Pokemon Scarlet & Violet - 18th Nov 2022! **OFFICIAL INFO ONLY**

It would be a bit funny if after all this argument it ends up terra is kinda underwhelming. Hard to believe itd happen but it would be funny.

I also find it hard to believe theyd make a move thats just "here, have some guaranteed stab for terra types you dont have stab for" and then still limit the types a pokemon can terrastalize. Maybe some exclusive to raids though.

Im more curious to see whats going to be the gmax of this gimmick. Special dual type?

KaenSoul

Shared:Power Little Knight
is a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
Community Leader
I feel like we don't know enough about Tera or SV as a whole to actually know how the meta could evolve and say if Tera is broken or not.
Like, the main use I see on it is just powering up already strong sweepers and wallbreakers to get pass their check, mostly with super stabs while also having a good tera type on each team member to adjust to the battle without a dedicated tera abuser like lugg that is only decent with tera.

This gets into leaks stuff, but...

the big leaker man confirmed that there are no special pokemon-specific Teralizations or effects
On one hand, thats good. On the other, tbh tera would be one of the gimmicks id be ok w favoritism if only bc the idea of changing a few mons to dual types would be pretty fun. Maybe we'll just get some mons w better stabs for some tera types distributed throught the gens lifespan

Also, is the event pikachu's crown really the "Flying crown" for teras? We haven't seen others with this, as far as I remember, and I think the baloons are referencing Pokemon Go's 5th anniversary Flying pikachu, which also learns fly.

Zetalz

Expect nothing, deliver less
is a Pre-Contributor
Also, is the event pikachu's crown really the "Flying crown" for teras? We haven't seen others with this, as far as I remember, and I think the baloons are referencing Pokemon Go's 5th anniversary Flying pikachu, which also learns fly.
yes, it is. cute references to old mons material seems to be a running thing with some tera crowns as evidenced by both it and the ghost one

If we go by the rule that those check/counters are by definition designated to stop a mon that otherwise could rampage through the rest of your team. Yes, I would instead of boosting an attack that, even after the boost, is stopped by the same check and or counter afterwards.
Would you, if you could better handle those checks/counters with other members of your team first? :smogthink: That's what I'm getting at. You could set your sweeper's Terra type to prepare for worst case scenarios. Or you could set your Terra type to benefit from super STAB which will have many more opportunities to be utilized.
I think it doesn't necessarily have a wrong answer, since you'll be thinking about the meta you're playing in and very specific threats you might face. But if there is another Pokemon available that can handle those threats, I'd expect someone to go with super-STAB most of the time.

Would you, if you could better handle those checks/counters with other members of your team first? :smogthink: That's what I'm getting at.
That's the point. You don't. You don't because the moment you get rid of said check/counter with a mon (specifically, a setup mon op af as most of them are) that isn't suposed to do so, you have already won. This is not like Hidden Power or having niche and less frecuent coverage moves that lets you put a hole in the opposing team using diverse type of mons; this is a mon that is already difficult to stop if it wasn't for a few checks it has ending that situation and running through them.

I'm not saying that you couldn't use tera in other ways, oc you can, and I'm not even saying that you shouldn't. I'm just stating that a majority of the teams, depending on how weak they are to certain threats, have 1/2 checks/pseudochecks to certain mons that, I repeat, are already difficult to stop and the only reason you are able to do so is because you have a type and knowledge advantage -you how what they do in order to win-. My question, again, is very simple, what will your team do when said mon, or mons, get obliterated or setup in the face by a mon that you are suposed to check but, unlike with hidden power or a random niche move that you can scout, now it is the one checking you.

What does your Heatran mean to a random teratype volc? Nothing. And tox? nothing. The rest of your mons arent even able to answer it after a QD, and now it has a new stab you dont have answer to in your back, because you dont even knew what that type was during the battle, so you didnt come to say "i better save this mon for later" at any point. And this is not a suposed Volc setting QD turn 1 and fighting a 1v6 at 100% health. No, this is a real scenario in which 2-3 of your mons are already dead and you think it cant setup because you still have that one counter that, oh, surprise, wasn't even a counter from the very beginning.

I think it doesn't necessarily have a wrong answer, since you'll be thinking about the meta you're playing in and very specific threats you might face. But if there is another Pokemon available that can handle those threats, I'd expect someone to go with super-STAB most of the time.
Which makes it even more dangerous.

We see the flying crown on a Drifloon in one of the trailers, so yeah.
It's a reference like how the ghost crown is the gen 1 "Ghost"

I suspect that there are dozens of cast aside crown sketches where they tried to have a surfboard for water and have the weird plant monster icon for grass

Would you, if you could better handle those checks/counters with other members of your team first? :smogthink: That's what I'm getting at. You could set your sweeper's Terra type to prepare for worst case scenarios. Or you could set your Terra type to benefit from super STAB which will have many more opportunities to be utilized.
I also kind of think that when the meta settles its like oh that's a Dragonite, if it goes tera it's almost certainly going to be X or Y. And hten you look at the other 5 members and go "those ones probably wont tera" or "those probably tera into that as a back up" because the meta picks trump all and become common outside of weirdos who go "ho ho, here is my POISON dragonite"

& I'm not even bothering to think about pokemon like Volcarona or Avalugg because yeah gee wonder what's going to happen this match when i see them in the team preview

Like if its a problem it probably more comes from the really predictable ones you can see a mile away because seeing it a mile away is too late. You're going to get hit by the bus. & I won't even deny that there can be problems in general. But the "unpredictability" aspect messing with team building just doesn't quite mesh with me, as someone who mostly sits on the sides for these conversations.

those first couple months probably a disaster though.

You're thinking WAY too recent, honestly. The Go event itself is a reference to the Flying Pikachu in Pokemon Yellow's intro(it also appears in Yellow's remake, Let's Go, which also predates the GO event, when Pikachu uses Floaty Fall). Most media implies that the various Fly Pikachu events that have been around since Gen I utilize balloons to use the move.

I want to emphasize that the leakers have provided enough math & detail to implement a highly accurate terastal mechanic in a simulator. I obviously don’t know the difficulty of making this happen myself, but I sure would play the hell out of it.

The only thing missing would be the interaction with certain abilities as far as I can tell.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Some types just feel they're built with some type-wide philosophy built in and teristal just tosses a bunch of that out the window. Steel-types don’t often get reliable recovery (mostly just Steel + some other type that gets roost), but now we’re about to have stuff like Dragonite be a Steel-type with Multiscale, Roost, and every other toy you could want lmao.
Hey, this also means we can finally have all the fast & fragile Ice-types as we want!

Zoroark Illusion shenanigans? (Does crown show up when disguised as something without crown?)
We'll have to see cause we have two examples for yes & no:
  • No: When Zoroark used a Z-Move it broke its Illusion before using the gimmick, so I imagine the same thing will happen here.
  • Yes: When Zoroark used Gigantamax it kept its disguise (however it cannot appear as a Gigantamax Pokemon).

That all said, Zoroark should be able to come out disguised as another Terastallized Pokemon via Illusion as it did with Mega Evo, the Tera Pokemon would just need to be the last Pokemon in your party.

You can use Tera Blast outside of it it'll just be Normal type, maybe even a bit weaker. Think Weather Ball but for Terastral
We don't know that. We just know it changes to the STAB Type if used by a Terastallized Pokemon.

As far as we know they're all in game. Flying Tera Pikachu is not event only; the only part of the event that's noted as unique is the fact it learns the move "Fly"
Which, now that we know about Tera Blast, feels kind of a letdown. Like, even if Tera Blast is lower Power than Fly by 10 or even 15 points, people would still probably prefer Tera Blast as you don't spend a turn in the air giving your opponent time to switch to something that'll resist it. They're trying to pull a nostalgia card but instead of an Ace its a Joker.

This gets into leaks stuff, but...

the big leaker man confirmed that there are no special pokemon-specific Teralizations or effects
If true that's a 180 on their previous mindset. Maybe Gigantamax didn't come out as they thought it would, as well as the Signature Z-Moves being at most niches, and started wondering if the "special/unique" forms of the Super Gimmick is needed.

I feel like we don't know enough about Tera or SV as a whole to actually know how the meta could evolve and say if Tera is broken or not.
I actually feel we know enough (aside from Tera Blast's Power), it's just that no one has been able to use it in practice. And unless Showdown wants to program it in, we won't know until the game is released and players can begin trying out combinations.

Wdym? The Gen 1 minisprite?
The sprites that represented your Pokemon in the party menu and PC Box:

You know, seeing them again, if they stylize these they could make for near Badge designs.

Dusk Mage Necrozma

formerly XenonHero126
The sprites that represented your Pokemon in the party menu and PC Box:

You know, seeing them again, if they stylize these they could make for near Badge designs.
Yeah I know, I was making a guess.
Also we’ve got blatant favoritism with the Pokemon represented in gen 2, with others being like “Skarmory, you’re a generic bird. Slugma, you’re a Grimer.”
8 gyms + 1 for the Elite Four + 1 for the Champion + 1 for the postgame boss

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)