SPOILERS! Pokemon Ultra Sun and Ultra Moon News & Discussion MK2 **Official Media Only**

My favorite Pokémon game experiences are the ones that entailed me knowing nothing about the games. Now that I’m older it doesn’t matter as much since I barely play games at all ever but being a kid & discovering Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, Orre, & Sinnoh was amazing.

That is... so much of a sweeping statement, completely ignoring circumstances, how we as human beings work and a huge list of other factors to the extent I'm really not sure where to start. But, hey, if you think the first viewing experience of Citizen Kane isn't effected at all by knowing who or what Rosebud is; you do you.
Funny you mention that, someone had to tell me a lot about that exact movie to get me to watch it.

FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

Dude, seriously spoilers are not a big deal, the execution is the most important part of the medium.

Funny you mention that, someone had to tell me a lot about that exact movie to get me to watch it.

FUCKING MASTERPIECE.

Dude, seriously spoilers are not a big deal, the execution is the most important part of the medium.
Eh, to me there’s two kinds of spoilers: Major earthshattering ones like Kylo Ren kills his dad, Han Solo and everything else.

And after so many years of knowing everything about a Pokemon game that is coming out just because it came out in Japan first... I actually like the idea of playing through a story where I don’t know what’s coming next. I mostly did that with Y and it felt really refreshing (despite the flaws and the leveling issue... the battle with Diantha was all the better because I had 0 idea what she would use) but couldn’t get away with it with Sun...

Hopefully I can with Ultra Sun, even though a large part of the story will be the same/similar to Sun.

Going back to the Noivern thing for a second, what if it's a battle facility (I don't know if Battle Agency will be the only one, or maybe Battle Agency isn't just 3v3 as we were told last week) and like with SM, you can partner up with some NPCs to tackle double battles, with Hau being one of them? Or maybe, like how we can get an under-leveled Salamence, Hau SOS'ed himself a nice Noivern at level 10.

Apparently, the 10/11 new update sign in the Japanese official website got removed. Probably a mistake or even Nintendo expected a leak like SM does?

Apparently, the 10/11 new update sign in the Japanese official website got removed. Probably a mistake or even Nintendo expected a leak like SM does?
They probably expect a Coro Coro leak around that time, I'm guessing. That, or they'll revert to the usual Thursday 10pm slot and just release new keywords for the usual Friday 2pm slot.

leaks sure as hell didn't make Nintendo stop doing trailers up to release so I'm not sure why an expected leak would cancel it
people will still watch

Review copies are currently being distributed boys.
Here's a video showcasing the differences between the first hour of SM and USUM. I'd assume this counts as official media as Nintendo most likely authorised the making of the vid.

Really digging the vibrancy and saturation of the colours :o
This is not to be posted here. Only official things here. There's a thread for spoilers.

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
While it is certainly the journey and not the destination, the feelings you have while on the "journey" would differ and you can't change your first experience.

Not Knowing Spoilers: Ignorance is bliss. When you don't know spoilers you're more likely paying attention to the story, wanting to see how each character's own story and role plays out and where the overall story is going. Plot twists and big reveals you didn't see coming have more of an effect on your suspension of disbelief; if they're good it pulls into the story and world of the game more.
Everyone has their own example, but I think the one maybe most of us could relate to is when we were kids playing Red or Blue and discovering the Champion is our rival! Or how about in Gold & Silver, after beating all the Gyms you get access to Mt. Silver, you climb this mountain not knowing what'll be on top... and finding your character from Red & Blue standing their.

Knowing Spoilers: Obviously what and how many spoilers you know will have a lesser or greater effect on how you proceed in the game. No matter what, if you know at least one major spoiler, while you're enjoying the game, in the back of your mind you're creating a sense of tension for yourself. You know this big thing is coming up but when and where? The attention you're putting into the story is not only to know what's going on but maybe looking for clues and cues leading up to the spoiler. The longer and longer the spoiler(s) you know doesn't happen the more tension you build up into yourself. And then, finally, the spoiler moment has come! Instead of complete awestruck like those who didn't know the spoiler will have, you're both somewhat awestruck and also maybe analyzing if the spoiler and what lead up to it was worth the tension/hype you put into it.
Using an "official spoiler" as an example, we all knew Red & Blue were going to show up at the Battle Tree. Post game comes and we're told about the Battle Tree and we excitedly trek our way their (or do some Looker Missions first). After getting through new areas filled with higher level Pokemon and trainers, we finally reach the moment! We enter the Battle Tree area and there they are, Red & Blue! And they challenge you to a battle... BUT you can only battle one of them. Right there is probably when you start analyzing what happened. I mean, it's still exciting, but maybe you were expecting to battle both one after another or have a Tag Battle with Hau as your partner. Did you feel disappointed? Or did it maybe make your decision who the battle feel all the more important as it was the twist you didn't see coming (meanwhile those who somehow remain unspoiled had the entire encounter feel special so what they felt when they made the decision part might not have felt that major).

Misinformed Spoiler: Before I end this philosophizing, my own personal experience made me realize that thinking you know an upcoming spoiler but it being completely different than what you expect creates a mixed feeling of the above. You at first have the tension building of knowing a spoiler... but when the spoiler comes and it's not what you heard you may be more shocked than you would be had you not known. As I explained in my example, I thought Lusamine would turn out to be an Ultra Beast and then while approaching that point is just going to summon a super UB01. Okay, she then sends out a Nihilego... it's coming down toward her?... AND SHE FUSES WITH IT?!
Creating a hypothetical example, we all knew the B2W2 spoiler of Ghetsis attacking the player with Kyurem. But what if the spoiler was off? The moment comes, as the screenshot showed Kyurem surrounds the player with icicles... Ghetsis tells the player he wants them to witness firsthand the freezing of Alola... and then tells Kyurem to launch the icicles across Unova at locations important to the player (our house, our rival's house, Aspertia Gym, the Professor's lab, original player's house, Bianca's and Cheren's houses, the Plasma Safehouse, etc.). Then we'd get the cinematic of the icicles launching and practically destroying our family and friends homes with no idea if anyone was inside or if they're safe.
Question is, is this a genuine awestruck feeling of the scene that took place or a shocked feeling you were wrong and now trying to wrap your head around what actually happened.

The thing about Citizen Kane is it's more the new and unique style of cinematography that's enhances the scenes making the story and its symbolism feel stronger. But with games I feel there's a difference, there's a more sense of immersion and, even if show in an interesting way, it's the plot twists and reveals themselves that's makes those moments feel stronger (especially in how they effect player and their goals). Knowing the story to Citizen Kane doesn't change how the amazing cinematography portrays scenes. Knowing a major spoiler to a video game breaks your immersion and has you looking at things from a slightly different perspective which can change the feelings you have for the game, at least while first playing through it.

That's the beauty of a good fucking movie, even if they tell you word for word the script nothing matches the screenplay.

Take Stella glow, I can spoil you chapter 6-8 the wildest ride of the year this game came, and it will still make you feel sorry for the characters and the gameplay changes so fucking wildly you literally feel the despair by changes in how you use the mechanics, they made the Luminous Arc "Fuck you player" moment into an artform, if you ever played a game by this publisher you knew it is coming but this game subverts all expectatives and still plays it straight.

Not gonna spoil since most won't ever play the game or if they ever do I don't want them cursing my name, even as someone who knew it was coming it still played me like an emotional fiddle.

Seriously, people complain too much about spoilers, when you stop to think a bit, if the art piece is not strong enough to survive the twist being revealed then it wasn't that well crafted.

On Citizen Kane Scenario, Predator is another movie that shouldn't pass this test but it's still so tightly crafted it stays entertaining even with everything spoiled.

On Pokémon, the champion theme for SM is so underwhelming and pandering it killed all hype, without spoilers this would have literally made me drop my game in despair, knowing this shit piece of music was coming made me lower the volume and play something else in the background. I wouldn't have been prepared without spoilers for that shitfest without spoilers, and I'm grateful.

That's the beauty of a good fucking movie, even if they tell you word for word the script nothing matches the screenplay.

Take Stella glow, I can spoil you chapter 6-8 the wildest ride of the year this game came, and it will still make you feel sorry for the characters and the gameplay changes so fucking wildly you literally feel the despair by changes in how you use the mechanics, they made the Luminous Arc "Fuck you player" moment into an artform, if you ever played a game by this publisher you knew it is coming but this game subverts all expectatives and still plays it straight.

Not gonna spoil since most won't ever play the game or if they ever do I don't want them cursing my name, even as someone who knew it was coming it still played me like an emotional fiddle.

Seriously, people complain too much about spoilers, when you stop to think a bit, if the art piece is not strong enough to survive the twist being revealed then it wasn't that well crafted.

On Citizen Kane Scenario, Predator is another movie that shouldn't pass this test but it's still so tightly crafted it stays entertaining even with everything spoiled.

On Pokémon, the champion theme for SM is so underwhelming and pandering it killed all hype, without spoilers this would have literally made me drop my game in despair, knowing this shit piece of music was coming made me lower the volume and play something else in the background. I wouldn't have been prepared without spoilers for that shitfest without spoilers, and I'm grateful.
Maybe it’s possible to just respect that other people dislike spoilers & spoilers can have their own space without us having an argument on something that obviously isn’t debatable.

Yeah that's great and all, But please no that you are in the minority here. I love spoilers a ton, heck im plastering stuff on forums as we speak, but I also know that spoilers are called spoilers for a reason. Because they "spoil" things. You can't just kick everyone else to the curb just because you and a few others feel like it. that's like everyone agreeing to get some good pizza but then you come along and put pinapples all over it just because.

I'm playing Stella Glow, thank you for not spoiling xD

I don't like story spoilers in general because I like to experience the story first-handed. I don't want to be expecting, and I want to see how the story will affect me in the first time. When I do play games again, I'm obviously aware of everything, but that means I can focus on other things. A good story keeps being good with or without spoilers, but spoiling plot twists takes away from them. I remember someone telling me Snape killed Dumbledore on the day of the release, and even though I still cried reading it, I knew beforehand Draco wasn't going to do it, and that took away a little from the moment.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I won't disagree that people may take spoilers too seriously (everyone does know I was joking with my "must not look as spoilers" post, right? Like I was debating to put up an image/gif of the Spongebob "I don't need it" but thought it didn't quite fit considering how that ended)

BUT I can't fully agree with the "it's not well crafted if plot twist is revealed". A surprising plot twist/reveal can really give first time players a heavy, physical feeling; like someone just punched them. Certainly the story has to be able to stand on its own even if you know the plot twist, but not knowing it I do believe generates a stronger response and it's a feeling that you only get to experience one time. Like for a sad moment, knowing the spoiler/repeat watched may make you tear up, but first time not knowing its coming may make you cry. Personal Example: Mother 3's final fight. Granted, I was watching a playthrough, but the emotional weight of that final fight had me crying that I had to pause the video to wiped my tears because it was blurring my vision. Now I can watch it again and get that sad feeling, but I probably won't burst out crying.

Question: WITHOUT the cinematography, would Citizen Kane be the acclaimed masterpiece that it is? No, no it wouldn't. The cinematography was a needed tool to evoke the emotional response. And so to are plot twists/reveals upon a first, unspoiled go-through: tools to envoke a strong feeling. A one-time tool, sure, but a tool nonetheless and it shouldn't be just swept aside if knowing it doesn't make the scene quite that impactful.

Yeah that's great and all, But please no that you are in the minority here. I love spoilers a ton, heck im plastering stuff on forums as we speak, but I also know that spoilers are called spoilers for a reason. Because they "spoil" things. You can't just kick everyone else to the curb just because you and a few others feel like it. that's like everyone agreeing to get some good pizza but then you come along and put pinapples all over it just because.
Have I spoiled anything? I actually respect other game experiences, I merely asked why it is a big deal for many when in reality spoilers don't affect the product in the slightest yet people have an overblown reaction to it.
I'm playing Stella Glow, thank you for not spoiling xD

I don't like story spoilers in general because I like to experience the story first-handed. I don't want to be expecting, and I want to see how the story will affect me in the first time. When I do play games again, I'm obviously aware of everything, but that means I can focus on other things. A good story keeps being good with or without spoilers, but spoiling plot twists takes away from them. I remember someone telling me Snape killed Dumbledore on the day of the release, and even though I still cried reading it, I knew beforehand Draco wasn't going to do it, and that took away a little from the moment.
You are in for a treat, it's such an underrated game yet it delivers more than the Air Tonelico and the Luminous Arc series combined, the true magnus opus of Imagepoch. The japanese VA outdid themselves massively.

I won't disagree that people may take spoilers too seriously (everyone does know I was joking with my "must not look as spoilers" post, right? Like I was debating to put up an image/gif of the Spongebob "I don't need it" but thought it didn't quite fit considering how that ended)

BUT I can't fully agree with the "it's not well crafted if plot twist is revealed". A surprising plot twist/reveal can really give first time players a heavy, physical feeling; like someone just punched them. Certainly the story has to be able to stand on its own even if you know the plot twist, but not knowing it I do believe generates a stronger response and it's a feeling that you only get to experience one time. Like for a sad moment, knowing the spoiler/repeat watched may make you tear up, but first time not knowing its coming may make you cry. Personal Example: Mother 3's final fight. Granted, I was watching a playthrough, but the emotional weight of that final fight had me crying that I had to pause the video to wiped my tears because it was blurring my vision. Now I can watch it again and get that sad feeling, but I probably won't burst out crying.

Question: WITHOUT the cinematography, would Citizen Kane be the acclaimed masterpiece that it is? No, no it wouldn't. The cinematography was a needed tool to evoke the emotional response. And so to are plot twists/reveals upon a first, unspoiled go-through: tools to envoke a strong feeling. A one-time tool, sure, but a tool nonetheless and it shouldn't be just swept aside if knowing it doesn't make the scene quite that impactful.
Again I bring Predator. That movie didn't have the right to be that good and yet the opening sequence that has nothing to do with the monster is still a cinematographic gem with all the action and choreographed action scenes shoot that let you tell immediately were the entire cast is and sets the tone for almost the entire movie. Exacution matters quite a lot.

I should warn many we are in ground zero for the leaks, music, dex and the entire dialogue is out already, so I'll warn you all anti spoiler kindred, someone will spoil you and it won't be me, lurk with caution.

I dunno, the past year I've somehow managed to be very lucky in not having a lot of games spoiled to me -- including games that were out in another country long before its localisation happened, like Danganronpa V3. If you wanna avoid spoilers and leaks, it's not terribly hard.

I also feel this conversation has really run its course and reached a point where it's just pointless semantics now. We -were- discussing an upcoming Pokémon game or something on this thread, right?

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
New Pokemon stuff appearing on my Youtube, but nothing spoiler. Mainly just music rips via Pokeli and I think they know not to put anything spoiler in the thumbnail. At most they just spoiled each villain team boss got their own theme, which while expected is still nice to know they just didn't give them the TR theme or have all the bosses share one theme.

Though that does make me wonder. I haven't listened to them, and I know it's probably odd to wonder about something you learned in a spoiler, but if they did remix them (though I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their theme from their generation of games) would it just be their theme or would they also throw in a few parts of the grunts theme since there's no other team grunts appearing. Also curious what they did for Giovanni, he never had his own original theme.

New Pokemon stuff appearing on my Youtube, but nothing spoiler. Mainly just music rips via Pokeli and I think they know not to put anything spoiler in the thumbnail. At most they just spoiled each villain team boss got their own theme, which while expected is still nice to know they just didn't give them the TR theme or have all the bosses share one theme.

Though that does make me wonder. I haven't listened to them, and I know it's probably odd to wonder about something you learned in a spoiler, but if they did remix them (though I wouldn't be surprised if they just took their theme from their generation of games) would it just be their theme or would they also throw in a few parts of the grunts theme since there's no other team grunts appearing. Also curious what they did for Giovanni, he never had his own original theme.
Giovanni is interesting, has varying tempo and its a mix of 4 songs following mainly the HGSS version of vs TR grunt.

It's still its own thing though.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
It starts GSC rocker theme, builds momentum as an upgraded HGSS, gives you a mix of Silph and underground at 47 seconds, then follows up with the HGSS motiff again with a now standard tempo.
Silph Co. and Goldenrod City? Alright, I was thinking Gym Leader and city theme used for Viridian City (themes important to Giovanni and not Team Rocket in general) but I guess those work too.

Free Master Ball for those who register and use Game Sync between November 17, 2017, and January 30, 2018.

New season of Global Missions has also been announced, though it might not be appropriate to post a new thread with the influx of leaks and datamine information these few days.
Yeah! Now we'll have two of the Poke Ball you'll never use because it's too valuable!

BTW, first Global Mission is a "Catch Pokemon!" one, but you're allowed to join it as soon as you have access to Festival Plaza so this time we might actually get to 10 million if everyone remembers to join!

Serebii said:
If everyone succeeds then a gift of 2,000 Festival Coins will be given to all players. If it's not achieved, then 1,000 Festival Coins will be given to all players. Rewards are doubled for players with a Global Link Account.
Geez, they really pumped up the amount of FC you get. Wonder if that's any indication of the amount of new clothes (and version exclusive clothes) they put in.

In fact, the Global Mission schedule up to June is up:

November 17th-28th: Catch Pokemon!
December 12th-27th: Have Fun Mantine Surfing!
January 9th - 23rd: Win at the Battle Agency
February 6th - 20th: Harvest Poké Beans!
March 6th - 20th: Trade Pokémon at the GTS
April 3rd - 17th: Hatch a lot of Eggs
May 1st - 15th: Get BP at the Battle Tree
June 5th - 19th: Play in Festival Plaza
Catch Pokemon!: Should be easy if everyone registers as soon as possible.
Have Fun Mantine Surfing: Probably accumulate a certain number of points
Win at the Battle Agency: Number of wins or points accumulated?
Harvest Poké Beans: By February, everyone should have maxed out their Poké Pelago levels, so this should be easy.
Trade Pokémon at the GTS: Would be better if this were earlier when everyone wants to trade for version exclusives, but the giveaways on Smogon should help this too.
Hatch a lot of Eggs: Easy.
Get BP at the Battle Tree: Easy.
Play in Festival Plaza: I lost interest in Festival Plaza pretty early on, so this might be a bit tougher to finish.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)