Media Obi Wan Kenobi series (spoilers!)

is the Kenobi series good so far?

• yes

• no

• kinda

Results are only viewable after voting.
Love the series so far, though I've had to rewatch some of the episodes again to gain a better appreciation towards them.

I'm one of those guys who grew up watching the prequels + Clone Wars before I watched the OT or ST, so I have a particular fondness for the timeline and the characters of that era. Obi-wan was and still is my favorite character in Star Wars as a whole, so I was excited to see him get his own series. I thought he'd be kicking ass and going on more discreet stealth missions like he did in CW and the prequels (wouldn't make sense for him to stay on Tatooine as the book of Boba Fett also entirely took place on that planet). To my surprise though, the Obi Wan we see in this series isn't like the one we saw in the Clone Wars or the prequels. Rather than being upbeat, confident, and skilled warrior he was back in the PT, he is broken, jaded and rusty, kind of similar to Luke from The Last Jedi. The series does do a good job of establishing why he is like this from th beginning, by showing us the consequences of unmasking himself towards the empire, but it still took a bit of getting use to. The rematch betwen him and Vader on my first viewing of Episode 3 felt... wrong. Obi Wan was running away from Vader, ignited his Lightsaber out of fear, didn't intrvene with the Force to save himself or stop Vader from murdering the villagers. Was this really the same guy that beat Darth Maul, Grievous, and pre-suit Vader. I had to rewatch that episode before it sat right with me.

Currently there are a few loose ends that the series has so I hope those get revealed in future episodes. I like most of the characters so far. I also like how the diverse the planets we have seen so far have been (though I wasn't really a big fan of the planet in the third episode). Don't really mind most of the retconns this series may lead to apart from the Grand Inquisitor's "death" (which I am 90% sure isn't the case and he just got injured which I am fine with). Leia being friends with Obi Wan is kinda cool and explains why she named her son Ben.

Hoping we see a bit more action in the next few episodes + Obi Wan's growth arc will be fulfilling + having some other loose ends tied up.

Okay see I agree and I think they made Ben a wuss because he didn't want to help the other Jedi that was on tattoine and at first he didn't want to help rescue Leia
Also I think sassyness runs in the family probably from shmi

Good so far.

I did not like Vader showing up this soon. Nor did I like how lopsided it was. Vader clearly could have killed him but didn’t think it was that “urgent.” I really don’t like when villains do this.

Good so far.

I did not like Vader showing up this soon. Nor did I like how lopsided it was. Vader clearly could have killed him but didn’t think it was that “urgent.” I really don’t like when villains do this.
Yeah, especially in this case. Might be because of what other Star Wars media set up, but I thought Vader wanting revenge on Obi Wan was one of his main, if not his only goal he actually cared about. I think they should have showed Obi Wan escape more narrowly or something if they aren't going to explain why he let Obi Wan go (In this episode, he seems more pissed that Obi Wan escaped so it doesn't seem like it was intentional). I wonder if this is also an issue w/ the episodes being reordered from the leaks, since iirc Vader's duel with Obi Wan was suppose to be in Episode 4, not 3.

Anyways, I liked this week's episode. It definitely delivered on the action front and showed Obi Wan more closely to how he was in the prequels and Clone Wars (in terms of Force Powers and saber combat). I liked that they went to Fortress Inquisitorious from Jedi Fallen Order & they did a good job of bringing the location to life. It looks exactly as how I expected to.

If there is one nitpick I have with the series that probably bothers me more than anything, its the shaky cam. I don't think this was really present in any of the movies or other series so far, so its really jarring to see here.

Okay see I agree and I think they made Ben a wuss because he didn't want to help the other Jedi that was on tattoine and at first he didn't want to help rescue Leia
Also I think sassyness runs in the family probably from shmi
Considering that both Owen & Leia have some sass, it might indeed be from Shimi lol

Who saw the fifth episode?
I did. Thought it was pretty good. Answered several questions that I had from earlier episodes.
The flashback scenes were fantastic. Genuinely felt bad for Reva when she got stabbed the same way she did as a youngling. And the practice duel between Anakin and Obi Wan was great, probably the best choreography in the show so far.

Errr my b for the double post but thought I'd bump the thread since the finale aired.

Overall, I enjoyed the series. There were some moments that I didn't like and rolled my eyes at, and other areas I thought the show had missed opportunities, but in spite of my gripes with the show, I think its still my favorite Star Wars show under Disney. Out of all the Star Wars shows, this one gave me what I wanted most, which is seeing an experienced Jedi help others solve their problems, regardless of complications that arise. We don't see many Jedi during the Disney era, which I think is such as shame.

One directing decision that I did not like was the frequent use of the shaky cam. Now, Star Wars has used the shaky cam a few times in the past, such as in Episode 1 when Anakin blows up the trade federation ship. However, the overuse of the shaky cam in this show felt jarring and made the entire series feel really cheap compared to the movies. It ironically made most of the scenes where it was used feel less tense and more confusing. I am hoping that future Star Wars projects don't use the shaky cam as much. Also, I think it would have been cool if they used Duel of the Fates in the finale, but I guess I can understand why they decided not too.

I like how each of the episode's mirrored their respective Star Wars movie. Here are some of my favorite moments from each episode:

1. Bail Organa coming to Tatooine to tell Obi Wan to encourage Obi Wan to rescue his daughter.
2. Obi Wan infiltrating the drug lab and beating up the kidnapper. Also the moment Obi Wan realizes Anakin is still alive.
3. Obi Wan being dragged through the fire and burned alive.
4. Obi Wan killing the stormtroopers in the unlit room.
5. The flashback scenes.
6. The duel between Obi Wan and Vader, Obi Wan saying the line, and seeing Qui Gon's force ghost at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)