Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bad

Votes: 4 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenTheDemon

Banned deucer.
There's not much to say that isn't bluntly obvious, so here's a Bill Maher video explaining this issue.
So how do you feel about Open Carry laws? Are they good or bad? I personally think they are bad, because you can never tell the difference between a gun nut and a murderer.

So discuss Open Carry laws here.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a pretty bad OP for what could be a good topic. The video is so damn one-sided and just masks the common "guns r bad" argument with insults and humor. Frankly, all I see is somebody saying "haha, you own guns? You must not be a SANE person and have a sexual attraction for your guns".

Open carry discussion =/= restaurants banning guns. Restaurants are not public property, and you give up your personal rights when you enter one. I completely support open carry laws, even as a more liberal idealist. If I had my perfect world I'd love to know that everyone walking around with a gun is a trained expert at using one rather than somebody that walked into a store, but that's not the point. Just like freedom of speech and freedom of religion, freedom to carry your guns is a-ok.

That said, there's a line that can be crossed. Society frowns on WBC members or abortion protesters (not to compare either groups to good gun owners) loudly protesting in public places, and the same is said about people that walk around with rifles specifically for the purpose of making people upset and rallying. When the line is crossed, that's where "disturbing the peace" comes in. Also, let's be frank--you're less likely to go up and challenge somebody rallying in public if they're all heavily armed. Not at all that most gun owners are like this (I really don't want to imply that), but there are countless of examples of rallies by many groups of various political ideals turning violent. That's not made better by everyone in this ideal being armed.

Tl;dr owning a gun is great. Carrying it around in public is great. Being a dick is not. Carrying a gun around and being a dick about it is not.

Jorgen

World's Strongest Fairy
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Personal rights don't only exist on public property. I have the right to not get the piss beat out of me whether I'm in a restaurant or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)