PSA HMRC tax relief for UK employees who have been working from home due to Covid restrictions

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
Go here

10-15mins of admin for potentially £100+ of rebate. You can backdate your claim to 16-Mar-20 i.e. when lockdown began and claim £6/week (£4/week for the first 3 weeks of lockdown as it started during tax year 2019/20).
  1. Scroll to "check if you can claim"
  2. Answer "yes" for claiming relief on WFH (for typical employees)
  3. Answer "no" for self assessment (assuming that you're not self-employed nor complete a self-assessment for any other reason)
  4. Answer "no, none of my expenses" (or whatever is true)
  5. Answer "yes", then you need to create a Government Gateway account and login. Note that if you don't currently have an account, it's very useful to create one for future HMRC admin
Once logged in, select all relevant tax years, then you'll be prompted to enter the date from when you started working from home. HMRC will subsequently send you a cheque and/or adjust your tax code to reduce future PAYE. Happy to answer any questions.

EDIT: I'm dumb, it's not £6/week, it's £6 RELIEF/week, which is £1.20/week of actual tax if you pay 20% income tax i.e. if you claim the full period since lockdown began, you'll get a rebate of £127.20 as a basic rate taxpayer.

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I received notification of a change in tax code, which means my 2021/22 relief (£6 * 52 weeks = £312) will go through PAYE. I should also receive a cheque from HMRC for 2019/20 and 2020/21. That totals £636 of tax relief (£127.20 saving at 20%) as I was able to claim the entire period since lockdown began.

I've almost entirely worked from home since 16-Mar-20, so I'm entitled to this, but I'm not sure what's stopping everyone from claiming the full amount... I presume that if you show up in HMRC's PAYE records (e.g. not furloughed/unemployed etc.) then they'll automatically give you the full relief.

1643103161780.png

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)