NOC Paranoia Mafia Game Over - Mafia Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my personal opinion you were probably town's best hope this last day Rssp. But alas twin was persuasive in their arguments and got that wagon rolling. Overall I do still stick to my argument that people had some really really bad confirmation bias on me and ultimately town often times shot themselves in the foot without the mafia doing too much. That said, congrats on winning a NOC twin.

Da Letter El

Officially internet famous
is a Community Leader Alumnus
"What if there are no terrorists?" one of you wonders aloud.

"B-but...Gale's a terrorist."

So you lynch Gale Wing Srock

Gale Wing Srock
was a villager.

Suddenly, praj.pran rises from the grave laughing maniacally. Soon you see thetwinmasters and Asek joining in with the laughter. It doesn't take long for you all to realize that the mafia have achieved their win condition of 9 dead villagers.

The game is over. Mafia (thetwinmasters and Asek) wins.

Hey Thetwinmasters now that it's done: why the fuck did you use your second and final kill on me...? I entirely intended to lynch you day 3 so I guess it was a good choice but...?

Overall review: town played bad. You guys did not pick up the right reads. Borath, you started SO GOOD and you fucked up, :(. Gale got the reads right but refused to actually be a good townie and cost town the game in the end. I'm very disappointed none of you replied to my last read post at any point, which said twin was the scummiest. I'm also annoyed borath quoted my post calling out both flyhn and twin along with himself because that was a day 1 solve right there. How did I know so confidently one of walrein or twin were scum? It wasn't metaing Steven Snype, I just gauged their reactions and decided both were scummy enough for it to be plausible. I also put a lot of stock in blazade. However, my biggest annoyance is nobody listened when I said time and time again that beta was 100% town. I know my friends. I'm very disappointed his sub slot got lynched to end the game, THANKS BORATH.

That paragraph is negative but you guys didn't play that bad, it's an extremely hard setup with inactive people and subbing. Scum didn't play amazing but definitely not awful either, I absolutely would've lynched twin but asek I can't know. Overall the issue with this game is how many inactive people there were and how many times we had to sub. A setup like this especially but forum noc in general will never work with a bunch of idlers. DON'T SIGN UP IF YOU DON'T HAVE TIME TO PLAY.
Because nobody noticed that you scumread me+flyhn and theoretically I could pin the blame on walrein

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...-over-mafia-wins.3584829/page-42#post-7052996

I didn't post again about flyhn (I did about twin) but I was definitely going after twin and probably flyhn at some point too D:::

My logic for lynching blazade would've been I expected mafia to kill him for a few psychological reasons (which they did) and if he wasn't killed that would've made him sus
Ah, you meant way back when. I didn't even know you were dead when I made that post.

Just as a hot tip, it's generally a poor rule of thumb to lynch someone who is a good or respected player, or a consensus townread, just because they're alive. The theories are there but in practice it's ended poorly.

Josh

=P
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Well, it was more than a town read. It's because of this game setup. Blazade was pretty much universally town read besides the lynched pancake. Scum wants him gone because he's a town leader people trust that had the right ideas of who to lynch. There are no potential docs or bgs on him, so scum doesn't have that disincentive either. So in this particular game, ie the one with no roles and blazade as he had played, I was extremely confident scum were killing him. More so, cba finding my post but I also included in one of the last posts before I died explicitly that I was being killed that night; I was hoping it'd be discussed but alas.

This is not arguing with your statement but rather explaining my mindset.

And sometimes you kill someone for the lulz because Nightkills are a WIFOM minefield.

Well anyway now that this is over I can finally go back to doing absolutely nothing. It was fun, sometimes. I have rude things to say about some people but I'll keep them to myself. So long and thanks for all the fish.

Personally I blame everyone except myself.
You suck and stink!

Suck for convincing yourself that in a game state where scums can cruise to victory, one of the scum would put themselves out there to get a townie lynched.

Stink for blaming others for bringing the loss to town.

GG scums!

I suspected Asek and Twin, but townies were not in sync. Especially Twin's perfect manipulation of Texas spoiled the game for any come back from town.

Andy Snype

Mr. Music
Postgame:

I wondered how mafia would pan out if it were like real life. The onus of this game was on the town, not terrorists to play well. The situation was based off of the race riots/shootings/bombings that happened earlier this summer and it got me thinking to all this blaming on the muslims and ISIS. i think i was reading something by a blogger comparing trump to hitler/stalin, which reminded me of a poem i read in middle school called The hangman. This was the source of inspiration of the game, where what would happen if a town imploded on itself?

and so this game was experimental, but I had to make a lot of compromises because ultimately this is a game.

So this game was an experiment among with others that I shot darts back and forth with a couple others, mostly UncleSam and Blazade, the latter of whom had no knowledge of the exact numbers when I discussed with him since there was a lot of stuff I wanted to keep hidden from people that wanted to play the game. Most of this game was thought out well before Neighborhood happened, and based off of how that game turned, there would have been a couple of tweaks I wanted to make.

A town without power roles is most similar to this, and quite frankly, you'd never get activity on an OC game if there were no power roles and just instead gave you all the information straight up and kept it consistent so that all villagers were on the same page. I heavily considered going for the full flavor of the experiment and not having any terrorists and instead throwing a variant where there would be a few one-shot vigilantes thrown into the game, but alas, that was not the one I submitted.

Terrorists had a slight bit of more knowledge, which was mainly the number of kills (2), how many villagers needed to die for them to win, and also what the village role PM looked like (mostly because of how XF does its unique ID for posts, including PMs, which someone could actually just say "Hit Reply and post your role PM in this thread and click on the arrow to get the unique ID number and let's assume that this unique ID is sequential" to be reasonable/not faked numbers or the lack of a number. Seriously, just hover over the arrow that appears when you quote something).

The hard part was determining what information did I want to give out publicly:
  • No power roles in the game <-- this one I regret putting out. I think the game could have gone a lot more interesting had I not confirmed this, but I think that the vilalge not knowing there is no power role would have made mafia too likely to win.
  • Game ends when players say it's over-- this is where I expected paranoia to happen and a big confusion between putting 0-3 mafia.
  • Village loses if too many villagers die -- gives a time-sense of what needed to be done.
  • Everyone is either village or terrorist -- did not want there to be skepticism of neutrals like there was in neighborhoods or wolves. wanted to make this explicitly clear. one or the other.

shade asked me for a sample size (i gave him a model and suggested something for 16 players). I dropped to 14 because I expected inactivity to take a toll with how hard it was to get 16 players. If I gave one guy and told him to go kill 9 players in the game and he wouldn't have to be alive to win, I think that's unrealistic to expect said player to not get bored. Though I actually went through LotR or something like that before and still almost won but I had way too much time on my hands then. I'd at least make it a 2-man and give them 2 kills. That requires 7 mislynches in a row, and at that point, i think it'd be fair to deservedly not give the village a win. Should they have failed at their objective in flushing out the mafia, I think it would be fair if they tried too little and won.

I shot darts with Jalmont on the playerbase since though I was in neighborhood, I got too busy at work and got caught being on my phone too often at work (rip filters), a major factor in determining updating (posting is doable, but scrolling back through posts to read and ctrl + f "lynch" or finding bolded posts is impossible on mobile). The only thing I was concerned about was
activity, but I honestly RNG'd one player, and asked "hey who do you think the other player should be that would work with player1, such that the remaining playerbase does not have activity that hurts the village and also still gives the mafia a very fair shot at winning?" and so Twin was RNG'd and Flyhn was intended to work with him. This is the only discussion that really went into determining the players and it wasn't solely a host decision.

I knew that I'd be busy since I would be starting job soon, so I asked DLE if he'd help cohost (and quite honestly if it weren't for the damn hurricane, I wouldn't have let this be completely abandoned. I was not joking about actually almost being homeless. When shade posted I was up, all I knew was that it was just a temporary hotel that I would be staying in. Fortunately, I was out of the state for that weekend, but I didn't know what was happening since it was a giant shitshow irl. Really, thank you Da Letter El for stepping up when shit hit the fan for me irl. I apologize to everyone else for falling off, but I didn't get internet until yesterday and I had to make up some hours (gotta get paid fam).

It went as a shitshow as slightly expected. I said this in the deadchat but I'll say it again, the whole focusing on inactives I think went a bit too far for the village to really come back from. I think thinking about the people who had the most to gain by lynching the inactives (sticking with the status quo) would have turned out better in the village's favor. Also, some of the votes were confusing in that people weren't really voting for the people they thought were terrorists. I don't really have much to say on individual players given I don't play NOCs, but I expected the village to get at least one of twin / flyhn|asek. If DLE has anything to say about it, he's welcome to!

Sorry to the absolutely new player Betathunder for this game. NOCs typically ain't easy, especially an experimental one that this one's done. 2.1k posts for this game is one of the higher posts this game would go, albeit by design since the game doesn't have roles and depends on players reading each other.

Between this and Neighborhood, I think the next few NOCs are going to have high postcounts. That's just how you guys play in NOCs. I know I couldn't keep up with reading through all posts with job, though really, this has the potential to be a much higher number if people were 24/7 capable of perusing and posting in thread. I don't think that condition is likely to happen for a long time.

I ought to consider trying a version where there are just a few vigilantes and that's it. Maybe also consider having terrorists not be united as well.

i'm tired after a long day but this is what's on my mind. hope you had fun!

Asek

Banned deucer.
Hi! I may haven't been as active as I thought I would be, but I felt pretty confident in my play this game. I feel like the only time my play was poor was when I was quite inactive and i tried to push rssp very hard regardless. I think you guys were too forgiving of me in that situation.

It was pretty easy to chain mislynches with twin, and I think we put enough distance between us so that there was no easy link to be seen in case one of us flipped, but there wasn't a big enough lack of contact to make people suspicious of us either. I don't really think the format favoured us particularly hard, but I didn't expect to win without either of us dying. We planned on at least one of us dying before endgame.

My general scum play is something I don't intend to give away, and I'll probably come back with a similar approach in future NOC's. Its pretty similar to my town play, so dont lynch me in future based on meta shit !_!

Before I had officially been subbed in, I went through the thread. I thought the scum team was Twin + Walrein / Former Hope, and I'm pretty suprised in all honesty that twin had no focus on him all game. To me, hawkie and twin could both of been mafia and you guys would of been none the wiser as questioning very rarely fell onto them, and they were free to set up scenarios on other players freely.

As a final note I'd just like to say texas you played very well for your second (i believe its your second at least) game, you have a good grasp of whats going on, you just need to work on getting town read haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)