Pokemon VGC 2010 DATES / rules announced for the US!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know formes can be used in colosseum since I used skymin on my friend (just to see if it worked since he had pearl). So I'm saying using alternate formes won't be a problem.

@drug_duck: I expect it to be of at least more use then 2009. Surf Teams will probably be using him due to Dry Skin, and hitting with Physical attacks is always nice. Low Kick can do some major damage (idk if it OHKO or not) to Dialga and Snorlax. As for Groudon, well, Groudon screws up everything O.O Earthquake doesn't hit as hard in 3rd Gen though, and Kyogre got a boost to Water Spout from 3rd Gen.

As for the Giratina-O arguement, I do remember using it on Local Wireless against my friend 6 months ago. It was Platinum vs. Platinum.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Regarding the Giratina-O issue
Code:
http://www.pokemon.co.jp/special/wcs0910/game/
One of the pictures show Giratina-O & Rotom-F vs Mewtwo and Rayquaza

EDIT: TDS, the formes can be used against Diamond/Pearl. I've tested this with Plat vs Diamond (haven't tried hgss)

My brother and I tested this. His Pearl VS My Platinum. Giratina and Shaymin were both immune to EQ in their alternate forms, even then.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Has anyone seen an effective use of Me First Mewtwo? I've come up against several now, and they all pretty much suck. :/ They usually target a surfing pokemon and do little damage to me, but end up KOing their partner. :/

@drug_duck: I expect it to be of at least more use then 2009. Surf Teams will probably be using him due to Dry Skin, and hitting with Physical attacks is always nice. Low Kick can do some major damage (idk if it OHKO or not) to Dialga and Snorlax. As for Groudon, well, Groudon screws up everything O.O Earthquake doesn't hit as hard in 3rd Gen though, and Kyogre got a boost to Water Spout from 3rd Gen.
Yeah, Groudon screws up everything and that is basically my argument, it takes a pitiful amount of damage from Waterspout in the sun carrying that anti water berry and it can even sit out that one turn of fakeout. Zapdos Discharge + Groudon EQ still kill Kyogre, factoring in the power drops (lol).
There'll probably be much more dragons running around than last year so spamming Surfs won't be a prospect too daunting IMO (also Giratina walls Toxicroak completely).
Well, your argument is valid as is mine, nobody thought that Tsuji would make it with a UU lead pair (Toxicroak and Empoleon didn't see that much use either in Europe or the U.S.), yet he did. The thing is that other types than water also dispose of reasonable damage output, namely Kyogres Thunder, Groudon's EQ, Discharge, random Dragon moves... you get the figure.

mattj:
Don't know if you read my argument on Mewtwo earlier but yeah, Me First is one of the moves that actually differentiates it from Azelf. I didn't think of Me First to be honest but the problems that come with the moves have already been stated by you - way too often you MF a multi target move which damages your partner. In addition I cannot really think of a situation this could be funny in other than MFing Giratina's Shadow Force :D

I once had my Toxicroak Me-First a Sheer Cold back at a Kyogre. :naughty:

It's a very, very situational move though. 99% of the time you're just better off using a good move. Plus it's only really good for one use, as people will get wary of it. It gets screwed over by trick room too. And as for Mewtwo, he suffers from 4-slot-syndrome bad enough as it is so I'd just use a decent move.

However, they may mod the PBR disk used at the event to allow them; in this year's VGC, the game was modded to allow custom match titles (instead of, for example, Waterfall Colosseum / Wireless Battle, they could make it say Waterfall Colosseum / World Championships 2009 Final), and the music was changed (the PBR final battle theme was played; in the Japanese finals, I believe they used a remix of Cyrus' battle theme). Although it's unlikely, there's a chance they will do the same for alternate forms. After all, if Deoxys can have alternate forms normally, it must be possible for them to add forms to others...

If anything, they probably just can't be bothered to make models and animations for pokémon just for the tournament, and that might not even get used.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
They already have the 3D model for Giratina-O (and Shaymin-S), as seen in Pokemon Battrio. All they need to do is add in a few animations to it (if they don't have it already) and they're pretty much done. I dunno about the Rotoms though

Well, I'm home for most of this week due to fall break, so my number one goal is making a beta VGC team just to use against people on PBR, in order to see what's popular.

The current team is going to be Palkia/Latias/Dialga/Filler, just because Palkia and Dialga are the only legendaries I could realistically get in a week. The filler will probably be a Steel type with a focus on Special Defense, so either Bronzong, Registeel, or Empoleon.

I haven't found any either, I must've spent an hour straight looking for them lol, but nothing. I haven't even seen them in the Global Terminal, it sucks.
I've found quite a few actually- you just have to know what to look for. The GTS video thing is really very good if you search the right things.

Best video I've found so far I would say is 85-99789-57517. Not only does it have an Octillery named Oswald, but it also has enough twists to challenge Death Note. :P

Not sure if it's an actual match or a practise one, though.

I've found quite a few actually- you just have to know what to look for. The GTS video thing is really very good if you search the right things.

Best video I've found so far I would say is 85-99789-57517. Not only does it have an Octillery named Oswald, but it also has enough twists to challenge Death Note. :P

Not sure if it's an actual match or a practise one, though.
lol, Oswald? Nice :P I'll check it out, thanks. I found one this morning too, a really good one actually. It had a Follow Me Clefable with a Calm Mind Mewtwo, the two actually worked out really well together.

Just to point out... has anyone noticed the outbreak of Hariyamas? They're in almost all TR teams now :O

Tyler

No Longer Live
won the 1st Smogon VGC Tournament
49-54312-74595
45-27179-10831
32-02800-91519
66-52221-98946
92-08553-64074
95-10978-30295
58-25016-15070
82-75163-28102
40-65423-85795
34-16068-09721
83-49091-99518

Here are some VGC 2010 battles/practice. Some of these battles might be the same but from different sides so if you see one just let me know and ill take it off the list.

EDIT! I will be uploading all these to youtube so if you wait a couple hours from 4:24 est 11/23/09 it will be up and ill link it here.

mattj

blatant Nintendo fanboy
Don't wanna sound like an idiot but what do i use to watch those?
Only Works with Platinum (or I guess HG/SS too! xD)

Go to the GTS, go up the "pink" (IIRC) teleport tile, look for the big machine in the middle of the room. Select "Watch Other People's Videos" (IIRC) and put one of those numbers in.

(codes...)
Here are some VGC 2010 battles/practice. Some of these battles might be the same but from different sides so if you see one just let me know and ill take it off the list.
Meant to post yesterday Tyler, sorry, haha. Thanks a lot for the list, I've watched almost all of them, still have 3 more left to watch, so I'll do that now, seeing as nobody is online or anything. Thanks again for the list!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)