SPOILERS! Scarlet & Violet Leaks Thread - Data/Mechanics

Literally who...

Never mind that. I hope that Mega was worth it, because now they haven't gotten an evo despite very obviously needing one. Megas are the most likely cause for that.

Anything that didn't have a 3rd stage shouldn't even have been considered when developing Megas since they could still evolve, but GF messed up. Good job to everyone involved.

Also, if we're being honest, Megas reek. Power creep like crazy, a lot of horrendous designs, and a lot of the mons that got it were either busted or suffered for it because they're doomed to be trash forever without them.

Oh right, thanks for reminding me of the ones that flat-out sucked and were wastes of Mega Slots.

It's great that they're gone, and I sincerely hope they stay gone.
Pinsir's always had a fanbase since it's always been in Heracross' shadow. It's the 'bad' Bug that people always liked, but it was just "Worse Heracross".

Mawile, well, you know.

One of the issues with Megas from a dev perspective is that each mega is handcrafted to each Pokemon when they were first made. While there haven't been interviews about why they were removed to my knowledge, the most likely answer is effort and expectations. It definitely wasn't because of balance when they made Zacian-C and Dynamax after all, and there hasn't been a real balance patch in Pokemon like you'd see in fighting games.

RoiDadadou

Nothing less... from a king.
is a Pre-Contributor
Does anyone know the Pokédex categories/species for the following Pokémon? These are the only ones I'm still missing.
  • Wugtrio
  • Dondozo
  • Dolliv
  • Arboliva
  • Scovillain
  • Revavroom
  • Frigibax
  • Arctibax
  • Baxcalibur
  • Pawmo
  • Pawmot
  • Masbosstiff
  • Brambleghast
On the doc.

I think part of the problem with Megas was the insistence from GF to give all of them a 100 BST boost. Some pokémon could have used more than that, while others should have just been a reshuffling of their stats + a new ability. I think that would have been healthier in the long term.

Also, Mega Audino should have been retconned to have Triage in Gen VII.

RoiDadadou

is a Pre-Contributor
I think part of the problem with Megas was the insistence from GF to give all of them a 100 BST boost. Some pokémon could have used more than that, while others should have just been a reshuffling of their stats + a new ability. I think that would have been healthier in the long term.

Also, Mega Audino should have been retconned to have Triage in Gen VII.
Thats what I like with Paradox. A set BST of 570 is great, 'cause it nerfs good Poké and buff trash ones, while allowing more stats redistribution.

churine

lunatic+
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i will not tolerate pinsir slander of any kind

that said, i think the fundamental issue with mega is not that half of them are insanely busted or whatever but more so due to the fact that with each mega evolution comes a new design and a held item needed for that mon to mega evolve. frankly, megas were probably just more effort to make than the other gimmicks which is probably why they havent been seen since sm. you need to not have artists block (think mega flygon), allocate 100 bst and an ability (doesnt have to be balanced), and code a new held item in and find a location to place it in that feels somewhat rewarding to get. the other gimmicks dont really have these problems in comparison. for zmoves its just a universal animation for a handful of moves and items, dmax the mon gets bigger and doesnt need item though gmax makes things interesting, and tera is just tf2 throw in a funny hat no held item needed.

You guys are thinking too hard about the megas and gamefreak's mindset. Breaking it down its a 100 point addition to a bst, with a new look. New typing and ability are possible but not a guarantee. The people who argue with "artist block" or effort didn't stop them from making gigantamax forms on top of dynamax, or paradox forms of old mons, or continued regional forms.

I think another thing going for megas, is that it is still -the same old pokemon- the problem with regional forms now is that its the same pokemon, -but not really- with cases like obstagoon and sirfetch'd taking something the originals would have liked. Legends Arceus brought back evolutions for old pokemon but the effects of regional forms taking away from the classics is still there.

CTNC

Doesn't know how to attack
Something stupid: Greavard doesn't learn Will-O-Wisp even though it has a candle on its head, but its evolution Houndstone does.

Something awesome for my favorite Pokemon: Altaria learns Will-O-Wisp now! It's now one of the few Pokemon that aren't Fire or Ghost that learns it, which gives it another niche the that Dragon/Flying types don't have and Will-O-Wisp + Defog is a rare move combo for Pokemon that aren't x4 weak to Rock. Does this mean Altaria is good now? No. Probably not until/unless Mega Evolutions return, but Altaria is still better! :D

RoiDadadou

is a Pre-Contributor
i will not tolerate pinsir slander of any kind

that said, i think the fundamental issue with mega is not that half of them are insanely busted or whatever but more so due to the fact that with each mega evolution comes a new design and a held item needed for that mon to mega evolve. frankly, megas were probably just more effort to make than the other gimmicks which is probably why they havent been seen since sm. you need to not have artists block (think mega flygon), allocate 100 bst and an ability (doesnt have to be balanced), and code a new held item in and find a location to place it in that feels somewhat rewarding to get. the other gimmicks dont really have these problems in comparison. for zmoves its just a universal animation for a handful of moves and items, dmax the mon gets bigger and doesnt need item though gmax makes things interesting, and tera is just tf2 throw in a funny hat no held item needed.
GF stated that they dropped Megas because they wanted the mecanics to be accessible to "any Pokémon, especially YOUR favorite one", and not just a bunch of pre selected ones. Removing the 'item collectionning' aspect of Megas and Z-moves also serves to make the new mecanics as accessible as possible. So I doubt we'll ever see 'group limited'/'item needing' mecanics ever again.

GF stated that they dropped Megas because they wanted the mecanics to be accessible to "any Pokémon, especially YOUR favorite one", and not just a bunch of pre selected ones. Removing the 'item collectionning' aspect of Megas and Z-moves also serves to make the new mecanics as accessible as possible. So I doubt we'll ever see 'group limited'/'item needing' mecanics ever again.
Does make one wonder where they'll go in gen 10.

So Clodsire has a spiny theme to it except for its design. Am I right in thinking that spines poke out of parts of its body for some of its animations?

Introducing the Minamaxing ! Minmax all of your stats, by becoming 1cm tall!
You joke, but I actually was kinda excited for Dynamax because it was an in-universe name for extreme size difference.

Too bad the mechanic itself was so underwhelming. I like tiny things better, so let's hope Minamaxing is more interesting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 4)