Prototype/Development Diamond & Pearl Assets Leak

I'd recommend y'all hit up the discord under pokemon-casual - pkmn-games because there are live updates happening right now. Just like piplup, the other kanto starters were used as a base for the sinnoh starters.

So seems like they had the idea to have the menu on the bottom screen just like HGSS at one point? Bit of a shame to lose that.

Piplup having Squirtle as a base makes sense withw what we've seen in the Gen 2 & I think 3 protos. Guessing they still do this when starting out even today

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Hard to make out, but the poked sported a different design. Clicking it does nothing. Also the bottom screen seems to be another way to access stuff like your bag, pokemon, or trainer card.
Screen Shot 2020-07-25 at 3.36.42 PM.png

final design
726px-DP_Pokédex.png
If I'm seeing it right, the Dex icon shows it closed with the right side (and its green button) pointing downwards. The green button is surrounded by red casing instead of black, the hinge & back of creen was white instead of red.

But this just made me realize a whole other side of designs we don't see. Sure, we talk about the beta appearance of Pokemon and characters, but Item also have to go through a design phase (and rarely do we even see some item's official artwork). :blobthinking:

UltiMario

Out of Obscurity
is a Pokemon Researcher
I checked out a version from the repo from about 7 months before release to see how skill_intp.c looked compared to current. It's definitely much shorter for one, mostly due to missing many moves (such as U-Turn) but you can see some things going on there. Backtracking on my old discoveries, the signs that GF was aware of the Pursuit glitch are gone, but the potential signs that they were aware of Mimic glitch seem to be there. There's probably quite a lot different from these old builds, I'm closely watching the people that are putting in the effort to compile them.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
It is time: we have Beta Designs!!!!

Video with all of them. I'll break them down in this post for those who don't want to watch it.

It also changes color, presumably with the plates already being in mind: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/235462622105829376/736775406421803089/1595731018118.webm

Last edited:

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
So apparently "Giratina" is actually a totally different, scrapped Pokemon named something like "Kimairan" I beleive?

Might be a pun on Chimera, so maybe this thing actually led to Silvally down the line. It certainly isn't Giratina at least!

Here's it's name and backsprite too

Since the new old builds have been built, I'll collect the base stats of the March build mons here.
MonStatsNotes
Munchlax​
140/90/45/45/90/10​
(-20 from Snorlax)​
#387 Munchlax: 140/90/45/45/90/10 (-20 from Snorlax)
#388 Bonsly: 50/80/95/10/45/10 (-20 from Sudowoodo)
#389 Mime Jr.: 20/25/45/80/100/70 (-20 from Mr. Mime)
#390 Weavile: 75/115/75/55/95/135 (+20 from Sneasel)
#391 Lucario: 65/125/85/55/55/85 (Unique)
#392 Mantyke: 45/20/50/60/120/50 (-20 from Mantine)
#393 Buizel: 75/85/45/85/45/105 (Unique?)
#394 Chatot: 60/85/42/85/42/91 (Murkrow stats, Flying/Normal)
#395 Buneary: 55/60/60/45/45/95 (unique?)
#396 Roserade: 20/80/65/120/100/85 (-30 HP/+20 Roselia?)
#397 Tangrowth: 85/75/135/120/60/80 (+20 Tangela)
#398 Dusknoir: 60/90/140/80/140/45 (+10 defences/+20 Dusclops)
#399 Mamoswine: 120/120/100/80/80/60 (+10 Speed/+20 Piloswine)
#400 Froslass (Glalie copypaste)
#401 Glameow (Persian copypaste)
#402 Turtwig (Bulbasaur copypaste, Grass/Poison to boot)
#403 Chimchar (Chamander copypaste)
#404 Piplup (Squirtle copypaste)
#405 Budew: 45/40/25/80/60/45 (-5 HP/-20 Roselia, same learnset)
#406 Starly: 40/55/30/30/30/85 (Taillow copypaste)
#407 Electivire (Raichu copypaste)

So apparently "Giratina" is actually a totally different, scrapped Pokemon named something like "Kimairan" I beleive?

Might be a pun on Chimera, so maybe this thing actually led to Silvally down the line. It certainly isn't Giratina at least!

Here's it's name and backsprite too

You guys see what I see?
1200px-773Silvally.png

Would make sense too, with the whole RKS system. Always found it weird that such a pokemon would be smack dab in alola, 3 gens later.

To be perfectly honest beyond general shape I dont see it. And name, I suppose.

honestly reminds me more of the beast trio?
The tufts on its feet, the tail shape, the weird things near its neck (on silvally on its the back of his neck), the wing on its head...

Obviously Silvally had gone through .any, many changes since then, bjt i cant imagine these are lure coincidence when a chimera pokémon makes direct reference to gen 4 stuff and this guy appears.

breh

強いだね
...Which legendary beast is Chimairan using as its base? The way its feet are posed is oddly familiar. I want to say it's Raikou, but maybe Entei?

And fuck, so many of those beta designs are silly. My favorites are Probopass and Regigigas; regigigas is pretty much the monkey puppet reaction image but a sprite

breh

強いだね
Pokedex files, starting with the oldest version, 3-23-2006. Seems like the previous file was from this version. These have two versions; Diamond's comes first and Pearl's comes second.

for my convenience, I'll just use "s" to denote a small phrasing difference and "r" for a larger rephrasing difference; for my amusement, "t" is for fixed typos. Conveniently, these have names attached to them, so there is no ambiguity as to what each Pokemon is... kind of. If I just write D or P, the entry is same as final.

Munchlax: D-s / P

Bonsly: When the amount of water in its body gets too high, it gets weaker, so it releases water from its eyes to regulate itself. / Likes dry places. It sits totally still in sunny windowsills, much like a bonsai.

Mime Jr.: D-t / P

Weavile: Inhabits cold regions. They move in families of three or four and are extremely territorial. / Lives in groups of around 4. Using its sharp claws, it scratches unique patterns into things like trees and boulders.

Lucario: D-r / Fights using its sharp fangs and spikes. It can use its opponent's aura to read its thoughts and movements.

Mantyke: A docile Pokemon. If it spots people swimming in the seas, it gets close and swims with them. / Lives in warm seas. They migrate through large territories, some with radii as large as 100 kilometers. // apparently has elements of Phione.

Buizel: It inflates the swim bladder around its neck and floats with its head sticking out from the water. Usually lives on land. / P

Chatot: A strange Pokemon that lives deep in the jungle. It mimics sounds it has heard with its cries. / A strange Pokemon that mimics its opponent's cry while waving its tail like a metronome.

Buneary: Buneary D-s / An extremely cautious Pokemon. It perks up its ears in the direction of sounds in order to scout its surroundings. // "Mimit"; bears elements of both Buneary / Lopunny and is closer to Buneary. "Mimitto" = mimi (ear) + rabbit; Compare final Mimiroru / Mimiroppu

Roserade: It conceals toxic thorns that exist in various places on its body. It draws in its target with Sweet Scent. / It releases a scent that relaxes one's emotions from the tips of both of its arms. Smelling it too much results in headaches. // "Rosemask"

Tangrowth: If its vines are cut off, they grow right back. It is said that nobody has seen what lies inside, beyond the vines. / Its arms are made of bound vines and it can extend and contract them at will. Inhabits primordial, mossy forests.

Dusknoir: Its flexible, rubber-like body can absorb any attack, no matter how strong. / Using the dish on its head, it receives signals and moves around almost as if controlled. // "Madorohmu"; Duskull and Dusknoir are corruptions of verbs and this one is too - madoromu means to doze off. The D entry is very, very similar to the beta larvitar entry from GS. Make of this what you will, lol. Reference to flexibility is retained in Pt as well.

Mamoswine: Lives in very cold regions. When the Ice Age ended and it became warmer, their numbers shrank. / The group's leader is said to be decided based on tusk size. Females have smaller tusks.

Froslass: Exhibits activity during nights where snow piles up. Emits a -50 C chill from its mouth and freezes its target. / As it emits a -50 C chill, the horns on its head get longer and longer. Its body is hollow and has nothing inside. // This one is questionably a "name" and moreso a placeholder, literally "Yukionna"

Glameow: It is capricious and hard to handle. It approaches in a friendly manner and then suddenly scratches with its sharp claws. / P // "Rizumii"; "Rhythmy"? wtf is this supposed to mean

Turtwig: D-st / P-s / "Naegame" from "nae" (seedling) and kame (turtle); compare final "Naetoru"

Chimchar: D-s / P / "Hinokozaru"; compare final "Hikozaru"

Piplup: D-s / P-t / "Umiouji" from "umi" (sea) and "ouji" (prince)

Budew: During winter, it closes its bud and bears the cold, perfectly still. When spring comes around, its bud opens. Lives around clear ponds. It is overjoyed when its legs are dipped into clear water. // GF was keen on adding references to pollen. "Tsubomii"; compare final slightly more corrupted "Subomii"

Starly: Lives in large flocks. They gather on roofs and trees by roads and make noisy, annoying cries. / Usually live in flocks, but tend to stand out when they are alone. An omnivore that will eat anything. // Placeholder-y "Muku"

Electivire: Makes electricity with [special] organs. It attacks by releasing a 20,000 volt current from its two tails. / It has organs that make electricity through chemical reactions. It is constantly releasing electricity from the horns on its head. // "Elekinga"; probably has elements of "king" but I'm not sure entirely where this comes from

Pokemon category names all stayed the same.

breh

強いだね
People on discord suggested that Chimairan also has traits of Landorus-T, which should have been obvious in hindsight.

C2H4 on discord gave a list of move changes, posting translations; proto translated > final english

Hammer Punch > Hammer Arm
Vengeance > Metal Burst [very similar name to final Retaliate and would be written with the same kanji if moves were written in kanji]
Charge Attack > Payback [this one doesn't translate well linearly, but like charge up / accumulate energy then attack... for all I know this was a charge move ala Sky Attack or Freeze Shock]
Shut Out > Embargo
Imprint > Psycho Shift [like a psychological imprint]
Heal Block (transliteration of English) > Heal Block (Japanese)
Heat Attack > Flare Blitz [lol]
Poison Hand > Poison Jab
Scissor Claw > X-Scissor
Dragon Tail > Dragon Rush [neat]
Stone Power > Power Gem
Bio Ball > Energy Ball
Focus Tackle > Brave Bird
Giga Crash > Giga Impact
Nasty Plot > Nasty Plot [phrasing difference]
Avalanche Strike > Avalanche
Fang moves "Fang" written in katakana in final
Flash Bomb > Mirror Shot [literally "Stun Grenade"]

Beta Darkai Poster.png

Someone pointed out on Twitter that beta Darkrai is in the Japanese Movie poster.

The logo(but not the poster itself since the final version of Darkrai is on it) was probably made really early on in development, since most Pokemon media is made and/or planned concurrently with each other. I made this image for an easy comparison.

Last edited:
I love beta Gible line!
I agree the Gible line looks very cool!
And I want add this picture next to DrPumpkinz
1595769763615.png
1595769807307.png

Togetic being my favourite Pokemon, it is interesting to see what the beta of its evolution looks like. Pretty nice as well and perhaps it would have looked cooler than Togekiss, but I have seen better fan made evolutions, though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)