Pokémon GO

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Exclusive move for Bayleef evolved into Meganium during Community Day this Saturday is confirmed to be Frenzy Plant.
The world is shocked.

By the way, is 15 min Raid eggs going to be the new normal now? It's been a disaster here so far, since almost nobody turn up to the start of the raid on such short notice, and nobody has time to hang around the Gym for long enough for a crowd to gather. If the goal was to increase the spontaneity of the raids, mission accomplished, but the feasibility of actually raiding is turned most of the way down to zero.

The world is shocked.

By the way, is 15 min Raid eggs going to be the new normal now? It's been a disaster here so far, since almost nobody turn up to the start of the raid on such short notice, and nobody has time to hang around the Gym for long enough for a crowd to gather. If the goal was to increase the spontaneity of the raids, mission accomplished, but the feasibility of actually raiding is turned most of the way down to zero.
Excited to embark on more legendary adventures, Trainer? We have even more Ultra Bonus event surprises to help you along the way! While Articuno, Zapdos, and Moltres are available, Raid Eggs will hatch in only 15 minutes, with Raid Battle times increasing to 90 minutes!
Seems like it's limited to this week, or at least I hope so.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Over here, the raid scene massively appreciates the timers but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it's because my community is hardcore in general so they'd rather not wait 45 mins from an egg if 15 is available. I and most here would personally love if eggs were abolished entirely like what happened near the beginning of the raid boss system (just 1 hour and 30 minutes of raid boss).

I'm a casual player, and the thing for me is that there's only people at the raid at the beginning. If you miss the first 2 minutes, you miss the raid entirely. The 15 minutes timer makes it more difficult to time your travel and arrival at the gym, and the hour and a half duration serves no extra purpose since there's not gonna be anyone there to raid with anyway.

From Serebii:

Earlier today, various iOS users got sent a push notification with Pokémon GO that stated that the Mythical Pokémon Deoxys is to enter EX Raid Battles soon. At present we have no further information about this but will provide all the details as they come so be sure to keep checking back

Might be jumping the gun with this news about deoxys as the new ex raid, but do we know how he stacks up compared to mewtwo? I’m gonna ask for attack and neutral form (even tho we don’t know how the forms will work) but obviously has higher attack and psycho boost compared to psystrike, but the fraility might hamper it. Just wondering seeing how it’s the only thing that would rival mewtwo as a psychic attacker.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
I'm a casual player, and the thing for me is that there's only people at the raid at the beginning. If you miss the first 2 minutes, you miss the raid entirely. The 15 minutes timer makes it more difficult to time your travel and arrival at the gym, and the hour and a half duration serves no extra purpose since there's not gonna be anyone there to raid with anyway.
Yea that's fair. My suspicions were confirmed in the fact that hardcore players really do value this change significantly overall, and the casuals I spoke to today while doing some raids also believe that it is for the better. Who am I to say though?

Might be jumping the gun with this news about deoxys as the new ex raid, but do we know how he stacks up compared to mewtwo? I’m gonna ask for attack and neutral form (even tho we don’t know how the forms will work) but obviously has higher attack and psycho boost compared to psystrike, but the fraility might hamper it. Just wondering seeing how it’s the only thing that would rival mewtwo as a psychic attacker.
We've known for a while... the results are quite disappointing, to say the least.

Here's the stats for Mewtwo:

300 Atk, 182 Def, 193 HP, 3982 CP at max.

Here's the stats for the Deoxys formes:

Normal: 345 Atk, 115 Def, 100 HP, 2749 CP at max.
Attack: 414 Atk, 46 Def, 100 HP, 2244 CP at max.
Defense: 144 Atk, 330 Def, 100 HP, 1978 CP at max.
Speed: 230 Atk, 218 Def, 100 HP, 2504 CP at max.

Short of mechanic changes... we can immediately discard Deoxys-D due to the fact that it can't be placed in gyms and has a horrendous attacking stat.

Deoxys-S is honestly an inferior Alakazam / Espeon. They have way more Atk and some HP to offset the slight defense Deo-S has over them.

Deoxys-A has a monstrous Atk stat but its Def is so awful that it will likely die before it gets moves in... that said, its charge attacks (should you be able to launch one, lol) should absolutely murder whatever is in front of it. It should also be the only Tier 5 you can solo without exploits or glitches ala Moltres.

Deoxys / Deoxys-N is the more promising of the bunch, as it still retains a massive Atk stat while also having slightly better bulk than Deo-A. Unfortunately I don't think it's of much use given what Mewtwo currently offers.

All of the formes are also affected by two things: 1) The addition of Psystrike to Mewtwo's movepool in the next few days and 2) how absolutely awful Psycho Boost is at present.

Ultimately they are just dex entries and Mewtwo is very likely to just outclass all of them quite handily but who really knows.

Anyone knows how to get a Spinda? Everyone is telling me something different. I didn't even know Spinda was in the game until I saw him in a gym today lol

All of the formes are also affected by two things: 1) The addition of Psystrike to Mewtwo's movepool in the next few days and 2) how absolutely awful Psycho Boost is at present.

Ultimately they are just dex entries and Mewtwo is very likely to just outclass all of them quite handily but who really knows.
How likely do you guys think it is that they change Psycho Boost before Deoxys' release? Didn't they end up changing Blast Burn at the last minute for Community Day Charizard?

Anyone knows how to get a Spinda? Everyone is telling me something different. I didn't even know Spinda was in the game until I saw him in a gym today lol
You get Spinda as a spawn from a specific Field Research (the little tasks you get from spinning a PokeStop). The one that yields a Spinda is "Make A Great Curveball Throw".

Deoxys confirmed.

The Mythical Pokémon Deoxys Transforms EX Raids!

It’s time to prepare for a new challenge from a powerful Mythical Pokémon originally discovered in the Hoenn region! The DNA Pokémon, Deoxys, will arrive for EX Raid Battles. This Psychic-type Mythical Pokémon will be available to challenge in its Normal Forme beginning with the next cycle of EX Raid invitations.
Are you new to EX Raids? You can become eligible to receive an EX Raid Pass when you win a Raid Battle at a qualifying Gym. And from now on, you’ll be able to see which Gyms can host an EX Raid through a handy tag when you look at the Gym details. EX Raid Passes will give you the date and time when you’ll be able to challenge Deoxys, so mark your calendar and prepare your Pokémon for an epic battle!
Battling Deoxys will be a difficult challenge that requires Trainers to take advantage of every opportunity—and maybe get a little help from a friend! From now on, when you receive an EX Raid Pass, you will be able to invite one friend to go with you! Keep in mind that invites can only be sent to an Ultra Friend or Best Friend, so don’t forget to battle with friends, send Gifts, and trade Pokémon to build up your Friendship level.
Do you have what it takes? Best of luck, Trainer—Deoxys Normal Forme is waiting!

—The Pokémon GO team
The Japanese site confirms that Deoxys will be available early Friday morning (when Mewtwo exits EX Raids).

Also didn't know about the Spinda thing. I don't ever remember seeing a task like that, though, is it still available?

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader
In addition to what was said, Spinda has 8 forms in the game. Last month form 8 was released and is unobtainable now. Form 3 is now out for that task (Make a Great Curveball) and you can obtain it now. If you want Form 8, you need to trade or wait for it to come back in rotation.

Here's the list in order (1,2,3,4 at the top and 5,6,7,8 at the bottom. Shinies are in the code but not released yet):

How likely do you guys think it is that they change Psycho Boost before Deoxys' release? Didn't they end up changing Blast Burn at the last minute for Community Day Charizard?
Very likely - they've changed most Community Days pre-release (Smack Down and Hydro Cannon are some other examples) and since 99% of these tend to be really good it's likely that signature moves will also be properly adjusted. Ultimately, it is up to Niantic.

Last edited:
Same here lol

Also, Deoxys when Mewtwo leaves? We're getting spoiled here :D
It's crazy because I always do the easiest research tasks like throwing 3/5 (consecutive) nice/greats, spinning 10 Poke Stops, catching 5 weather boosted Pokemon etc but I've never actually gotten just throw a curved great.

For those who reside in Japan: every day from September 21st to October 1st, every McDonald's that is also a gym in Japan will have Mewtwo raids at 3pm.

Last edited:

Expert Evan

every battle has a smell!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Barely did a Mewtwo raid immediately after it became available and was very hard. Didn't realize at first it was CP 60540 until we saw how slow it was going down. Fortunately we had more join our raid so we could defeat it then go to the bonus and catch round. I'm quite sure its catch rate went down from 6% to 2% as it took me almost all 12 balls to catch it. Thankfully I had the gym and ultra friend advantage even though our team was 2nd.

Beforehand I made sure I had used my charged TMs on many of my spare Mewtwo to teach it Shadow Ball as that's still going to be useful against itself (Focus Blast) as well as the 4th gen pixie trio & Giratina under similar circumstances.

I may have to prepare 3 teams for Mewtwo alone, 2 of them when against focus blast and one with bite/crunch TTars or Houndooms.

What are some of the better counters for Mewtwo? I have a ton of Stardust but not necessarily a lot of Candy for each Pokemon to level them up. I think both my TTars have rock moves rather than dark, but I guess I can TM if need be.

Also, does Frenzy Plant make Meganium viable? Or is it just more of a participation trophy than anything? Thanks guys.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
Discord Leader

Here's the best counters for the thing. Of course, the charge moves backed by Mewtwo's power change a lot of these would-be counters and the increased +6250 HP this has doesn't help matters (18,750 HP as opposed to 12,500).

That said, the overall best go-tos are Mewtwo and Tyranitar. Mewtwo isn't weak to a single moveset and lasts a while, while Tyranitar only fears Focus Blast and packs a decent punch.

Additionally, weather is going to be your best friend. Stuff like Rain can boost the Bug-types and make Raikou / Zapdos / Kyogre pack a punch, Windy helps Rayquaza, Dragonite, and Salamence do some excellent damage, Clear boosts stuff like Moltres and Blast Burn Charizard, and Foggy (if you can afford it) boosts the aforementioned Tyranitar and Gengar as well as Houndoom and Banette. Other less lucrative options include Dragon Tail / Sky Attack Lugia and Bite / Crunch Gyarados.

And yes Frenzy Plant Meganium is just a participation trophy. It's roughly on par with regular Venusaur lol.

Last edited:

Here's the best counters for the thing. Of course, the charge moves backed by Mewtwo's power change a lot of these would-be counters and the increased +6250 HP this has doesn't help matters (18,750 HP as opposed to 12,500).

That said, the overall best go-tos are Mewtwo and Tyranitar. Mewtwo isn't weak to a single moveset and lasts a while, while Tyranitar only fears Focus Blast and packs a decent punch.

Additionally, weather is going to be your best friend. Stuff like Rain can boost the Bug-types and make Raikou / Zapdos / Kyogre pack a punch, Windy helps Rayquaza, Dragonite, and Salamence do some excellent damage, Clear boosts stuff like Moltres and Blast Burn Charizard, and Foggy (if you can afford it) boosts the aforementioned Tyranitar and Gengar as well as Houndoom and Banette. Other less lucrative options include Dragon Tail / Sky Attack Lugia and Bite / Crunch Gyarados.

And yes Frenzy Plant Meganium is just a participation trophy. It's roughly on par with regular Venusaur lol.
Thanks for the detailed response. Going to try participate in as many raids as I can this long weekend so I'll study this later today and try level up as many as I can. TTar, Gengar, Scizor, and Houndoom are probably my go-tos since I lack legendary Candy and prefer to save my Rare Candy for Mewtwo.

So m2 lost shadowball and it gained 3 new toys to play with. With its attack stat, I imagine he will still be able to use any of the moves to some use as a sort of bootleg fire/electric/ice attacker in the team should you need it, but I’m sure these are all still inferior to shadow ball in terms of neutral coverage and a generalist attacker. Also does anyone know what happened with psystrike?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 8)