<li>Unresisted coverage with Sacred Sword</li>
<li>Fantastic defensive typing (3 immunities, 9 resistances)</li>
</ul>

[Cons]
<ul>
<li>Often outclassed by Aegislash- no King's Shield, among other reasons</li>
<li>Subpar HP and SpD</li>
<li>Must run Eviolite to have a niche, so no other items</li>
<li>Weak to Dark, Ghost, Ground and Fire, none of which are uncommon attacking types</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Doublade @ Eviolite<br />
Ability: No Guard<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def <br />
Brave Nature (+Atk, -Spe)<br />
IVs: 0 Spd<br />
- Swords Dance<br />
- Gyro Ball<br />
- Shadow Sneak/Shadow Claw<br />
- Sacred Sword</p>
  • Decent wallbreaker at +2
  • Unlike Aegislash it can have good Attack and Defense at the same time
  • EVs maximize attack and put everything else into bulk
  • 0 Spd IVs maximize Gyro Ball power
  • Swords Dance turns Doublade into a powerful attacker
  • Gyro Ball is the main attack, working off STAB and up to 120 BP
  • Shadow Sneak and Shadow Claw both provide secondary STAB, one having priority but the other being much more powerful
  • Sacred Sword gets perfect coverage with Ghost-type attacks, and rounds out Doublade's set
  • Appreciates Trick Room support, which lets it work more effectively
  • Works well with special walls who it can switch around with
  • Actually enjoys Sticky Web because it strengthens Gyro Ball
  • Worth noting that it can actually switch out of Shadow Tag Gengar because of its Ghost-typing, or OHKO with Shadow Sneak at +2
  • Could run a more defensive EV spread, but it's not worth it with such low SpD and no King's Shield

[Checks and Counters]

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, this thing seems really bad. You say it's a decent wallbreaker but it's actually a pretty shitty one. It is completely walled by Hippowdon, Skarmory, Gourgeist-H, WoW Rotom-W, and SubPass Blaziken, the latter of which is not even a defensive Pokemon. It's not breaking through any defensive core anytime soon, it can't break through offensive teams as Rotom-W is everywhere, gives free switch-ins to Blaziken, and is revenge killed by Excadrill, Garchomp, special Fire move users, and a ton of other Pokemon. So, it doesn't hit hard right off the bat, it is unable to deal damage even after setting up, it is revenge killed easily, and it can't even check things that well because of the lack of Leftovers. If there is something that this little guys can do and Aegislash can't i am willing to reconsider, but for now consider this rejected.

dragonuser

The only thing I look up to is the sky
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Yea, i think I'm in agreement with Alexwolf on this. Aegislash does nearly everything mentioned in set comments better, with the only thing this has over it being the increased defense which imo is not even that much of a plus as Aegislash has access to Kings Shield and Leftovers. Not to mention that Aegislash serves a much better bulky wallbreaker (which if I read this correctly is your main reasoning for its viability) as it is actually able to break walls and has good overall defenses on both spectrums while this only has good physical defense. Overall, I really see no reason that this would ever be used.

QC REJECTED 1/3
(maybe 2/3 depending on alexwolf?)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I want to give him some time to test other Doublade sets if he wants, so i won't reject this yet.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
But,Dusclops was better than his evolution..
Unfortunately Aegislash isn't like Dusknoir.

Also, one thing that hurts this set is the lack of real recovery. Doublade doesn't even get access to Pain Split... which is painful.

If you're attempting to play this set by its strengths... it seems way too inferior overall. Aegislash doesn't really have to worry about the lost Defense unless it's miraculously faster or it uses Shadow Sneak. Meanwhile, you're stuck with inferior Atk for a cost of... slightly superior Def. And lower in other crucial stats (hey even Shadow Ball Aegislash isn't bad). And loss of King's Shield.

Sorry Jibaku but I fail to see merit to Doublade barring tiers where Aegislash isn't in.

jc104

Humblest person ever
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
I think, by now, we've learnt that defensive pokemon with absolutely no recovery don't really work. I know that doublade has a reasonable attack stat, but its moves have relatively low base power (except Gyro ball, sometimes), coupled with low speed and a priority move not powerful enough to compensate.

I think the best bet for this thing is probably resttalk. I mean, we seem to be giving a restalk set to mega aggron, (as well as another set, but that one relies on twave which doublade doesn't get) something surprisingly similar to doublade - doublade trades some attack and filter for much better typing, and not using up the mega slot. Their defenses are very close to equal. With RestTalk doublade should no longer be as vulnerable to status or as easy to wear down. Sadly, it still can't really spinblock well, what with the main spinners being either special attackers or excadrill.

I mean, it probably sucks, and mega aggron probably does too, but I think it's worth a shot at the very least.

I think the best bet for this thing is probably resttalk. I mean, we seem to be giving a restalk set to mega aggron, (as well as another set, but that one relies on twave which doublade doesn't get) something surprisingly similar to doublade - doublade trades some attack and filter for much better typing, and not using up the mega slot. Their defenses are very close to equal. With RestTalk doublade should no longer be as vulnerable to status or as easy to wear down. Sadly, it still can't really spinblock well, what with the main spinners being either special attackers or excadrill.

I mean, it probably sucks, and mega aggron probably does too, but I think it's worth a shot at the very least.
It's a worse typing defensively (4 weaknesses) and doesn't have Aggron's amazing moves (120bp STAB, phazing) or it's pretty-much-necessary Filter ability. It's got the defense required for a good ResTalk, but that's about it. It certainly has potential in the lower tiers, but in OU it's just completely outclassed by Aggron.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)