Past Gens Analysis Reservation Index

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not know if I am in the right place but I try: being a contributor on the French Bulbapedia (which is called Poképédia), I started to create, update and complete the lists of mons by tier and for all generations (a rather huge work). The lists are here: Uber, OU, UU, RU, NU, PU, NFE, BL and LC. I was obviously inspired by existing lists on Smogon and Showdown (to innovate I added a "trend" for each pokémon according to the generations, which is presented by an arrow: blue when it stays in his tier, red when he regresses, green when it increases). Having found a number of small errors or inconsistencies (between Smogon or Showdown for example), I submit here the list of these finds. It gives you time for the editors to correct, check or reclaim me if I make mistakes myself. I'm obviously focusing on older generations.

For Generation I, there is:
View attachment 109085Haunter is UU for Smogon but NFE for Showdown (it has no analysis yet);
• based on the UU viability rankings, View attachment 109164Staryu, View attachment 109165Poliwhirl and View attachment 109166Dragonair would also be UU;
View attachment 109086Clefairy, a bit like Poipole or Type: Null in gen 7, is not eligible in LC because it is not obtainable at level 5 (so it is NFE);
• I guess it's not official but some recognize a "BL tier" and a NU tier at that time. Does Smogon dex have to take inspiration from that?
No problem for View attachment 109087Kadabra and View attachment 109163Graveler but they do not been analyzed yet.

For Generation II, there is:
• there is on Showdown a list of NU mons (which does not exist on Smogon, considered by default as UU). It would be an official format: should it be created on Smogon? The list of NU in 2G is here;
View attachment 109088Haunter and View attachment 109089Pikachu are UU for Smogon but NFE for Showdown (but they are top tiers in NU according to this viability rankings);
• based on this same VRs, View attachment 109090Pineco, View attachment 109091Seadra, View attachment 109092Graveler, Gloom and Porygon would also be NU.
No problem for View attachment 109167Chansey and View attachment 109168Kadabra but they do not been analyzed yet.

For Generation III, there is:
• according to this list of PU, we would have as top tiers Dragonair and Sealeo (so far no problem). And in the banlist of this tier (the NU so, I make the list here), there is including View attachment 109108Abra and View attachment 109101Diglett (so we must also consider them as NU on Smogon);
View attachment 109100Kadabra is BL as Alakazam (so it is totally unusable). Should we unban this mon in UU?
No problem for Chansey, Wynaut, Wartortle, Golbat, Poliwhirl, Weepinbell, Dragonair, Quilava, Magby, Grovyle, Sealeo and Metang but they do not been analyzed yet.

For Generation IV, there is:
View attachment 109102Wynaut would apparently be allowed in LC (Smogon does not indicate it). Should we unban this mon in OU?
View attachment 109103Rhydon is NU for Smogon but NFE for Showdown (it has no analysis yet);
View attachment 109104Trapinch is NU for Smogon but only LC for Showdown;
• didView attachment 109105Zigzagoon have Gluttony at that time (Smogon does not mention it)?
• didView attachment 109106Glameow have Keen Eye at that time (I think that's a mistake)?
View attachment 109170Spiky-eared Pichu is special because it can not evolve: it is neither LC nor NFE but NU (as does Showdown). Should we create a specific analysis for this form (even if it's gimmick)?
No problem for Kadabra and Misdreavus but they do not been analyzed yet.

I will talk about other generations later (where there is a lot to say). To simplify greatly these small inconsistencies, I propose the creation of NFE and LC Uber on Smogon dex (so we will have all the pokémon categorized and it will avoid errors). I hope in any case do not speak a too bad English :)
The fact that no one has reacted to my two posts (dating from early April) lets me think that I'm not actually in the right place, my bad. What a pity that so many research work ends up in the trash of oblivion

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
The fact that no one has reacted to my two posts (dating from early April) lets me think that I'm not actually in the right place, my bad. What a pity that so many research work ends up in the trash of oblivion
Consistency between Showdown and Smogon isn't important, which is why it's been ignored. And many of your suggestions can't be implemented on the Dex anyhow.

Consistency between Showdown and Smogon isn't important, which is why it's been ignored. And many of your suggestions can't be implemented on the Dex anyhow.
I understand well that the consistency between the two sites is rather useless for the Smogon personalities but it is a little less for those who try to transcribe the tiers through the generations and on other sites (in this case a wiki). So rather than having a mon with a confused strategic ranking, as much simplify and update (hence my proposal to create an NFE status on the Smogon Pokédex). And even if "many of my suggestions can not be implemented on the Dex" (which is surprising, there is nothing far-fetched in the points raised), it means that there are at least some examples to review. In any case I will have tried to be useful (a week of research for nothing)

Aaronboyer

Something Worth Fighting For
is a Contributor to Smogon
Are we doing an ADV set for Sunny Day suicide lead and Rain Dance suicide lead Voltorb? If so, I’d like to reserve both.

Last edited:
I don't know that the rby lc metagame is developed or played enough to warrant putting analyses on site for it. Jellicent what say you?
Probably not, tbh. LC wasn't possible until Gen 2's breeding; Stadium just had Pika Cup instead (pretty cool-looking format: 3v3, levels 15-20, total level of 50, no restrictions on evos). When RBY LC was retroactively created by a handful of oldschool players, they allowed impossible movesets (mons using any move available to them at 100, just at level 5). Since that's not a cart-legal format, it was ineligible to be a challenge option on PS, leading to a cart-legal tradebacks version (that tragically bans Clefairy). A challenge option was never made, so that never really caught on. I have a shelved skeleton of an intro guide to the format somewhere in TFP archives, and a general RBY LC guide would probably be a better place to start, considering how small the playerbases of both versions are. Maybe if it gets a rotational ladder at some point, it'd get enough activity / interest going to do analyses.

Probably not, tbh. LC wasn't possible until Gen 2's breeding; Stadium just had Pika Cup instead (pretty cool-looking format: 3v3, levels 15-20, total level of 50, no restrictions on evos). When RBY LC was retroactively created by a handful of oldschool players, they allowed impossible movesets (mons using any move available to them at 100, just at level 5). Since that's not a cart-legal format, it was ineligible to be a challenge option on PS, leading to a cart-legal tradebacks version (that tragically bans Clefairy). A challenge option was never made, so that never really caught on. I have a shelved skeleton of an intro guide to the format somewhere in TFP archives, and a general RBY LC guide would probably be a better place to start, considering how small the playerbases of both versions are. Maybe if it gets a rotational ladder at some point, it'd get enough activity / interest going to do analyses.
I see. But... what do you mean by "rotationnal ladder" ? If by that you mean an person to care about all that, i can be the one.

EDIT: If i asked this at all, it was for doing G1 Magicarp/Weedle in priority, because they are in my opinion left out. That is why i want to do them.

Last edited:
I see. But... what do you mean by "rotationnal ladder" ? If by that you mean an person to care about all that, i can be the one.

EDIT: If i asked this at all, it was for doing G1 Magicarp/Weedle in priority, because they are in my opinion left out. That is why i want to do them.
We have three ladders on PS that rotate monthly between different old gens formats. The first cycles through each gen's UU, then each gen's Ubers, repeat; the second is a community's choice; and the third is a staff's pick. The current community's choice is DPP Team Preview OU, and voting for next month's will probably go up some time this weekend. RBY LC would require extra programming due to the various illegal move combinations, which is the main reason it hasn't been featured yet.

Also, Magicarp + Weedle are awful in both versions of RBY LC (they sadly weren't even viable in the oldschool micrometa RBY LC UU, which only had 11 mons.) An analysis for either would be a waste of time, as there's nothing to customize about them (stats are maxed in RBY, no items or abilities, and they have less than 4 moves each) and no reason to use them. Only joke analyses for those would fly, and they'd have to be genuinely funny to be worth putting up.

Aaronboyer

I don't know how far down the ADV NU rabbit hole we are going, but can I reserve Unown and / or SubCM Salac Smoochum?

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
I don't know how far down the ADV NU rabbit hole we are going, but can I reserve Unown and / or SubCM Salac Smoochum?
Smoochum no, I looked into it and it's just too frail and slow to make it worth it.

Unown sure, but don't make it too serious. I would keep the overview onsite as is (lol)

Also, Magicarp + Weedle are awful in both versions of RBY LC (they sadly weren't even viable in the oldschool micrometa RBY LC UU, which only had 11 mons.) An analysis for either would be a waste of time, as there's nothing to customize about them (stats are maxed in RBY, no items or abilities, and they have less than 4 moves each) and no reason to use them. Only joke analyses for those would fly, and they'd have to be genuinely funny to be worth putting up.
Thanks for taking the time to reply and more importantly answer me. I tried to do an review for Magicarp ( https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/magicarp-lc-qc-x-3.3636997/#post-7815149 ), and apparently, apart the fact that it got locked, Oglemi him(her ?)self found it funny (in the previous link you can see that) and i'm in no doubt that at least one other person did.

Jokes, boot-licking and chatting aside, i would like to reserve Spinarak G2 (and LC, but that isn't to be presised yet). first of all, because i have an intimate link with this particuliar pokemon, making me know a lot more than the usual PU mook. Secondly, and somewhat inked with the first one... Am i the only on to even care about this pokemon ?

Aaronboyer

Thanks for taking the time to reply and more importantly answer me. I tried to do an review for Magicarp ( https://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/magicarp-lc-qc-x-3.3636997/#post-7815149 ), and apparently, apart the fact that it got locked, Oglemi him(her ?)self found it funny (in the previous link you can see that) and i'm in no doubt that at least one other person did.

Jokes, boot-licking and chatting aside, i would like to reserve Spinarak G2 (and LC, but that isn't to be presised yet). first of all, because i have an intimate link with this particuliar pokemon, making me know a lot more than the usual PU mook. Secondly, and somewhat inked with the first one... Am i the only on to even care about this pokemon ?
Hi, I happen to be a PU main, and while I don’t have the authority to say ultimately whether or not you can do this analysis, I would like to point out that GSC PU has been out for less than month, and that we don’t have any sort of resources other than a tier list put together because we are trying to sort stuff out still. I’m not for sure how big the GSC LC community is, or even if that’s an actual thing (ADV LC for sure is). Therefore, the likelihood of Spinarak getting an on-site analysis is considerably low.

Sneasel isn't on the ADV VR for NU, but it says its NU here: https://www.smogon.com/dex/rs/pokemon/sneasel/uu/ Either way, I would like to reserve it.
This is apparently a mistake: Sneasel is classified as UU on Showdown and it's a "C Rank top" in the UU VRs (at the same level as Magmar or Stantler, which are two official UUs). There are other small errors of the same type: Persian and Rapidash are classified as UU in DP and BW (while they are NU) and Jellicent is classified as NU in XY (while it's RU).

Can I pick up Wailord and Tropius for ADV NU? I can also grab Vigoroth down the line just as a heads up.

edit: ill just get vigoroth now if its cool

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)