Battle Spot Return to competitive Battles. Help required!

I was a fairly frequent poster on Smogon several years ago, posting a number of rate my teams; but I last competitively battled in Gen IV; in 6v6 singles on pokemon showdown. I have taken quite a long break from Pokemon, but have recently acquired a 3DS and US, and wanted to try my hand a Battle Spot singles, a meta of which I have very little experience.
I have been doing quite a bit of research into this team and the current meta to try and create something vaguely competitive, but I imagine there will be a lot that requires improvement. Also to note, I will be breeding/ SRing these pokemon in game; therefore have yet to create the team or test it out much in battling so cannot vouch for how well it has been doing.
I have noticed that Trick Room is a lot more viable option in 3v3 as battles seem to last much shorter and worry of trick room running out is therefore reduced. That being said most 'trick room teams' involve pokemon entirely dependent on trick room; which tend to fail if it is not up; therefore I have created a hybrid trick room with 'mons that will benefit from its bonus but function well without.
Without further ado: (Bold indicates moves I'm unsure about)

Mega Mawile @ Mawilite
252HP 252 Atk 4 Def
Brave
Intimidate/ Huge Power
Swords Dance
Play Rough
Sucker Punch
Fire Fang

Mawile is one of my favourite 'mons and I am so glad it got a mega. Mega Mawile is an absolute monster; having one of the highest base stats in the game following huge power and excellent typing she can devastate teams not prepared. She is also one of the best pokes to strut around in Trick Room, being one of the few who can legitimately sweep the entire team within the 5 turns. The excellent typing means there are numerous options for switch ins, and Intimidate can often force a switch allowing a free turn to get up Swords Dance. Of course before Mawile mega evolves it is fairly fragile, particular to sp atks, so some matches may have limited switch in opportunities.
The moveset is fairly straight forward. SD turns Mawile into an absolute beast. Play Rough is the STAB coverage move (Shame about accuracy). Sucker Punch provides coverage, and also makes Mawile more than viable outside of trick room. Finally Fire Fang is to cover Steel types who switch in, which otherwise would resist anything Mawile had.

Porygon 2@ Eviolite
252HP 252SpAtk 4Def
Quiet
Download
Trick Room
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

Porygon 2 is my first trick room setter and a lovely partner with Mawile. I have opted for an offensive set as once TR is set up really Im wanting to get P2 out of there ASAP either by death or switching. That being said P2 is still bulky AF with Eviolite and can be a good switch in on many of the metas mons. Its my main answer to Garchomp and Mega-Salamence with the ever valuable Ice Beam, as well as helping with bulky waters Mawile has a bad time with. In a pretty offensive team the versatility of P2 makes it a brilliant blanket check to lots of threats, as well as working great under trick room itself. Its Sp Atk also shouldnt be underestimated, dealing big chunks to mons that Mawile can later finish off. This is why I have opted for Download rather than trace.
Again the moveset is relatively self explanatory; Bolt-Beam for its well known brilliant coverage. Shadow Ball is there for further coverage, and threaten off Mega Gengar, and also help deal with the pest that is Mimikyu.

Heatran @ Grassium Z/ Firium Z/ Air Balloon
252 HP 252 SpAtk 4SpDef
Modest
Flame Body
Flamethrower/ Magma Storm
Earth Power
Taunt
Solar Beam/ Flash Cannon

Heatran is a unique and deadly pokemon in the metagame because of its brilliant typing and fantastic stats. It pairs brilliantly with Mawile, absorbing any fire attacks aimed at her and absorbing them; most notably Zapdos/ Blaziken; along with other Heatran. Again I have gone for a fully offensive set to prevent being stalled by mons like Toxapex and Zapdos, and to keep the Momentum going with Trick Room. Not needing to invest in speed also means we can give it a bit of bulk as well.
This is the mon whos moves I am struggling with the most. Grassium + Solar Beam provides a great option to surprise bulky water types that come to laugh at Heatran; whereas Firium Z gives that extra power, and can be paired with Magma Storms to blow through otherwise tricky walls. Taunt is useful as this team can struggle with slow stall teams who themselves can benefit from my trick rooms and become a real threat.

Tapu Bulu @ Choice Band
252 Atk 252 HP 4Def
Adamant
Grassy Surge
Wood Hammer
Superpower
Zen Headbutt
Stone Edge

Tapu Bulu fits perfectly in with the rest of the mons, because of the previous glaring weakness to earthquake users. Grassy Surge shuts this down and pairs wonderfully with Heatran to help him sweep. This is another mon who is powerful both in and out of trick room, you'll see the majority of these invested in speed, but because of trick room availability I can again make him bulkier than you would usually expect. Tapu checks many prominent threats such as Gliscor, Greninja and Tapu Koko, along with being an excellent wall breaker with Choice Band, alongside Mawile. Tapu is my only Choice user, and I needed something with the autopower for reliably hitting mons. Bulu is also an excellent (and my only) counter to Breloom which would otherwise shut down this team very nicely.
Its moves are also a asset, providing great coverage and its unpredictability makes it very hard to switch in to. Wood Hammer is its STAB move of choice dealing huge damage with choice band a grassy surge. Superpower allows Tapu to hit Celesteela for neutral, along with other prominent steel types. Stone Edge hits flying and fire mons such as Volcarona, Mega Salamence and both Charizards. Finally Zen Headbutt is for poison types, most notably Mega Venusaur.

Garchomp@ Focus Sash
252 Atk 252 Spd 4 Def
Jolly
Rough Skin
Swords Dance (?Stealth Rock)
Outrage
Earthquake
Poison Jab

Garchomp is what really sets this team apart from other Trick Room teams; and provides the versatility required. Acting as either a lead to help weaken teams before bringing in a TR pokemon, or not bringing a TR mon altogther and bringing chomp along with e.g. Heatran and Mawile. Also to note that Garchomp does not get on well with Tapus Grassy Surge, so definitely not to be selected in every team, but a real threat if the opponent is not prepared. Garchomp is here to do what garchomp does, outspeed and take out anything not ready for it. If its able to get up SD, even better. Rough Skin is incredibly useful to break focus sashes which can be a massive nuisance to this team. Garchomp is my own focus sash user, as it can really surprise Ice Beam users who think they can get an easy KO; also helps with fellow dragons e.g. Salamence and Garchomp.
I'm considering Stealth Rocks to further deal with focus sash users, but SD seems too valuable. Outrage and Earthquake are fairly self explanatory; which Poison Jab is there for big grass types like Tapu Bulu.

Mimikyu @ Mimikium Z
252Atk 252HP 4Def
Brave
Disguise
Trick Room
Play Rough
Shadow Sneak
Curse

Mimikyu is here as my second TR user and a much more aggressive option. Mimikyu's ability is fantastic being able to take any hit, along with 3 immunities makes it a huge pest. This is a Max Attack Mimi as P2, wanting to set up trick room, deal max damage and get out of there. Curse works fantastically with this as it knocks out Mimi for Mawile to come in with 4 more turns of TR, while threatening the other mon to switch out under a curse and Intimidate. Play Rough is the STAB move of choice with his unique Z move dealing massive damage.
Shadow Sneak is a great priority options to help revenge kill weakened mons.

Thanks for reading! Would really appreciate some feedback before I begin the grind to making this team; below are some potential threats I can envisage but this is also an area I would like some help with!

Threats:
Tapu Koko: If TR isnt up this mon can really cause trouble with my team; dealing with Mawile with ease; and checking Heatran. Garchomp is obviously a great cover, but if hes not brought this can be real trouble.

Tapu Lele: Check Mawile very nicely; its ability is crazy annoying, preventing the priority Sucker Punch that would otherwise OHKO. It can then set up all over my team. Heatran again checks it, but has nothing to reliably take it out.

Focus Sash: Focus Sash users can really rain on mawiles parade. Living an otherwise OHKO and OHKOing back with alot of special attack moves.

Trick Room Teams: Ironically fully dedicated trick room teams can be a real nuisance as they often bring slower pokemon than my hybrid team; taking advantage of my trick room more than my own mons will!

Hi there, i'm glad i can rate a Trick Room team for once!

So let's see. Of course MMawile+p2 is the go-to road when we're talking about Trick Room. Usually the best way to achieve a solid team with this streategy, in this metagame, is to use a two mons core for the TR and the third one which can work outside.

You did a great job choosing Garchomp and Mimikyu, which are both great in the 1vs1 situations and can clean threats or deal with the late game.
I'd start with these two, with some minor changes:

Stealth Rock > Sword Dance.
as you said, breaking sashes is crucial. Specially for Hyper offensive teams such as TR ones.

Rock Tomb > Poison Jab.
As weird as it would sound in a TR team, this tool makes chomp much more lethal in 1v1s, and by the way you always have stuff for fairies with Maw. With it, for instance, you could easily beat Tapu Koko if it somehow has stuff like a Focus Sash or a Shuca Berry.

A bulkier variant of Mimikyu could absolutely help, also since your p2 isn't (that) bulky.
a spread of 228HP / 36 Def / rest in atk would always make it survive a +1 Waterfall from Mega Gyarados, that could be crucial in order to set the trick room.

As for the BuluTran core, that is indeed a pretty solid core, i'd honestly change it since it's more a core used in bulky offensive / balanced strategy.

We could try to mix things up and add another core with another mega. For example Mega CharY works pretty well with Garchomp and Mimikyu, it usually checks pretty well opposing TR mons too, that are as you said problematic. With it Tapu Koko could be a good add, since your team is pretty weak to Sleep strategies to be honest.

Charizard-Mega-Y @ Charizardite Y
Ability: Drought
Level: 50
EVs: 156 HP / 108 Def / 100 SpA / 4 SpD / 140 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flame Charge
- Flamethrower
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Air Slash

This spread can work inside the Trick Room, usually underspeeding most of the top used megas, or outside of it if you land a Flame Charge. Earthquake over Flame Charge is an option too.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Level: 50
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Substitute

This is a set that i've used myself in a TR team a lot. Sub helps you to scout stuff like Lando's U-turn and keep the momentum, where its terrain helps vs stuff that could otherwise threaten your TR core. It's also a pretty strong 1v1 mon too.

So yeah, let us know how it goes :]

Thanks so much for the feedback.

Really like the look of the Char, was considering adding a second mega and that set looks like it will fit in really well.
Please could you explain the EV spread? I’m sure there is a specific reason but would be good to know. Would more Sp Atk investment not be desirable?

As for the Tapu Koko, that looks promising and I will be sure to test it out. Unfortunately I don’t really have the time or patience to SR for hidden powers. Would Grass Knot be a reasonable replacement? I appreciate it leaves a Lando and Chomp weakness but should be able to get hidden power ice on Zard though.

Thanks again for the rate!

Last edited:
Reactions: gum
Thanks so much for the feedback.

Really like the look of the Char, was considering adding a second mega and that set looks like it will fit in really well.
Please could you explain the EV spread? I’m sure there is a specific reason but would be good to know. Would more Sp Atk investment not be desirable?

As for the Tapu Koko, that looks promising and I will be sure to test it out. Unfortunately I don’t really have the time or patience to SR for hidden powers. Would Grass Knot be a reasonable replacement? I appreciate it leaves a Lando and Chomp weakness but should be able to get hidden power ice on Zard though.

Thanks again for the rate!
So, we already talked about Chary's spread in pms

As for Koko, you could try with a double STAB Tbolt/DGleam and Grass Knot with them. It would indeed, as you said, leave you a little bit vulnerable to lando, and to MMence setups. For this reasons you could use a Choice Specs instead of the Z Move to mitigate.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)