Pikachu Cup [Online Competition]

Yes, granted you're not facing any pokemon with abilities that make them immune to electric attacks. Even if they're changed to water type, the ability remains the same. Mega Ampharos ignores those abilities but also ignores your teammates ability, so you'd be hitting Lanturn as well with Discharge and with STAB neutral damage too. Also, Soak only targets one pokemon unlike Discharge. Overall, I think you're better off using tbolt.
What if it was room wash with discharge and volt absorb lanturn it would help with offense and defense

The soak strategy has a major flaw I have learned from pokemon showdown. If the ability of the target absorbs electric moves it still makes electric moves useless, and also makes the only weakness of the soaked pokemon grass, which btw mow rotom is the only electric grass type. That being said it's probably best to look at different strategies because most electric types (especially the ones being used) will have things such as motor drive and volt absorb.

The soak strategy has a major flaw I have learned from pokemon showdown. If the ability of the target absorbs electric moves it still makes electric moves useless, and also makes the only weakness of the soaked pokemon grass, which btw mow rotom is the only electric grass type. That being said it's probably best to look at different strategies because most electric types (especially the ones being used) will have things such as motor drive and volt absorb.
Yeah, we realize that. That's why Mega Amph(Mold Breaker) is the only viable partner with the soak strategy. I guess grass rotom could work too but you'd always be lowering your SpA so idk about that.

Yeah, we realize that. That's why Mega Amph(Mold Breaker) is the only viable partner with the soak strategy. I guess grass rotom could work too but you'd always be lowering your SpA so idk about that.
Also not entirely true, gastro acid elektross can also be a viable partner. Not only can it suppress the ability with gastro acid it can also use giga drain which since you just made it solely water type will do a ton of damage and heal you back some XD

Also not entirely true, gastro acid elektross can also be a viable partner. Not only can it suppress the ability with gastro acid it can also use giga drain which since you just made it solely water type will do a ton of damage and heal you back some XD
Eh, the strategy itself is already tough to pull off. I think adding a second move to make it necessary to pull off is a bit too far. Giga drain is alright but unstab so idk how strong its really gonna be

I've bred a nice team for myself, but I'm hitting a snag on Stunfisk. He's powerful, yes, but I initially bred him as:

Stunfisk @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Static
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

I found out Discharge in this meta is nearly useless, and now I'm torn between Sludge Bomb and Scald.

Would they be viable options?

I've bred a nice team for myself, but I'm hitting a snag on Stunfisk. He's powerful, yes, but I initially bred him as:

Stunfisk @ Shuca Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

I found out Discharge in this meta is nearly useless, and now I'm torn between Sludge Bomb and Scald.

Well considering this is doubles how about protect?

Stunfisk @ Shuca Berry
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Discharge
- Earth Power
- Toxic

Three of those moves are going to be useless to you, unfortunately. It seems like you may be new to doubles? Battles are not going to last long enough for Toxic to rack up damage, and switching doesn't occur frequently enough to justify the turn spent using Stealth Rock.

The reason to use Stunfisk here is that it does big, big damage (for this reason, I also might consider Modest for the nature and SpA investment; he picks up OHKOs on many Pokemon in the format) while taking little in return. Both Sludge Bomb AND Scald are useful, with your choice for the last move. Useful options include Protect, Rock Tomb (speed control and damage on Rotom-Frost), Fissure, and maybe others.

What if it was room wash with discharge and volt absorb lanturn it would help with offense and defense
I guess you could always try Dry Skin Heliolisk with Parabolic Charge and Volt Absorb Lanturn with Surf.

Edit: Give Heliolisk Surf and Lanturn Water Absorb?

Last edited:
Super hyped for this tournament and metagame. These kind of competitions are my favourites.

Emolga is really good, as Tailwind is the best speed control available and it is the only user. It also has great speed and with max speed and HP inestment it always tanks one hit. I have never faced a lead matchup where both opponents outspeed it though, which could be a bit scary. Therefore l have decided to use Mental Herb to guarantee Tailwind and so far l have seen no reason to change the item. For attack l have been trying Last Resort with some success. With Tailwind / Protect / Helping Hand you easily use up all the other moves and without attack investment Emolga will never have any better damage output. Knock Off works too, depends on the team really.

One mon l have not seen discussed (or any other than me use) is Eviolite Eelektrik. Eelektross is so good offensively that it feels like a waste to go a defensive route with it, so it works out great. It is also the slowest u-turn user in the tier, which helps a lot when setting up Tailwind to get a mon like Stunfisk or Electivire in for free. It also has access to Super Fang, Knock Off and Light Screen, letting it help up in a ton of matchups. With Emolga vs Electivire lead you can protect Emolga and proceed to for example Knock Off a potential Scarf from Electivire or Light Screen vs the many special attackers and then u-turn out turn 2. Not saying it is good in every matchup but on a dedicated Tailwind team l would defo say it is worth considering.

I went from hyped for Stunfisk to sceptical due to speed to now almost feeling it is mandatory due to how scary Cotton Guard Ampharos, Coil Eelektross and other defensive boosters are. It really is the special attacker in the tier. With max speed in Tailwind it outspeeds most non-scarfers and even if Tailwind isnt up it outspeeds any Ampharos which isnt maxed out in speed, which is basically only for Tailwind teams. Except for Earth Power it is hard to say which moves are best though. I have been going for Muddy Water and Sludge Bomb to both have coverage for levitaters, different Rotom formes as well as having one apread move and one single target move. As for item, l think Expert Belt is legit, unless Life Orb grants some nice ohko's... Need to look more into that.

Electivire... Basically mandatory this meta l feel like but damn, hard to make a "perfect set" for. So many options overall. Scarf is good but being looked into say EQ with so many levitaters around is risky... Same with Choice Band. Life Orb recoil also scary with the meh defenses. Still probably the best item, espescially if jolly to guarantee 2hko on most Mega Ampharos. For coverage, l am liking Cross Chop a lot, since fighting does solid damage to everything. Rock Slide and Facade are also good, but can only pick one if you want Protect. As for Eelektross, it really is good and versatile so it can run whatever set the team needs basically, probs one of the scariest mons to change. The whole matchup can change depending on set. Choice Band Superpower ohko's a ton, max HP and attack Black Belt Drain Punch can get a lot of hits off, and then we have special attacking variants and all coverage moves...

Currently as 6th member l am trying out Zebstrika. Good speed and attack, so maybe one of the better Choice Band cleaners in the metagame. I am also looking forward to winning a game later with a Choice Band Me First *insert move* ...

"I must build the team for the Pikachu Cup.. But today's so hot, this sun is going to kill me..."
SUN!!
So, I'm going to build a Sun team, Pokémon like Heliolisk and Rotom-Heat will enjoy it, while I can smash easier Rotom-Cut/Wash and Lanturn, then, many electric 'mons learn fire moves; manectric will be the mega.
What do you think about, guys?

"I must build the team for the Pikachu Cup.. But today's so hot, this sun is going to kill me..."
SUN!!
So, I'm going to build a Sun team, Pokémon like Heliolisk and Rotom-Heat will enjoy it, while I can smash easier Rotom-Cut/Wash and Lanturn, then, many electric 'mons learn fire moves; manectric will be the mega.
What do you think about, guys?
Seems cool to me, like someone mentioned earlier in the thread the jolteon + helioisk combination looks pretty good.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Uh, that's true. Awu isn't there problem if i borrow that core, right?
Hello Skyark

To be honest at the beginning of the pikachu cup it was really strong but now people know to counter that duo with levitate pokemons such as Eelektross and Rotom or even Air Ballon item.

But it still definitely can own some pokemons for sure.

Reisen

Translations Project Creator
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
McShuckle from PS! did a nice analysis table for the Pikachu Cup, it might help.

http://imgur.com/a/hMCVQ

"McShuckle: Speed Tiers and Weaknesses summed up in two pics, it's easier than going into a bunch of tabs imo."
"McShuckle: Mega-Ampharos, Tailwind, Mold Breaker, 1 Point faster than Electrode, and he has Bulldoze."

Hello Skyark

To be honest at the beginning of the pikachu cup it was really strong but now people know to counter that duo with levitate pokemons such as Eelektross and Rotom or even Air Ballon item.

But it still definitely can own some pokemons for sure.
Mhm, It must be rielaborate for sure. For example, Jolteon can learn Helping Hand.... Heliolisk uses Hyper Voice (STAB + Solar Power + Helping Hand + Choice Specs)
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Heliolisk Helping Hand Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Assault Vest Eelektross in Sun: 136-162 (70.8 - 84.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Solar Power Heliolisk Helping Hand Hyper Voice vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Electivire in Sun: 195-231 (129.1 - 152.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Maybe Heliolisk needs to be covered from who can kill it, but IMO is a powerful combo. Then we have: Rotom-H, Eelektross, M-Manectric, Electivire that can learn fire moves. I still like my idea.

I wasn't planning on posting my team but since I'm now in the top 10 of the PikaCup Ladder I'm confident enough to share it with you guys. Hope you find it interesting.

Aniki (Electivire) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Motor Drive
Level: 50
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Rock Slide
- Ice Punch

This is basically the mandatory pokemon for this event so I will introduce it first. Choice Scarf Electivire is a fast and effective answer to lot of strategies. It outspeeds and OHKO's top threats like Heliolisk and Jolteon and also serves as a late game cleaner picking up weakened pokemon like LO Electivires, M-Ampharos Lanturn etc. Rock Slide is my preferred move when I don't want to lock into EQ, if I'm not mistaken ScarfVire outspeeds the whole meta so you can get flinches now and then, it also hits Emolga, Galvantula and Rotom-F/H for SE damage. Brick Break was chosen for the occasional Screens strategy although I haven't seen that recently, it also has a chance of OHKOing Heliolisk also does heavy damage to Rotom-F. Ice Punch for hitting M-Amphy and Rotom-C when I don't want to lock into EQ although most of the time I end up using Rock Slide as M-Amphy & rotom-C are slower than Electivire.

Dynamo (Eelektross) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Atk / 204 SpD
Careful Nature
- Drain Punch
- Dragon Claw
- Protect
- Coil

Coil Elektross is excellent in the meta and especially in this team as I have very fast threats that my opponents tend to prioritize over Eelektross. This gives Eelektross the opportunity to Coil several times each game, because of this it is always in the team along with Evire. It's bulk paired with Drain Punch also helps in stacking Coil Boosts. Dragon Claw disposes of Max HP M-amphy in two hits after a single Coil Boost. The main counters to this eel are status effects specially Burn and people playing smart double targeting it before it gets enough boosts.

Pikapi (Pikachu) (M) @ Light Ball
Ability: Lightning Rod
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Knock Off
- Encore
- Protect

Pikapi(Satoshi) is in the team just for the theme of the competition. I bring it when I see a NFE pokemon on my opponents team meaning Knock Off will be useful for removing the Eviolite. Fake Out and Encore are good support moves that allow Eelektross to boost easily. Pikachu is completely outclassed by Raichu because it is faster, so I have protect here to bait the Fake Out and the following Encore(by Raichu) into Pikachu allowing for a possible free switch. It is useless to give HP EVs to pikachu as it can't take a hit so I added Max Attack and Speed which in conjuction with Light Ball can net you some surprising 2HKO's or finish off a pokemon.

Leg-Oh (Stunfisk) (F) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Scald
- Protect

Stunfisk is here to counter opposing Coil/AV Eelektross and other bulky pokemon strats with Toxic. This mon can also use STAB Earth Power dealing massive damage to the majority of the meta. I'm still undecided if I want Scald or Sludge Bomb for the 3rd slot, Scald helps against Evire having a 30% chance burn but SludgeBomb hits Rotom-C for SE damage. Went for a MaxHP Max Spdef considering how Specially offensive this meta is.
At first I had Eelektross's item and Stunfisk item reversed but Eelektross tends to stay more in the field so it benefits alot more from lefties than Stunfisk, and Stunfisk avoids 2HKOs with Sitrus when the opponent chooses to double target it which happens a lot...

Bzzt (Rotom-Mow) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Will-O-Wisp
- Protect

Rotom-C is my Lanturn, Stunfisk and the not so popular Rotom-W check dealing heavy damage or OHKOing with Leaf Storm. I chose Hp Ice because it gives better coverage than HP Ground and lets me beat opposing rotom-C 1v1, been thinking of switching to Hex considering it almost always ends up WoW something. Will-o-Wisp let's me neutralize opposing Electivires and is a good status for Eelektross especially the Coil set. I only bring rotom-C when I see both Lanturn and Stunfisk on my opponents team or if Stunfisk is not a good pokemon to bring to deal with Eelektross.

Zonya (Zebstrika) (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap Sipper
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 100 Atk / 196 SpA / 212 Spe
Naive Nature
- Double-Edge
- Me First
- Overheat
- Protect

This is the innovative pokemon in my team, Me First Zebstrika. I usually tend to add a wild card in my teams just for fun... even though most of the times it ends up with me not doing so well in the competition xD. The role of this Zebra is to "steal/copy" powerful moves from strong pokemon using Me First. Since there's only 3 pokemon faster than Zebstrika in this meta(electrode, MManectric and Jolteon) Me First is a viable move imo. Naive with 212 Speed EVs lets Zebstrika outspeed Raichu, spending more EVs is a waste as Zebstrika can't outspeed Jolteon. A mixed nature is used to allow Zebstrika to copy physical and special moves like Electivire's EQ and Heliolisk's HyperVoice with a 50% power boost (pseudo STAB). 196 SpA EVs allows for Overheat to OHKO 4HP/0 SpDef Rotom-C and the rest of the EVs are placed in Attack to deliver strong Double-Edges and copied EQ's. Once you Me First an Evire trying to EQ and OHKOing it before it attakcs you will never take out this pokemon form your team haha.

Playing with the team

Eelektross and Electivire will almost always be chosen to play as they are great pokemon to use in this meta. Electivire crushes a lot of strategies with its fast EQs and Eelektross is REALLY hard to take down giving you a lot of opportunities to win.

My Main strategy is to Coil as much as I can with Eelektross while applying pressure with the rest of the team which is quite speedy so it takes common strategies by surprise. I often lead with Eelektross and either Electivire or Pikachu. Despite what I said about Pikachu it usually ends up being useless against opposing Raichu so if I see Raichu in the team preview I will usually bench Pikapi and lead with Electivire and Eelektross instead. This Combo provides enormous offensive pressure forcing a protect now and then allowing Eelektross to Coil rather safely. Pikachu is used against Emolga to prevent it from Tailwinding and also gives Eelektross Coil opportunities.

The other 2 pokemon are also chosen depending on the opponent's team, Zebstrika is often the 3rd pokemon as it can defeat opposing Electivires if for some reason I misplay my electivire and lose it early. If there's no Leaf Storm weak pokemon Stunfisk is the 4th pokemon.

I'm not running a Mega as Manectric is rather underwhelming and Ampharos is too slow even with Tailwind and other means of speed control it doesn't outspeed many pokemon or at least the ones that matter.

Issues

Bad lead match ups can screw my Coil strategy or make me lose Electivire early. My bad lead match ups are usually Raichu+M-Amphy as they can double target Eelektross on the first turn and weaken it badly making it almost useless as the damage output is very low without 1 or 2 Coils.

Emolga + Electivire can go bad for me if I let Emolga set up a Tail Wind and Electiver launches Helping Hand Boosted attacks that hit like a truck.

Status(Toxic/Burn) easily ruins the Coil strat.

Wierd stuff... surprise factor is always scary. Examples are Disable Galvantula, Taunt/Swagger Emolga, Scarf Modest Heliolisk etc.

Sorry for the poorly written analysis of my team. I'm open to feedback and suggetions especially regarding Rotom-C and Stunfisk

Edit: Almost forgot my battle vids
Some random feeling the wrath of Me First
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pikachucup-256065767
Taking mah fren Tatertot to Flinch Town
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pikachucup-256047256
Against Theorymon
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/pikachucup-256013001

Last edited:
Hmmm, these strategies are all very interesting. I have been bouncing strategies alot, and I have learned there is no win all strategy (or even win most lol). My team wrecks the emolga strategu, but is weak to helping hand heliolisk hyper voice, as well as heat rotom, and a couple other things, it tends to also destroy when less tanky things are sent out first (emolga, pikachu, raichu, jolteon, heliolisk (dependent how you play it), and electivire sometimes, but when lanturn or heat rotom is thrown out I end up having problems. I have some more ideas of minor changes I will be implementing and testing. I'll let you know how it goes.

I'll cry for sure for breed 'mons with hidden power ice/ground. I have not ditto with hp e nobody want trade them easy. X°

Aaanyway, at last my team is here:

Jolteon @ Heat Rock
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Signal Beam
- Protect
- Helping Hand

Electivire @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

But I'm starting to think that just jolteon as sun setter is hard to play. Mmh, maybe I'll build another team later.

I'll cry for sure for breed 'mons with hidden power ice/ground. I have not ditto with hp e nobody want trade them easy. X°

Aaanyway, at last my team is here:

Jolteon @ Heat Rock
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sunny Day
- Signal Beam
- Protect
- Helping Hand

Electivire @ Lum Berry
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fire Punch
- Earthquake
- Brick Break
- Protect

Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Timid Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Overheat
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Protect

Eelektross @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Power-Up Punch
- Drain Punch
- Fire Punch
- Rock Slide

Heliolisk @ Choice Specs
Ability: Solar Power
Timid Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Dragon Pulse

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid Nature
- Flamethrower
- Protect
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Signal Beam

But I'm starting to think that just jolteon as sun setter is hard to play. Mmh, maybe I'll build another team later.
Where are you looking for the Ditto? Try the WiFi section here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)