Research Scarlet & Violet Battle Mechanics Research

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
Probably? Protean, Libero, Soak, and Magic Powder's type changes are kept as the base type after Tera (until the Pokémon switches out), so Forest's Curse should be.
Please don't reply with guesses. If you want to help people out in this thread, the best way to do it is by actually testing the mechanics in-game.

If you forest curse on a Pokémon and it teras after does it still retain grass stab on their moves after?
To answer your question, Forest's Curse is removed on Terastallization completely. You can see the volatile is removed when Terastallizing, and it doesn't have Grass-type STAB when Terastallized either.

Anubis

HONK
is a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Given that, from Gen 5 on, Effect Spore has a slightly higher chance of inflicting Sleep and a slightly lower chance of inflicting Poison, I'm pretty sure it tries Sleep first and Poison last when trying to inflict them. Assuming nothing has changed codewise in SV it just has a lower chance of activating against Pokémon immune to one of the statuses.
It looks like SV does this the same way as USUM and BDSP (thanks DaWoblefet for checking), and it isn't because it tries the effects one after the other. It's because there's an off-by-one error that's been propagated into each game.

The actual RNG does this in SV:
1. Roll a random number from 0-29, where 0-10 is Sleep, 11-20 is Paralyze, 21-29 is Poison.
2. If the effect was sleep, get the random sleep turns.
3. Roll a random number from 0-99 to decide if the effect is applied, where success is 0-29.

This causes Sleep to be 11%, Paralyze to be 10%, and Poison to be 9%.

C:
void __fastcall Dpr_Battle_Logic_Handler_Tokusei__handler_Housi(__int64 result, unsigned int pokeID)
{
  __int64 v4; // x8
  __int64 v5; // x9
  __int64 v6; // x9
  __int64 v7; // x8
  unsigned int v8; // w21
  __int64 v9; // x22
  __int64 v10; // x22
  unsigned int v11; // w0
  unsigned int rand; // w0
  int effect; // w8
  unsigned int v14; // w21
  __int64 v15; // x1
  __int64 v16[2]; // [xsp+0h] [xbp-10h] BYREF

v4 = *(*(result + 56) + 120LL);
  v5 = *(v4 + 40);
  if ( v5 )
    LODWORD(v5) = *(v5 + 12);
  if ( v5 == pokeID )
  {
    v6 = *(v4 + 624);
    if ( !v6 || !*(v6 + 12) )
    {
      v7 = *(v4 + 32);
      v8 = v7 ? *(v7 + 12) : 0;
      v9 = sub_7100E991A4(*(*(result + 8) + 48LL), v8);
      if ( ((*(*v9 + 768LL))(v9, 11LL) & 1) == 0 && (*(*v9 + 248LL))(v9) != 142 )// Grass Type check and Overcoat
      {
        v10 = *result;
        v11 = sub_7101762660(result, v8);
        if ( !Dpr_Battle_Logic_Common__GetUsableItem(v10, 0x8F9E5B2A600A044ALL, v11) )// Safety Goggles
        {
          rand = Dpr_Battle_Logic_calc__GetRand(result, 30u);
          if ( rand > 10 )
            effect = 1;
          else
            effect = 2;
          if ( rand <= 20 )
            v14 = effect;
          else
            v14 = 5;
          v16[0] = sub_71027AFF80(result, v14, pokeID);
          v16[1] = v15;
          Dpr_Battle_Logic_Handler_Tokusei__common_touchAddSick(result, pokeID, v14, v16);
        }
      }
    }
  }
}

Last edited:

DarkFE

Heal Bells ringing
is a Pokemon Researcher
Hi again. I've found that in-game, Syrup Bomb's volatile effect "Syrupy" is lost when the Pokemon that induced it leaves the field. This differs from Showdown's current implementation, where the Syrupy volatile persists for the entire duration unless the afflicted target switches out itself. Showdown user AmyGay pointed this out to me in a Discord server that we share, so thanks for the information!

In less interesting news, I confirmed that a Pokemon can activate both Intrepid Sword and Dauntless Shield in the same battle. Just a quick check to ensure that the same flag is not used for all once-per-battle abilities. Showdown already implements this correctly.

Hope this helps.

Chilly Reception's "about to tell a chillingly bad joke!" text still appears if the pokemon is prevented from using the move by full paralysis. I don't have footage that I captured and I can't research by myself, but it happens at this timestamp in Emvee's latest draft video, which is where it caught my eye. I wonder if this still happens if the Slowking is frozen or asleep, or maybe even prevented from using a move by something like Truant.

Screenshot 2023-11-12 142338.png
Screenshot 2023-11-12 142351.png

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:
This may not be unique t this Generation but Maushold presents a relevant use case for it: how does Technician interact with current Beat Up?

Assuming the calc (obviously) falls under 60, does it boost every hit, just the one under the user's name, or none at all? I know it doesn't get the Tera 60 BP floor so I assume it's counted as a Multi-Hit move, but just gotta check because this is always a weird move.

DaWoblefet

Demonstrably so
is a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnus
PS Admin
This may not be unique t this Generation but Maushold presents a relevant use case for it: how does Technician interact with current Beat Up?

Assuming the calc (obviously) falls under 60, does it boost every hit, just the one under the user's name, or none at all? I know it doesn't get the Tera 60 BP floor so I assume it's counted as a Multi-Hit move, but just gotta check because this is always a weird move.
Each individual hit's base power is boosted by Technician. In general, if a move with variable base power (think Water Spout, Gyro Ball, Beat Up, Low Kick, Acrobatics with a held item, Pursuit without switches, etc.) is 60 BP or less, Technician will give it the 1.5x BP boost.

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Charlotte noticed that Mold Breaker was acting up with Sword of Ruin in the damage calc - namely, Mold Breaker was applying Sword of Ruin to Pokemon that had Sword of Ruin set as their ability. So we ran a test:

In hindsight, Char and I should have switched roles so I could record the damage numbers, but it should be clearly visible that the Aqua Cutter rolls don't notably change when I bring in my own Chien-Pao, and Char's reported damage values indicate that Sword of Ruin did not apply when Aqua Cutter was used on Chien-Pao in the first place:

0 Atk Mold Breaker Veluza Aqua Cutter vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chien-Pao: 49-58 0 Atk Mold Breaker Veluza Aqua Cutter vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chien-Pao on a critical hit: 73-87
Reported damage values:
51, 78, 57 (without second Chien-Pao)
52, 52, 55 (with second Chien-Pao)

If Sword of Ruin was applying to Chien-Pao, the following damage range would have been used:
0 Atk Mold Breaker Sword of Ruin Veluza Aqua Cutter vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Chien-Pao: 66-78

Here are the rest of the damage rolls, for completion:
132 Atk Mold Breaker Sword of Ruin Tinkaton Gigaton Hammer vs. 244 HP / 100+ Def Amoonguss: 118-141
Reported damage value: 129

132 Atk Mold Breaker Sword of Ruin Tinkaton Brick Break vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Veluza: 22-27
Reported damage values: 26, 25

This works correctly on the sim, but is incorrect on the damage calc and doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else.

Charlotte noticed that Mold Breaker was acting up with Sword of Ruin in the damage calc - namely, Mold Breaker was applying Sword of Ruin to Pokemon that had Sword of Ruin set as their ability.
This works correctly on the sim, but is incorrect on the damage calc and doesn't seem to be documented anywhere else.
This was just a problem with my damage calc, not Showdown's; it has since been fixed. From what I understand, the Ruin abilities use the same flag (correction: it's an array not a flag) as Full Metal Body/Shadow Shield/Prism Armor to prevent them from being affected by the debuffs.

Last edited:
I'm sorry if DLC2 mechanics questions aren't allowed here yet, so please remove this message if this isn't allowed yet.

There's a new move called Upper Hand.

Upper Hand is a base 65 fighting move with the following description: The user reacts to the target’s movement and strikes with the heel of its palm, making the target flinch. This move fails if the target is not readying a priority move.

This reads to me like it's a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch. It's 100% flinch (without the turn 1 restriction) but fails when the target is not using a priority move (like how Sucker Punch fails when the target is not using an attacking move).

There are other questions that I'm sure need to be investigated. I can't seem to find a source on its own priority level, so it's unclear if Upper Hand out-Fake Outs Fake Out. If it works against Protect. But that's not what I am interested in knowing.

I need to know: does it work against Prankster-boosted moves? Is Revive Cats dead?

Upper Hand will not work on a prankster mon that uses a status move.
I'm sorry if DLC2 mechanics questions aren't allowed here yet, so please remove this message if this isn't allowed yet.

There's a new move called Upper Hand.

Upper Hand is a base 65 fighting move with the following description: The user reacts to the target’s movement and strikes with the heel of its palm, making the target flinch. This move fails if the target is not readying a priority move.

This reads to me like it's a combination of Fake Out and Sucker Punch. It's 100% flinch (without the turn 1 restriction) but fails when the target is not using a priority move (like how Sucker Punch fails when the target is not using an attacking move).

There are other questions that I'm sure need to be investigated. I can't seem to find a source on its own priority level, so it's unclear if Upper Hand out-Fake Outs Fake Out. If it works against Protect. But that's not what I am interested in knowing.

I need to know: does it work against Prankster-boosted moves? Is Revive Cats dead?
It does not. Tested on cartridge.

To be clear, it doesn't work against prankster boosted moves. I am not fully sure if it out fake outs fake out. But I'll update this post if I find this out.

Question: How does Psychic Noise interact with Poison Heal and Regenerator? It’s the new Psychic move that prevents Pokemon from healing for 2 turns.
Specifically, will a Gliscor that’s poisoned take damage or simply not heal?
And if Toxapex switches out will have to wait to get that HP back or will it not heal at all or will it just ignore the effect because it heals while not being on the field?

Multiple sources claim that the 19th Tera type, "Stellar", grants a once-per-type-per-battle boost to attacks. What is that boost's multiplier? If you use the same move twice (in a non-Tera Raid battle), is only the first use boosted?

Serebii claims that the Stellar Tera type does not change your typing, weaknesses, resistances, etc. Can you please confirm this?

Does Terapagos change form to its "Stellar" form when you Terastallize it? Does it have to be of the Stellar Tera type in order to achieve this form? Can you even change your Terapagos's Tera type to something other than Stellar to begin with?

What type is Stellar Tera Blast? Forced Normal? The user's primary typing? ...Somehow blended with their secondary typing, if any? The claim is that it drops Attack and Special Attack by 1 stage each - is that against Terastallized opponents only? Does Contrary flip these debuffs, or do we have a Z-Move situation on our hands? Is Stellar Tera Blast still 80 BP?

Last edited:
Multiple sources claim that the 19th Tera type, "Stellar", grants a once-per-type-per-battle boost to attacks. What is that boost's multiplier? If you use the same move twice (in a non-Tera Raid battle), is only the first use boosted?

Serebii claims that the Stellar Tera type does not change your typing, weaknesses, resistances, etc. Can you please confirm this?

Does Terapagos change form to its "Stellar" form when you Terastallize it? Does it have to be of the Stellar Tera type in order to achieve this form? Can you even change your Terapagos's Tera type to something other than Stellar to begin with?
I saw on Moxie stream that Stellar Glimmora was still weak to ground moves, so there is that.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Does Stellar Tera Blast keeps STAB after the first use? It does have the same type as the user's Tera Type.

Does using Stellar Tera Blast have a power boost other than STAB when it's used the first time? (Asking because it lowers Attack and Special Attack.)

Edit: I noticed Toxtricity learns Psychic Noise, so I'm going to ask a question with a really obvious answer because someone had to ask it. Does Psychic Noise count as a sound move?

Last edited:

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
ou mod and council member here to ask the gamer nerds some questions

1: does the spatk/atk drop only apply when stellar tera blast hits super effectively? or does it just always lower your offenses?
2: does the effect of the stellar type stack with your stabs? if it doesn't, do you retain your stab on repeated use of it when tera'd?
3: how often does fickle beam's effect activate? ideally malignant chain’s effect too but i’m assuming that’s not possible to test rn

thanks for ur work and sorry if any of these have been answered already.

ou mod and council member here to ask the gamer nerds some questions

1: does the spatk/atk drop only apply when stellar tera blast hits super effectively? or does it just always lower your offenses?
2: does the effect of the stellar type stack with your stabs? if it doesn't, do you retain your stab on repeated use of it when tera'd?
3: how often does fickle beam's effect activate? ideally malignant chain’s effect too but i’m assuming that’s not possible to test rn

thanks for ur work and sorry if any of these have been answered already.
Perhaps this article can help you:
https://game8.co/games/Pokemon-Scarlet-Violet/archives/421484

I understood in this article that it works with stab the same way as other tera (we keep the "old stabs") but perhaps I didn't understand well, so people should check.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)