Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers MKII (Read the OP First!) (Now with 100% more Rules!!!)

Is practicing the only thing for becoming a good player ? I feel like I am stuck where I am and do not progress at all. My question is whether or not talent plays a role to become a good player ?
There's no talent for being good at Pokemon. It's all formula and prediction

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Is practicing the only thing for becoming a good player ? I feel like I am stuck where I am and do not progress at all. My question is whether or not talent plays a role to become a good player ?
There is talent in the same way that there is talent in any sport. Some people are naturally better than anyone else, but that doesn't mean that you have to necessarily have a talent at the game to be good at it.

I've been playing for a few months and I'm still trying to achieve 1700 in the ladder (peaked at 1670). That makes me an average player I guess (I've also heard the ladder is not the only measure to how good you are), but I feel that after my initial learning curve, when I got better really fast, now it's hard to make noticeable progress.
That is not a problem, though, it's just how it works with everything else. The better you get, the harder you'll have to work to make progress. At some point you'll reach the top of your abilities, and maybe you'll be among the very best, maybe not.
That can be frustrating, but something is for sure: if you try hard enough, you'll be really good at what you're doing, even if you have no talent to begin with. So, unless you are a very good player already, keep working and you'll be, because you haven't reached your peak yet. I hope I'll keep improving as well. :)

How does Life Orb recoil work and how can I minimiize it?
Life Orbs work by taking away a part of your health with each attack you do, even if the attack doesn't have recoil normally (and LO damage stacks with normal recoil damage). The only way to reduce or get rid of it is with certain abilities such as Sheer Force.

Life Orbs work by taking away a part of your health with each attack you do, even if the attack doesn't have recoil normally (and LO damage stacks with normal recoil damage). The only way to reduce or get rid of it is with certain abilities such as Sheer Force.
To elaborate further, a Life Orb takes 10% of your health every turn, rounded down, unless your Pokemon has Magic Guard or Sheer Force (the latter requires you to use a SF-boosted move). Life Orb recoil can be minimized through EVs or an HP IV of 29 for certain mons; the key is to have your HP value be a multiple of 10 minus one (I think; somebody check that).

Martin

is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
By setting your HP number to end in a 9 you don't technically increase the number of hits you can do unless the stat is reduced from a number end in unless your HP stat is equal to anything between 11 and 19 or it ends in a 0 before subtracting from the stat. What it does do is reduce the recoil you take by 1 HP, which means that it is only ever worth aiming for a Life Orb number if you are bringing you HP stat down in the process. If it ends in 3 or more it probably isn't worth reducing IVs to do this, but if you have a stat of 160, 161 or 162 (for example) then it is more efficient to reduce your HP IV to account for this because it results in a net saving of 10 hit points over the course of 11 attacks (and more if you have any means of recovering, be it self-healing (Recover, Rest etc.) or external (Wish, Healing Wish, Lunar Dance, Leech Seed etc.) assuming that you don't get hit.

Does Gengar miss any KOs by running the slightly-weaker Sludge Bomb? (For the benefit of cart players, since it only gets Wave through Dream World.) And why does the Smogon analysis for it have Wave on every OU set when Chesnaught isn't switching in and it's immune to being Synchronize-poisoned, not to mention the additional poison chance synergizes with Hex better (especially when not running Wisp)?

When SM comes out does every Pokemon from Ubers go down to OU or lower, until they are seen as too good for the tier? If not what happens to the Meta?

SketchUp

Don't let your memes be dreams
When SM comes out does every Pokemon from Ubers go down to OU or lower, until they are seen as too good for the tier? If not what happens to the Meta?
No, there will be banlist from the beginning, including obvious broken stuff like cover legends, Arceus, Skymin, Mega Salamence etc.
As far as I know council is currently discussing whether pokemon such as Deo-S/Deo-D, Genesect, Blaziken and Mega Lucario deserve to be OU for a while or be banned from the beginning of the SM metagame.

This has come up two or three times already in SQSA but I don't want to hear "x council member said z won't be OU." Council members can shift their opinions, they may be saying something casually isn't indicative of any formal council opinion, and we don't even know what the next gen will bring as far as mechanics changes go (see: people speculating about XY bans without the weather nerf being revealed or full knowledge of mega evolution).

Six Trails

formerly Analytic_
Hi, I am looking for clarification on tailoring IVs to minimize Life Orb recoil. I will use Latios as my example.

With no investment and 31 IVs in HP, Latios has an HP stat of 301. With no investment and 29 IVs in HP, Latios has an HP stat of 299.

So, how much Life Orb damage would Latios with 299 HP take? 29? And how much Life Orb damage would Latios with 301 HP take? 30?

Hi, I am looking for clarification on tailoring IVs to minimize Life Orb recoil. I will use Latios as my example.

With no investment and 31 IVs in HP, Latios has an HP stat of 301. With no investment and 29 IVs in HP, Latios has an HP stat of 299.

So, how much Life Orb damage would Latios with 299 HP take? 29? And how much Life Orb damage would Latios with 301 HP take? 30?
Latios with 29 HP IVs would take 29 HP that would be 9 % from your base HP.

Do moves that calculate damage based on weight or speed get STAB? For example, does Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball get a STAB boost (and if so, does it happen after the base power has been calculated)?

Do moves that calculate damage based on weight or speed get STAB? For example, does Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball get a STAB boost (and if so, does it happen after the base power has been calculated)?
Yes. The move calculates the base power based on the target, and then applies other modifiers like any other move would.

They get a STAB boost and the STAB boost happens after the base power has been calculated just like u guessed.

Edit: Didn't see that Tressed has replied

I thought of an idea or maybe a game mode or in game test now the biggest complaint about the game are hax often scald it appears to have 90% of burn but they are important in many game made good strategic game and do not think the best solution to remove the game so I thought of some solution below:

I think a good solution to burn to, poison and crit could be a number of hits.

Let's assume for scald you need to hit the target 3 times or 2 times to the burn.

Same for crit and so some movements were crit and it was an amount to have the crit.

This would make a more competitive game and not just luck. Almost 50% of matches are won or lost by hax. what do you think ?

I thought of an idea or maybe a game mode or in game test now the biggest complaint about the game are hax often scald it appears to have 90% of burn but they are important in many game made good strategic game and do not think the best solution to remove the game so I thought of some solution below:

I think a good solution to burn to, poison and crit could be a number of hits.

Let's assume for scald you need to hit the target 3 times or 2 times to the burn.

Same for crit and so some movements were crit and it was an amount to have the crit.

This would make a more competitive game and not just luck. Almost 50% of matches are won or lost by hax. what do you think ?
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/skillmons-coming-back-soon™.3524601/

I have a bit of a question. I like playing in the OU tier, but I use mixed OU teams that are OU and under, preferably a team of three OU Pokemon and three more Pokemon below that tier. The thing is, I've often played in Anything Goes, mostly for the chance of a more diverse team than what I've found on the OU official meta. I have been thinking of giving the actual OU metagame another shot, but I have to know, is it exclusively OU Pokemon? If not, can Pokemon that are below the OU tier be viable against teams consisting of popular OU Pokemon?

Martin

I have a bit of a question. I like playing in the OU tier, but I use mixed OU teams that are OU and under, preferably a team of three OU Pokemon and three more Pokemon below that tier. The thing is, I've often played in Anything Goes, mostly for the chance of a more diverse team than what I've found on the OU official meta. I have been thinking of giving the actual OU metagame another shot, but I have to know, is it exclusively OU Pokemon? If not, can Pokemon that are below the OU tier be viable against teams consisting of popular OU Pokemon?
Various Pokémon which are not OU by usage are viable in the OU metagame. A good resource to use if you're stuck is the ORAS OU Viability Rankings which is regularly updated and it is good to use while you are still learning the meta. That said, having a strict team structure of "3 OU+3 non-OU" is very limiting, and typically most good teams will consist of mostly OU Pokémon. Usage=/=viability, but in most cases (not all) there is a good reason why something is in the tier that it is.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)