ORAS OU (Peaked 1700) ExcaZard Y

I wanted to make a team based around Charizard Y and sand rush sweeper Excadril. Even though they don't work too well together since Charizard removes the sand that Excadrill needs every time it comes in. Didn't think about that too much though as I made the team mostly for fun and it still worked out quite well. So here's the team:

I started with Excadrill and Zard as that was what I wanted to build around
+

Since Excadrill needed a sand setter I had to run Hippo or Tyranitar, I wasn't sure yet which to run so I just added Tyranitar at this point.
+
+

I now decided to add Azumarill to work as a wallbreaker together with Zard.
+
+
+

I felt like a Heal Bell user was needed at this point since my team was really weak to status so I added Umbreon. This made my team really weak to fighting so I changed Tyranitar to Hippo.
+
+
+
+

I felt like I needed some speed so I added Latios
+
+
+
+
+

After having played a few games on it, I noticed that Umbreon wasn't putting in any pressure on my opponent when coming in so I changed it to Sylveon. (Got to 1700 with both Umbreon and Sylveon on different accounts when testing.)
+
+
+
+
+

And this is the finished team.

Charizard @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

So the first pokemon that I wanted to build around is Mega Charizard Y, it is a really strong wallbreaker under the sun and OHKOs or 2HKOs most switch ins. I usually want to get Zard in as often as possible since there aren't many pokemon that can safely switch in on it, It mostly just works as a wallbreaker to weaken the pokemon that Excadrill doesn't beat. I'm using a standard Zard Y set and decided to use Flamethrower over Fire Blast because I don't want the only STAB move to miss when it really matters.

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

The second pokemon that I wanted to build around is Excadrill, or more specifically, Sand Rush Excadrill. Excadrill is supposed to come in whenever the opponents team is weakened enough to get swept and also when it needs to spin. Standard Sand sweeper Excadrill basically, Iron head and Earthquake for the STAB moves, Rock Slide to hit annoying Flying types and Rapid Spin to remove rocks.

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Since I wanted to run Sand Rush Excadrill I needed a sand setter ans I decided to use Hippo over Tyranitar because I didn't want to have too big of a Fighting weakness (at the time I had Umbreon on the team). Hippo is supposed to set up Rocks, take hits and set up Sand. It really doesn't do more than that other than be annoying. I'm running the standard Mixed def spread with Rocks, Slack Off, Earthquake and Whirlwind. I decided to run Whirlwind over a second offensive move to stop set up sweepers and switch ins.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

I decided to run Banded Azumaril as a wallbreaker together with Zard Y so that Excadrill could sweep more easily. All that Azumarill does is switch in when it can and hit something hard. I run 92 Spe to out speed support Tyranitar and the rest is put in HP. I decided to run superpower over Knock Off to hit Ferrothorn harder.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 244 Def / 12 Spe
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Since I'm running a team so weak to Burn and Paralysis I decided that I should run a Heal Beller. I originally used Umbreon with the same moveset except Foul play being the attacking move, but changed that into Sylveon because Umbreon without Toxic didn't put enough pressure on my opponent. So instead I now have a Sylveon that beats dragons, takes hits and Heal Bells. It's a pretty standard Cleric Sylveon set running lots of Def and one attacking move.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Calm Mind

Now my team wasn't very fast at this point so I decided to add a fast pokemon, with a scarf. I decided to run Latios because it's fast and hits hard. So this is a really strange set, I'm running Trick scarf with Calm Mind. The point is that It's supposed to Trick the scarf onto a bulky pokemon like Ferro or Chansey to make them free switch ins for my wallbreakers. But I'm also running Calm Mind. The reason for that is that when you Trick let's say a Ferrothorn, it'll either have to set up rocks/seeds, attack or switch out. That means that if it goes for rocks or seeds you can freely set up against it, if it goes for an attack you can safely switch out and if it switches something else has to deal with you +1 Latios. Of course you wouldn't be able to do it if your opponent runs something like Clefable but otherwise it works quite well. I Have considered running Earthquake instead of Psyshock in order to beat Heatran.

Most battles I won with this team ended up with either Zard or Excadrill sweeping after weakening the opponents pokemon. So far I've had a lot of problem playing against Lando-I and Talonflame. Lando-I is a big problem because Excadrill can't OHKO it with Iron head even after Rocks and my team doesn't really have a switch in for it. Talonflame is a big problem for this team, my only real way of killing Talonflame, especially if it run spdef, is to get up sand and send in Excadrill, but that doesn't work when my opponent still has defensive walls around so I'm considering running Stone Edge on Hippo instead of Whirlwind or changing it to Tyranitar.

Thanks for reading my RMT, if you can give any criticism or advice or just feel like using the team then please feel free to do so.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide

Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick
- Calm Mind

Shiny: Yes
Modest Nature
- Flamethrower Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Roost
- Focus Blast

Hippowdon @ Smooth Rock
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Earthquake
- Whirlwind

Is now:

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Crunch

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

Is now:

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Latios @ Choice Scarf Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe / 4 Atk
Timid Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Trick Roost
- Calm Mind Earthquake

Last edited:
Wow, a mixed weather team that is similar to mine. I don't feel so special anymore =(. Anyway, I would swap Charizard's nature to timid and give him Fire Blast. The power of that move will make up for the power u lose with your nature. You also have a (*squints eyes*) tiny weakness to poison. Other than that, great team! I like it and I might try it out. =)

The reason I don't run Timid Zard is because Modest still out speeds pretty much everything you want to out speed with the exception of Jolly Excadrill and maybe something else. Running Timid only means you speed tie with a lot of pokemon you don't really want to stay in on anyway. I am thinking of switching back Flamethrower to Fire Blast though. The poison weakness is making me think of switching out Azumarill for something else.

Scotti

we back.
Hey cool team, but I have a few suggestions that can help improve.

Firstly I recommend running Timid Nature on zard y and running fire blast over flamethrower. With timid nature you outspeed important threats to your team like tail glow manaphy, jolly excadrill, hydreigon, kyu-b, and speed tie with other base 100s. I never did get why people ran modest, when timid allowed you to take on most of the same threats, while out pacing more threats. Because your running timid fire blast > flamethrower, however flamethrower is still nice if you want a move with more pp and doesn't miss. The next change I recommend is running spdef ttar over hippowdon. Your team is fairly weak to latios and latias, and zard y would love to have both of those threats out of the way. That is why I recommend spdef tar over hippo, because it benefits your team a lot more. Spdef ttar also takes on tflame and helps greatly against bird spam teams. I will post the set down below. On azumarill run a spread of 88 hp | 252 atk | 164 spe | 4 def. This spread allows you to out pace bulky bisharp and skarmory, while out pacing everything you already faster than with your current spread. A bulky bisharp, could be pretty dam annoying for your team to handles, so out speeding it with azumarill is very nice. Your team is shit on by regular mega gyarados, opposing banded azumarill, and powerful fairies. That is why I recommend running ferrothorn over sylveon. Sylveon really doesn't help much for your team, while ferrothorn helps a hell of a lot. Ferrothorn helps take on the threats I mentioned above, and can set up spikes. Spikes + Stealth Rock is also very helpful against more defensive based teams, allowing you to break through them a lot easier. You mentioned earlier that you have been debating running earthquake on latios, well now is your chance. Scarf latios in general is pretty meh and is only really helpful on teams without fast mons or priority. However your team contains a form of priorty and a great revenge killer in the form of excadrill in sand. Your team really doesn't need scarf latios and would greatly benefit by running the life orb set.

sets

Tyranitar @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Pursuit
- Rock Slide
- Crunch

Ferrothorn @ Shed Shell
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Impish Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip
- Leech Seed
- Spikes

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Earthquake

I hope I helped :]

Thanks for the advice, it really does help. I was thinking about adding Ferro but I wasn't sure what to remove for it. Sylveon is indeed the least useful pokemon so I'll switch it out as Ferro would be a better choice, Sylveon was mostly just around to Heal Bell anyway and I can play around the statuses. I'll change Hippo to Ttar too since Talonflame is a bit too big of a problem, even though this makes half the team weak to fighting I guess it still works since the other half resists it. I'm not too convinced about Timid Zard though since I want it to hit as hard as possible and the only things I would stay in on, even if it was Timid, wouldn't have an easier time against Modest Zard. The only thing would be Excadrill which I don't have a switch in for and without Hippo Sand rush Excadrill now sweeps the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)