Salamence?

Salamence, one of the most OU Dragon's.....?

Yeah, the topic is about Salamence, one of the most overused dragons in the game. Now, has it surprised/stumped anyone other than myself that this dragon can't learn Water, Ice, or Thunder (excluding the "Fang" attacks)? I mean lets take a look at the other overused monsters that have access to these types:

- Garchomp
- Dragonite (and he's a Flying/Dragon type, just like Salamence...see my point?)
- Tyranitar (hes a frickin' Rock Type dude...a Ground type using Thunder? 'Nuff said....)
- Aggron (ok, hes not OU, but w/e....same thing as Tyranitar)
- Gyrados (this guy is a "Water" type, not even Water/Dragon....and yet he can use Fire, Thunder, Ice and Water [duh])

So....? Whats up with Salamence? Is it some kind of confused Dragon that forgot its power or something? I was really surprised when I found out about this dragon's in-ability to learn those kinds of moves...

So what do YOU think is the problem?

NOTE: I KNOW Hydro Pump can be learned by Salamence! I meant normally taught moves, like Surf!

ANOTHER NOTE (because people seem to be thinking that I think that Salamence is weak, and needs those type of moves lol): I'm not talking about this "battle-wise". I'm talking about this logic/imaginary wise :D

Two things.

Salamence can learn Hydro Pump. It's one of Bagon's Egg Moves.

Tyranitar is Rock/Dark. Not Ground.

I know about Hydro Pump, but thats not normally learned, as you said, its an Egg Move. I was referring to normally learned moves, like Surf, which I prefer to Hydro Pump.

And thats even worse...a Rock type using Thunder attacks?

I think Salamence is based more on the image of a typical fire-breathing dragon. Most of its attacks are simply a show of raw physical strength, aside from its dragon and fire techniques. It even learns some fire attacks by level to fit this theme. I think the basic idea for Salamence was for it to be a mainly physical beast. Special stat was for fire/dragon moves, and Hydro Pump.

Yeah but still.........It should be able to learn those moves....I mean, Dragonite has the same exact typing, and can learn those moves..

But Dragonite is less "stereotypical dragon" and more "mystical". Salamence fits the image of a medieval-type dragon far more than Dragonite does.

Salamence is as good, if not better, than Dragonite. Albeit it has a smaller move-pool, but Salamence has better offensive stats and speed. Tyranitar has as much respect from me as Salamence. I just don't like Garchomp that much. Aggron is the best UU physical wall.

Just cause it has the same typing doesn't mean they should have the same movesets. Otherwise Salamence would definitely overshadow Dragonite, who is already by itself shunned compared to Garchomp + Mence respectively.

Yeah, but Aggron is a frickin' rhino lol...or Triceratops...same thing....imagine a Fire/Ice/Water/Thunder "breathing" rhino?

And Tyranitar? A rock armored green monster...? lol :D

this is sort of a weird thread, but the others look a bit more like they can swim than salamence (better legs, whereas sala's look... not so impressive/adaptable)

although it's questionable whether he'd really have a use for them (aside from surf @ specsmence), i think salamence is definitely not in need of more moves

Yeah, I know lol

I didn't make this thread to say "Salamence absolutely NEEDS those moves!" (Ice might be helpful though). I just made this thread to see your explanations for why Salamence doesn't have those types in it's move-pool, while monsters like Aggron/Tyranitar who you wouldn't expect to have those moves have them.

maddog

is a master debater
is a Contributor Alumnus
Salamence can hit from both physical and special side of the spectrum. Not only can he launch Draco Meteors from his Base 105 Special Attack, but he can also be a good CBer, DDer, and can mix sweep extremely well. His trait allows him to switch in to physical sweepers pretty well, and set up or fire away. There is no true safe switch in to any Mence (with the possible execption of Cresselia). He hits things so hard its unbelieveable, and he also looks really cool. As far as type coverage, Dragon/ Fire/ Ground hits everything, so why would you need anything else? To be honest, I don't know why Salamence isn't more overused.

Salamence can hit from both physical and special side of the spectrum. Not only can he launch Draco Meteors from his Base 105 Special Attack, but he can also be a good CBer, DDer, and can mix sweep extremely well. His trait allows him to switch in to physical sweepers pretty well, and set up or fire away. There is no true safe switch in to any Mence (with the possible execption of Cresselia). He hits things so hard its unbelieveable, and he also looks really cool. As far as type coverage, Dragon/ Fire/ Ground hits everything, so why would you need anything else? To be honest, I don't know why Salamence isn't more overused.
Because Garchomps two extras base speed ruins Salamences parades :/

I think salamence is 150% cooler than Garchomp. People should use him way more. I mean, garchomp's cry sounds like a FART, and it's a land shark... lame.

Also, just don't switch Sala into a Garchomp. Dragon dance against something else, so that it can't murder you :D

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Actually Dragonite is the only Dragon next to Kingdra that learns a physical water move (Waterfall and Aqua Tail) to correspond with Dragon Dance. And think about it, it's actually hitting Gliscor and Hippowdon pretty well. Dragonite brags being able to have a lot of moves to work with. Focus Punch, DDance + Outrage, Fire Punch, Thunderpunch, Waterfall I guess, a lot of options coming out of Dragonite.

Salamence, however, has some versitality to hit very hard on the physical and special spectrum. He has Dragon Dance as well. Heck, he can brag with Intimidate even, because no other dragon has it. The thing hits so damn hard, it's not funny facing them. It fucking hurts.

Garchomp is able to use Swords Dance, immune to Sandstorm, and quite fast right off the bat. Sure he's not quite versatile, but still he hits very hard with STAB Earthquake, which is a pretty big damn plus.

There's my opinion on the top 3 dragons of the OU tier. Salamence is pretty good, I will admit. I just wish he had a stronger Fighting attack. >_>

Before we ask our selves why Salamence doesn't have ice and electric moves we should ask why everyone and their grandmother learns aerial ace. I mean come on, dugtrio learns it that's pretty ridiculous.
Edit: poor toxicroak!

Edit#2: Maybe Salmence just doesn't like ice and electricity. You can't learn every move(except mew!)

Before we ask our selves why Salamence doesn't have ice and electric moves we should ask why everyone and their grandmother learns aerial ace. I mean come on, dugtrio learns it that's pretty ridiculous.
Edit: poor toxicroak!

Edit#2: Maybe Salmence just doesn't like ice and electricity. You can't learn every move(except mew!)
I believe the idea with Aerial Ace is that it was actually called "Beak Slash" in the japanese version, and I guess the idea for other pokemon is they 'slash' with other body parts. In other words, another 'claw' attack. Dugtrio, presumably, has claws somewhere down there. Its classified as a mole pokemon and learns things like scratch/slash/night slash/sucker punch/aerial ace/etc.

I don't get how Salamence can learn Brick Break..I mean unlike the other 2 OU dragons, it doesn't even have usable hands!

Also, why would you need ICE when Dragon attacks do more on everything and Fire attacks kill Skarm?

Um you guys are making a ridiculously big deal about this. Pokemon isn't suppose to make sense.....

Otherwise we'd be sitting here all day going, "how does (WATER POKEMON) use surf while it's in the middle of a desert?" "why is dugtrio slashing, punching, and scratching me?" "how does octillery even more around if it's not in a water enviornment?" etc etc

If everything made sense, maybe Flareon would get a fucking break etc etc.

Yeah I was about to say what Aeroblacktyl did. This is dumb. The easy answer to your question is this: Salamence doesn't have those moves because Game Freak decided not to give them to him. This is probably because he is already a devastating special threat with choice specs WITHOUT them, and also because frankly he is already one of the most powerful Pokemon in the game and the limits of his movepool are one of the few things that hold him back from total godhood.

I mean this is just like when people get mad that Gyarados isn't dragon/water instead of flying/water. He'd be completely broken.

intimidate

good resists

high attack

high speed

high special attack

versatile move pool

blue

=]

Salamence is already more used than Dragonite. I think it was a weak attempt at trying to balance them.

And I finally have my answer to why Gyarados doesn't get Aerial Ace when Nidoking does. Haha.

Um you guys are making a ridiculously big deal about this. Pokemon isn't suppose to make sense.....

Otherwise we'd be sitting here all day going, "how does (WATER POKEMON) use surf while it's in the middle of a desert?" "why is dugtrio slashing, punching, and scratching me?" "how does octillery even more around if it's not in a water enviornment?" etc etc

If everything made sense, maybe Flareon would get a fucking break etc etc.
Stark Mountain topics are getting pretty bad lately.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)