ORAS OU Scarf Kyurem-Black + Mega Scizor

Introduction
This is one of my first really competitive OU teams, and the first time I've come to this forum for advice. This team was built around the idea of a Scarfed Kyurem-Black and Mega Scizor core. I like the core because Mega Scizor is able to KO a number of Kyurem-Black's counters and checks with relative ease, and vice-versa. This opens up opportunities for both of them to sweep.

Latios

Latios @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Roost​
Latios is my lead for this team most of the time. That's because it works well for quickly defogging any rocks or spikes that the opponent's lead lays down. Draco Meteor is good for easily killing slower dragon types, notably Dragonite and Kyurem-Black. It also works well as a general STAB move. Psychic hits fighting types like Keldeo, Mega Lopunny and Mega Heracross. It can also take out toxic spikers such as Tentacruel, and other poison types including Amoonguss and Mega Venusaur. Roost is there just for general recovery.

Kyurem-Black

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head​
With a gigantic attack stat of 170, which is further boosted by max attack EVs and an Adamant nature, Kyurem-Black is an excellent physical sweeper. The only problem with it is it's lackluster speed, which is why a Choice Scarf makes it so brutal. Outrage is the move I use the most in this set, with 120 power and a STAB boost. Fusion Bolt is mainly to deal with Azumarill, but it also does well against Starmie and Manaphy. Zen Headbutt deals with Gengar, Mega Medicham and Breloom. As for Iron Head, it deals excellent damage against the Fairy types that usually give it so much trouble, however, I'm often forced to switch Kyurem out when Iron Head can't deal enough damage to KO.

Mega Scizor

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
So, looking at the team so far, we've already got a massive Fairy-type weakness; and that's precisely what Mega Scizor is here for, though it's a great setup sweeper as well. Swords Dance allows it to boost it's attack stat and get ready to sweep. Knock Off gets rid of items, and is good against those who resist both of Mega Scizor's STAB moves. Bullet Punch is for STAB mainly, and it's priority allows it to outspeed everything. It hits Fairy types especially hard. Bug Bite is a STAB and technician boosted move which can hit Serperior, Mega Sableye, Weavile and Latios/Latias particularly well.

Landorus-Therian

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Brick Break​
Mega Scizor is great, but the biggest problem with is it's 4x weakness to fire. That means that pretty much every fire type move that hits it is going to OHKO it. That's the main reason why I added Landorus-Therian to the team. It's Earthquake can get rid of most fire types, and thanks to it's choice scarf, it can outspeed the majority of them too. Stone Edge is for dealing with Talonflame, Knock Off is for getting rid of items that the opponent relies on and Brick Break is for getting through walls.

Rotom-Wash

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 2 Def / 252 SpA / 2 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp​
Rotom-Wash is useful as yet another counter for fire types that stop Mega Scizor from sweeping. Hydro Pump is Rotom-W's most powerful STAB move and can do some pretty good damage against most fire types. Volt Switch is mostly for pivoting, though it can also be used to hit Skarmory and Mega Charizard Y. The purpose of Will-O-Wisp is to cripple physical attackers, while dealing chip damage at the same time. Pain Split is there just to stall out the burns done by Will-O-Wisp a little more.

Serperior

Serperior @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed​
Serperior is here mostly because I need a special sweeper, and this guy fulfills that role perfectly. Also, I've always loved using Contrary Serperior. Leaf Storm raises Serperior's special attack by 2 and also has 130 power. HP Fire is there to give Serperior a way to hit Steel and Grass types which resist Leaf Storm. As for SubSeed, that's there because it makes it a lot harder for Pokemon to break through and KO Serperior, and allows it to gain more passive recovery.

Latios @ Leftovers
EVs: 152 HP / 252 SpA / 104 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
- Defog
- Roost

EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Zen Headbutt
- Iron Head

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Knock Off
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off
- Brick Break

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 2 Def / 252 SpA / 2 SpD
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Serperior @ Leftovers
Modest Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

Thanks! I look forward to any feedback you might have :).

Last edited:

Fireflame

Silksong when
is a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
For your first time building a team, you did choose great Pokemon that cover each others' weaknesses. However, your sets are suboptimal, which is fine since this is your first competitive team. My changes will be in bold and the sets will be at the end.

First off, your Latios set isn't as effective as it can be. Life Orb > Leftovers since Latios is an offensive defogger, and its main purpose is to wallbreak. Leftovers reduces your power and makes you miss out on key OHKOs such as the guaranteed OHKO on Mega Pinsir. Having Life Orb gives you much needed power and its generally the norm. Furthermore, the EV set is not optimal. A spread of 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD is much better. Latios needs the maximum speed investment in order to function at its best. Latios sits at a crucial speed benchmark, base 110, so it needs to be outspeeding/speed-tying other base 110s such as Gengar (depending on the nature). Furthermore, maximum speed EVs allows Latios to outspeed major threats, namely Keldeo, which allows Latios to reliably check them. If you really want that Psychic coverage, Psyshock > Psychic due to the fact that Psyshock hits Clefable harder, among other things. Otherwise, I don't think Latios needs Psychic coverage as of late since Draco Meteor hits the Pokemon Psyshock is used for as hard (or even harder). I would recommend Surf > Psychic which allows you to hit Heatran and Excadrill hard. Lastly, having a recovery move on Latios takes some much needed coverage away from it. If you want (and only if you want, since Roost is fine), you can run Thunderbolt > Roost. Surf + Thunderbolt acts as a dual lure for supporting Scizor, and it allows Latios to KO fire and water types that threaten Scizor from sweeping.

For your scarf Kyurem-B, change the EV spread to 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 SpA with a Naive nature. This allows you to get maximum damage while also obtaining maximum speed, as I don't see the point in 80 HP investment. For moves, Ice Beam > Zen Headbutt. Zen Headbutt doesn't do anything Ice Beam + Outrage + Fusion Bolt can't already, while Ice Beam allows you to secure the OHKO on Landorus-T and is a great STAB move for a lot of threats. Furthermore, I would recommend Dragon Claw > Iron Head. While it may seem useful to hit fairies, which it is, you have Scizor's Bullet Punch to do that anyway, and most fairy-types would not want to risk staying in against a Scizor.

When building a team around Mega Scizor, it's important to realize that you should treat it as the main wincon. My main team is a Mega Scizor team and I strongly recommend you follow that advice. Moving forward, looking at this team, it would benefit more if Mega Scizor was running a Bulky Scizor set. I don't think you need an offensive Mega Scizor due to Kyurem-B, Serperior, and Latios. Bulky Mega Scizor is better in the current meta since it can function as an early-game defensive pivot, which offensive Mega Scizor cannot do. This will include U-turn > Bug Bite, which allows you to become that pivot, and Roost > Knock Off, which further enhances your pivot capabilities while improving longevity. Furthermore, a spread of 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe with an Impish nature is optimal. 4 Spe EVs ensure that you outspeed bulky Mega Scizor using the same set and can then Roost or revenge kill it if it's severely weakened. 248 HP EVs and 56 Def EVs with an Impish nature allow you to avoid many 2HKOs, namely the 2HKO from Mega Lopunny's High Jump Kick. 200 SpD EVs let you avoid getting KOd by a number of things, including Latios's Draco Meteor + HP Fire (after the SpA drop). I suggest you look at the Smogon Scizor page for more details on this, but DON'T use those EVs (The 44 Atk EVs they use are useless, and putting into defense allows you to avoid that 2HKO from Mega Lopunny). Scizor doesn't need attack investment since after one swords dance, it's able to sweep relatively easily provided that the opposing team has been weakened enough.

It's redundant to have two scarfers on the same team, especially a Mega Scizor team. We already have Kyurem-B with choice scarf, so the Physically Defensive set > Choice Scarf. I'm too tired to go over these, so I'm including it in its own hide tab. Your team really needs a reliable physical wall to support Mega Scizor, and the defensive set is Landorus-T's best one by far right now. Furthermore, your team has no hazards, and hazards really help Mega Scizor when sweeping.

The EVs and nature on Rotom-W are incredibly suboptimal. For one, you need 4 EVs to increase a stat by one, so 2 EVs for Def and SpD are actually doing nothing. Furthermore, you already have a strong special attacker in Latios, and Rotom-W functions much much better as a physical wall. The moves are fine, but change the spread to 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe with a Bold nature, as this allows you to outspeed Adamant Crawdaunt and make Rotom-W a much bulkier wall, since it's not meant to do damage.

The only thing you should definitely change with Serperior is the nature. Timid > Modest for several reasons. First off, you don't need a nature that increases SpA since Leaf Storm does it much better. Furthermore, Serperior sits at an important 113 Speed tier, thus outspeeding the many Pokemon that are base 110. Therefore, Serperior needs to be running Timid in order to outspeed the base 110s that are also using a boosting nature.

Otherwise, that's the end of my rate. Hopefully I helped and good luck with your team!

TL;DR:
Leftovers -> Life Orb; Psychic -> Psyshock/Surf; changed EVs. Optional, Roost -> Thunderbolt
Iron Head -> Dragon Claw; Zen Headbutt -> Ice Beam; Adamant -> Naive; changed EVs
Offensive Mega Scizor -> Bulky Mega Scizor; changed EVs
Choice Scarf -> Physically Defensive
248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe with Bold nature
Modest -> Timid

latios.gif

Latios @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic/Surf
- Defog
- Roost/Thunderbolt

kyurem-black.gif

EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Spe
Naive Nature

- Outrage
- Fusion Bolt
- Ice Beam
- Dragon Claw
scizor-mega.gif

Scizor-Mega @ Scizorite
EVs: 248 HP / 56 Def / 200 SpD / 4 Spe
Impish Nature

- Swords Dance
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn

rotom-wash.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 248 / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature

- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

serperior.gif

Serperior @ Leftovers
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Substitute
- Leech Seed

landorus-therian.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn
- Stone Edge/Knock Off

Attachments

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)