Rain Rain Go Away

Hey guys! The first team I made this gen was a pretty poor rain team, so Im hoping this attempt is a bit better. I would say this rain is more balanced/bulky offense than Hyper Offense. I know Rain teams are really only meant to be Hyper Offense this generation, but I feel like this team is still somewhat viable.

The premise of the team is basically to weaken everything, so then Politoed can come in late game again and set up rain for Kingdra to sweep the opposing team with Choice Specs Surf.

I saw a team that was built like this in a thread that I think was called Rain In OU. That team inspired me to build this one, so credit goes where credit is due.

First Look At the Entire Team

Individual Breakdown

Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Encore

This is really just your standard Bulky Politoed. It's only job is to live long enough throughout the match to provide continuous rain support. Politoed is unfortunately a piss poor Pokemon without Drizzle, because at least Hippowdown, T-Tar, and MZard Y can provide other useful things without weather.​
  • Scald is there for the STAB and useful utility in burn. In the rain, the power isn't to bad at all. Really can deter set up sweepers if used right.​
  • Rest is there for the recovery, since Politoed can't even carry leftovers anymore. I actually haven't used it yet, but it just seems so important that I have it there.​
  • Sleep Talk goes hand in hand with Rest, ensuring Politoed isn't entirely useless when its asleep. Regardless, even when its awake its a subpar Pokemon without Drizzle.​
  • Encore is there to prevent any setting up. Also helps in getting safe switch ins.​

Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 200 Spd / 252 SAtk / 56 HP
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Draco Meteor

Kingdra is my main win condition. It generally preforms better against Offensive Teams, especially those lacking Thundurus. The main goal of the team is to deal chip damage throughout the match to slowly whittle everything down to killing range of Surf. I run enough speed to outspeed Deo-S, and the rest is put in bulk and SpA.​
  • Hydro Pump is used usually early in the game when I need the immediate firepower to break something down. I will use it later too if the same said bulky mon still has enough health in the late game to survive a Surf. The sheer power of Choice Specs Hydro Pump in the Rain is basically enough to break down anything that doesnt quad resist, AV Goodra, or Water Absorb Mons.​
  • Surf is the weaker and more reliable version of Hydro Pump, used more often in Mid to Late game to clean up the opposing team. Can be used Early Game if the Opposing team lacks anything bulky to take a surf.​
  • Ice Beam is used over Dragon Pulse because I just wanted to hit grass types super effectively at times. It actually hasn't been used much.​
  • Draco Meteor is what I use to break down water resists or Water Absorb mons on the switch in.​

Kabutops @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 228 Spd / 212 Atk / 68 HP
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock
- Rapid Spin

This is an offensive support Kingdra. The team I saw posted in the thread lacked any sort of Hazards or Hazard Control. I also needed a Fly Spam check, and this worked decently well under the rain. It has the bulk to live two It lacks the sheer power that makes standard sweeping Kabutops so frightening, but the support it provides can be invaluable. I also tend to use this thing to take out Thundurus, as I don't want to risk my Kingdra getting Para'd. Leftovers cause I really need that recovery so it can increase longevity so it can serve its utility role. Again, enough speed is run to outspeed Deo-S.
  • The main stab and damage dealer. It still hits really hard, and it makes Kabutops not entirely weak.
  • Stone Edge is the other obligatory STAB move, and with the Adamant Nature and substantial attack investment, it still hits hard without a Life Orb.
  • I have nothing else on this team to put Stealth Rocks on. It makes Talonflame, Dragonite, and Thundurus, all much less of a threat.
  • Hazard control. Not much to say.

Amoonguss @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 148 SAtk / 252 HP / 24 SDef / 84 Def
Modest Nature
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Foul Play

Two water types really give Rain Teams alot of trouble: Keldeo and Azumarill. Breloom also really gives Rain teams headaches. Amoonguss is a pretty underrated Pokemon that can deal with all of their standard sets. It also provides really useful Spores. Some people would say running Ferrothorn is better, it while it might free up a moveslot on Kabutops, it also means I lose a Keldeo and Breloom switch in.
  • While not as overpowered as last Gen, Spore is still an incredible tool for this team to have, as it can effectively take one opposing pokemon out of commision temporarily.
  • Giga Drain is the obligatory stab and provides some useful recovery and damage.
  • Sludge Bomb hits Fairies that can give Kingdra problems, as well as other Pokemon. May consider giving this Clear Smog to deal with Cosmic Power Clefable.
  • Foul Play can hit Aegislash if I can play around the Kings Shield mindgames. Does other things to, but thats the first useful thing I can think of.

Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 SAtk / 180 Spd / 32 SDef / 44 HP
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Knock Off
- Superpower
- U-turn

The EVs and Natures are really sub-optimal, I'm aware. I just didnt want to use the typical AV Torn-T with a -Atk nature because Hurricane in the rain is to good to pass up. I have enoguh Speed to still outspeed Thundurus so I can hit it with some move so I don't have to worry about it later. It cans switch in to Mega-Venusaur decently well, just having to fear the Sleep Powder. Leech seed is annoying, but I can regain the health with Regenerator. At full health, Torn-T can tank a Fire Blast from Modest 252 SpA Charizard Y in the Sun, and I can then U-Turn out to Poli to set up rain to force Char Y out. That's very situational, but still useful at times, especially since Char Y is a huge threat to my team.​
  • Hurricane is such a fun move to abuse in Rain. It dents most incoming Switch Ins, and the confusion chance is very nice. I enjoy having the speed to just keep on spamming Hurricanes to weaken everything for Kingdra to eventually sweep.
  • Knock Off is great because it can cripple alot of Switch Ins that can usually take a Hurricane. Some Chansey switch in because they see Hurricane and expect a special variant, which is great because removing its Eviolite makes it easier for Kabutops to break down.
  • Superpower is only used over Focus Blast because its more accurate, and hits T-Tar and Chansey harder. However, with a minus Attack nature, Focus Miss might still be better, so I might consider it.
  • U-Turn is for switching when I predict a switch, and works well with Regenerator to regain health after switching. Used in conjugation with the fact that I also tend to lead with Tornadus T depending on the team match-up.

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 152 Atk / 112 HP / 64 SDef / 160 Spd / 20 Def
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Swords Dance
- Roost

Again, another really sub-optimal EV Spread. I ran enough speed to outspeed Rotom-W, but now that I think about it, Amoonguss already deals with Rotom-W decently well. I might just go use the standard bulky set so I can set up on Gliscor, Conkeldurr, and Aegislash better. Setting up on Conk and Aegi is really appreciated, as AV Conkeldurr can eat up some hits from Kingdra. Scizor is also my main Fairy switch in and destroyer, which is important as fairies can also eat up hits from Kingdra. M-Scizor functions as a second sweeper if Kingdra can't finish the job or if M-Scizor has the better match up.
  • Knock Off is great for all the reasons I listed before with Tornadus-T. It also hits Aegislash, which is mightily appreciated, as well as Heatran. Pretty much screws with any steel resists that switch in to take a Bullet Punch.
  • Bullet Punch is the main STAB and the only priority on the team. Priority is not a huge problem considering how fast Kingdra and Kabutops are in the rain.
  • Swords Dance allows me to function as a threatening sweeper, especially when a lot of the steel resists are gone.
  • Roost allows me to set up all over Gliscor, as well as most Conkeldurr lacking Drain Punch. Roost improves longevity, which is great considering how important M-Scizor is to the team.

Concluding Thoughts

This team definitely is not perfect, and it has its fair share of weaknesses (Thundy-I being the biggest one). I do feel however, that it is still fairly viable and can be used successfully in today's meta-game. Since I feel that the Pokemon as a whole synergize and work well together, I feel that the main issue is EV spreads and Movesets. If anyone can offer tips and suggestions, that would be most appreciated. Teammate suggestions will be considered if the Pokemon suggested can at least pull off the same niche and role and offer even more useful utility. I find that alot of the time, replacing things to deal with a threat just opens up to many holes that makes the team even weaker.

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Nice team. I would change Amoonguss to Ferrothorn so you can run earthquake over stealth rocks on Kabutops. Kabutops really like the power from life orb. Tornadus-T checks Keldeo easily so you still have a check to it. 248hp, 44atk, 116def, 100sdef is the optimal bulky Scizor spread.

Clone

Free Gliscor
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Nice team dude. However, your Tornadus Set bothers me. You have 3 physical attacks, but you chose a Timid Nature. I get that's it's an AV set and that lowering a defense isn't the best thing in the world, but I feel that you'd benefit a lot more if yu were to give him a Hasty Nature instead. It retains the special bulk and allows you to do more damage with your physical attacks. Everything else looks good :)

Nice team dude. However, your Tornadus Set bothers me. You have 3 physical attacks, but you chose a Timid Nature. I get that's it's an AV set and that lowering a defense isn't the best thing in the world, but I feel that you'd benefit a lot more if yu were to give him a Hasty Nature instead. It retains the special bulk and allows you to do more damage with your physical attacks. Everything else looks good :)
Thanks for the rate :) ! I did end up changing to Hasty, I dont know what I was thinking with Timid. Amoonguss and Scizor can usually take physical moves pretty well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)