SM OU Pyukumber Balance (Peak 1600+)

PYUKUMBER BALANCE

This is a team that came together after the disbanding of a disgusting stall team I made. Pyukumuku is definitely one my favorite Gen 7 Mons. Though it has a pretty big weakness in not having any sort of offensive presence at all, I believe it can be a viable OU option when placed on the right team. Many teams are unprepared for this Mon and many players are 'unaware' of what it does, exactly.

You liked the pun.

Pyukumuku @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
Toxic
Recover
Soak
Counter

SpDef Pyukumuku is a monster. It can comfortably take on special Pheromosa, Greninja, Volcarona, and largely any other special threat. Unaware allows it to take on all kinds of set up sweepers, which is a very nice tool for balance to have. Counter gets a lot of surprise kills, allowing Pyukumuku to take on threats such as Protean Gren, Metagross, etc.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
Spikes
Leech Seed
Protect
Gyro Ball

Ferrothorn is the other remaining member from my disgrace of a stall team and the second member of this team's defensive core. It pairs well with cucumber, being able to soak up both of its weaknesses, while Pyukumuku can absorb Ferro's fire weakness with ease. Went with SpDef to hep with threats like Greninja, Gengar, etc, and because most of the physical threats to it are covered by the Landorus and Zapdos. Since the theme of the team is wearing down opponents until late game cleanup, spikes are necessary. Leech Seed helps achieve the overall goal by being some small recovery for the entire team when switching correctly.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 236 Atk / 4 SpD / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
Stealth Rock
Earthquake
Stone Edge
U-turn

Landorus is the last member of the defensive core. He takes on the electric weakness of Pyukumuku and the fighting weakness of Ferrothorn. Landorus does several things for the team: physical wall, rocker, helmet abuser, and member of the Volt-Turn core. Most defensive Landos don't use U-turn, but the slow turn synergizes well with the rest of the team. Lando helps keep Scizor, Mawile, and other physical threats in check.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
Volt Switch
Heat Wave
Defog
Roost

Zapdos is the glue of the team. Provides Defog support, sponges hits from the physical and special sides, and is the second member of the Volt-Turn core. I've always been biased in favor of other electrics, but Zapdos' ability to take hits and access to defog sold me on it for this team. It has great synergy with the defensive core and helps take out some annoyances, such as Tapu Fini, Ferrothorn, Clesteela, etc. It may not be flashy, but it does its job well. Manu Ginobli.

Metagross-Mega @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
Meteor Mash
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch
Earthquake

On to the heavy hitters! Mega Metagross is just too good to not have on a team right now; it can take hits from some strong mons, such as Tapu Lele and deal an immense amount of damage back. Pretty standard set here. I chose EQ over Hammer Arm, because I felt more of a need to hit Tran and opposing Metas hard.

Pheromosa @ Choice Specs
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
Bug Buzz
Focus Blast
Ice Beam
U-turn

If we're gonna have one standard Mon, we have to have another... Right? Damn Right. Specs Mosa is very versatile. It can be used as a lead, late game sweeper, revenge killer, or mid game chunk-taker-outter. Pretty standard set, as well. Opted for U-turn over Rapid Spin, because Zapdos already provides hazard clearing, U-turn generates synergy with the Volt-Turn core, and I wanted Mosa to be focused on its offensive abilities, rather than playing utility Mon.

Hey man your team composition seems viable, but the EV spreads on Landorus, Pyukumuku, Ferrothorn, and Zapdos are all kind of nonsense.

If you are trying to have a more offensive opproach to stealth rocks landorus, I would heavily recommend more speed investment, also known as "speed creep". One easy way to know how much speed you should invest is to look at a common pokemon like Heatran that is a threat to your team (since you have no switchins if it carries taunt) and EV landorus to outspeed it. I would also recommend giving ferrothorn a mixed EV spread to do something like live a superpower from CB tyranitar (just an example - you should figure out how much bulk is good on your own).

Zapdos should also probably not be modest unless you want to run significant speed investment as well (see Treble Clefable's agility Zapdos set on the creatuve sets thread for instance).

Not to be a jerk, but I dont quite agree with your use of Pyukumuku, since only low ladder players will let things get soak-toxiced, and it really just doesnt add any value to your team; Pyukumuku seems to sap momentum more than anything else. Also protect on Ferrothorn is viable but generally a very poor choice when compared to power whip, knock off, or thunder wave.

Hope I helped!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)