Sticky Orange Islands SQSA Thread

Shadow Pokémon cannot be shiny in XD; only Pokespot and the Starter Eevee/Duking’s Pokémon can be shiny. It’s basically the polar opposite of Colosseum, where Shadow Pokémon could be shiny, but giftmons like Plusle and the Starter Eeveelutions are shiny-locked.
I had heard that before but it slipped my mind when making my post. Thanks for the correction.

This question is about USUM. If you have not completed USUM, don't answer. Thank you.
USUM came out shortly after Sun And Moon. But USUM feels so much like Sun And Moon that I don't know why they would release a remake so quickly. Maybe it was a sequel like Black 2 and White 2, But it's so close to Sun And Moon that it can't be a sequel! Pls answer with a good reason.

This question is about USUM. If you have not completed USUM, don't answer. Thank you.
USUM came out shortly after Sun And Moon. But USUM feels so much like Sun And Moon that I don't know why they would release a remake so quickly. Maybe it was a sequel like Black 2 and White 2, But it's so close to Sun And Moon that it can't be a sequel! Pls answer with a good reason.
$$$$$$$

Unfortunately they had enough gimmicks in to make it seem like there was a lot more content in pre-release marketing. Ultra Megalopolis seemed like a big new area, same with mentions of other Ultra Beast worlds, the Battle Agency seemed like it could have been a Battle Factory-esque mode, and there was a lot of talk about more story with the Recon Squad and lots of extra scenes. As you said, it did not feel like a sequel at all, especially when compared to B2W2. And of course there're additions that change competitive Pokemon such as move tutors that would appeal to competitive players. Whether that's enough to warrant another game or not is up to you. Either way they have sold about 4 million copies which considering costs for adding in all the extra features is nowhere near the cost of a full game, that's a tidy profit for the devs and publishers.

USUM was also a good "test ground" for things like increased difficulty and introducing pokemons mid-gen, features that we might or might not see again in Gen 8 games, and being the very last game of the Pokemon main series for the DS console, it was probably a valid idea to risk losing sales in order to try out things.

(sales that they didn't lose, plus worldwide critic is insanely high for USUM anyway outside of Japan, so any thought of "the game sucks" got disproved by the general consensus ;) )

Hello. I'm am going to start shiny hunting in USUM. Any tips for a shiny hunting beginner. (I know that the shiny odds are not 400. Pepole can't read about.)

They're a bit more like Crystal, Emerald, and Platinum in that they're essentially the third improved version with minor story tweaks. It's up to the consumer to decide if these tweaks and boatload of new and returning features is worth buying more or less the same game again, (if indeed they bought "vanilla" Sun or Moon previously) but the reception has been generally positive.

That, and with the core series Pokemon game for the Switch coming out sometime late this year at the earliest, they wanted to sell one last set of games for the 3DS. They probably would've liked to have sold us a "Pokemon Z" with a focus on Zygarde and its 10% and Complete formes, too, but 2016 was the series' 20th anniversary and kind of needed a bigger announcement than a third game set in a region we had recently explored, so there went that possible plan.

They did the same thing with Yellow, Crystal, Emerald and Platinum. I think people are naturally inclined to compare USUM to BW2 because there’s two games, and therefore people are upset they’re remakes rather than sequels like BW2 were, but USUM is much closer to the usual follow up games that were released for the first 4 gens that no one seemed to be complaining about. And a lot of people were actually annoyed they didn’t do a follow up game last gen when it seemed like they had set up a Pokémon Z with Zygarde as the cover legendary but didn’t actually follow through on it.

apparently Punishment has been added as an Egg Move for Murkrow but with no definable parent. Anyone got any ideas what's going on there?

Sondero

Don't you dare say you'd rather lose!
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
apparently Punishment has been added as an Egg Move for Murkrow but with no definable parent. Anyone got any ideas what's going on there?
If a Pokemon that could breed with Murkrow knew Punishment, the hatched Murkrow would know the move. However, the only Pokemon in the Flying Egg group that can learn Punishment is Vullaby/Mandibuzz, which is female only, meaning that if you can't breed Punishment onto Murkrow.

Long story short, it's a mistake by Game Freak. Murkrow could get Punishment as an Egg Move, but there's no possible way to get it, unless through hacked parents right now.

IIRC they did the same mistake in HGSS (Nosepass got Head Smash as an Egg Move but had no possible parents) and in GS (Staryu had Egg Moves even though it's genderless)

Long story short, it's a mistake by Game Freak. Murkrow could get Punishment as an Egg Move, but there's no possible way to get it, unless through hacked parents right now.

IIRC they did the same mistake in HGSS (Nosepass got Head Smash as an Egg Move but had no possible parents) and in GS (Staryu had Egg Moves even though it's genderless)
Huh. I guess we just wait and see whether any Flying Pokemon that can be male will get Punishment in the next gen, or if they'll simply remove the move from Murkrow's list of egg moves. (likely the latter)

I'm curious, is there a Discord for discussing in-game tier lists and such? Or even a Discord for OI in general?

I'm mad with all the banning of pokemon. Especially in OU. Why do they ban so much? Are they trying to limit sets to one or two viable teams? Every time a mon is the head of a set it gets banned. Every time a good mon gets used enough it gets banned! Why do they ban so much? :psysad::psysad::psysad:

I'm mad with all the banning of pokemon. Especially in OU. Why do they ban so much? Are they trying to limit sets to one or two viable teams? Every time a mon is the head of a set it gets banned. Every time a good mon gets used enough it gets banned! Why do they ban so much? :psysad::psysad::psysad:
1. Wrong board to complain.
2. It's because the COMMUNITY here on Smogon VOTED democratically to ban those mons for various reasons, be they good or bad.
3. No bans have been made in OU for a while since the meta has settled.

USUM was also a good "test ground" for things like increased difficulty and introducing pokemons mid-gen, features that we might or might not see again in Gen 8 games, and being the very last game of the Pokemon main series for the DS console, it was probably a valid idea to risk losing sales in order to try out things.

(sales that they didn't lose, plus worldwide critic is insanely high for USUM anyway outside of Japan, so any thought of "the game sucks" got disproved by the general consensus ;)
Good answer to my question! I understand now! Thx!

Would it be fun or fair for something like Guzzlord or Alolan Raichu to face Speed Boost Blaziken, for example? There are a number of Pokemon that just immediately get placed in Ubers, (Blaziken, nearly all mascot legendary Pokemon) while others go through suspect tests. You should really take a look at those threads to try and understand why the bans or promotions from the lower tiers instead of asking about it in the one sub-forum on Smogon not for discussing competitive battling.

I have a question! Can you think of a reason why Zeraora is only Electric and not Electric/Fighting?
It looks a bit like a saiyajin from Dragonball, in my opinion; it learns many punch moves and also moves like a fighter.
I really don't understand what the developers were thinking about this.

I have a question! Can you think of a reason why Zeraora is only Electric and not Electric/Fighting?
It looks a bit like a saiyajin from Dragonball, in my opinion; it learns many punch moves and also moves like a fighter.
The fact Zeraora is monoelectric is indeed a source of disappointment from a lot of people. Unique stab combination could have been pretty neat, and electric/fight isnt too terrible defensively either.

Only GF knows :(

Maybe it has something to do with the lore behind Zeraora whenever it'll be presented in a movie or the anime

Zeroaora? What's that?

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
I've been grinding through the "Past Missions" in Pokemon Ranger Guardian Signs. I'm the only person I know who has a copy of this game so I struggled for weeks on "A Shock Everywhere You Turn." Finally defeated Magnezone with a lucky pattern, but I'm worried about "Panic at the Perplexing Temple" and the upcoming Dark and Light Temples. What are your recommendations for grinding AP at the point where I'm at in the game? How should I tackle Panic at the Perplexing Temple? Any specific Pokemon I should level up?

Is the Suicune capture in Crystal permanently missable? I tried to capture it in Tin Tower severely underlevelled and got knocked out. I assumed it'd still be there or respawn after E4 but neither was the case.

Is the Suicune capture in Crystal permanently missable? I tried to capture it in Tin Tower severely underlevelled and got knocked out. I assumed it'd still be there or respawn after E4 but neither was the case.
AFAIK (I'm not too familiar with gens 1 and 2, but it's definitely this way in 3), all static legends permanently disappeared after being defeated/winning/run from (and roamers after winning or being defeated) until gen 4.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)