SM OU RMT M-Medicham/Defog Latios

Introduction

Hi guys, after a long time of lurking and copying teams from RMT and playing them out on the ladder, I decided to give teambuilding a try. This isn't my first team (made a few Gen6) but I havent really played that much on Gen7. Anyways, I really started by making a core of two mons I liked and built around it.

Teambuilding Process

[/hide]

The Team

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
Basically started out with a mon that I just liked. I like the coverage and wallbreaking power Medicham provides. Good coverage, good stats, makes it a great mon to start a team with.

Latios @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick
One of my teams I was recently playing with was lacking cleanses on the field, making me really weak to webs/toxik spikes and other hazards. Felt like I needed a more complete team that could take care of these. My first thought about a defogger that could pair well with Medicham was scarf Latios. Latios would outspeed sweepers and other scarfers such as Keldeo/Landorus/Chomp that would give Medicham a hard time when Medicham would wallbreak the shit out of Heatran/Magearna/Chansey and other somewhat bulky mons. Trick is the extra move that would cripple either setups or annoying stallers to lock them on

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake
I felt like I needed some extra coverage against Ghosts that would check both of my Psy core, so I brought Tyranitar in, offering good Rock/Dark/Ground coverage as well as a trap with Pursuit for Ghosts switch-ins such as Gengar, Blacephalon. Also checks Zapdos that would give Ferrothorn an absolute shit time with Heat Wave and his Electric/Flying type. Can also be applied to Marowak and Tapu Lele. In return, Tyranitar's double fighting weakness is covered by Medicham and Latios, while Earthquakes users (especially Landorus-T) are checked by Rotom-W that'll come in a bit later. I feel like what checks Tyranitar is really situational, by that I mean that it could be very well OHKOed by a M-Zam's focus blast or some other random moves put in for coverage. Also negates Azelf suicide leads.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball
That's when Teambuilding got a little tricky... I felt I had a lack of stalling power and entry hazards. Ferrothorn was the premium choice as it would wall most of Fairy-types with it's double Steel/Grass typing but also provide spikes. The problem is that I also run Defog on Latios, and feel like wasting time setting spikes only to defog them afterwards.... Power whip allows me to dispose of Greninja-Ash and Gyroball of Tornadus and other Tapus.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
Rotom-W allows me to give momentum to my team to switch in Medicham or Latios, as well as serving as a lead in pretty much every match. I felt that having Will O Wisp would help wear down stallers but as they pretty much all run Leftovers I'm unsure of how effective it really is. Anyways, having a burn crippling Physical sweepers is still good to have.

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind
I wanted a somewhat Special-resistant mon that could also set Rocks, hence my Clefable that can also setup with CM. Again, as I run Defog on Latios I feel pretty frustrated whenever I clean my own hazards, and feel that it is something I must improve my team on.

Conclusion

There it is... After playing some games with it, my feeling is that I pretty much struggle against M-Scizor as it checks pretty much all of my team by it's typing, that and the fact that I don't really have strong Bug/Steel counters such as Fire type moves. I have thought about running a more offensive build on Clefable with Flamethrower, but I feel that their steel-typing wouldn't give me any chance to make the most of it whatsoever. I mean, M-Scizor OHKOs my Clefable with Bullet Punch. Also, I have this frustrating entry hazard/defog situation I'd like to improve on.
I'm waiting for your feedback, thanks for reading.

Medicham @ Medichamite
Ability: Telepathy
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt

Latios @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Trick

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Earthquake

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Stealth Rock
- Calm Mind

Last edited:
Just a couple of minor changes that might help you out a little.

Potentially you could look at replacing Pain Split on Rotom Wash for Defog. This frees up a move slot for Latios. Although it’s not common at all, I would suggest HP-Fire on Latios to help deal with your M-Scizor weakness.
See Calc:
252 SpA Latios Hidden Power Fire vs. 248 HP / 8 SpD Scizor-Mega: 264-312 (76.9 - 90.9%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Those are the changes I recommend for you to test, without changing any of the Pokemon on your team. See how you get on.

When it comes to Defog and Hazard removal, unfortunately sometimes you have to remove your hazards, if the opponents are more of a threat than yours are. There’s no way around it, apart from potentially changing a min to a rapid spinner, which only removes the hazards on your side of the field.

Hope this helps

Hey man, Thanks for your input.

Indeed pain split is definitely the move I use the least on Rotom, whereas Defog on Latios was one of my most crippling moves as I would be forced to switch out right after defogging (since he's scarf).
I feel like HP fire allows me to revenge kill those steel types much easier too.

Now the mon I feel to be truly out of place is my Clefable. I haven't really been able to setup much with CM so I might either need to change him for another mon (then I would need to find a replacement to set up rocks, maybe Tyranitar over Crunch) or run a full defensive/support Clefable with Moonblast/Wish/Soft Boiled/Rocks.
I welcome every added insight !

I notice your team somewhat struggles to deal with kartana, and tapu koko can freely volt switch all over your team since it has no electric immunity. You've also mentioned a huge problem with M-scizor.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire
- U-turn

Enter HP Fire Lando. You can replace Clefable with it since you're not finding it too useful, and it also sets rocks up for you. It's standard defensive Lando that just runs HP Fire instead of Ice for Kartana and Scizor. This lure set was used to some success in tour play if I'm not mistaken, but it's really uncommon and unexpected nowadays since it's a really niche set that just happens to fit snugly on your team.

Lando isn't a safe switch in to Koko (beats non shuca variants though) but at least they'll think twice before clicking volt switch.

If you want to keep clefable then I'd go for the wish set since your team members have decent defensive utility but lack reliable recovery.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)