Resource RU Viability Ranking: ORAS Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously though, Ambipom is bad. Like, really really bad. It can do nothing to Stall/Balance, and against offense, where it has it "best" shot against, it can't reliably OHKO most of the common offensive Pokemon, while is OHKOed back due its miserable frailty. Its speed is also not that much of a blessing considering Mega Sceptile and Mega Pidgeot running everywhere. Ambipom is only ranked because it's RU lol. One day it'll fall and have the same fate as Electivire. Besides, it's a worse Cinccino.
How many people are so wrogn about Ambipom. Try running a Band set with pursuit and u-turn and you wll enjoy breaking holes in enemy pokemons, his speed is good so thats why i like him too.

Ares

Fool me...can't get fooled again
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
How many people are so wrogn about Ambipom. Try running a Band set with pursuit and u-turn and you wll enjoy breaking holes in enemy pokemons, his speed is good so thats why i like him too.
Putting a choice band on Ambipom just makes it worse lol. There are tons of other mons that outclass it as a choice band user. Like you just took the couple of things going for it and threw them out of the window by putting a band on it.

boltsandbombers

i'm sorry mr. man
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Can we have a "conclusion reached" section? We all know that Ambipom is not moving out of E rank, and every single time it is brought up in discussing it's literally just everyone bashing on and wasting time explaining to a newer player who doesn't realize why Ambipom is bad.

In the off chance that the viability rankings council decides to remove or add sometime to or from the conclusion reached list, so be it - this doesn't have to be set in stone.

Last edited:

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Alrighty, removed Sceptile and Gligar from the viability rankings since they moved up to UU by usage!

Just a second, i'm going to implement the rest of the updates in a second, i'll edit them in here :]

EDIT: updates in!

Pangoro moved up to S rank
Mega Banette moved up to B- rank
Feraligatr moved up to B rank
Virizion moved up to B+ rank (tbh this is just common sense, Dragalge, Mega Pidgeot, and Mega Sceptile leaving is really significant for it, might move it up more later if you guys agree).
Mega Steelix moved up to B+ rank

Honestly a full update might be needed in the near future, the changes that just happened in RU are pretty big to say the least x.x

Last edited:
R.I.P. Sceptile, Gligar, Dragalge, Serperior and Mega Burd :c

Anyway, on to a nomination I'd like to back up:

Mega Steelix (B) -> A-/A | Having seen several matches with this Pokémon, Mega Steelix always pulls its weight in battle. There's quite a few ways to use it effectively: the SDef Curse set can set up on common walls like Registeel and Cresselia, then sweep entire teams; the SR set is one of the bulkiest hazard setters around and still packs a decent punch thanks to Mega Steelix's 125 Attack; and then there's also an all-out attacker set that becomes massively strong with Sand support (I know Sand isn't the best playstyle, but both Mega Steelix and Stoutland benefit from it, so there's that). 125 Attack may not seem that good for a Mega, but its high-power STABs, Heavy Slam and Earthquake, make it hit really hard nonetheless, especially with some Curse boosts. Its 75/230/95 bulk is pretty good overall and combined with its Steel/Ground-type, gives it many chances to switch in.
The problems are that Mega Steelix has somewhat of an opportunity cost compared to Mega Abomasnow/Glalie, as well as its abysmal 30 Speed. Its Special Defense could've been somewhat better, but it's good enough to work. Generally, Mega Steelix is a great Pokémon that's definitely worth the Mega slot thanks to its utility, ease in setting up and great synergy with common Pokémon. Definitely worth A-, if not A.

While typing this, I see Sceptile moved up, giving it less competition for the Mega slot. I now stand by A.

I propose moving Claydol to D rank for being a bulky Ground type that isn't outclassed by Gligar now that Gligar is not RU.
It just got removed, lol. I don't think it's become any more viable, since Claydol just sucks as a Spinner and as a defensive Pokémon. If you want a bulky Ground-type, use Mega Steelix.

I propose moving Claydol to D rank for being a bulky Ground type that isn't outclassed by Gligar now that Gligar is not RU.
Claydol still sucks ass, even sandslash does its job better if you absolutely need a bulky ground type spinner, and as others have said steelix is much better as a general bulky ground type

atomicllamas

but then what's left of me?
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Removed Mawile from D rank, its no longer RU by usage and without Dragalge in the tier it has lost pretty much its entire niche. Go ahead and post if you disagree, but after expecting Mawile to be terrible and using it, I was somehow still disappointed. :x

I think it's worth noting that with two Megas leaving the tier, we only have six Megas left, drastically decreasing opportunity cost (especially considering how good Pidgeot was) and hence giving more of a reason for all Megas to move up.
Not saying they should all move up, just worth noting.

Shouldn't Golbat be A- or A rank? It can handle Pangoro among other threats like Hitmonlee. Infiltrator means you cant just pop a sub on it and be safe from status. With Gligar gone it just became the tiers only reliable wall defogger. It typing is phenomenal. I mean it doesn't really give many if any free turns for mons to set up and walls a significant portion of the tier; isnt that what an A rank mon looks like? Furthermore options like Haze, Super Fang, Whirlwind, Brave Bird, etc give it some bite or access to support moves rarely found in the tier.
What do you guys all think?

Qwilfish for A-

With mega pigeot serperior and dragalge also mega sceptile out of the way qwilfish's lead set got much better as mega sceptile,serperior and mega bird anti-lead it and kill it and it gives a free switch in to dragalge. But now that those are banned i feel qwilfish got a signifigant lease on life in viability. It's one of the few viable toxic spikes users as well which is always nice to have residual damage on enemies. Not only is it one of the only viable toxic spikes users it's also a good spikes user as well. With taunt in it's arsenal it can also attempt to block any defog attempts to get rid of it's hazards. Explosion rounds out lead sets nicely blocking rapid spin. Defensive sets while no where near as good as the lead set is also an option as the reasons in the first paragraph. It's speed is nice as it's typing making it pretty good partner for cupcake as it checks escavalier and turns it into spikes fodder. Finally gligar left due to usage and with the recent rise in fighting types due to the loss of gligar qwilfish checks/walls alot of them nicely as long as they aren't special

| 27 | Ambipom | 8.18741% | 14604 | 15.868% | 12553 | 17.071% |

| 40 | Cinccino | 5.93173% | 9037 | 9.819% | 6847 | 9.312% |

Now i think someone said Ambipom was COMPLETELY OUTCLASED AND WAS GARBAGE. Cincinno getting less usage gives a lot to talk about. Maybe we should evaluate ranking Cinccino lower.

Now i think someone said Ambipom was COMPLETELY OUTCLASED AND WAS GARBAGE. Cincinno getting less usage gives a lot to talk about. Maybe we should evaluate ranking Cinccino lower.
Usage does not in any way equal viability. This simply means that people are completely disillusioned and are using an extremely outclassed and horrendous Pokémon. I don't really play RU but from what I've seen it's been tested numerous times and there's nothing it can really do that gives it a niche.
And as an avid player of OU I just cry at usage being used to support viability

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Usage stats mean nothing. The ladder is ass and the only reason Ambipom is higher is because lower ladder scrubs think "OMG IT HAS TECHNICIAN FAKE OUT WHICH MEANS IT MUST BE GOOD!!!" Cinccino is completely better than Ambipom and it's fine where it is, its access to multi-hit moves, good coverage, and fine Speed make it a cool mon overall, just needs some support.

Cincino has uses. Ambipom is only used by scrubs who think "free damage" but that really means "free switch to resist/immunity" which gives free turns for rocks/set up. its awful. Cincino isnt amazing but it has speed, coverage, and some powerful attacks.

Ambi literally sucks at everything it tries and the only set it has on Cincino is nasty plot pass.

Usage isn't always the best measure of utility as this exception shows.

Seriously, usage is the worst argument for nominating a Pokémon, especially if it's a factually bad Pokémon that many people still insist on using when there are outright better, non-niche Pokémon out there. Cinccino is miles better than Ambipom and besides, it seems you took that from the 0 list instead of 1630 or 1760. Rather goes to show Cinccino is underrated right now and people are stupid for using that filthy monkey garbage.

Sigh. Stop using Ambipom. You're cluttering the thread.

Seriously, usage is the worst argument for nominating a Pokémon, especially if it's a factually bad Pokémon that many people still insist on using when there are outright better, non-niche Pokémon out there. Cinccino is miles better than Ambipom and besides, it seems you took that from the 0 list instead of 1630 or 1760. Rather goes to show Cinccino is underrated right now and people are stupid for using that filthy monkey garbage.

Sigh. Stop using Ambipom. You're cluttering the thread.
Its from the 1630 list not the 0 list btw. Interesting results thoo. 14604 scrubs use Ambipom and 9037 use Cincinno, its like if its usage didnt make sense at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)