when i tryed more and more times to defeat elite4, but i failed every time. i think that i took one month or more to defeat them, all my friends was assisting to my umpteenth battle against Lance and when i won after a long time of battles, my game boy color was die, i thought that was a normal process after my win, but was not. Sadily, i tryied to switch on my game but i realized that my win was lost, i cryed for one hour about. Back to home later, i trasferred my old Venusaur from pokemon Red and i redefeated the elite4, with my win this time, i saved the game twice and i resetted to verify my win. Thank you Venusaur.

IGN: ◆ Yin Saske ◆
FC: 0233 0822 6543

Last edited:
I would love to have a Bulbusaur. I love that little walking flower and he was my first starter to begin with. I don't really have a favorite memory of Pokemon, I've enjoyed it all ever since I was 8-9 years old and still do at the age of 24. But if I have to provide a specific example, I guess it would be evolution. Especially when I first started Pokemon and was unaware of when what Pokemon evolve. When my Pokemon suddenly evolved, I was usually left in awe.

IGN: Jackiass
FC: 3711-7716-0367

I would like to get a Charmander. It was always my starter in FireRed version. I was very young then, so my playstyle was "starter always first". First gym was easy thanks to move metal claw but I was struggling on the second one. Defeating Misty was one of the best feeling for me. After this Charizard was always in my team in every pokemon game. Also my best memory from the game was when I caught Mewtwo with ordinary pokeball after hours of trying, I was on a summer camp and with my friends we had to take turns because it was taking so long.

IGN: Rivriven
FC: 0963-3449-4046

i would like to choose Bulbusaur. the reason to pick it is because in the 6th gen venusaur is get little buff with the mega forme and nice ability and also thanks to new fairy type that venu resist, and i think in this 6th gen kanto starter deserve to be called the next rising star. For the memories i will pick pikachu from the first anime series that ash hard to tame at first moment until ash give his life to protect pikachu from other wild pokemon, and end the end pikachu fully trust him.

IGN: si.tole
FC: 4957 - 6373 - 7948

That choice of the century again, >.<

Okay. I gotta go with Squirtle, I guess. While I do like the Charmander family's design, I have found it a bit... overrated, especially per Gen VI, where he got outshone with a huge SR weakness, and is constantly in spotlight. There is Bulbasaur too, which to be honest, reminds me of Bulbapedia. :P The problem is, while I like Bulbasaur and Ivysaur's design, I am not a huge fan of Venusaur's. That leaves Squirtle, is fitting, to be honest. I am a Water-type person, choosing the Water-type starter every time in my first run-through, the only exception is BW and BW2, which Snivy captures my heart. Water brings a kind of calmness and peacefulness, and it is always my favourite element. Even though, I have never played through Gen I, instead starting at Gen II, so Kanto starters have never been my starters, I still understand that Gen I feel.

As for the best memory part, it is when I am playing with my friend, sitting down closely together, eyes unblinking, battling together in a tag battle at the Battle Factory. Pokemon is always about friendship and dreams, and that completely rings true to my friend and I. Memories of battling together, trading each other Pokemon, cheering for each other for taking on the Pokemon League... It is what brings Pokemon popularity, what Pokemon is truly about. There are so many precious memories, that it is impossible to list all of them. And Game Freak, please bring back the Battle Frontier, I really, really, want it back.

That is it, I think.

Happy 20th Anniversary and happy birthday, Pokemon. May you live on forever and train on, everyone.

IGN: Sapphire
FC: 5301-1819-7692

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I would really like a Bulbasaur. Even though my starter in my first game (FireRed) was Blastoise, Venusaur has been a favorite for me since I saw what he could do in the Pokemon Adventures manga where he was Red's starter. When I get Blue version today, I'll be picking Venusaur as well. I also really appreciate that you made a Chlorophyll offensive Venusaur, since I only have Mega Venusaur sets and you picked a cool name as well.

There are so many good memories to think about when it comes to Pokemon, but I'd honestly say maybe some of my best memories were in 2012 when I was first getting into competitive Pokemon. I remember getting SoulSilver (which is my favorite game) and discovering competitive Pokemon and that my in-game sets were terrible. I remember meeting one of my best friends later on that year whom I stay in touch with to this day and discuss/play Pokemon with, he's one of my best rivals.

My FC is 1392 4942 8972 and my IGN is Cara, thanks for the giveaway man.

I would like to request Charmander. He was my choice in pokemon red and even Brock and Misty were hard to defeat the sattisfaction to reach lvl 36 and realize your little lizard have become and awsome dragon is something i won't forget, Charizard finally reach lvl 100 on Yellow version with Flamethrower-Dig-HyperBeam-Fire Spin !!

As for my best memory... i don't know man there're so many moments; facing Gary as the Champion, catching Mewtwo, my firts Yellow playthrough with my old sister, catching Latias on Sapphire , build my first competitive team to win all the symbols on Emerald Battle Frontier, The Gold and Silver remakes, the Deoxys cutscene in Omega Ruby... But if i have to choose one , i'm gonna choose this moment exactly, when i look back to past and those memories as i realize time pass so fast and a big nostalgia hit me. Time passes, people change, i see life from another point of view, family friends... a lot of things change, but Pokemon have been always there ,on the hard times and on the good ones always bringing moments of joy, fun, frustration and satisfaction. All bless Satoshi Tajiri for creating thhe best franchise ever !!

Happy 20 years Pokemon, and congrats to all the trainers who enjoy this magical saga !

IGN: GEPESE
FC: 1693 2763 8849

Thanks so much, awsome giveaway !

Last edited:
I would love to have Bulbasaur. When I was young, I always battled with my best friend. I picked... Squirtle, he picked Bulbasaur. In our 6 v 6 battles, we used to play both out against each other, because we both wanted to prove that we had the best starter. That was such a cool time. So why Bulbasaur? Simply because I want to be "on the other side" this time.

As for my favourite memory. I think that was the day that I caught Mewtwo on Pokemon Blue for the first time. It was New Year's eve. In the time Internet acces was limited. I was playing the game and found Cerulean Cave and walked through it. Not knowing what I would find there. It was so cool to find and catch Mewtwo. This might even relate to my experience of - especially - Pokemon Blue in general. I did not know what Pokemon I would encounter, because I simply did not know which Pokemon there were. It was such a huge adventure discovering all these Pokemon during my journey. Unfortunately, I have never had this experience anymore after Gold and Silver, because, you know, the Internet and I cannot really keep myself from looking up the new Pokemon each generation. However, my aim is to do so for Sun and Moon! Lock myself up, don't check the internet, and just see what new things those games bring me :)

My FC is 4227-2126-7931.
IGN is Max.

Thanks for this awesome giveaway.

I'm gonna get some more clones of Bulbasaurs to accommodate the participants later today or tomorrow.

I'm glad you guys like Bulbasaur too since he's my favorite.

Charmander is the one for me. I gotta say that it was always the biggest challenge to pick him on the Red version (first copy I got to play Pokemon). I'm from Brazil and my favorite memory of him was at a bus trip my school class did back in 1997 and I was playing at Lavender town. Firts my best friends were watching and later everyone was close to my seat - most seeing that game for the first time.

My IGN is Rub, but unfortunately I don't remember my FC right now. I'll update this later, if I can still be part of this giveaway I would be really happy! Obrigado

My FC is 3153-6772-8770

Edit.: I've got mine, it looks awesome! Thank you very much Gabe for this giveaway! Will make good use.

Last edited:
Hey I would love to get a Squirtle!! It's because when I started my first game, FireRed, I chose Squirtle as my starter. It would be great to have that again. It was the first game I beat the elite four with and I did it with my Blastoise and Zapdos. They were high level. Blastoise was also my very first level 100 pokemon!! I'd love to get a Squirtle.
My fav pokemon memory is definitely the anime and/or beating the elite four for the first time. I love watching the anime and still do. Love to watch Ash get better and all the battles he has. And beating the elite four for the first time was amazing cause I didn't know any better and it was really hard when I started. It made me feel so accomplished.
Info in my sig.
Thanks!!!!

i would like the Bulbasaur cause i love them and their one of my favorte pokemon cause in x and y i choosed it and iused it for every thing

FC: 4227-1817-4733

Hi, I would really like to receive the Bulbasaur,because I really love the shiny version of his evolution line (especially the mega form).
My favourite pokemon memory ever is with Bulbasaur itself, despite being signed as the simplest choice for the story I simply loved his really powerful Razor Leaf (I cannot count how many criticals it landed), Leech Seed (always good to have some recovery)and the sprite for the back.For me that salad meant everything in every game of Generation 1.And Bulbasaur is so cute!Also,another reason is that when I started Pokemon Red again,I did this with my girlfriend and we picked the little toad together without even thinking about the choice,so I supppose this is another good reason ;)

FC: 2423-3346-0756 (FC name is Thunder)
IGN: Patagarru (ORAS)

Thanks for this giveaway mate :)

Last edited:
I love this choice. And as with every playthrough since RBY I go with the water starter. Blue was my first gameboy game ever and squirtle will forever be my favorite pokemon. I mean you have a cliche dragon, a walking flower, and a freaking turtle with cannons on it. On a practical note through previous giveaways smogon I already own both a shiny charizard and venusaur. I have yet a chance to get my dude squirtle in shiny form. My favorite memory would be ice beaming Lance to death with my man blastoise, forever cementing the tank turtle as my favorite pokemon. It didn't help that my brother's choice of charizard always lost in the head to head when we battled.

Random fact: Yellow version is the only iteration of pokemon in which I have completed the pokedex. I will likely be getting both yellow and blue on the eshop for the 20th anniversary release.

FC: 3454-1414-5144
IGN: Bobby

Thanks for the opportunity!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)