Votes: 12 36.4%
  • KellyKafka

Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Chloe

Votes: 12 36.4%

• Total voters
Screwface Capital

(click sprites for paste dummy)

Hiiiiiii, this is my first ever RMT so if i say/do something stupid please don’t hate me :3. So, I’ve been in the pu community for a while now and i feel this past year (or possibly more idk lol) has been wonderful and I just want to thank the community for accepting my edgy and annoying self. I thought now would be an amazing time for an RMT bc i’m hitting 200 posts :) and another reason that you’ll see at the end :3. I’ve had a blast using this team and it’s one of my favourites so I’m very excited to show it to y’all. This was one of my first post-Mesprit meta teams and I feel that it’s better than ever right now, also s/o to gum for helping me tweak the team slightly bc i know nothing about post-Mes meta lol.

Team-building Process

Tangela is able to force out the likes of Mudsdale, Gurdurr, Stoutland, Specially Defensive Sandslash-Alola and many more. Tangela possesses a lot of role compression here. Tangela provides the squad with a pivot and a physical wall.

After adding an answer to Gurdurr and Jellicent, I realized that I needed some offensive firepower and a solid wincon. Omastar fits this agenda perfectly and synergizes extremely well with Tangela type-wise.

At this point, It was evident that this team was extremely Eelektross weak. Lanturn acts as a slow pivot, a soft check to Eelektross, a reliable answer to electric types and lastly, Heal Bell helps the stall matchup.

Mudsdale is the rocker of the team. It also gives the team a secondary Primeape switchin and another Electric resist which helps significantly as my wincon dislikes facing any electric type. Toxic also eases the matchup against the likes of Tangela and Eelektross.

Choice Scarf Alolaslash provided several useful jobs to this team, for example: providing solid hazard control; a Victreebel answer as the rest of the team is extremely weak to it; solid speed control and lastly helps the hail matchup significantly.

Oricorio-Senu acts as a secondary Victreebel answer, spinblocker, fighting resist and a fatter wincon. It sort of glues the team together in a way and is a super underrated mon in the current meta imo.

Lastly, I decided to replace Alolaslash with Cryogonal because I keep most of the positives from having scarf slash such as speed control and hazard removal whilst also losing the ground weakness and being locked into a single move

A closer look at the team.

“What have you done for your siblings?
I made sure that the family's sweet
So many days that I starved myself just to make sure that my whole family eats”

Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

Tangela is a fantastic physical wall at the moment and really works in this team due to its ability to counter almost every physical attacker in the tier. With access to Regenerator, Tang becomes the perfect pivot. For this specific set, I went for Sleep Powder rather than Leech Seed. This is because sleep opens up many opportunities for Omastar to come in and sweep the opposition.

“One eye on my opps, two eyes on my friends
'Cause at least my opps, man knows their intentions”

Omastar @ Waterium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Omastar is the star of the team. Omastar is able to pull back many games that seem to be unwinnable just by clicking Shell Smash. On this team, I went for Waterium Z because I already have means of weakening Lanturn such as Cryogonal, Tangela and potentially Mudsdale. +2 Water Z nails almost anything standing in Omastar’s way. This thing is a beast.
“I got ninety-nine out of a hundred marks in class on my English questions
I'd get the same if I did it again 'cause I still don't know the definition of restin'”

Lanturn @ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 40 HP / 220 Def / 248 SpD
Calm Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Toxic
- Heal Bell

Lanturn is a vital part of the team due to its insane role compression. Firstly, being a slow pivot, Lanturn opens up so many opportunities for Omastar or Sensu to set up. Toxic also helps these two as it makes Omastars job of sweeping much easier by chipping and wearing down the opponent. Lastly, I opted for Heal Bell rather than Protect as the stall matchup looked fairly weak due to a lack of status absorbers.​

“We hit up a nigga and see who's on smoke when it's that time,
You can run that shit there and it's cool but you can't hear like a bad line”

Mudsdale @ Figy Berry
Ability: Stamina
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 SpD
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Rock Slide

Mudsdale provides the team with several useful roles. One of these is access to Stealth Rock. This gives the team a way to gain chip on the opposition to give Omastar a much easier time sweeping. Mudsdale also gives the team a secondary fighting switchin which is always appreciated on a team with a wincon that outright loses to some of them. Toxic support from Mudsdale is also appreciated heavily as it also gains chip on the opposing team and can cripple pivots such as Primeape and Tangela. I decided to add Rock Slide instead of Protect as it nails Cryogonal and Froslass which I have little to no counterplay to.
"I do not have one neek as a friend
If it's beef on the ends than it's bleaker for them
This ting's comin' like Pokemon GO
'Cause I see man once, never seen him again"

Cryogonal @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 52 SpD / 200 Spe
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Freeze-Dry
- Recover
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

Cryogonal has a vital role in the team because of its amazing role compression. Along with being a great hazard remover, Cryogonal is an answer to Victreebel along side Sensu and an additional ground resist which is extremely useful as Earthquake is an extremely common move on most, if not all teams. I chose Defog over Rapid Spin as I found it to be much more reliable as Cryogonal is not able to 1v1 Cursed Body Jellicent or Froslass which are some of the most common spinblockers in the tier. HP Fighting is here to nail hail cores that include Aurorus bc the matchup isnt very pleasant.

“It's been fifteen minutes since me and her fucked and I'm sayin' "What you still in the house for?"
Girls say I'm rude but they won't never leave, 'cause you know the jab right like southpaws”

Oricorio-Sensu @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Lastly, I opted for an Oricorio-Sensu as my last choice to further ease the matchup against stall and Victreebel. Due to its typing, Sensu also provides the team with a ground and fighting resist. With Calm Mind, Sensu becomes a solid wincon and Taunt helps my stall matchup significantly as I am able to completely shut down and set up on stall staples such as Pyukumuku and Tangela.

Threatlist

Victreebel (aka treeb) punches huge holes into this team if played well and Grass Z into Leaf Storm is able to completely knock Sensu out and Cryogonal after rocks. Physical treeb is even more menacing as it is able to break through the aforementioned switchins with ease after an SD.

/
Hail cores are able to tear through this team if played well. Aurorus can smash through most of the team by clicking Freeze-Dry and HP Rock lets it rock Cryogonal (pun intended). To counter this, you can go scarf alolaslash over Cryogonal or play extremely aggressively.
Combusken, physical or special, is able to break this team very effectively due to its coverage and Speed Boost. To counter this, keep Lanturn healthy throughout the battle and make sure to scout for Z. Sensu is also able able to pressure physical busken as it clicks Protect as a last minute attempt at stopping it.

Replays
just noticed all the replays i have dont show how the team works ;-; i'll edit this later and add some new replays

Shoutouts
oh boy, here we go. the most dreaded part of this rmt. if i forget anybody, im so sorry i havent slept :(( also this isnt in any order.

and s/o to everyone in suu, nfe, gg, zu etc. if i were to add all of you it would just be a huge spam hl sorry ;-;

Final words
So with this RMT coming to an end, there's something I've been thinking of doing for quite a while now and I think now is the perfect time to finally get it off my chest. I've decided that I'll be taking a step back from PU as a competitive tier, meaning I'll mostly stop joining and playing in official tournaments for a while to focus on my irl life and to sort of move on from pu but I will not leave the community necessarily. My reasoning is mostly due to important exams that will be coming up very soon so I've decided to focus on those more than mons. The time I've spent in the tier has been wonderful and I've enjoyed every second of it, this community is genuinely wonderful and the discord is such a nice place to be in. Thank you all for being such wholesome cuties.

Last edited:

ShuckleDeath

They call me the kign of typos
is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Hello PhantomHurious and thank you for the shoutout,

I put a lot of effort in looking over this team, and at the end of it I have to be frank by saying I think it is pretty flawed, unfortunately. It has some good points such as your using good sets and there seems to be effort into trying to have some kind of defensive synergy which is a basic teambuilding skill I am glad to see. When you look a little deeper, however, you can start to see how it doesn't really work well in practice. While you may have a Pokemon dedicated to checking something like Victreebel the team doesn't seem to take cores into account. While Oricorio-Sensu can deal with Victreebel your team as a whole has trouble dealing with something like Victreebel paired with a Mudsdale and Eelektross. The Omastar feels like it was randomly selected as well. There is not much support in helping it to successfully clean and break, which is very problematic as Omastar while being powerful, lacks speed, even after a Shell Smash. It also has some hard checks that are very common in the metagame right now, which only further compounds the problem of having a lack of support. I have some changes that can help but this team is so fundamentally flawed in my opinion it would be an injustice to you to not try and break down why.

:tangela::omastar::lanturn::mudsdale:

Looking at your first four Pokemon you can see a lot of the problems come from these original choices. All four of them share a weakness to Victreebel which is why I think the last two feel very forced, if you know what I mean. I think Pairing Omastar immediately with Tangela with what seems to be defensive synergy as the reasoning kind of made the rest of the team really defensive oriented while trying to still be offensive, which fundamentally doesn't work. Basically these Pokemon compound each others weaknesses, while also not adding much in terms of speed control or wallbreaking.

I think the biggest problem with the team is both the lack of Wallbreaking and speed control. Your team lacks power and is slow, but is not stall this leaves the team weak to both stall and offensive teams more so the latter as Oricorio-Sensu does do a decent job against stall. On top of this it has trouble breaking down opposing balanced teams as I stated earlier because the lack of a true wallbreaker. I think when building balance you really need to check the boxes early in terms of speed control, wallbreakers and hazards / control or you may end up in this state where its not quite balance but not quite stall.

Pokemon Changes:

:lanturn: ---> :Rotom-frost:
:sm/Rotom-frost:
Rotom-Frost @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Blizzard
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Defog / Trick

Lanturn did some good things for your team as having both a cleric and a pivot is very nice for slower teams like this. I did do a few test games with your team, both as is and with changes and at the end of it all it was abundantly clear you absolutely need a Choice Scarf user on this team. Silvally-Fairy only hits a 95 base speed tier, and even that is hard to deal with as the Pokemon on the team that could out speed it was Cryogonal. With no way to outpace and revenge kill even moderately slower Pokemon was a huge problem. I chose Rotom-Frost for a couple reasons, the main one being it pivots just like Lanturn did. I also feel you don't need a super fast Choice Scarf user as your team has enough walls to deal with faster Choice Scarf Pokemon, it is just that when you are getting outpaced by powerful wallbreakers with no way to revenge kill them and when you struggle to take repeated attacks the team folds really quickly. I put Defog in the set as it helps your Oricorio and in general hazards wear your team down really easily. Trick can still be effective in helping to cripple opposing balanced teams still, so it is really up to you to pick your poison here.

:mudsdale: ---> :sandslash-alola:
:sm/sandslash-alola:
Sandslash-Alola @ Chople Berry
Ability: Slush Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 208 SpD / 48 Spe
Careful Nature
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
- Earthquake

Your team is so very Ice-type weak I think this is really the only Stealth Rock user that can help to patch up some of your weaknesses. This helps ease some of the pressure Aurorus applies to your team as it gives you a switch into Freeze-Dry. It also gives you a way of dealing with Oricorio-Pom-Pom, which is why you should go Chople Berry here. Knock Off is a nice utility move to add in here as it helps with crippling some of the bulky Eviolite users that plague your team, such as Gurdurr.

:cryogonal: ---> :hitmonchan:
:sm/hitmonchan:
Hitmonchan @ Assault Vest
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 156 HP / 224 Atk / 128 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Thunder Punch
- Rapid Spin

Assault Vest Hitmonchan does two very important things for your team. the Main one being giving you a way to deal with Hail teams as in all honesty before they just got auto wins against your team, now you have a way of dealing with Alolan Sandslash in Hail via Mach Punch. This also gives you a way of dealing with Aurous, which Cryogonal also did. Secondly it gives you an easy way of dealing with Eelektross, which doesn't seem like that big of deal but the cold hard truth is that Eelektross before this change pretty much single handily beat your entire team. The priority of Mach Punch is also just super nice for your team in general, this is a pretty easy change that I feel is necessary.

Set Changes:

:tangela:
:sm/tangela:
Tangela @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpA
Bold Nature
- Giga Drain
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Knock Off ---> Leech Seed
- Sleep Powder ---> Synthesis

The combonation of Leech Seed and Synthisis does tings for your team I feel you should really consider. Together they give you another way of beating Gurdurr, espcially if you manage to get a Knock Off on it with Alolan Sandslash. Synthisis just really helps Tangela check all the Pokemon it needs to as you are relying on it to beat Normal-Types as well as scouting Aggron. You alos need it for things like Kabutops, Lycanroc, Primeape and pretty much all other non physical attackers so I really feel you need to go Synthesis here. Leech Seed also helps your Tangelas longevity as well as helping to get recovery back on Hitmonchan and Alolan Sandslash as you will more likely then not be switching them in to whatever comes in on Tangela. The cool thing about the upgraded team set up is that grass types that block this bit of healing are dealt with between Rotom-Frost, Alolan Sandslash, and Oricorio-Sensu.

:omastar:
:sm/omastar:
Omastar @ Waterium Z ---> Groundium Z
Ability: Weak Armor
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Shell Smash
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power

Between Rotom-Frost and Oricorio-Sensu you are going to want a way to nuke Lanturn and this is a great way to do it. I think this change isn't 100% necessary but it does help with letting the other win cons on the team achieve a win much easier. You can also stick with Hydro Vortex, this helps Omastar win a bit eaiser while still hitting Lanturn hard with Earth Power, but that would make the team a bit harder to pilot in that regard.

:oricorio-sensu:
:sm/oricorio-sensu:
Oricorio-Sensu @ Rocky Helmet ---> Colbur Berry
Ability: Dancer
EVs: 248 HP / 68 Def / 192 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Roost
- Taunt
- Hurricane

Having an easier time switching into Gurdurr seems more important then punishing U-turn. That is really about all I can say here.

Team Changes <--- Click for Importable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)