ORAS OU Return of the Familiar Friends - Mega Metagross team

I'm back with another team! I'm returning to my roots, with an offensive core of Mega Metagross and Keldeo. The team was intended to be more balanced, since my typical fast and furious offensive teams tend to lose long games.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Bullet Punch

I built the team around metagross because it's my favorite pokemon pretty much. First, I'm running a pretty standard max attack and speed spread with a jolly nature. the defense is actually decent as well, allowing me to tank some moderately strong hits. Otherwise, I'm just maximizing offensive presence. Meteor mash and zen headbutt are stabs, each having their own fun little secondary effects. Hammer arm lets me hit ferrothorn, excadrill, bisharp, and other stuff that resists my stabs. Bullet punch helps massively with priority, and pursuit wasn't doing much of anything anyway.

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secret Sword

Keldeo is on the team as a special attacker to cover physically bulky threats that check metagross. Leftovers due to the substitute calm mind set, maxed special attack and speed with a timid nature to maximize offensive presence. Substitute and Calm Mind let me set up, help me absorb status, and generally pressure the opponent if they don't have a check right away. Scald and Secret Sword are my stab moves.

Latios @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latios used to be a support latias, but changed based on a suggestion and it has been really helpful. It has some helpful resistances as well as hitting some things the other offensive pokemon can't. Life orb, maxed speed and special attack, and timid nature make for maximized offense. Draco Meteor and Psyshock are my stab moves, hidden power fire is really important taking on bulky grass types like ferro and tangrowth. Finally, roost to keep it alive.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

This is on the team as a defensive pivot, intended to take hits and keep momentum going. Leftovers helps it recover, and the evs let me outspeed and burn bisharp before it can hit me with the rest dumped into bulk, topped off with a bold nature. Hydro Pump is my stab move, volt switch for the momentum. Will-o-wisp helps wear foes down as well as weakening physical attackers. Pain split lets me pull off a few plays and sometimes even lets rotom ko by itself.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Lando switches into physical attackers. Rocky helmet, intimidate, physical bulk investment, and impish nature all contribute to this. the special defense helps me take hits from the likes of mega charizard y and a few others I forget, and I forget why the speed is there tbh, I'm sure it's good for something. Earthquake is my strong reliable stab move, stone edge for the flying types I like to switch into. U-turn keeps momentum going and stealth rock breaks sashes and kills charizard and talonflame.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 236 SpD / 32 Spe
Calm Nature
- Recover
- Baton Pass
- Giga Drain
- Nasty Plot

This slot has been home to ferrothorn and tangrowth before celebi and this latest change works best so far. It's intended to break bulky water types that cause problems like slowbro, suicune, and vaporeon. Lefties, calm nature, and bulk investment help me take hits while I set up. Being specially defensive also covers rotom and lando's defensive weakness. Speed puts me ahead of maxed speed tyranitar. Recover is recovery, Nasty plot and baton pass let me either get free stat boosts over to keldeo or latios as a pivot, or I can just nasty plot to break bulky water types. Finally, Giga Drain is my stab move of choice.

And that's the team! Let me know what y'all think of it!

some replays: 1

Last edited:
Hi ^-^ nice team but I'll like to provide some suggestions for you. I think it is better to put hammer arm on metagross to help dish out damage on to Ferrothorns + Heatran instead of switching to Earthquake since Hammer Arm still does enough to kill Heatran after prior damage so Earthquake is almost redundant most of the time.

Also I think it will be better to using Substitute - Calm Mind Keldeo as it helps your team to better deal with bulkier teams as being choice locked means you can be played around easily.
So in my opinion be better for your team to use Heatran > Ferrothorn as your Stealth Rocker because you need something that can switch in Serperior that is the worst threat for you: it manages to be very dangerous for the team since outspeed everything except Keldeo, and does a lot of damage to the whole team. Also Heatran provides you with a free switch against opposing Ferrothorn which otherwise your team have a hard time killing it since Metagross isn't your primary switch into Ferrothorn fearing being worn down by Leech Seed.
Last suggest is to use Landorus (Scarf) > Gliscor because can help you to revengekill threat that are annoying for the team like lopunny and Manectric and gives you an intimidate support.

The team in general is weak to Stall build and Gyarados that can destroy the team, lopunny is another important threat that can destroy the team after the kill of landorus. So you can try to use Scarf Keldeo and another stallbreaker > landorus that can improve your mu.

Metagross @ Metagrossite
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Hammer Arm

Keldeo @ Leftovers
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Scald
- Calm Mind
- Secred Sword

Last edited:
Hi. Nice team you have got.

Your team is generally quite solid and doesn't have many major weaknesses other than Serp which Astral mentioned. I'll be trying to improve your match-up against really offensive teams which your team does struggle against due to its lack of speed.

Here are my suggestions:

Hammer Arm > Earthquake
Like Astral already mentioned, Hammer Arm hits most of the things that EQ does already. Hammer Arm also gains the Tough Claws boost and has the added advantage of hitting levitating targets. I advice you to keep pursuit as your team is generally quite weak to Latis and hence Pursuit can greatly benefit your team, also allowing Keldeo to wear down the opposing team more easily.

PhysDef Lando-T > Gliscor

As your team is rather weak to fighting types (namely MLop), I suggest this change. Although Gliscor is immune to status and has reliable recovery, in no way does it pivot into contact moves as well as Lando-T. This thing has the added advantage of forming a VoltTurn core with Rotom-W, allowing you to switch your attackers in rather safely. It also serves as your rocker. This change also gives you another BirdSpam check, allowing you to tackle BirdSpam teams with greater ease.

Scarf Jirachi > Ferrothorn

Now that your team needs some speed control, I'm suggesting Scarf Rachi. Although it might seem weird that you're stacking mons with the exact same typing, it doesn't really matter in this case as you have a decent Dark resist in Keldeo. Rachi preserves Ferro's Steel typing, meaning that you still have 2 good mons to switch into Dracos/Fairies. It is also capable of revenge killing some fast mons which includes Serp. Last but not least, it extends the VoltTurn core already formed by Rotom-W and Lando-T.

Latios > Latias

Your team doesn't need Defog at all, but I want to keep a good Water resist and not change the team too much at the same time. Latios gives you a better offensive presence. As you don't need Defog, I recommend the Roost + 3 Attacks set.

More speed
I suggest you to run 128 Speed EVs on this thing as you are pretty Bisharp-weak. These Speed EVs allow you to outspeed and burn Adamant Bisharp before it lands a hit on you. The rest of the EVs are dumped into HP and PhysDef.

Here are the sets:
Metagross @ Metagrossite
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Hammer Arm
- Pursuit

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge

Jirachi @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Serene Grace
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head
- U-turn
- Fire Punch
- Healing Wish

Latios @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Roost
- Surf

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 132 Def / 128 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

And with that, I'm done with this rate. Hope I helped and have a nice day!

Thanks for the suggestions! I've also been considering celebi over ferrothorn as well, so I'm going to try out a few different things. I'll return with what works best after a few battles.

Only one change I'd make, which is changing Hidden Power Fire to Hidden Power Fighting on Latios
, as your team dislikes Tyranitar
and Bisharp
, and then Hidden Power Fighting can hit Heatran
, and some other common threats.

Love mega metagross he my favorite pokemon too. That aside this is a VERY slow team. Your team is very weak to dragons since your dragon resist is mega metagross (even though not a bad dragon resist, still it shouldn't be your only one). Sub Seed Serp looks very threatening to you as well as you being very stall weak. I would recommend Heatran over defensive lando T. Use the stealth rock magma storm taunt toxic set in my opinion. It also gives you a somewhat decent sab answer outside of sub CM keldeo. Lastly, Gengar looks very annoying, and so does e power mega diancie, so I would change Celebi to maybe iron tail AV torn. Torn T also helps you out against offense, gives you more speed, and a volt turn core. I would have hp ice on torn T also to lure in Thundurus so you dont get 6-0 by NP thundurus. Hope this helped :]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)