SM OU Rate my Bulky Offense Team (High 1700s peak)

Heyyo, this is a team i used to reach about mid to high 1700s on the OU ladder. I'm not unhappy with those results cause i think its the highest I've made it before, but i would very much like to make it higher. The team is built around the idea of pivoting to get mawile or greninja in, dropping a nuke, then rinsing at repeating. Clefable cleans up late game after ive gotten rid of the threats.
Sorry in advance, I dont really know how to do all the pretty shit like sprites or the show/hide tabs, so this is gonna be awful to look at. Anyways, heres the team.

The Squad

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

This first pokemon I chose was mawile, for its complete nuking potential and late game cleans with sucker punch. I feel play rough and sucker are very necessary on this team right now, but im unsure about fire fang. Ferrothorn walls this team pretty good if i dont have ffang on the mawile, but thunder punch is better in almost every match-up, especially with koko on my team. I made the EV spread a long time ago so i'm not 100% sure of what it does, but I believe its just to outspeed 4 speed neutral nature tyranitar, with the rest in attack and bulk.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The next pokemon is scarf landorus. Using scarf rocks is relatively frowned upon from what I've seen, but i genuinely believe its really good for several reasons, the first obviously being simple role compression. However, stealth rocks are actually great to bluff being non-scarf. I can set up the rocks early in the game, and catch surprise KO's later in the game and potentially even clean. I try my best to play around bluffing a non-scarf set, by hard-switching on lead greninjas rather than u-turning, even if it is missing out on a potential 90ish%. Its all around an excellent lead, as i can earthquake a koko lead freely, and set up rocks on many things. Stone edge is to surprise lead Char-y that think they can stay in and fire blast or flamethrower, however char-y isnt near as common anymore, so I've been thinking of replacing it with hp ice. The EVS are to outspeed scarf excadrill, but underspeed other scarf landorus. I want to underspeed them for slow U-turns and to continue bluffing my lack of a scarf.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes/Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

The standard current toxapex set. I use it as a pivot to get in Mawile and Greninja to start nuking, stop sweeps, and also whittle away at threats so I can clean up with clef, maw, or gren. Toxic spikes is usually my preference in that slot, but i feel as if it can fuck me over sometimes. If i have only one layer up or none, toxapex is dead-weight against bulky foes, such as bulu, chansey, and mew.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Another cleaner, sweeper, and pivot. A standard set, not much to explain. I use it as a pivot earlier in the game if possible to do without taking a lot of damage, and then attempt to clean late game. Spikes can be used over u-turn, but i prefer the pivot support.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Another pivot, and my primary counter-measure against pex, AV magearna, and chansey. I love this set as it works not only as an excellent pivot, but a lure for chansey and AV magearna.

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Electric Terrain: 348-411 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 520-613 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

My late game wincon. Once I've removed threats, I send in the clefable, and, barring any crits, essentially win the game. After enough boosts, clefable can 1v1 some pretty crazy strong pokemon. In dire circumstances, I've set up on mega scizors, as with full defensive investment, clefable lives 2 bullet punches. Clef also checks many physical threats, such as zygarde, landorus, Kyurem-B, TTar, etc. Ive used some other moves and sets on clefable, such as stored power without cosmic power, stored power without soft-boiled, and this same set but with unaware. However, this set has proven the most successful.

Weaknesses

Mega Venusaur
This monster is far and away the biggest threat. It walls almost my entire team, and switches in to nearly everything. My only real counter play to it is to taunt, then whittle it down with earthquake, dark pulse, the u-turn vortex, and scald burns when possible. I can also somewhat 1v1 with mawile if i've had the opportunity to boost enough, which isnt often.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Hits everything on my team very hard, barring clefable. Even clefable gets hit super hard by Icium Z. My main counter-play is baiting in an Icium with clefable out, then switching to pex. Once the z move is wasted, clefable can pretty much take care of kyurem.

As more threats are identified, I'll attempt to add them here.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648532426
In this replay I rip apart a fat team with mega mawile to put myself in an auto win position with clefable.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648520768
A bit of hax both ways but a rlly clean late-game sweep with greninja.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648970714
Not the best game on either end honestly, but a decent example of what the team as a whole can do, and an extra replay to throw in.

The End

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your input :).

Heyyo, this is a team i used to reach about mid to high 1700s on the OU ladder. I'm not unhappy with those results cause i think its the highest I've made it before, but i would very much like to make it higher. The team is built around the idea of pivoting to get mawile or greninja in, dropping a nuke, then rinsing at repeating. Clefable cleans up late game after ive gotten rid of the threats.
Sorry in advance, I dont really know how to do all the pretty shit like sprites or the show/hide tabs, so this is gonna be awful to look at. Anyways, heres the team.

The Squad

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
EVs: 160 HP / 252 Atk / 96 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

This first pokemon I chose was mawile, for its complete nuking potential and late game cleans with sucker punch. I feel play rough and sucker are very necessary on this team right now, but im unsure about fire fang. Ferrothorn walls this team pretty good if i dont have ffang on the mawile, but thunder punch is better in almost every match-up, especially with koko on my team. I made the EV spread a long time ago so i'm not 100% sure of what it does, but I believe its just to outspeed 4 speed neutral nature tyranitar, with the rest in attack and bulk.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The next pokemon is scarf landorus. Using scarf rocks is relatively frowned upon from what I've seen, but i genuinely believe its really good for several reasons, the first obviously being simple role compression. However, stealth rocks are actually great to bluff being non-scarf. I can set up the rocks early in the game, and catch surprise KO's later in the game and potentially even clean. I try my best to play around bluffing a non-scarf set, by hard-switching on lead greninjas rather than u-turning, even if it is missing out on a potential 90ish%. Its all around an excellent lead, as i can earthquake a koko lead freely, and set up rocks on many things. Stone edge is to surprise lead Char-y that think they can stay in and fire blast or flamethrower, however char-y isnt near as common anymore, so I've been thinking of replacing it with hp ice. The EVS are to outspeed scarf excadrill, but underspeed other scarf landorus. I want to underspeed them for slow U-turns and to continue bluffing my lack of a scarf.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Toxic Spikes/Toxic
- Recover
- Haze

The standard current toxapex set. I use it as a pivot to get in Mawile and Greninja to start nuking, stop sweeps, and also whittle away at threats so I can clean up with clef, maw, or gren. Toxic spikes is usually my preference in that slot, but i feel as if it can fuck me over sometimes. If i have only one layer up or none, toxapex is dead-weight against bulky foes, such as bulu, chansey, and mew.

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Water Shuriken
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse

Another cleaner, sweeper, and pivot. A standard set, not much to explain. I use it as a pivot earlier in the game if possible to do without taking a lot of damage, and then attempt to clean late game. Spikes can be used over u-turn, but i prefer the pivot support.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Taunt
- U-turn
- Wild Charge
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Another pivot, and my primary counter-measure against pex, AV magearna, and chansey. I love this set as it works not only as an excellent pivot, but a lure for chansey and AV magearna.

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 200 HP / 0 Def Magearna in Electric Terrain: 348-411 (99.1 - 117%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

252 Atk Tapu Koko Gigavolt Havoc (175 BP) vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 520-613 (73.9 - 87.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 Atk Tapu Koko Wild Charge vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey in Electric Terrain: 268-316 (38.1 - 44.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Clefable @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Cosmic Power
- Soft-Boiled
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast

My late game wincon. Once I've removed threats, I send in the clefable, and, barring any crits, essentially win the game. After enough boosts, clefable can 1v1 some pretty crazy strong pokemon. In dire circumstances, I've set up on mega scizors, as with full defensive investment, clefable lives 2 bullet punches. Clef also checks many physical threats, such as zygarde, landorus, Kyurem-B, TTar, etc. Ive used some other moves and sets on clefable, such as stored power without cosmic power, stored power without soft-boiled, and this same set but with unaware. However, this set has proven the most successful.

Weaknesses

Mega Venusaur
This monster is far and away the biggest threat. It walls almost my entire team, and switches in to nearly everything. My only real counter play to it is to taunt, then whittle it down with earthquake, dark pulse, the u-turn vortex, and scald burns when possible. I can also somewhat 1v1 with mawile if i've had the opportunity to boost enough, which isnt often.

Kyurem-Black @ Icium Z
Hits everything on my team very hard, barring clefable. Even clefable gets hit super hard by Icium Z. My main counter-play is baiting in an Icium with clefable out, then switching to pex. Once the z move is wasted, clefable can pretty much take care of kyurem.

As more threats are identified, I'll attempt to add them here.

Replays

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648532426
In this replay I rip apart a fat team with mega mawile to put myself in an auto win position with clefable.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648520768
A bit of hax both ways but a rlly clean late-game sweep with greninja.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-648970714
Not the best game on either end honestly, but a decent example of what the team as a whole can do, and an extra replay to throw in.

The End

Thanks for reading, and I look forward to your input :).
U mentioned a weakness to venusaur, which is actually fairly easily sloved by brave bird koko. Also mega maw spread is the stabdard spread i believe, been around 4 a while, definitely would like to point out that u have a lot of ground weakness. I also suggest spikes>u turn on ash gren, a set which is getting a lot more common and is really nice in a ton of matches, especially since u also have rocks and t spikes

U mentioned a weakness to venusaur, which is actually fairly easily sloved by brave bird koko. Also mega maw spread is the stabdard spread i believe, been around 4 a while, definitely would like to point out that u have a lot of ground weakness. I also suggest spikes>u turn on ash gren, a set which is getting a lot more common and is really nice in a ton of matches, especially since u also have rocks and t spikes
Ive considered brave bird on tapu koko, but i feel all my current moves are necessary.
Thats my bad i didnt know that spread was standard, i figured it wasnt cause its not one of the two on the smogdex i wasnt tryin to like take credit for it or anything.
Spikes on gren isnt a bad idea, but i feel like after ive clicked spikes im usually in a bad position so i rarely do click it, and u-turn is rlly nice on this team and i purposely built around it. I understand spikes is considered a good set, but if the opponent predicts correct it puts you in bad positions where you dont really have a great switch in. And when i click rocks with lando people dont know its scarfed so they play around it like a normal lando, whereas with greninja if i set up a spike and dont change types via protean, they know im choice locked. All in all, i think spikes was a lot better in and around the meta during sticky webs, but now hazard removal is a lot more common.

Also yeah i do have a bit of a ground weakness, can typically be played around with lando and clef though

Hi wisdom dog, I'm going to rate your team.

I'll start by pointing out the weaknesses that I think your team has.

• A second, more sturdy steel type is mandatory unless running ho when using mega mawile to switch into tapu lele because mawile alone can be overloaded very easily by tapu lele and revenge killed as it can't use sucker punch under psychic terrain. Your team doesn't have that secondary steel type.
  • Your team doesn't have a good tapu koko answer.
  • A reliable way to deal with heatran is also mandatory when using mega mawile and your team lacks that. Toxapex can be trapped by magma storm and be eliminated via taunt and earth power. Nothing else on your team can switch well into heatran.
  • You yourself mentioned that mega venusaur and kyurem black are both threats as well which I agree with.

I'll now discuss some mon changes which you can make to help with the problems you currently face.
  • Firstly, fitting ferrothorn on your team will help with the tapu lele and koko issue as it switches in semi reliably to both of them.
  • To deal with the mega venusaur problem, consider using reuniclus. While reuniclus is not ou by usage, it is a viable mon in ou and a very obnoxious 1 at that (lol). It can remedy a lot of problems mawile faces. It can absorb hits and set up calm minds on mega venusaur, tangrowth, zapdos, celesteela, ferrothorn and mew to name a few. This helps mawile a lot as you might not want it to take unnecessary damage. It also serves the same purpose as clefable if not more reliably walling mega medicham.
This is how the team now looks like. I'll also discuss the movesets you can run on the mons.

• Mawile's set stays the same of sd/playrough/sucker/firefang. 216 speed evs let mawile outspeed skarmory which is important when dealing with stall and also max speed adamant alolan marowak.
  • Lando-t can use fly-z set of sr/eq/fly/gravity which can help weaken opposing opposing lando-t for your mawile and also tapu bulu which is quite annoying for theam.
  • Ferrothorn can also run the standard smogon dex evs. The moveset could be spikes/leechseed/powerwhip/gyroball. The reason for gyro ball over knock off is to better deal with kyurem black as well as tapu bulu.
  • Reuniclus will also use the standard smogondex set. The moveset of psyshock/focusblast/recover/cm is best here I feel. Focus blast over shadow ball lets you 2hko max hp heatran.
  • Greninja's role can be switched to protean scarfer. The moveset you can use would be uturn/lowkick/icebeam/toxicspikes to even the playing field vs. hazard stack teams since you lack hazard removal. If you face problems with volcarona, which is generally unreliable on the ladder, you can replace toxic spikes with rock slide.
  • Tapu koko can utilize a choice specs set. The set will be tbolt/volt/dazzlinggleam/hpice. Specs dazzling gleam has a very high chance to ohko standard naive kyurem black from full.

Mawile @ Mawilite
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Landorus-Therian @ Flyinium Z
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Fly
- Gravity

Reuniclus @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Recover

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Knock Off

Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Protean
EVs: 176 Atk / 80 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Low Kick
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

Tapu Koko @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

The new team is not perfect and suffers from vulnerability to toxic spikes. The sets on the mons can be changed around to suit your liking and this is only an example. Some other mons can be swapped out to include defog support but that would involve changing more team members. Hope I helped you out.

The next pokemon is scarf landorus. Its all around an excellent lead, as i can earthquake a koko lead freely, and set up rocks on many things.
Sorry, I disagree with this btw. If your lando-t's intimidate activates 1st instead of their tapu koko's electric terrain going 1st, they will immediately know lando-t is scarf.

Last edited:
Sorry, I disagree with this btw. An experienced player will be able to observe that if your lando-t's intimidate activates 1st instead of their tapu koko's electric terrain going 1st, they will immediately know lando-t is scarf.
Oh shit i didnt actually think about that, a lot of people dont catch that on the ladder.
As for all the changes, i very much agree with them except for changing EVs on mawile. I like the extra bulk and i dont think those mons are worth outspeeding as
1. Marowak is never run outside of TR anymore, so outspeeding them isnt a problem as no one will be running max speed. I also have sucker punch for them.
2. Skarmory is rarely used with stall being a lot worse now, and even against a skarmory i dont feel i really need to outspeed it that bad as i pretty much wall them anyways.

Thanks for all the help, you really butchered this team but the changes are actually really awesome, i love using reun in this metagame. Highly look forward to trying out this team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)