ORAS OU OU VolTurn Core Teambuild

INTRODUCTION:

I decided to post this team up after a few battles I have on the simulator, I had some sweeps, some rage quits, with this team.

I started on the basis that I wanted to test the power of Volt Switch + U-Turn, looking at it as a unpredictable team switch base. I started building a full team made out of Volt Switches and U-Turners, till I picked 1 Volt-Turner and 1 U-Turner, my cores.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Band
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Stone Edge

The standard banded set, I chose banded Adamant instead of Scarf, because I want to maximize damage if Volt-Turn was not able to work, due to potential ground types blocking Volt Switch. EQ for STAB, Stone Edge for flyers and Knock Off for anything else.

Rotom-Wash @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

The standard Rotom set, with a Scarf, excluding Hydro Pump. I want to maximize its speed using Timid, while making sure it does its job as a Rotom, causing status condition and sharing health using Pain Split. Dark Pulse is there over Hydro Pump, as I would not want to come up aganist Water Absorb pokemon, no matter how rare.

After setting up the 2 pokemon, I look at them and see that I don't have any priorities, so I get one in

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flame Charge
- Roost
- U-turn

Gale Wings Brave Bird is my main priority, the reason why I went Sharp Beak over Life Orb, is because of the 0.1% difference and my HP vs Recoil damage. Flame Charge is there to increase the speed of Talonflame, minimize recoil, while getting the chance outspeed Jolly non-Scarf Talonflame to go for the kill next turn.

Now I note my team needs some defenses,

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 240 HP / 252 SpA / 16 Spe
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Sludge Wave
- Dragon Pulse

Standard BoltBeam set with STAB and anti fairy Sludge Wave, also thinking about Bulletproof Chesnaught, opting for Wave over Bomb.

The Anti Fairy Fairy

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Poison]
- Psychic
- Roost

Togekiss was originally another U-Turner, but I played with its special movesets, noting that I need some psychic and more poision type moves into the max, I opted out of Paraflinch Uturn set in favor of something more unique, Hidden Power Poison. This set I must say it isnt as useful as standard Togekiss sets, but it does catch players off guard, after all who uses HP Poison?

The Anti-Lead-Lead

Sableye @ Sablenite
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Calm Mind
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Knock Off (Snarl)

M Sableye's Magic Bounce is the very cause of people rage quitting, able to prankster burn Lando Leads, DD leads SD leads. Knock Off is used to knock out Rocky Helmets, Life Orbs, etc. while Calm Mind is used to increase its already high Sp. Def stat.

Side Note, Snarl could be another choice over Knock Off, its stacks well with Calm Mind, giving the opponent a -2 stat difference.

Conclusion: I have my fair share of wins and losses and rage quits, but I think this team is the best team I came up with. I am now experimenting in maximizing the EV spreads of each pokemon to better suit each other.

Hi there.
I've imported your team into my PS! and have used it in a couple of battles.It has a fair amount of offensive pressure being constantly exerted onto the opponent's pokemon, which is a notable feat, and the VoltTurn core is, in my opinion, not only a great idea but also quite well implemented in your team, so good job there. I hope that these suggestions can improve the team further:

1) Replace Flame Charge on Talonflame with Flare Blitz.
I read your justification for using FC and I admit there is merit to it, but I still think it is wiser to use Flare Blitz. Being able to hit twice as hard is a good trade for the speed boost considering what you'll usually be using Brave Bird which only cares for speed of other Talonflames (again, you mentioned this as a specific reason, but you have Rotom-W to competently counter opposing Talonflames). In addition, lacking a life orb makes talon hit more weakly but also increases its longevity. Coupled with roost, flare blitz can definitely be employed with more success in my experience with your team.

2) Replace Pain Split on Rotom-W with Trick.
Rotom-W is a great staple on your team, and I think a scarf is the right way to run it. However, I question using Pain Split with it. The move can be quite useful, but generally not with a choice scarf, as you have to switch out again next turn in almost all situations. Trick can cripple a defensive pokemon, and I feel that the team has trouble with special walls if the opponent can switch around correctly. Additionally, changing out dark pulse for Hydro Pump would probably be a better idea, because I can't think of many pokemon that Rotom-W can hit with dark pulse. I also do not fully understand the justification for dark pulse that you gave, so that may contribute to my misinterpretation of its role, sorry.

Otherwise, I think this is quite a solid team. Remember, I'm not exactly a professional, so if you feel that my advice is poor then don't think you should follow it, but the changes I suggested have, for my testing, made your team even better.

You do realize that Air Slash does the same to fairies (other than Dedenne) as Hidden Power Poison does, don't you? Replace it with Nasty Plot. Also replace with Aura Sphere or Fire Blast/Flamethrower to beat Klefki/Ferrothorn and lure Scizor.

AD impish john

Consumed by Darkness...
Hey there cool team, but it could use a couple of changes; and also the sets are in the Hide Tab. Let's start with Mega Sableye, it fits your team well but its moveset can change to the Utility set. I suggest Foul Play over Calm Mind for a few reasons, this does major damage to those that try to set up on Mega Sableye such as Charizard X and Talonflame and this can even do some decent damage to those that haven't even setup yet. Now I do insist running this EV spread instead EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD w/ Careful nature as this gives it Specially Defensive bulk against Heatran, while still having some Defensive bulk. Togekiss's moveset is terrible and needs dramatic changing, I'm going to suggest the Stallbreaker set. Change Hidden Power Poison to Fire Blast for Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Bisharp, and to lure Scizor, and Hidden Power Poison is just awful. Also change Psychic to Nasty Plot, this allows you to setup +2 Special Attack then do massive damage with Air Slash/Fire Blast. Lastly I suggest this EV Spread for Togekiss instead EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe, this allows Togekiss to outspeed Jolly Bisharp and being able to survive two Psyshocks from Latios. Goodra is purely bad in OU, the only thing that makes this thing even good is ridiculous Special Attack and Abilities, but there is a much better Pokemon than it called Latias. Latias can help remove field hazards that Mega Sableye was unable to reflect back, can Healing Wish to its allies that are low on HP, and Latias also gives you a better check to Keldeo than before. Simply just change Flame Charge on Talonflame to Flare Blitz as this does twice as much damage and you have roost to recover back your HP anyway. You could run Swords Dance>U-Turn if you want for a better damage or even sweep, as I don't find U-Turn on Talon useful in occasions. Change Adamant nature on Talonflame to a Jolly nature to outspeed Raikou and Thundurus which outspeed Talon if Adamant. I hope you know that Rotom-W without Hydro Pump is illegal as it needs Hydro Pump to stay in its form, I do suggest changing Choice Scarf Rotom-W to its Defensive Pivot set as this will allow it to take hits much better for example Keldeo's Secret Sword, or Talonflame's Brave Birds. Now lastly I suggest Choice Scarf Landorus-Therian, now I know you're going to rage/defend back for me saying it but Choice Band Lando-T is just bad and not even viable in this metagame full of fast threats. Scarf Lando-T will help against Electric Pokemon that threat the team such as Mega Manectric, Raikou, and Thundurus. I hoped I helped, have a nice day ^_^

Final Changes
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD+Foul Play>EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def+Calm Mind
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe+Nasty Plot+Fire Blast>EVs: 240 HP / 16 SpA / 252 SpD+Psychic+HP Poison
>

Defensive Spread>Choice Scarf
Choice Scarf>Choice Band
(Swords Dance +)Flare Blitz>(U-Turn +)Flame Charge

Sableye-Mega @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpD
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Knock Off
- Foul Play
- Recover

Togekiss @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 76 Def / 4 SpD / 176 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Air Slash
- Fire Blast
- Roost

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp/Thunder Wave
- Pain Split

Hey Calvin Chen, I like the concept of VoltTurn + M-Sableye to prevent hazards, but there are a few issues i see with your sets.

For one, your team doesn't have Stealth Rocks, which are especially important for VoltTurn since you get to rack up hazard damage as you pivot around. So you should run Stealth Rock > Knock Off on Landorus-T, and run either Earth Plate or Defensive > Choice Band so you won't be Choice locked into Stealth Rock. Earth Plate still hits hard and keep up offensive pressure, but defensive can help you check Zard X and M-Lopunny better, both of which take advantage of your M-Sableye.

You should switch around your Choice item users and run Choice Band Talonflame > Sharp Beak, and Defensive Rotom-W > Choice Scarf. Choice Band is the better option to maximize on damage output on Talonflame since its Attack stat is abysmal and if offensive, it needs a Choice Band or Bulk Up / Swords Dance to pose a threat. Since this is VoltTurn, Choice Band is the best option. Talonflame is also very fast as it is, so you should never run Flame Charge on it over Flare Blitz, and you also shouldn't run an even HP number on it since this makes it take more from hazards. Defensive Rotom-W fits better on this team than Scarf since you have a Sableye which hates to be put in 1v1 situations against Azumarill. With defensive Rotom-W you have a reliable switch-in to Azu, as well as a more reliable check to Talonflame, Tornadus-T, and Sand Rush Excadrill, etc. Rotom-W should also always run Hydro Pump since it's essential for fully countering bulky grounds such as Hippowdon and Landorus-T, and also helps vs Talonflame that can Roost to remove it's Flying typing and take very little from Volt Switch.

Calm Mind M-Sableye doesn't really fit on this build since you're trying to use it to prevent hazards from going up rather than trying to use it as a wincon, especially since you don't have hazard removal. You should use a utility set of Knock Off / Will-O-Wisp / Recover / Foul Play > Calm Mind on M-Sableye to be able to check SD Garchomp better, as well as prevent yourself from being setup fodder for Zard X and SD Talonflame.

Frankly, your Togekiss set is very odd and doesn't seem to accomplish anything. You rely way to heavily on M-Sableye to prevent hazards, and you're also extremely weak to Specs Keldeo, so I think you should run Defog Latias > Togekiss to be able to check Keldeo and have a form of hazard removal rather than just prevention.

Your team is also weak to M-Gardevoir, which is bad when you have M-Sableye, and lacks a steel type or anything to really support or take advantage of your VoltTurn core, so i think you should run Lure Jirachi with a set of Icy Wind / Iron Head / Energy Ball / HP Ground > Goodra to be able to bait in Hippowdon, Garchomp, Landorus-T, Heatran, and Rotom-W, and be able to lure them in and potentially take them out to give Talonflame and Landorus-T more leeway.

In short:

Earth Plate / Bulky Landorus-Therian > Choice Band Landorus-Therian
Choice Band Talonflame > Sharp Beak Talonflame
Defensive Rotom-W > Choice Scarf Rotom-W
Utility M-Sableye > Calm Mind M-Sableye
Defog Latias > Togekiss
Lure Jirachi > Goodra

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Landorus-Therian @ Earth Plate
EVs: 88 HP / 252 Atk / 168 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Brave Bird
- Steel Wing / Will-O-Wisp
- U-turn

Sableye @ Sablenite
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Will-O-Wisp
- Foul Play
- Recover

Jirachi @ Expert Belt
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Iron Head
- Energy Ball
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Icy Wind

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psyshock
- Draco Meteor
- Recover
- Defog

Hope i was able to help!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)