Tournament OUPL III Manager Signups (CLOSING ON 4/9 9:00 PM EST)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hosted by starry blanket and njnp
OUPL III: IN CELEBRATION OF [1] SUCCESSFUL YEAR EDITION

The details are identical as last time, and are as follows:
  • There will be 6 teams
  • The slots for each team have not been finalized yet. We are going to be hearing input from the potential managers and OU insiders to decide which tier lineup is best. The choices are as follows:
    • 1 DPP / 1 BW / 2 XY / 4 SM
    • 1 DPP / 2 BW / 2 XY / 3 SM
    • 2 BW / 2 XY / 4 SM
    • 1 ADV / 1 DPP / 1 BW / 1 XY / 4 SM
    • if you have another idea, feel free to mention it as well!
  • The auction will be held on PS! and it will be a standard auction.
  • Rosters must be submitted to us by the weekly deadline of Friday at 11:59 PM EST
  • SPL inactivity rules will be applied
This thread is specifically for manager sign ups and will close on 4/9 at 9:00 PM EST. Player sign ups will start the following day. Keep in mind that not everyone who signs up will become a captain, and that only 6 of you will be selected.

On the tier lineups: njnp and I have been discussing this with various people already, and we've gathered a bunch of different opinions. At the end of the day, these four options seem to be the best because they pretty much all compromise various ideas people had while also having wider appeal than those ideas. We want the tour to be separate from (and not competing with) ROAPL, and we want more of an emphasis on SM. As a result of this, old gens are definitely being cut (at least RBY and GSC). On the other end of the spectrum, we didn't want to go with too many SM slots. Some people brought up having 5 slots or even FULL SM, but we agreed that while this would clearly emphasize SM and help to advance the meta somewhat, it makes the tour quite a bit more uninteresting, and it has the potential to limit players.

It'd be greatly appreciated if you could provide some reasoning in your manager signup post for the tier lineup you selected. Thank you!
Username:
Team name:
Availability:
Why would you make a good manager?:
Preferred tier setup:
for example...
Username: starry blanket
Team name: Wonderful Wobbuffets
Availability: duh
Why would you make a good manager?: i'm LITERALLY the best
Preferred tier setup: secret
pls name your teams after pokemon so we don't have to use shitty pictures in the matchups lmao.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tokyo Tom

Somewhere between psychotic and iconic
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus

Username:
Tokyo Tom

Team Name:
The TOPSZN Noctowls (like Jordan '96, '97)

Availability:
A lot!

Why would you make a good manager?:
Managed last year's OUPL champions. Is it just me? Or is this tour so good I shouldn't have to manage for free

Preferred tier setup:
4 SM / 1 XY / 1 BW / 1 DPP / 1 ADV

Username: Wally The Bully
Team name: Monstrous Metagrosses
Availability: 24/7
Why would you make a good manager?: I'm open minded and strong willed, I can organize and lead a team and I'll make sure to give them some feed back on their games!!
Preferred tier setup: 1 DPP / 2 BW / 2 XY / 3 SM would be perfect

Last edited:
Username: z0mOG (and ben gay)
Team name: No Justice No Peace Ninjasks
Why would you make a good manager?: about to win roapl as ass-manager, ACTIVITY and COMPASSION through the roof, lotsa team tour experience, my assman has even more
Preferred tier setup:
1 DPP / 1 BW / 2 XY / 4 SM
or
1 ADV / 1 DPP / 1 BW / 1 XY / 4 SM

temporary logo until my professional logo maker comes online

ME AND BEN GAY R CAPPING TOGETHER

Last edited:
also, you would prob have a better guess than me, but id think there is a big enough player pool for 8 teams :~o
8 teams has been brought up, and i do think the player pool is big enough. however, if we go with 8 teams, the tour goes on even longer and overlaps with WCOP quite a bit. we really don't want this because it isn't like this tour is anything major... when WCOP comes around it becomes secondary.

last year we had like a week and a half of overlap and finals took a little bit longer than they should have.

Username: Aurora
Team name: Tapu TeamTeam
Availability: Whenever my team needs me, I'll be there.
Why would you make a good manager?: I am the manager of my local Subway and am looking to expand my restaurant franchise empire by purchasing Popeyes and KFC restaurants. I obviously know how to keep ships afloat, so I am sure my 20 years of business experience will come in handy for OUPL.
Preferred tier setup: 3 SM / 2 ORAS / 1 BW / 1 DPP / 1 ADV

Jirachee

phoenix reborn
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Username: jirachee
Team name: Twinleaf Thunder
Availability: at ALL times
Why would you make a good manager?: planned all of the current SPL finalist Scooters draft as a retain because my managers, bro fist and cbb, are absolutely clueless. Also drafted now superstars blunder and Foggi last year
Preferred tier setup: 4 SM / 1 XY / 1 BW / 1 DPP / 1 ADV

the mascot is Zapdos and I promise not to pick soulgazer as my assman this year :toast:

Username: Specs Victini

Team name: Social Eating

Why would you make a good manager?: I'm flexible, open minded, and I somehow manage my way around getting homework done. I'm on my computer daily where I mod a decent sized (~20 people) teamspeak server. and readily availible, and I'm eager to join the organized competitive scene.

Preferred tier setup: 1 DPP / 2 BW / 2 XY / 3 SM

Username: Huston
Team name: Flaming Charizards
Availability: Pretty much constantly
Why would you make a good manager?: I have quality leadership skills and believe I can lead a competent team this season. My only managing experience as of now is RoAPL in which I am currently managing. I look forward to a fun season and wins if chosen.
Preferred tier setup: 2 BW / 2 XY / 4 SM

Username: Energy
Team name: Tyranic Typhlosion
Availability: All day.
Why would you make a good manager?: Been an active member of Smogon for a long time, experience in all the different formats. Played in I believe 7 iterations of WCoP and SPL so I know how to lead a team. Also captained other teams in formats like this before.
Preferred tier setup: 1 ADV / 1 DPP / 1 BW / 1 XY / 4 SM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)