SM Ubers Psychic Terrain Abuse [still low ladder]

It has been a while since I have sought a rate for a team, but I have been out of school for a few weeks, so I have had time to explore some metas. I haven't played much of Ubers before, so I thought I'd give it a go. I never did use Ultra Necrozma when it came out, since I wasn't playing Ubers, so I thought I'd give it a go. I noticed it was quite obvious how weak Ultra Necrozma is to priority, due to its relatively low bulk and detrimental psychic typing (which makes it weak to shadow sneak from Giratina and Marshadow, as well as Yveltal's sucker punch). I decided to make a psychic terrain team, to protect Necrozma from status, and, as a bonus, boost the power of its photon geyser. Anyway, without further ado, here is the team:

NecroZorro (Necrozma-Dusk-Mane) @ Ultranecrozium Z
Ability: Prism Armor
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Calm Mind
- Photon Geyser
- Power Gem
- Heat Wave

The star of the team I built around, Ultra Necrozma. I decided to go with a special variant because of its debatably better special coverage. Heat Wave hits Ferrothorn harder than any of its physical moves, while still hitting the steel types that Earthquake does, like Magearna, Aegislash, Arceus-Steel, Megagross, and Necrozma DM. Power Gem is an accurate way of dealing with Yveltal, which drops after one calm mind. It also hits Lugia for great damage, and decimates Ho-oh (although I've yet to see Ho-oh on the ladder; am I too low, or is it no longer popular?). Photon Geyser is obligatory stab, and makes great use of the z crystal necessary to use Ultra Necrozma.

One may be begging the question: why use DM for a special set? Well, I'm sure many of you know the answer to that question, but to be clear, it is because DM has a much better defensive typing than DW. This makes it easier to set up prior to z bursting (both DM and DW have bulkier defensive stats than Ultra Necrozma). Unlike DW, DM has no 4x weaknesses (or 3x after prism armor), and its steel typing prevents it from being crippled with toxic (although it does have to worry about burn and paralysis). Lastly, its higher defense stat makes it easier to set up, since calm mind boosts its lower special defense stat. I've noticed that this mon has a relatively easy time setting up on Xerneas, though the lack of bulk investment makes me weary of switching it in on a boosted moonblast, as a follow-up focus blast could take it out, or at least put it in range of another attack (meaning I can't set up). Necrozma also has a good time setting up on more passive Pokémon, such as Giratina-Altered and Lugia. However, it struggles with more offensive Pokémon that either have the right coverage, or good stab (e.g marshadow, blaziken, Pdon, various arceus forms).

Tapu Latte (Tapu Lele) @ Terrain Extender
Ability: Psychic Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Moonblast
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Of course, a psychic terrain team would not be complete without Tapu Lele. It's possible to run psychic terrain (the move) on some pokemon, but psychic surge is a much more viable option. Terrain extender is used over an offensive item because Lele serves more of a supportive role than an offensive one; the team benefits more from extended terrain than from extra fire power or speed. Additionally, unlike OU, the other Alolan guardians are rarely, if ever used in Ubers, so I don't have to worry about other tapus overwriting my extended terrain. Maximum speed plus taunt allows Lele to shutdown slower hazard setters, such as Smeargle, Pdon, and Cloyster. Psychic and Moonblast stop Lele from being too passive against anything that may want to set up and take advantage of my own terrain. Nature's Madness is used for bulky Pokémon that resist Psychic, and are not weak to Moonblast, such as Lugia, Necrozma-DM, and Ferrothorn.

DNAnnihilator (Deoxys-Attack) @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Mild Nature
- Low Kick
- Dark Pulse
- Psycho Boost
- Ice Beam

Necrozma isn't *that* threatening without a calm mind up, so I have Deo-A to apply the "pressure" (ba-dum-tss). Life orb ensures as much power as possible without locking Deo into one attack. Psycho Boost, although it lowers special attack drastically, nets OHKOs under psychic terrain that Psychic and Psyshock do not, such as SpDef Pdon and various Arceus forms. Low Kick is used for steel and dark types that Psycho Boost does not hit hard (or at all), such as weakened Ferrothorn, Arceus-Dark, and Darkrai. Low Kick us used over Superpower so Deo does not have to switch if a fighting move is needed for the next Pokémon that comes in. However, considering this is the only physical move on the set, I'm willing to replace it with Superpower. Dark Pulse allows Deo to smack Aegislash, Giratina, and opposing psychic types. Psycho Boost hits Giratina harder, but Dark Pulse never misses and keeps Deo's SpA high. Shadow Ball hits the same pokemon for the same damage, and provides perfect neutral coverage with Low Kick; However, this mostly just aids in hitting fairy types like Xerneas and Arceus-Fairy, who take much more from a stab Psycho Boost than a Shadow Ball. I chose Dark Pulse over Shadow Ball for its nasty flinch chance. Lastly, Ice Beam is used to KO pokemon that are weak to it, and/or can take its other moves, such as Yveltal, Lugia, and Zygarde-C.

A Rash nature is used to maximize special attack since a +speed nature only provides a few outspeeds that I don't believe are worth the damage trade off, such as Mewtwo Y. Special Attack EVs are maxed out rather than balancing the spread with attack because this set only has one physical attack. Furthermore, its stab move is special, and appreciates the boost; when it comes to offense, its all or nothing,

Marshmallow Killer (Marshadow) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Close Combat
- Spectral Thief
- Rock Tomb
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Marshadow serves as a great revenge killer and set-up deterrent that can also "set-up" itself, should an opponent not switch after setting up. I chose focus sash so Marshadow can revenge kill and steal boosts from anything lacking multi-hit moves, assuming no hazards are up. This is a large assumption, and so I have made measures with Taunt Lele and a hazard remover (see below). However, sometimes hazards get up and stay up. For this reason, I have chosen a Naïve nature (as opposed to Hasty) so that with stealth rock or one layer of spikes, Marshadow can still live opposing Marshadow's shadow sneak, assuming it is not holding life orb or choice band (though unfortunately, the former is usually the case). Spectral thief is obligatory for strong stab and stealing stats, while Close Combat creates perfect neutral coverage and a powerful stab. Rock Tomb benefits from Technician, and hits Ho-oh much harder than either of Marshadow's stab options. It also reduces the speed of switch ins that could otherwise outspeed and KO (or break sash), such as Mewtwo X. It can also be used on Pokémon that I think are trying to setup, such as Xerneas, so I can outspeed and steal its boosts next turn (unless its timid). Lastly, HP Ice is used to smack Zygarde, Megamence, and Shaymin. It is chosen over Ice Punch because it has a higher base power after Technician, hits Zygarde's and Mence's lower SpDef stat, bypasses Mence's intimidate, and takes advantage of special boosts that get stolen, such as geomancy Xerneas and various Calm Mind Arceus forms.

Blazing King (Blaziken-Mega) @ Blazikenite
Ability: Speed Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- Low Kick

At this point, I felt that my team had plenty of power, but needed more speed. Blaziken's speed boost allows it to outspeed most mons after one boost, and all (on the speed tier thread) after two boosts. Swords dance allows Blaziken to break bulkier Pokémon, and set up for a sweep. Unfortunately, I am not sure of how/when to find an opportunity to set up a swords dance, so advice would be appreciated. Flare Blitz is powerful stab that breaks through the Steel types that psychic pokemon struggle with. Low Kick is chosen over High Jump Kick for its perfect accuracy, lack of recoil, and nearly as high BP against key targets (Kyogre, Pdon, Arceus formes, etcetera). Lastly, Rock Slide rounds out some much needed coverage. It lures Ho-oh, and stops Megamence from putting Blaziken's sweep to a halt. I was thinking of using dual chop for Mence + Giratina, but then I miss out on hitting Ho-oh. Feedback/advice on this move slot would be appreciated. I may be missing protect (damn you 4MSS!), but I feel too strongly that I need coverage for Mence, at least. Plus, I want to make sure that I don't stall out my own terrain so my opponent can hit me with priority. Again, feedback on the utility of protect would be much appreciated.

Pharoh (Pheromosa) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Rapid Spin

Lastly, we have Pheromosa. I felt that I would not always be able to have a free turn to speed boost with Blaziken, and hazards may prevent Marshadow from living any hit. As such, I decided that choice scarf Pheromosa could help revenge kill really fast threats, such as Mewtwo Y, +2 modest Xerneas, and Deo-A. An Adamant nature is used over Jolly to provide an attack boost from beast boost; Pheromosa's speed is already high enough with a choice scarf to outspeed most threats. However, I am thinking of running a +speed nature to outspeed max speed +2 Xerneas, since Pheromosa's primary role is revenge killing (or aiding Marshadow in revenge killing). Poison Jab allows Pheromosa to pick off Xerneas if it was weakened while it set up. However, this is essentially its only target, and so I was thinking of replacing it with Ice Beam for its great coverage, or Drill Run for Blaziken. Rapid Spin is used to get rid of webs for the whole team, and SR/spikes so Marshadow can live any hit from a boosted mon, and steal its boosts. Lastly, U-Turn is used to hit and run, so Pheromosa doesn't have to take any hits, even if it means sacking another mon. This is useful if the opponent has boosted speed beyond the rest of my Pokémon, and I need Pheromosa to chip damage it before it can take it out. I was thinking of using Lunge instead, in case Pheromosa wants to stay in locked in a Bug move, or I want to sack it to help another mon set up on a physical attacker. Alternatively, I was thinking of Bug Buzz for higher BP and bypassing substitutes.

Well, that's the team. I know that a few people post to say stuff like "look, this is the team that got me to 1X00", but I'm here instead to ask for advice on how to make my team help me climb the ladder. All feedback is appreciated, even if it's just "yeah, it all looks good" or "yeah, I agree, you should make that/those change(s)". :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)