Official TPCI Pokemon Tournament 2009 | Congrats to all who participated!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow wow not too long 'till Texas gets started. I finished my team and I'm very worried over it. Its cliche for doubles, but kinda different(imo). Anyways anyone looking for test double battles I'm always up. I really want to see how my team does, and whether or not I need to just scrap it all. Anyways PM away.

Kinneas

puffoon
is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
It's so sad to hear of people not getting selected who have put so much effort in. I'm dreading it myself. I keep saying it won't happen but knowing my luck...

Bad idea bears?? From Avenue Q? I love those bears!
*ahem* on topic, any info on how many sun teams are ran? With the number of rain teams going around, I'd assume it'd be a rather low number.
Practically none. A few Rain dance teams, I saw two, everything else, such as hail & sunnday were no where to be seen. Though, the Junior champ of Seattle used a Blizzarding Hail team.

Thanks Sid that helps quite a bit. Curse fake out for being normal instead of dark... Not sure of anyone else, but I love the vast(seemingly) options in doubles. I really don't have too much fear over trick rooms, but...I don't know. How constant has trick room been?

Thanks Sid that helps quite a bit. Curse fake out for being normal instead of dark... Not sure of anyone else, but I love the vast(seemingly) options in doubles. I really don't have too much fear over trick rooms, but...I don't know. How constant has trick room been?
Depends. batpig used a TR team to great success, but the only real way to stop a TR team is with a ghost taunter that's faster than Dusknoir, and it works only if Smeargle is lured to hit Weavile since most people expect Taunt on Weavile rather on their ghost one. Regardless, they think you'll taunt Noir w/ Weavile, so they Fake out Weavile and let the other Pokemon hit Dusk, letting it get TR up. The objective is to not even give them that chance, so instead, you Fake out the Smeargle and Taunt with the Ghost pokemon. Now, you have to make sure though, that the Smeargle is lured to hit your non-ghost Pokemon so that it doesn't use Follow me, if it does, you might as well call it game.

Depends. batpig used a TR team to great success, but the only real way to stop a TR team is with a ghost taunter that's faster than Dusknoir, and it works only if Smeargle is lured to hit Weavile since most people expect Taunt on Weavile rather on their ghost one. Regardless, they think you'll taunt Noir w/ Weavile, so they Fake out Weavile and let the other Pokemon hit Dusk, letting it get TR up. The objective is to not even give them that chance, so instead, you Fake out the Smeargle and Taunt with the Ghost pokemon. Now, you have to make sure though, that the Smeargle is lured to hit your non-ghost Pokemon so that it doesn't use Follow me, if it does, you might as well call it game.
You're correct. Although I do enjoy the doubles 4v4 metagame much more than I had ever enjoyed singles, it occurred to me lately that there truly is one dominant strategy, which happens to be Trick Room with Smeargle support and a BellyLax. To me, it usually comes all down to prediction in the end. If you can predict all of your opponents critical moves, then IMO, the mentioned strategy is pretty much guaranteed a win.

You're correct. Although I do enjoy the doubles 4v4 metagame much more than I had ever enjoyed singles, it occurred to me lately that there truly is one dominant strategy, which happens to be Trick Room with Smeargle support and a BellyLax. To me, it usually comes all down to prediction in the end. If you can predict all of your opponents critical moves, then IMO, the mentioned strategy is pretty much guaranteed a win.
Yeah, but it all depends on what the user of the BellyLax thinks. Also, just so you know, the BellyLax gets owned by the Machamp/Lapras team, as they are anti-TR.

There's a video online that you can see on your DS I think, it's a team w/ BellyLax and Gross iirc. It got annihilated fyi, and the guy using it was a guy named Greg.

Yeah, but it all depends on what the user of the BellyLax thinks. Also, just so you know, the BellyLax gets owned by the Machamp/Lapras team, as they are anti-TR.

There's a video online that you can see on your DS I think, it's a team w/ BellyLax and Gross iirc. It got annihilated fyi, and the guy using it was a guy named Greg.
How so? Please elaborate. I don't quite seem to understand the strategy behind that combination. I mean, I understand how Snorlax can be taken out easily by a DynamicPunch, but can't a Metagross, Dusknoir, or Spiritomb just as easily outspeed Machamp under TR to Psych Up the boost before Snorlax faints?

How so? Please elaborate. I don't quite seem to understand the strategy behind that combination. I mean, I understand how Snorlax can be taken out easily by a DynamicPunch, but can't a Metagross, Dusknoir, or Spiritomb just as easily outspeed Machamp under TR to Psych Up the boost before Snorlax faints?

this is the video of the lv1 smeargle team getting pwn 45-27179-46441

Hmm, I'll explain later, I have to go out now.

On a side note, go check Pokemon.com, Huy's picture and the Junior's champion is there, but the group photo wasn't posted unfortunately.

TR has been a recurring theme in the Top 4 of the first two events. I think 3/4 in Seattle and 2/4 in SFO? So yea, it's a pretty common strategy for the better teams (thus far_.

This definitely isn't true, there are many other ways to prevent TR from getting set up. These include having one pokemon with Fake Out and one with Taunt, or having a Crobat/Alakazam with Taunt, both of which will almost certainly prevent TR. Also having a pokemon on your own team with TR to negate their TR works. Having something that can KO the TR user and another pokemon with Taunt. I could on and on, there's a lot of ways to stop it.

Also, "call it a game" if TR is set up? That makes absolutely no sense, just because your pokemon are faster doesn't mean you're assured of victory... at all.

I wouldn't call this the dominant strategy. It can be messed up in tons of ways, although if it's not, chances are it will dominate. In pokemon, when one strategy becomes extremely popular and successful, people will instantly begin thinking of ways to counter it, so it only remains successful for so long before it just becomes predictable. That's not to say the TR BellyLax won't evolve to meet these challenges, you just won't be seeing too many teams like mine after a while.

Thanks guys. This is helpful. So taunt is the enemy of TR. But follow me should fix that. If taunted, does switching out get rid of taunts effect? Then again since it is doubles switching might not be good...Hmm.

I wouldn't call this the dominant strategy. It can be messed up in tons of ways
Just because TR can be disrupted doesn't mean it's not the most dominant strategy. The winner of both Seattle and San Francisco were using trick room teams, and the world showdown champion of 2008 won with a trick room team. If that doesn't spell out most dominant, then tell me what does....

Edit: I guess if you're referring to TR bellylax, then I would agree it's not the most dominant strategy. But trick room has definitely proved to be the most dominant strategy thus far.

I agree with Diesel, Trick Room with Lax and/or Smeargle is good, but I wouldn't call it dominant? I mean, Goodstuffs has to be just as popular, if not more in Japan, kinda interesting we haven't seen any of them mimic'ed en mass.

As stated by many people, most Trick Room teams are utterly predictable and what is more, most players don't even know how to use it correctly, thinking of the guy in Frisco who ripped off Diesel's team and got raped by Sidd and that is where any goodstuffs can be effective. The advantage of goodstuffs is simply their massive damage output as opposed to set up teams like rain and TR whose output without a successful set up is pretty pitiful. What I noticed as well is the lack of use of protect in your American tourneys... in some of the videos I would have stalled out enemy Trick Room with protect.
No matter what, prediction in 2on2 is at least as important as in other modes and that is where I see the mistakes of many Smogonites's teams because some of you are like "i gets set up -> i r teh win".
I thought about Taunt and Fake out as well... The problem I see is that their users are often fast and frail and lose to Trick Room teams when they just attack instead of trying to set up... For instance, Dusknoir can Shadow Sneak Taunt Gengar for a 2HKO, rendering Gengar's Taunt useless as it probably will be going down the turn after.

I wonder what will be used in the European qualifiers... I expect a lot of goodstuff teams, to be honest.

Same- my team has trouble with those. My Qwilfish gets really out of its depth if it has no rain support, but with rain support it can beat most goodstuff 1 on 1. Dies a bit easily though, and she's kinda frail. 2HKOs basically anything and OHKOs the rest, however. Though come to think of it, follow me screws up my leads a little. All I can hope for is to use rock slide and flinch the TR guy while killing Smeargle/Togekiss. Although if I can OHKO Togekiss with either of my leads, that's awesome.

As for the Gengar vs. Dusknoir situation, you can always switch out Gengar for something else- if Gengar's taunted the opposition's TR setup, his leading job's done. Then the enemy Dusknoir'll be really easy to predict, and Gengar can come out later to kill some dudes. The only worry is what the second pokémon does, but chances are it'll be attacking your other guy anyway seeing as your opponent will be expecting to take out Gengar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)