OU Reuniclus

GMars

It's ya boy GEEEEEEEEMARS
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

[OVERVIEW]

Excellent bulk, Magic Guard, and access to Recover make Reuniclus an excellent Calm Mind user. This is compounded further by a strong STAB Psyshock, which enables Reuniclus to break past Chansey and win most Calm Mind wars. However, its extremely low Speed stat forces it to almost always take a hit before boosting or attacking. Alternatively, Reuniclus can use its low Speed to its advantage through an offensive Trick Room set sporting unresisted coverage, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. While its Psychic typing lets Reuniclus check most Psychic- and Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Mega Medicham, it leaves Reuniclus weak to the prevalent Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks in the meta. In addition, certain Psychic-types, such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, can carry coverage able to severely damage Reuniclus, while some Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion have secondary STAB moves strong enough to muscle past it. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offensive or defensive teams.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Psyshock
move 3: Shadow Ball / Focus Blast
move 4: Recover
item: Leftovers
ability: Magic Guard
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows Reuniclus to boost its Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is Reuniclus's main STAB attack, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey as well as other Calm Mind users such as Clefable. Shadow Ball is used to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types. Focus Blast can be used over Shadow Ball to let Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps. 252 HP EVs and 212 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus sizable physical bulk, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 44 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Toxapex, letting Reuniclus attack it before it has a chance to use Haze, as well as Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Reuniclus can be used early-game to check certain threats, such as Mega Medicham. However, avoid setting up early-game. Wait until Reuniclus's checks are significantly weakened. Remove Dark-types before setting up if using Shadow Ball. If using Focus Blast, you can use Reuniclus to lure in Dark-types and attempt to hit them on the switch in. If possible, use Recover liberally to stay out of range of a special critical hit. Set up versus exploitable Choice-locked Pokemon or otherwise passive Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users. Screech or Groundium Z + Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, threaten offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. Tapu Lele is another good partner, as it is able to pressure stall and power up Reuniclus's STAB move, letting Reuniclus punch holes even before obtaining a Calm Mind boost.

[SET]
name: Offensive Trick Room
move 1: Trick Room
move 2: Psychic / Psyshock
move 3: Focus Blast
move 4: Shadow Ball
item: Life Orb
nature: Quiet
evs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Reuniclus will almost always move first under the effects of Trick Room due to its low Speed stat, causing it to become a devastating late-game sweeper after using the move. Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB attack, though Psyshock could be used to aid in finishing off special walls in exchange for a bit of power. With maximum investment and a Life Orb, either move deals heavy damage to unresisted targets. Focus Blast is necessary coverage, allowing Reuniclus to OHKO most relevant Dark-types, such as Greninja and Tyranitar, as well as deal heavy damage to Steel-types. Shadow Ball enables Reuniclus to break past the Psychic-types that would otherwise halt its sweep such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is used to give all of Reuniclus's moves a necessary power boost while still allowing Reuniclus to switch between attacks. Magic Guard negates Life Orb recoil, allowing Reuniclus to more comfortably sustain damage while setting up Trick Room. 252 HP EVs contribute to Reuniclus's bulk, allowing it to easily set up Trick Room and potentially avoid a faint if a KO is missed during a sweep. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Quiet nature allow Reuniclus to hit as hard as possible, ensuring it nets as many KOs as possible under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs in conjunction with the Quiet nature make Reuniclus as slow as possible, allowing it to go first the majority of the time when under the effects of Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counters removed. Stack entry hazards early-game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a free switch in to ensure it has enough HP to set up Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premier partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. Mega Mawile makes another great partner. It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attacks, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes setters like Greninja and Ferrothorn do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Life Orb could be used over Leftovers on Calm Mind Reuniclus to give extra power and require fewer boosts to begin sweeping. Alternatively, a Colbur Berry could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to alleviate its weakness to Dark-types, allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam, while a Kee Berry could be used to create additional physical bulk. However, the passive recovery Leftovers provides is typically preferred. Toxic could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to break past Unaware users. Other options include Grass Knot for Quagsire and Electrium Z + Thunder for Pyukumuku. Gigavolt Havoc also has the benefit of blowing through Tapu Fini and certain Steel-types, such as Celesteela. Unfortunately, all of these options sacrifice otherwise necessary coverage. A Choice Specs set could be run to take advantage of Reuniclus's high Special Attack stat, turning it into a wallbreaker. This set could also use Future Sight to pressure the opponent's switches two turns down the road, but the strategy is hindered by Reuniclus's extremely low speed. An Assault Vest could be run with Regenerator, turning Reuniclus into a bulky pivot. However, this set is mostly outclassed by other pivots such as Tangrowth.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, such as Greninja, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U, are immune to Reuniclus's STAB attack, forcing it to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast. In addition, if Calm Mind Reuniclus opts to run Shadow Ball over Focus Blast, the majority of Dark-types can easily beat it one-on-one.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Gengar and Alolan Marowak offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mega Sableye is a big threat, as it completely walls Focus Blast Calm Mind Reuniclus and removes its passive recovery with Knock Off. Calm Mind variants of Mega Sableye can also set up alongside Reuniclus and are immune to Psyshock.

**Bug-types**: Bug-type Pokemon such as Mega Scizor force Reuniclus out with U-turn, gaining momentum in the process.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Tapu Fini shut down Reuniclus's Recover and Calm Mind, allowing it to be worn down and beaten, or Trick Room, preventing a sweep.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unless Reuniclus runs Toxic or a rare coverage move, Unaware Pokemon such as Clefable and Quagsire are able to reliably wall and PP stall Calm Mind Reuniclus or otherwise have enough bulk and recovery to beat Trick Room Reuniclus.

Last edited:
I would make OTR it's own set rather than being OO. I've used it a good amount and had good results. Considering the tier is pretty offensive and faster paced, OTR has a enough of a niche in my eyes to warrant a set.

This goes for both sets but talk about the sorts of teams it fits on because it is kind of hard to build with and around at this point in time. So I'd like to see the team options expanded a little more.

Somewhere in there mention Spikes as as something that benefits Reuniclus in terms of helping wearing down it's checks/counters as well as putting everything in range of all its moves.

Mega Scizor is particular can also used Swords Dance to setup on Reuniclus.
This would be fine normally but SD Mega Scizor is legitimately non-existent, therefore, I don't think its worth a mention.

Looks good otherwise. QC 1/3

GMars

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I would make OTR it's own set rather than being OO. I've used it a good amount and had good results. Considering the tier is pretty offensive and faster paced, OTR has a enough of a niche in my eyes to warrant a set.

This goes for both sets but talk about the sorts of teams it fits on because it is kind of hard to build with and around at this point in time. So I'd like to see the team options expanded a little more.

Somewhere in there mention Spikes as as something that benefits Reuniclus in terms of helping wearing down it's checks/counters as well as putting everything in range of all its moves.

This would be fine normally but SD Mega Scizor is legitimately non-existent, therefore, I don't think its worth a mention.

Looks good otherwise. QC 1/3
Thank you! Updated, ready for QC 2.

Edit: OTR moved to first set from QC request.

Last edited:

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
* Entry hazards are almost a requirement. Spikes in particular do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types such as Magearna and Mega Mawile.
Mention Spike users (Greninja(s), Ferrothorn).

If you can during the writeup I would try to combine some of the information in Offensive Trick Room. You repeat Tapu Lele and Mega Mawile often, and while I understand both are stupidly effective for Reuniclus I think there's other ways to discuss it.You definitely have the right idea with Reuniclus in mind, though, so don't let it deter you too much.

I think OO really needs actual viable options within it. Acid Armor sounds really shaky even though the lack of Dark-types exists per se (I mean Greninjas are alive and kicking anyway) and it leaves Reuniclus even more prone to Taunt. Here's how I would list it:

- Life Orb being potentially useful on Calm Mind, though obviously the cost of extra durability from Leftovers is noticeable.
- Thunder with Electrium Z (Gigavolt Havoc) to blow through Steels (Celesteela mostly).
- Grass Knot
- Kee Berry
- Choice Specs
- Regenerator (but obviously dote on how it's outclassed by Magic Guard most of the time)

For Checks and Counters I think that Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-types are good enough. You can keep Unaware, and I guess you could also keep Taunt. Encore is super rare (it's like... Shuckle atm) so I wouldn't really bother with it.

2/3

GMars

Not QC.

Mention Signal Beam in OO. It hits Hoopa-U reliable as well as other Dark types.

Nice job!
A bit iffy on signal beam since you need the power of Focus Blast for Steel-types on the OTR set and on Calm Mind you can't ohko greninja or weavile on the switchin and only do about 25 to ttar so you definitely need duggy. Gave it a quick mention in OO under "allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam," for now

Gary

Can be abrasive at times (no joke)
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm not really a fan of OTR in general, and other members of QC agree with me that it's probably better in OO, but it's fine if it has a set I guess. Just make CM the first set.

Because of this, make sure you open up about its CM set in the overview instead of the OTR set, because it's the main reason to use Reuniclus in the meta; a fat win con that tears apart teams late-game while also checking stuff like Medi.

In addition, most Psychic- and Fighting-types have coverage able to seriously damage Reuniclus, such as Shadow Ball, Knock Off, or secondary STAB. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offensive or defensive teams.
Instead of mentioning the coverage moves, I would mention the Pokemon instead, like Lele and Zam. There aren't too many Fighting-types being used atm that carry Knock Off, so I guess the only ones worth mentioning are Keldeo and Terrakion being able to potentially muscle through it with secondary STAB.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Reuniclus will almost always move first under the effects of Trick Room due to its low Speed stat, causing it to become a devastating late-game sweeper after using the move. Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB attack, though Psyshock could be used to aid in finishing off special walls in exchange for a bit of power. With maximum investment and a Life Orb, either move deals heavy damage to unresisted targets. Focus Blast is necessary coverage, allowing Reuniclus to OHKO most relevant Dark-Types, such as Greninja and Tyranitar, as well as deal heavy damage to Steel-types. Shadow Ball enables Reuniclus to break past the Psychic-types that would otherwise halt its sweep. (mention examples)

Set Details
========

Life Orb is used to give all of Reuniclus's moves a necessary power boost while still allowing Reuniclus to switch between attacks. Magic Guard negates Life Orb recoil, allowing Reuniclus to more comfortably sustain damage while setting up Trick Room. 252 HP EVs contribute to Reuniclus's bulk, allowing it to easily set up Trick Room and potentially avoid a faint if a KO is missed during a sweep. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Quiet Nature allow Reuniclus to hit as hard as possible, ensuring it nets as many KO's as possible under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs in conjunction with the Quiet Nature make Reuniclus as slow as possible, allowing it to go first the majority of the time when under the effects of Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counter removed. Stack entry hazards early game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a fainted teammate (poorly worded, just say "free switch-in" or something) to ensure it has enough HP to setup Trick Room. If possible, try to put Dark-types in range of Shadow Ball so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk missing Focus Blast. (eh kind of an awkward point to mention, I wouldn't really bother)

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premiere partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. In turn, Trick Room support Tapu Lele, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. Mega Mawile makes another great partner for similar reasons. (kinda shaky because there are plenty of Pokemon on offense that are still slower than Lele, so it's unreliable. Just leave it out) It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attack, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes in particular do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Good Spikes users to pair with Reuniclus include Greninja and Ferrothorn. (mention reasonings) Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[SET]
move 3: Shadow Ball / Focus Blast (swapped the order)
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Reuniclus to boost Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits on the physical side, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey, as well as other CM users such as Clefable. Focus blast lets Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Shadow Ball can be used over Focus Blast to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types (mention targets of Shadow Ball, mainly Meta, Lele, and Mew). Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Swapped the order with Shadow Ball and Focus because the meta is centralized around metagross and letting it have absolutely free switch-ins is complete aids, as well as Lele and Jirachi. A lot of Protean Gren sets don't even carry Dark Pulse anymore, so they're going to have a hard time breaking you unless they're Ash. T-Tar is aso a lot less common atm. It sets up on a lot of Steels anyway, so it's not like it needs to kill them right away with Focus. Darks in general are a lot less common than they were in ORAS. Make sure you talk about Shadow Ball before Focus to go along with this.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps (also nice for not giving a fuck about Pex's T-Spikes). 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature give Reuniclus maximum bulk on the physical side, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to setup on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increase Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid setting up early game. Wait until Reuniclus's checks are significantly weakened. Use Focus Blast on predicted Dark-type switch-ins or otherwise work to remove them if using Shadow Ball. If possible, use Recover liberally to stay out of range of a special critical hit. Setup versus exploitable choice-locked Pokemon or otherwise passive Pokemon.

Same thing here. Mention Shadow Ball before Focus. Talk about how it can be used to check certain threats early game instead of setting up, mainly Mega Medi which is like, really huge for defensive teams.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users (mention more examples). Screech or Z-Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn or Bug Bite, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. (Mention Lele as a partner, as it can help a lot vs stall which is very troubling for Reuniclus to break and can power up its STAB which can be useful even for muscling through stuff even without a boost)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, Weavile, Greninja and Hoopa-U, are immune to Reuniclus's main STAB attack, forcing it to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast. In addition, if Calm Mind Reuniclus opts to run Shadow Ball over Focus Blast, the majority of Dark-types can easily beat it 1v1.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mention how Gengar can offensively pressure it too. Mention Mega Sableye in here, because it completely walls Reuniclus and just Knocks it off and the somewhat rarer CM variant obviously is immune to Psyshock. It's easily one of the best Reuniclus counters.
**Bug-types**: Bug-type Pokemon such as Mega Scizor force Reuniclus out with U-turn, gaining momentum in the process.

**Taunt**: Taunt users such as Tapu Fini shut down Reuniclus's Recover and Calm Mind, allowing it to be worn down and beaten, or Trick Room, preventing a sweep.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unless Reuniclus runs Toxic or a rare coverage move, Unaware Pokemon are able to reliably wall and PP stall Calm Mind Reuniclus or otherwise have enough bulk and recovery to beat Trick Room Reuniclus. (mention examples)

QC 3/3 Good job. Just remember to switch the sets.

GMars

I'm not really a fan of OTR in general, and other members of QC agree with me that it's probably better in OO, but it's fine if it has a set I guess. Just make CM the first set.

Because of this, make sure you open up about its CM set in the overview instead of the OTR set, because it's the main reason to use Reuniclus in the meta; a fat win con that tears apart teams late-game while also checking stuff like Medi.

Instead of mentioning the coverage moves, I would mention the Pokemon instead, like Lele and Zam. There aren't too many Fighting-types being used atm that carry Knock Off, so I guess the only ones worth mentioning are Keldeo and Terrakion being able to potentially muscle through it with secondary STAB.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Reuniclus will almost always move first under the effects of Trick Room due to its low Speed stat, causing it to become a devastating late-game sweeper after using the move. Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB attack, though Psyshock could be used to aid in finishing off special walls in exchange for a bit of power. With maximum investment and a Life Orb, either move deals heavy damage to unresisted targets. Focus Blast is necessary coverage, allowing Reuniclus to OHKO most relevant Dark-Types, such as Greninja and Tyranitar, as well as deal heavy damage to Steel-types. Shadow Ball enables Reuniclus to break past the Psychic-types that would otherwise halt its sweep. (mention examples)

Set Details
========

Life Orb is used to give all of Reuniclus's moves a necessary power boost while still allowing Reuniclus to switch between attacks. Magic Guard negates Life Orb recoil, allowing Reuniclus to more comfortably sustain damage while setting up Trick Room. 252 HP EVs contribute to Reuniclus's bulk, allowing it to easily set up Trick Room and potentially avoid a faint if a KO is missed during a sweep. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Quiet Nature allow Reuniclus to hit as hard as possible, ensuring it nets as many KO's as possible under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs in conjunction with the Quiet Nature make Reuniclus as slow as possible, allowing it to go first the majority of the time when under the effects of Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counter removed. Stack entry hazards early game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a fainted teammate (poorly worded, just say "free switch-in" or something) to ensure it has enough HP to setup Trick Room. If possible, try to put Dark-types in range of Shadow Ball so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk missing Focus Blast. (eh kind of an awkward point to mention, I wouldn't really bother)

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premiere partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. In turn, Trick Room support Tapu Lele, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. Mega Mawile makes another great partner for similar reasons. (kinda shaky because there are plenty of Pokemon on offense that are still slower than Lele, so it's unreliable. Just leave it out) It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attack, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes in particular do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Good Spikes users to pair with Reuniclus include Greninja and Ferrothorn. (mention reasonings) Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[SET]
move 3: Shadow Ball / Focus Blast (swapped the order)

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind is the crux of the set, allowing Reuniclus to boost Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits on the physical side, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey, as well as other CM users such as Clefable. Focus blast lets Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Shadow Ball can be used over Focus Blast to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types (mention targets of Shadow Ball, mainly Meta, Lele, and Mew). Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Swapped the order with Shadow Ball and Focus because the meta is centralized around metagross and letting it have absolutely free switch-ins is complete aids, as well as Lele and Jirachi. A lot of Protean Gren sets don't even carry Dark Pulse anymore, so they're going to have a hard time breaking you unless they're Ash. T-Tar is aso a lot less common atm. It sets up on a lot of Steels anyway, so it's not like it needs to kill them right away with Focus. Darks in general are a lot less common than they were in ORAS. Make sure you talk about Shadow Ball before Focus to go along with this.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps (also nice for not giving a fuck about Pex's T-Spikes). 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold Nature give Reuniclus maximum bulk on the physical side, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to setup on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increase Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Avoid setting up early game. Wait until Reuniclus's checks are significantly weakened. Use Focus Blast on predicted Dark-type switch-ins or otherwise work to remove them if using Shadow Ball. If possible, use Recover liberally to stay out of range of a special critical hit. Setup versus exploitable choice-locked Pokemon or otherwise passive Pokemon.

Same thing here. Mention Shadow Ball before Focus. Talk about how it can be used to check certain threats early game instead of setting up, mainly Mega Medi which is like, really huge for defensive teams.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users (mention more examples). Screech or Z-Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn or Bug Bite, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. (Mention Lele as a partner, as it can help a lot vs stall which is very troubling for Reuniclus to break and can power up its STAB which can be useful even for muscling through stuff even without a boost)

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, such as Tyranitar, Weavile, Greninja and Hoopa-U, are immune to Reuniclus's main STAB attack, forcing it to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast. In addition, if Calm Mind Reuniclus opts to run Shadow Ball over Focus Blast, the majority of Dark-types can easily beat it 1v1.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mention how Gengar can offensively pressure it too. Mention Mega Sableye in here, because it completely walls Reuniclus and just Knocks it off and the somewhat rarer CM variant obviously is immune to Psyshock. It's easily one of the best Reuniclus counters.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unless Reuniclus runs Toxic or a rare coverage move, Unaware Pokemon are able to reliably wall and PP stall Calm Mind Reuniclus or otherwise have enough bulk and recovery to beat Trick Room Reuniclus. (mention examples)

QC 3/3 Good job. Just remember to switch the sets.
Thank you - updated and GP ready.

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

GP 1/2
well written, thanks!
[OVERVIEW]

Excellent bulk, Magic Guard, and access to Recover make Reuniclus an excellent Calm Mind user. A strong STAB Psyshock enables Reuniclus to break past Chansey and win most Calm Mind wars. However, its extremely low Speed stat forces it to almost always take a hit before boosting or attacking. Alternatively, Reuniclus can use its low Speed to its advantage through an offensive Trick Room set sporting unresisted coverage, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. While its Psychic typing lets Reuniclus check most Psychic- and Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Mega Medicham, it leaves Reuniclus weak to the prevalent Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks in the meta. In addition, certain Psychic-types, such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, can carry coverage able to severely damage Reuniclus, while some Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion have secondary STAB moves strong enough to muscle past it. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offenisve or defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows is the crux of the set, allowing (this phrase is banned in C&C haha) Reuniclus to boost its Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits on the physical defense side, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey as well as other Calm Mind users such as Clefable. Shadow Ball is used to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types. Focus Blast can be used over Shadow Ball to let Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps. 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus maximum physical bulk on the physical side, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Reuniclus can be used early-game to check certain threats, such as Mega Medicham. However, avoid setting up early-game. Wait until Reuniclus's checks are significantly weakened. Remove Dark-types before setting up if using Shadow Ball. If using Focus Blast, you can use Reuniclus to lure in Dark-types and attempt to hit them on the switch in. If possible, use Recover liberally to stay out of range of a special critical hit. Set up versus exploitable Choice-locked Pokemon or otherwise passive Pokemon.

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users. Screech or Groundium Z + Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, threaten offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. Tapu Lele is another good partner, (add comma) as it is able to pressure stall and power up Reuniclus's STAB move, letting Reuniclus punch holes even before obtaining a Calm Mind boost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Reuniclus will almost always move first under the effects of Trick Room due to its low Speed stat, causing it to become a devastating late-game sweeper after using the move. Psychic is Reuniclus's main STAB attack, though Psyshock could be used to aid in finishing off special walls in exchange for a bit of power. With maximum investment and a Life Orb, either move deals heavy damage to unresisted targets. Focus Blast is necessary coverage, allowing Reuniclus to OHKO most relevant Dark-types, such as Greninja and Tyranitar, as well as deal heavy damage to Steel-types. Shadow Ball enables Reuniclus to break past the Psychic-types that would otherwise halt its sweep such as Mega Metagross and Jirachi.

Set Details
========

Life Orb is used to give all of Reuniclus's moves a necessary power boost while still allowing Reuniclus to switch between attacks. Magic Guard negates Life Orb recoil, allowing Reuniclus to more comfortably sustain damage while setting up Trick Room. 252 HP EVs contribute to Reuniclus's bulk, allowing it to easily set up Trick Room and potentially avoid a faint if a KO is missed during a sweep. 252 Special Attack EVs with a Quiet nature allow Reuniclus to hit as hard as possible, ensuring it nets as many KOs as possible under Trick Room. 0 Speed IVs in conjunction with the Quiet nature make Reuniclus as slow as possible, allowing it to go first the majority of the time when under the effects of Trick Room.

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counter(s?) removed. Stack entry hazards early-game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a free switch in to ensure it has enough HP to set up Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premiere premier partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. Mega Mawile makes another great partner. It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attacks, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes setters like Greninja and Ferrothorn do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Life Orb could be used over Leftovers on Calm Mind Reuniclus to give extra power and require fewer less boosts to begin sweeping. Alternatively, a Colbur Berry could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to alleviate its weakness to Dark-types, allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam, while a Kee Berry could be used to create additional physical bulk. However, the passive recovery Leftovers provides is typically preferred. Toxic could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to break past Unaware users. Other options include Grass Knot for Quagsire and Electrium Z Thunder for Pyukumuku. Electrium Z Thunder also has the benefit of blowing through Tapu Fini and certain Steel-types, such as Celesteela. Unfortunately, all of these options sacrifice otherwise necessary coverage. A Choice Specs set could be run to take advantage of abuse Reuniclus's high Special Attack stat, turning it into a wallbreaker. This set could also use Future Sight to pressure the opponent's switches two turns down the road, but the strategy is hindered by Reuniclus's extremely low speed. An Assault Vest could be run with Regenerator, turning Reuniclus into a bulky pivot. However, this set is mostly outclassed by other pivots such as Tangrowth.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Dark-types**: Dark-types, such as Greninja, Tyranitar, Weavile, and Hoopa-U, are immune to Reuniclus's STAB attack, forcing it to rely on the inaccurate Focus Blast. In addition, if Calm Mind Reuniclus opts to run Shadow Ball over Focus Blast, the majority of Dark-types can easily beat it one-on-one.

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Gengar and Alolan Marowak offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mega Sableye is a big threat, (add comma) as it completely walls Focus Blast Calm Mind Reuniclus and removes its passive recovery with Knock Off. Calm Mind variants of Mega Sableye can also set up alongside Reuniclus and are immune to Psyshock.

**Unaware Pokemon**: Unless Reuniclus runs Toxic or a rare coverage move, Unaware Pokemon such as Clefable and Quagsire are able to reliably wall and PP stall Calm Mind Reuniclus or otherwise have enough bulk and recovery to beat Trick Room Reuniclus.

GMars

GP 1/2
well written, thanks!
[OVERVIEW]

Excellent bulk, Magic Guard, and access to Recover make Reuniclus an excellent Calm Mind user. A strong STAB Psyshock enables Reuniclus to break past Chansey and win most Calm Mind wars. However, its extremely low Speed stat forces it to almost always take a hit before boosting or attacking. Alternatively, Reuniclus can use its low Speed to its advantage through an offensive Trick Room set sporting unresisted coverage, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. While its Psychic typing lets Reuniclus check most Psychic- and Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Mega Medicham, it leaves Reuniclus weak to the prevalent Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks in the meta. In addition, certain Psychic-types, such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, can carry coverage able to severely damage Reuniclus, while some Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion have secondary STAB moves strong enough to muscle past it. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offenisve or defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows is the crux of the set, allowing (this phrase is banned in C&C haha) Reuniclus to boost its Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits on the physical defense side, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey as well as other Calm Mind users such as Clefable. Shadow Ball is used to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types. Focus Blast can be used over Shadow Ball to let Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps. 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus maximum physical bulk on the physical side, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users. Screech or Groundium Z + Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, threaten offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. Tapu Lele is another good partner, (add comma) as it is able to pressure stall and power up Reuniclus's STAB move, letting Reuniclus punch holes even before obtaining a Calm Mind boost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counter(s?) removed. Stack entry hazards early-game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a free switch in to ensure it has enough HP to set up Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premiere premier partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. Mega Mawile makes another great partner. It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attacks, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes setters like Greninja and Ferrothorn do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Life Orb could be used over Leftovers on Calm Mind Reuniclus to give extra power and require fewer less boosts to begin sweeping. Alternatively, a Colbur Berry could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to alleviate its weakness to Dark-types, allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam, while a Kee Berry could be used to create additional physical bulk. However, the passive recovery Leftovers provides is typically preferred. Toxic could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to break past Unaware users. Other options include Grass Knot for Quagsire and Electrium Z Thunder for Pyukumuku. Electrium Z Thunder also has the benefit of blowing through Tapu Fini and certain Steel-types, such as Celesteela. Unfortunately, all of these options sacrifice otherwise necessary coverage. A Choice Specs set could be run to take advantage of abuse Reuniclus's high Special Attack stat, turning it into a wallbreaker. This set could also use Future Sight to pressure the opponent's switches two turns down the road, but the strategy is hindered by Reuniclus's extremely low speed. An Assault Vest could be run with Regenerator, turning Reuniclus into a bulky pivot. However, this set is mostly outclassed by other pivots such as Tangrowth.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Gengar and Alolan Marowak offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mega Sableye is a big threat, (add comma) as it completely walls Focus Blast Calm Mind Reuniclus and removes its passive recovery with Knock Off. Calm Mind variants of Mega Sableye can also set up alongside Reuniclus and are immune to Psyshock.

Thank you, implemented and ready for GP 2.

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader

remove
add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Excellent bulk, Magic Guard, and access to Recover make Reuniclus an excellent Calm Mind user. This is compounded further by a strong STAB Psyshock, (AC) which enables Reuniclus to break past Chansey and win most Calm Mind wars. However, its extremely low Speed stat forces it to almost always take a hit before boosting or attacking. Alternatively, Reuniclus can use its low Speed to its advantage through an offensive Trick Room set sporting unresisted coverage, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. While its Psychic typing lets Reuniclus check most Psychic- and Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Mega Medicham, it leaves Reuniclus weak to the prevalent Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks in the meta. In addition, certain Psychic-types, such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, can carry coverage able to severely damage Reuniclus, while some Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion have secondary STAB moves strong enough to muscle past it. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offenisve offensive or defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows Reuniclus to boost its Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits physical defense, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey as well as other Calm Mind users such as Clefable. Shadow Ball is used to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types. Focus Blast can be used over Shadow Ball to let Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps. 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus maximum physical bulk, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users. Screech or Groundium Z + Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, threaten offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. Tapu Lele is another good partner, as it is able to pressure stall and power up Reuniclus's STAB move, letting Reuniclus punch holes even before obtaining a Calm Mind boost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

This variant of Reuniclus lacks recovery. As such, avoid bringing it in until late-game when its checks have been sufficiently weakened and its counters removed. Stack entry hazards early-game while forcing in as much of the opposing team as possible to chip away at them. Late-game, bring in Reuniclus off a free switch in to ensure it has enough HP to set up Trick Room.

Team Options
========

Tapu Lele is Trick Room Reuniclus's premier partner. Psychic Terrain boosts Reuniclus's STAB move and protects it from Sucker Punch and Fake Out, which could otherwise waste a valuable turn of Trick Room. Tapu Lele also breaks stall for Reuniclus. Mega Mawile makes another great partner. It can pivot in on Dark- and Bug-type attacks, benefits from Trick Room, and can wallbreak. Other wallbreakers such as Hoopa-U break down Reuniclus's checks, allowing it to sweep late-game. Pokemon that can break through stall teams, such as Alolan Marowak, are necessary. Entry hazards are another requirement. Spikes setters like Greninja and Ferrothorn do a great job weakening certain bulky Steel-types not weak to Focus Blast, such as Magearna and Mega Mawile. Finally, Dugtrio can trap Chansey, which counters this variant of Reuniclus, and certain Dark-types such as Tyranitar so Reuniclus doesn't have to risk Focus Blast. Dugtrio can also force damage on trapped Pokemon if it is unable to KO them, potenitally putting them in range of Reuniclus's attacks. Magnezone could also be used to trap troubling Steel-types, such as Celesteela.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Life Orb could be used over Leftovers on Calm Mind Reuniclus to give extra power and require fewer boosts to begin sweeping. Alternatively, a Colbur Berry could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to alleviate its weakness to Dark-types, allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam, while a Kee Berry could be used to create additional physical bulk. However, the passive recovery Leftovers provides is typically preferred. Toxic could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to break past Unaware users. Other options include Grass Knot for Quagsire and Electrium Z + Thunder for Pyukumuku. Electrium Z Thunder Gigavolt Havoc also has the benefit of blowing through Tapu Fini and certain Steel-types, such as Celesteela. Unfortunately, all of these options sacrifice otherwise necessary coverage. A Choice Specs set could be run to take advantage of Reuniclus's high Special Attack stat, turning it into a wallbreaker. This set could also use Future Sight to pressure the opponent's switches two turns down the road, but the strategy is hindered by Reuniclus's extremely low speed. An Assault Vest could be run with Regenerator, turning Reuniclus into a bulky pivot. However, this set is mostly outclassed by other pivots such as Tangrowth.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Ghost-types**: Ghost-types such as Gengar and Alolan Marowak offensively threaten Reuniclus. Alolan Marowak in particular forces Reuniclus out with Shadow Bone, a difficult move to switch into, pressuring Reuniclus's team. Mega Sableye is a big threat, as it completely walls Focus Blast Calm Mind Reuniclus and removes its passive recovery with Knock Off. Calm Mind variants of Mega Sableye can also set up alongside Reuniclus and are immune to Psyshock.

Last edited:

GMars

remove add / fix (comments); (AC=add comma; RC=remove comma; SC=semicolon)
GP 2/2
[OVERVIEW]

Excellent bulk, Magic Guard, and access to Recover make Reuniclus an excellent Calm Mind user. This is compounded further by a strong STAB Psyshock, (AC) which enables Reuniclus to break past Chansey and win most Calm Mind wars. However, its extremely low Speed stat forces it to almost always take a hit before boosting or attacking. Alternatively, Reuniclus can use its low Speed to its advantage through an offensive Trick Room set sporting unresisted coverage, allowing it to tear through offensive teams. While its Psychic typing lets Reuniclus check most Psychic- and Fighting-type Pokemon, such as Mega Medicham, it leaves Reuniclus weak to the prevalent Dark-, Ghost-, and Bug-type attacks in the meta. In addition, certain Psychic-types, such as Tapu Lele and Mega Alakazam, can carry coverage able to severely damage Reuniclus, while some Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion have secondary STAB moves strong enough to muscle past it. Despite these flaws, Reuniclus can shine in the OU tier by taking advantage of either offenisve offensive or defensive teams.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Calm Mind allows Reuniclus to boost its Special Attack and Speical Defense. After a boost, Reuniclus will be extremely bulky and have drastically improved offensive presence. Psyshock is this variant of Reuniclus's main STAB attack. It hits physical defense, enabling Reuniclus to break past special walls such as Chansey as well as other Calm Mind users such as Clefable. Shadow Ball is used to deal heavy damage to Psychic-types in exchange for the ability to hit Dark-types. Focus Blast can be used over Shadow Ball to let Reuniclus take on Dark- and Steel-types. Most importantly, when unboosted, it is able to OHKO Greninja and Weavile on the switch as well as Tyranitar after Stealth Rock damage. Recover is used to keep Reuniclus healthy, allowing it to reliably get multiple Calm Mind boosts and counter Mega Medicham.

Set Details
========

Magic Guard makes Reuniclus immune to Toxic, Leech Seed, entry hazards, and all other forms of passive damage. Immunity to Toxic in particular is amazing for a Calm Mind user, as the amount of damage Toxic deals increases every turn and can put a stop to sweeps. 252 HP EVs and 252 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus maximum physical bulk, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 4 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Calm Mind Reuniclus fits well on teams that otherwise have a good matchup versus offense. Good teammates to fill this role are Greninja, Tapu Koko, and Mega Metagross. Dugtrio is able to trap Tyranitar and other Pursuit users. Screech or Groundium Z + Earthquake Dugtrio in particular are also able to trap Unaware Clefable. Magnezone can trap Mega Scizor, which threatens Reuniclus with U-turn, and Skarmory, which could otherwise phaze Reuniclus out with Whirlwind. If running Focus Blast over Shadow Ball, Pursuit trappers can be useful to remove or weaken troublesome Psychic-types such as Jirachi. Good Pursuit trappers include Mega Metagross, Weavile, and Tyranitar. Answers to Dark- and Ghost-types are necessary. Magearna makes a good partner for this reason, while Fighting-types such as Keldeo and Terrakion are solid answers to Dark-types. Spikes support is very useful for weakening grounded checks to Reuniclus. Greninja is able to pressure Mega Sableye, threaten offensive teams, and lay Spikes, making it an exceptional partner. Tapu Lele is another good partner, as it is able to pressure stall and power up Reuniclus's STAB move, letting Reuniclus punch holes even before obtaining a Calm Mind boost.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

A Life Orb could be used over Leftovers on Calm Mind Reuniclus to give extra power and require fewer boosts to begin sweeping. Alternatively, a Colbur Berry could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to alleviate its weakness to Dark-types, allowing more freedom in using Focus Blast or potentially Signal Beam, while a Kee Berry could be used to create additional physical bulk. However, the passive recovery Leftovers provides is typically preferred. Toxic could be used on Calm Mind Reuniclus to break past Unaware users. Other options include Grass Knot for Quagsire and Electrium Z + Thunder for Pyukumuku. Electrium Z Thunder Gigavolt Havoc also has the benefit of blowing through Tapu Fini and certain Steel-types, such as Celesteela. Unfortunately, all of these options sacrifice otherwise necessary coverage. A Choice Specs set could be run to take advantage of Reuniclus's high Special Attack stat, turning it into a wallbreaker. This set could also use Future Sight to pressure the opponent's switches two turns down the road, but the strategy is hindered by Reuniclus's extremely low speed. An Assault Vest could be run with Regenerator, turning Reuniclus into a bulky pivot. However, this set is mostly outclassed by other pivots such as Tangrowth.

Checks and Counters
===================

Implemented, thank you! Also, QC allowed me to change the Calm Mind set to give it enough speed to outspeed Toxapex (so you can hit it w/ psyshock before it uses Haze). If you and P Squared don't object to this change in wording:

"252 HP EVs and 212 Defense EVs with a Bold nature give Reuniclus sizable physical bulk, giving it the most opportunities to sweep after setting up Calm Mind. It also allows Reuniclus to set up on Mega Medicham and handle Mega Metagross better. 44 Speed EVs let Reuniclus outspeed Toxapex, letting Reuniclus attack it before it has a chance to use Haze, as well as Slowbro, giving Reuniclus an advantage in a Calm Mind war. Leftovers increases Reuniclus's longevity by providing passive recovery."

then this analysis should be complete. Thank you!

-thumbs up-

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)