[on site] The guide to D/P Uber Battling

I like azelf in ubers, as it can kill one or more pokemon with focus slash, I run:
Azelf@Focus Sash
252 Speed/ 252 Sp. Attack/6 Hp
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Explosion
HP Fighting

You can kill the psychics out there with shadow ball, and hp fighting takes care of tyranitar. Normally I use Nasty Plot, then get saved by the focus slash, then sweep, and explode when there's something that walls you.

I like azelf in ubers, as it can kill one or more pokemon with focus slash, I run:
Azelf@Focus Slash
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Explosion
HP Fighting/Ice

You can kill the psychics out there with shadow ball, and hp fighting takes care of tyranitar. Normally I use Nasty Plot, then get saved by the focus slash, then sweep, and explode when there's something that walls you.
nothing wrong with it, just mentioning that it's focus SASH not slash

This is a great guide and I will definitely refer to it when I make a team for Uber. However, there are a few minor mistakes I wish to point out.

Under Dialga's description, it says "... and one of the the top ranked type combinations..."

There is an extra "the" there.

Under the Latios and Latias description, it says "They also received Grass Knot.for..."

There is an unnecessary period between "Grass Knot" and "for."

Under Blissey's description, it says "For maximum special wall capablities..."

"Capablities" should be spelled as "capabilities."

Under the Swift Swimmers section, Latias should be capatilized.

In the sample team section, it says "...Earthquake is almost a requrement.."

"Requrement" should be "requirement."

These are the only mistakes I found. Other than that, is flawless in my opinion.

Would a segment regarding Uber stalling be covered by this guide, does that get its own guide, or is that not worth covering at all?

By the way, this guide is fantastic. It really helped me understand the Uber metagame.

EDIT: Quick note, under Latias' description you write "this may seem small compared the others". Should be "this may seem small compared to the others".

Posting to agree that this is a good guide.

But I'd like to see some Seaking mention. It seems like a joke, but its Speed it doubled by Rain, and it gets Megahorn, which is a key difference between the listed Swift Swimmers. The only problem is that it's walled by Giratina, which is used on 90% of teams for Extreme Killer Arceus. But so is Heracross, and he got a mention.

sandman

Bum bum bum bum
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Azelf@Focus Sash
Nasty Plot
Shadow Ball
Explosion
HP Fighting

This set is inferior to mewtwo because mewtwo has better stats in everything but attack, he is not out speed by darkrai which can cause problems for azelf, and he can taunt blissey instead of blowing up on her.

add this i use it sometimes
roserade@ choice scarf. Timid
ev4hp/252 spd/ 252 satk
Leaf Storm
Toxic Spikes
HP ice /shadow ball
sleep powder/shadow ball

Scarf is for outspeeding most things because it is so fragile will take some prediction or a sac to get in.

Scares Away Weather Trio with leafstorm does massive damage espspecially unresisted .only speed ties with scarf kyogre which is noteable.and is why hp fire would be inferior. u can use grass knot instead if you would rather not switch out. but with a guaranteed power of 140 though missing hurts i still use leafstorm.

Secondly Clears Toxic Spikes from your side of also being able to set up your own. Fast Enough to get 2 layers most of the time.

Sleeping is last use for it disabling a possible threat. Ice hits dragons hard not named latias. Shadow ball is for type coverage on lots of psyhic ghosts in ubers metagame.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Grass Arceus deserves a mention for being a great Kyogre, Palkia to an extent, and Manaphy counter as well as (ab)using his resists or buying Fire neutrality with Rain support.

This is the best guide on the face of the Earth.

INTRODUCTION TO UBERS
The uber metagame is almost a forgotten metagame, the main reason being that everyone plays the Overused metagame (OU), and the fact that some other people even think that Ubers take no skill to use. However, they are wrong. Uber matches are full of strategy. They pack more power and movepool than many OU pokemon, making the Uber metagame is quite unbalanced; this is how, when and where strategy, prediction and critical thinking shine the most. One wrong move can destroy its user if one is not careful. This guide will hopefully help one pick Pokemon and their individual aspects (EVs, moves, etc.) that will thrive in the Uber metagame.
Shouldn't that sentence have the "is" removed?

Groudon:When not Swords Dancing, Groudon can be a Choice Bander (although he greatly fears Rayquaza switching into a Choice Banded Earthquake), Choice Scarfer to boost that mediocre speed, or a defensive player to stop Tyranitar, Metagross and Rayquaza
Missing a period at the end.

Latios and Latias:They also received Grass Knot.for Groudons and Tyranitars.
The period should be tooken out inbetween Knot and for.

add this i use it sometimes
roserade@ choice scarf. Timid
ev4hp/252 spd/ 252 satk
Leaf Storm
Toxic Spikes
HP ice /shadow ball
sleep powder/shadow ball

Scarf is for outspeeding most things because it is so fragile will take some prediction or a sac to get in.

Scares Away Weather Trio with leafstorm does massive damage espspecially unresisted .only speed ties with scarf kyogre which is noteable.and is why hp fire would be inferior. u can use grass knot instead if you would rather not switch out. but with a guaranteed power of 140 though missing hurts i still use leafstorm.

Secondly Clears Toxic Spikes from your side of also being able to set up your own. Fast Enough to get 2 layers most of the time.

Sleeping is last use for it disabling a possible threat. Ice hits dragons hard not named latias. Shadow ball is for type coverage on lots of psyhic ghosts in ubers metagame.
Roserade will never be able to get two layers of TS down because it's too frail to survive long in Ubers. There are better supporters to choose from (though supporters aren't in heavy use in Ubers anyway).

Scizor (♀) @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 176 HP/102 Atk/56 Spd/176 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Roost
- Pursuit
- Brick Break
---

This is what i use in ubers, counters almost all of Darkrai and Lati@s sets and serves as a decent counter to Blissey, with the Sdef evs it takes most uber attacks for under 50% and isnt even OHKOed by Mewtwo's Specs Flamethrower in the rain.

The Speed Evs also allow it to outspeed the rare Shedinja so it can attack before it's Will O Wisped

Life Orb makes up for the Sdef EV investment and The attacks are pretty self explanatiory.

Pursuit almost OHKOs the Lati twins and if they stay in they will be OHKOed by U-Turn, Technician Pursuit will also 2HKO if they stay in, Brick Break is to prevent being walled by Dialga nd Blissey and Roost is the ever so useful recovery move.

[Bronzong: Bronzong can use its Steel/Psychic typing and respectable 116 base defenses to do some stalling in Ubers. Levitate removes its Ground typing, allowing it to beat some Groudon and all Metagross, and it can do significant damage to fast Ubers like Latios with Gyro Ball. Bronzong is capable of beating walls such as Lugia with Toxic while avoiding Poison itself through its Steel typing. Additionally, it can spread Poison around many sweepers, as it can switch in on Pokemon such as Latias decently due to its coveted Ice and Dragon resistance. Bronzong can also take attacks such as Choice Specs Mewtwo's Aura Sphere with plenty of Hit Points to spare, and Rest off the damage later. When Bronzong is about to faint, it can finish off with an immensely powerful Explosion. Note that Bronzong needs major Special Defense investment to compete in Ubers, though.
it should read weakness not typing

I was wondering, would Poliwrath be good for Uber battling? Poliwrath can come in on a Scarf Kyogre using Water Spout, assuming you predicted correctly, would then Sub up and Focus Punch an incoming foe?

i noticed the alternative Metagross set in the sample team, quite interesting. are there any other resources that have alternative Uber spreads for OU pokemon? i'd like to know what other possible EV spreads could be used in the uber environment, if any. or do most standards, like CB Metagross, work well without specialized EV adjustments? i know Registeel has a tanking set for Ubers and OU separately. could a separate Uber spread be viable for more pokemon?

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
On the topic of non Ubers in Uber play, it seems like Choice Band Scizor can survive pretty nicely n ubers, seeing as half of all ubers are psychic, and it has STAB X Scissor as well as access to Pursuit to hit fleeing Deoxys-A, and technician quick attack to pick off weakened foes, and resists Darkrais main attack, being Dark Pulse
EDIT: nevermind, looks like Maniaclyrasist beat me to it

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Perhaps you should include a special mention as to Arceus's status?
If I can be here tomorrow, I'll be adding this and a load of other stuff I've missed

- Grammar/spelling fixes
- Maniac's Scizor to the threat list
- Dugtrio to the threat list
- Garchomp to the threat list

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Most of the stuff added, may be adding some stuff later. Sage, edit them if you need to

BlueCookies

April Fools 2009 Participant
VGC '10, '11, '12 Masters Champion
One may ask why Wobbuffet is Uber; its stats besides Hit Points are very low, and its movepool consists of a meager seven moves.
Wobbuffet actually has a meager eight moves. It gets Tickle as a Wynaut in some event.

Overall I love this guide. This guide taught me a lot about Ubers when I was first interested in them. Great job on it Jibaku and Great Sage.

obi

formerly david stone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Two sides argued valiantly, but neither can budge the other into finally believing that one side is correct. Due to this, it is decided that Arceus is playable ONLY if both players agree on it's use. In ShoddyBattle, the checking of the Extended Game Clause allows the use of Arceus (and Shaymin, Jaboca Berry, Rowap Berry and Custap Berry).
Shaymin is allowed without Extended Game Clause, Micle Berry is not allowed without it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)