SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Good news, it'll have it chance to shine in the inevitable restricted format in 2 years :bat:
Unfortunately I’m not sure if it will, it has issues with most of the other(typically) good restricteds like the weather duo and lunala/calyrex-s, depending on if they return, it also has issues with incineroar:blobpensive:

Unfortunately I’m not sure if it will, it has issues with most of the other(typically) good restricteds like the weather duo and lunala/calyrex-s, depending on if they return, it also has issues with incineroar:blobpensive:
Incineroar definitely would negate its existance completely, but while we're all but guaranteed that all restricteds and leges return eventually, we're not guaranteed that about non-restricted.

Honestly, if i was GF, i'd actually leave Incineroar stuck in home-jail for this gen. I don't think anyone would be mad about that one.
i was thinking the same way, bisharps stats are solid but low enough that they could reasonably get a small bump without being absurd. tbh, i wonder if eviolite bisharp will be a decent option. his defensive typing is pretty good and he does learn stealth rock... no recovery whatsoever though.
Tbh it's not like people do run defensive Bisharp sets anyway.
You could likely run Eviolite instead of AV though, getting basically the same spdef boost without the penalty, to have a bulkier Sword Dance set for example.

I can definitely see it being a thing. A good thing? That i can't say.

Honestly, if i was GF, i'd actually leave Incineroar stuck in home-jail for this gen. I don't think anyone would be mad about that one.
I’m not the biggest incin fan, but typically incin is a necessary evil to deal with big threats that would otherwise be broken, and I’d rather have incin in the game than deal with a bunch of brokens that can’t be checked effectively. However, I would be fine with no incin in regional dex as there usually aren’t as many brokens that we need incin for

EDIT: Speaking of which, the theme of their stats is that the past mons have odd stat numbers and the future mons have even stat numbers.
y'know, if you strain your eyes you can kinda make out the coloured squares of the Pokémon below Valiant, which is more than likely one of the quartet.

If we're going with Green = 120 + / Light Green = 100 - 119 / Yellow = 85 - 99 / Red = 50 and below then the boxes show (with my eyesight);

HP - Green
Atk - Light Green
Def - Green
Spa - Red
SpD - Yellow
Spe - Red

So we could potentially see a spread of something like;

HP - 140
Atk - 115
Def - 140
Spa - 55
SpD - 90
Spe - 40

Assuming a general Trio/Quartet BST of 580, and given we know the typings/basis for them, I'm gonna say this is the Snail that is Grass/Dark (rip) If it is the Snail I'm expecting pitiful speed, huge defense/HP and decent attack. (Yes i'm so thirsty for the full datamine that i'm damaging my eyes to see slight box colours underneath) :smogonbird:

if i'm wrong do not @ me i will not respond i mean it

In defense of Gallade, the hair shape and overall green pigment is like Gardevoir's, but the side spikes (and therefore the white face itself) are clearly Gallade's as there are two per side and they are longer and sharper, as opposed to Gardevoir's frillier and 3-per-side ones. So it's a fusion of the two, having even elements from both.
Is the Iron Valiant Pokémon Gardevoir or Gallade? The leg shape + head makes me think Iron Valiant is predominantly Gardevoir with Gallade bits

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
y'know, if you strain your eyes you can kinda make out the coloured squares of the Pokémon below Valiant, which is more than likely one of the quartet.

If we're going with Green = 120 + / Light Green = 100 - 119 / Yellow = 85 - 99 / Red = 50 and below then the boxes show (with my eyesight);

HP - Green
Atk - Light Green
Def - Green
Spa - Red
SpD - Yellow
Spe - Red

So we could potentially see a spread of something like;

HP - 140
Atk - 115
Def - 140
Spa - 55
SpD - 90
Spe - 40

Assuming a general Trio/Quartet BST of 580, and given we know the typings/basis for them, I'm gonna say this is the Snail that is Grass/Dark (rip) If it is the Snail I'm expecting pitiful speed, huge defense/HP and decent attack. (Yes i'm so thirsty for the full datamine that i'm damaging my eyes to see slight box colours underneath) :smogonbird:

if i'm wrong do not @ me i will not respond i mean it
Did the exact same lol, not gonna blame you.

So given that these straight up two standard word things seem to be the Paradox mons' actual names, why? The Doxphans have normal names in Japanese, Great Tusk is イダイナキバ (Idainakiba) and Iron Treads is テツノワダチ (Tetsunowadachi), not multiple regular words.
Yes, but there aren't literal spaces in those names, plenty of Pokemon have Japanese names that are essentially multiple words stuck together. The Doxphans could have easily been Greatusk and Irotreads and gotten the same point across.
So I just discovered something even dumber about the Doxphans being literally Great Tusk and Iron Treads:
Even Italian (which uses the English names for all Pokémon other than Type: Null) and goddamn Spanish (which has never before differed from using the English names before and is generally a crap translation) bothered to give these fuckers actual names!

I am curious to how Smogon will handle Terastalize. I say this because if it works as they said it does, it would add a lot of unpredicatability to a fight. And help certain mons deal with certain weaknesses.

So I just discovered something even dumber about the Doxphans being literally Great Tusk and Iron Treads:
Even Italian (which uses the English names for all Pokémon other than Type: Null) and goddamn Spanish (which has never before differed from using the English names before and is generally a crap translation) bothered to give these fuckers actual names!

Type Null had a different Spanish name tho. Also, consistently on the level as the other European localizations.

The german ones aren't actual names. They just put two words together.
Riesenzahn = Giant Tooth
Eisenrad = Iron wheel

Even Italian (which uses the English names for all Pokémon other than Type: Null)
I don't want to break your hopes, but these names are just almost literal translations of the english name....

Grandi (big) Zanne (tusks)
Solco (step, or footprint) Ferreo (made of iron)

So are all the others.

The only reason they're localized is cause calling them "Iron Tusk" and so on would have just felt out of place.

Is the Iron Valiant Pokémon Gardevoir or Gallade? The leg shape + head makes me think Iron Valiant is predominantly Gardevoir with Gallade bits
It's supposed to be a fusion between the two, taking even elements from each. From Gallade it has:
  • His entire lower body (notice the lines on its feet and the overall bulkier appearance compared to gardevoir's, plus the obvious hips)
  • The cape (shape of it)
  • The blades (the motif at least)
  • The face and crest
From Gardevoir it picks up:
  • the upper torso and the shape of the spike in the middle
  • the position of the cape (does not generate from the back spike but from where gardevoir's gown would)
  • the arms (the gauntlet do resemble mega garde's but obviously look spikier because it's a robot)
  • the tint of green used for the "helmet" and the shape of it (the hair basically, as it has long hair going around the side spikes and reaches lower on the front, compared to Gallade's shorter front and back "hair"
Four from one, and four from the other. Perfectly balanced as all things should be (balance in pokemon lmao that's a good one).

what azteccroc is saying is that the donphan names in all other languages are all a single name with no spaces, like most proper pokemon names (theres plenty of name + name with no letters eaten mons out there), while the english names just decided to keep them as two proper nouns

I am curious to how Smogon will handle Terastalize. I say this because if it works as they said it does, it would add a lot of unpredicatability to a fight. And help certain mons deal with certain weaknesses.
I don't think it's going to be as impactful as dynamax was, because it doesn't seem like a get out of jail free card like that way - dynamax can partner well with any sort of sweeper/high offense abuser, whereas tera needs to have thought put into it, bc it doesn't save you the way that dmax does. i think the first season or so will be quite rough but once we get to DLC1 (if it goes that way again) it'll be figured out. but i can't see it saving low tier mons from their movepool issues the way that people think it will

It's as unpredictable as Hidden Power was, maybe little less predictable or even more predictable too. Depends on the Pokemon.
Also when a Pokemon is covering its weaknesses by Terastallizing, they get new weaknesses defensively and outside of Tera Blast they don't get a new move to use suddenly. Like Gyarados can become Grass for Power Whip STAB, but it's not like it didn't have Power Whip to beat Rotom-Wash before. Volcarona does now have Ground moves for Heatran with Tera Blast, but that then becomes a Volcarona Issue if Volcarona gets Earthpower this gen too (just using this as an example as Heatran isn't confirmed yet).

It's as unpredictable as Hidden Power was, maybe little less predictable or even more predictable too. Depends on the Pokemon.
Also when a Pokemon is covering its weaknesses by Terastallizing, they get new weaknesses defensively and outside of Tera Blast they don't get a new move to use suddenly. Like Gyarados can become Grass for Power Whip STAB, but it's not like it didn't have Power Whip to beat Rotom-Wash before. Volcarona does now have Ground moves for Heatran with Tera Blast, but that then becomes a Volcarona Issue if Volcarona gets Earthpower this gen too (just using this as an example as Heatran isn't confirmed yet).
Yeah, I feel like it's more strategic than just Dynamaxing and getting all these crazy nukes and buff along with a shitton of HP. It basically seems quite interesting strategy wise considering while some mons might not need it or it may not do much for others. There are some that could possibly thrive off of it.

The main thing with Terastalize is that it's unpredictable but at same time isn't, because outside of shenenigans with time going on people learn to know who'll teralize into what, kind of like in VGC you more or less know who the opponent is going to Dynamax.
There's also opportunity cost as the Tera-type is decided beforehand, and you can only teralyze a single pokemon, and the fact the transformation is permanent is a double-edged sword, as sure, you can teralyze heatran in a flying type to disregard ground types, but now your heatran can't swap into stealth rock anymore.

The fact you're not getting 3 Z-moves with extra effect nor double HP also severely puts it below Dynamax on power leve.

Time will tell.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
what do y'all think Bisharp's evolution will be like? It already has 490 BST. I personally think its going to get the Rhyperior stat treatment, which is like just +10 to a few stats. Rhydon also has 485 BST.

then again we recently got Ursaluna, and Ursaring's a BST of 500, so maybe it could go down that route and have more significant changes.

I could see it get the slightly slower but bulkier and harder hitting treatment from just looking at it, especially bc of how BIG it is compared to Bisharp.
Both Rhydon and Ursaring got a +50 BST increase with their evos, so either way it's safe to assume Bisharp evo will get a +50 BST boost. Electabuzz and Magmar are also similar cases.

Bisharp evo will likely have 540 BST going off precedence.

The main thing with Terastalize is that it's unpredictable but at same time isn't, because outside of shenenigans with time going on people learn to know who'll teralize into what, kind of like in VGC you more or less know who the opponent is going to Dynamax.
There's also opportunity cost as the Tera-type is decided beforehand, and you can only teralyze a single pokemon, and the fact the transformation is permanent is a double-edged sword, as sure, you can teralyze heatran in a flying type to disregard ground types, but now your heatran can't swap into stealth rock anymore.

The fact you're not getting 3 Z-moves with extra effect nor double HP also severely puts it below Dynamax on power leve.

Time will tell.
I think the difference is with Dynamax every Pokemon does it the same. A Dynamaxed Rotom W is going to be pretty much the same every time it does it.

A Terastalized Rotom W might be running super STAB Hydro Pump / Electric or just morph into anything to use Terra Beam (w/e it's called). Maybe it will Tera into another type but not run Terra Beam, instead using a more traditional NP / Pain Split set that exploits the new typing. Or maybe it simply won't use Tera at all. The question isn't "who will Terastalize" but more "who will do it, and what will they do with it".

earl

(EVIOLITE COMPATIBLE)
is a Community Contributor
no downside mentioned of tera is gonna outweigh the ability to either get an adapt stab or a 3rd stab for no offensive cost. No item slot, no nothing, gonna be obnoxious to play against. At least dmax checked itself due to how broken it was in every aspect

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 10)