Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

What are some good Physical and Special Sweepers that go well with Mega Altaria on Offensive teams?
Magnezone is a particularly good partner for DD M-Altaria as it traps stuff like Skarmory and Ferrothorn that give it trouble.

For the special variants, Keldeo is a good partner to break pokemon like Heatran and both pokemon have good synergy in general.

Why doesn't Smogon discriminate between Mega and non-Mega usage rates? Normal Lopunny and Altaria should logically be down in NU, but they're locked up in OU along with their Megas. I know for a fact that item rates are also recorded, so if Mega Manectric had a use rate of, say, 10%, and Manectite is used on 95% of sets, normal Manectric should have a use rate of 0.5% rate, and drop to UU (and below).

It's not like this is an unheard of concept. Gallade dropped because Mega Gallade fell to BL and Galladite was already banned from UU, so the normal form is currently in NU. But that was just kind of a coincidence. Why isn't this a standard thing?

Why doesn't Smogon discriminate between Mega and non-Mega usage rates? Normal Lopunny and Altaria should logically be down in NU, but they're locked up in OU along with their Megas. I know for a fact that item rates are also recorded, so if Mega Manectric had a use rate of, say, 10%, and Manectite is used on 95% of sets, normal Manectric should have a use rate of 0.5% rate, and drop to UU (and below).

It's not like this is an unheard of concept. Gallade dropped because Mega Gallade fell to BL and Galladite was already banned from UU, so the normal form is currently in NU. But that was just kind of a coincidence. Why isn't this a standard thing?
This was brought a long time ago, and I believe while it is theoretically possible, it was pretty much unanimous that tier leaders didn't want to tier Megas separately from their base forms. (Here's the thread for reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-mega-evolutions-separately.3500303/)

It was a pretty short discussion, but I believe a lot of the opposition against doing this involved the fact that there are those who view Megas not as completely different Pokemon, but rather a separate set (Pokemon + item) that the Pokemon can run, and in tiering Megas separately from their base forms you're tiering a set of a mon plus the mon itself. Also, this would get a bit weird since Mega Latios would basically drop Latios to a lower tier provided that it hold a specific item.

Hurray copy/paste

This was brought a long time ago, and I believe while it is theoretically possible, it was pretty much unanimous that tier leaders didn't want to tier Megas separately from their base forms. (Here's the thread for reference: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/tiering-mega-evolutions-separately.3500303/)

It was a pretty short discussion, but I believe a lot of the opposition against doing this involved the fact that there are those who view Megas not as completely different Pokemon, but rather a separate set (Pokemon + item) that the Pokemon can run, and in tiering Megas separately from their base forms you're tiering a set of a mon plus the mon itself. Also, this would get a bit weird since Mega Latios would basically drop Latios to a lower tier provided that it hold a specific item.

Hurray copy/paste
Then why are Mega and non-Mega forms ranked separately in viability rankings? Why isn't Mega Gyarados just considered the most viable "set" of Gyarados?

Well regular Gyarados is just as efficient. Not only do you have an open slot, but they have different functions. MGyara has Dark STAB and is a form of Gyarados meaning they're different pokemon but at the same time the same.

A simple way is that Deoxys has 4 forms but all have different jobs .
I realize this. I was asking in relation to the notion that Megas are just "sets." If that were true, Gyarados would have one placement on the rankings, which would represent the combination of effectiveness of both the Mega and non-Mega sets. Scarf Jirachi and Sub Toxic Jirachi have distinct roles, but they don't have their own ranks (except in that one other thread).

Both have their own level of efficiency that itd be better to not rank them the same. Both have their own level of viability which differentiates them from each other. Mega Gyarados can be called better than the base form due to it's ranking but essentially each choice is a good choice.
But that's true of all sets on all Pokemon. This is from the sets viability thread:

Gliscor
Swords Dance: A
Specially Defensive: A
Defensive: A
Substitute + Toxic: B-

Clearly, one set is much less viable than the others, but still worthy of consideration. But this is the sets viability thread: not the main one. On the main one, Gliscor has just one rank, as it should. Gyarados has two.

I'm not arguing that this should change, or that normal Gyarados is not viable. The exact opposite, actually. I'm just questioning why the reason for keeping Mega and non-Mega forms in the same tier is "Megas are sets" if this same reasoning doesn't hold true in every viability ranking thread. I have to wonder if the opinions would be different if the same issue was brought up today, as perceptions of Mega forms is a lot different than early XY.

Also...

Also, this would get a bit weird since Mega Latios would basically drop Latios to a lower tier provided that it hold a specific item.
But then it would be quick-banned by UU. I don't see the issue.

Then why are Mega and non-Mega forms ranked separately in viability rankings? Why isn't Mega Gyarados just considered the most viable "set" of Gyarados?
Whether or not you count Megas as a set or a separate mon, the fact that only one Mega "set" can be used per 6 sets on a team would still merit separating the mega sets from other sets. After all, if I run one of Metagross's Mega sets I've eliminated the possible sets I can run on other mons, which can't be said for something like Choice Band Scizor, which doesn't inhibit other sets I can run. In terms of viability, if I'm going to run a set that limits my options beyond the normal limit set by the Species Clause, it's worth noting whether or not the set is worth it.

But then it would be quick-banned by UU. I don't see the issue.
You dropped a mon that was OU by usage and forced it to hold an item. Assuming UU could adapt to it and kept it in the tier, now there's precedence for dropping a mon into a lower tier provided that it runs an inhibiting item. It's a bad precedence that shouldn't be set, and even if you quick-ban it, you've still set the precedence.

I was redirected here to ask my question, so here we go!

I've become fascinated with offensive Rain Teams in the OU tier, and I really want to use Agility Ampharos-Mega. I've tested it out on PS! and it has done well on it's own, but I'm having trouble finding pokemon to fit into an offensive core with it on a Rain team. I need things that can tank dragon/fairy/grounds moves and hit hard against faries specifically. Unfortunately, Air Balloon Heatran, an otherwise good partner for her, is horrid in the rain. I've tried Skarmory, but it doesn't have much of an offensive presence, and falls prey to the ever present Thundrus. Anyways, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

p2

Banned deucer.
I was redirected here to ask my question, so here we go!

I've become fascinated with offensive Rain Teams in the OU tier, and I really want to use Agility Ampharos-Mega. I've tested it out on PS! and it has done well on it's own, but I'm having trouble finding pokemon to fit into an offensive core with it on a Rain team. I need things that can tank dragon/fairy/grounds moves and hit hard against faries specifically. Unfortunately, Air Balloon Heatran, an otherwise good partner for her, is horrid in the rain. I've tried Skarmory, but it doesn't have much of an offensive presence, and falls prey to the ever present Thundrus. Anyways, any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Ferrothorn maybe? It abuses rain to reduce its 4x weakness to Fire moves, can provide Stealth Rock / Spikes for Rain teams and be quite annoying for the other team with options like Leech Seed.

What are some great counters to Weavile and Raikou? They usually outspeed my pokes and it has became an annoyance. I can deal with Weavile if I have a TWave though with a Thundurus prankster usually. Most of the time when I deal with raikou he'll just HP Ice my ground type pokemon and outspeed it and it's tough to deal with.

Say my Thundurus-T has Thunder Wave for some reason, isn't at full health and is facing a Magic Bouncer (M-Sableye for example). If, again, for some reason, I use Thunder Wave on it, will the bounced Thunder Wave recover Thundurus-T's health by 25% due to Volt Absorb?

p2

Banned deucer.
what is Mega altarias cotton guard set
Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Cloud Nine
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Atk / 12 SpD / 240 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Cotton Guard
- Roost
- Return / Facade

This is the exact set Style used in OST, though I think Natural Cure would be better over Cloud Nine

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
Is it recommended to run EQ on Special Mega Altaria? If it is, should you run a Mild/Rash nature instead?
EQ is one of the best options because it helps you past fire types like Heatran and Victini. Modest is fine as the -10% attack drop won't make a big difference against Heatran

Why is Mega Altaria used so often on sand teams?
Mega Altaria does very well against some mons that threaten Sand such as Breloom and Chesnaught, while Excadrill can tank Poison attacks and Tyranitar's high SpD in Sand helps mitigate Ice attacks. Altaria in turn provides a resistance to Fire, Water, Grass, and Fighting, the last being huge for the common T-Tar/Drill core Sand is based around.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)