Secret Hogmanay

Estarossa

moo?
is a Site Content Manageris an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Battle Simulator Moderator
C&C Leader
Pairings have all been released for those who have now submitted their requests, if people who have not had a chance yet send me them I will continue to pair people up, but everyone else feel free to start working on this!

The deadline for these submissions is a tentative 21st January, but the earlier you can submit them the better! Make sure to post the request in this thread when they are done and tag the person who requested the team, and let me know if you need any help with the teams.

:Raikou: :Politoed: Raikou rain :Politoed: :Raikou:
Twilight
Had some free time so built this cool rain squad for you :3
:Raikou:
Raikou @ Air Balloon
Ability: Pressure
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Rain Dance
- Scald
- Volt Switch
- Thunder

Set explanation:
- Ohkos treads with rain boosted scald.
- Can be used to setup rain if poli is dead
- Comes in on the electric types that threaten your water types
- Change scald for weather ball if you feel its not doing enough damage
- Basically a zapdos but slightly faster
- Rain dance is backup in case poli dies early somehow

:Barraskewda:
Barraskewda @ Choice Band
Ability: Swift Swim
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Psychic Fangs
- Flip Turn
- Liquidation
- Aqua Jet

Set explanation:
- Main rain sweeper
- Very few water immunities or mons that can take 2 liquidations in rain
- Psy fangs for amoon, idt cc is needed unless struggling with hoodra (who tenta or tink should wall)

:Tinkaton:
Tinkaton @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
Tera Type: Flying
EVs: 252 HP / 64 Def / 192 SpD
Careful Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Gigaton Hammer
- Knock Off
- Encore

Set explanation:
- Checks oger, lati, kix(kinda), and kommo-o (kinda)
- Sets hazards to break sashes and sturdy
- Can encore slow setup sweepers
- ALWAYS DOUBLE OUT TO BARRA IF THEY HAVE A TREADS AND YOU HAVE THIS IN

Calcs:
252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 64 Def Tinkaton: 105-125 (28 - 33.4%) -- 92.9% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery. you ohko back
252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. 252 HP / 192+ SpD Tinkaton: 84-100 (22.4 - 26.7%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

:Politoed:
Politoed @ Damp Rock
Ability: Drizzle
Tera Type: Steel
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SpA / 8 SpD
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Haze
- Rain Dance
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Set explanation:
- Rain setter
- Not a good mon tbh
- Rain dance and surf instead of weather ball for ttar and veil (rain dance on switch in)
- 9 times out of 10 lead this and save it

:Greninja-Ash:
Greninja-Bond @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Water Shuriken
- Dark Pulse
- Ice Beam

Set explanation:
- Specs hydro can break through a lot of things and strong priority to revenge
- Ice beam for hydrapple and grasses
- Dark pulse for water immunities
- Sludge wave can 2hko av azu but not recommended
- Grass knot can be used for gastro and stuff but dark pulse is better overall and can somewhat deal with the water absorbers
- Click hydro 99% of the time

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Alomomola in Rain: 318-375 (59.5 - 70.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 84 SpD Amoonguss in Rain: 186-220 (43 - 50.9%) -- 98% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 SpA Choice Specs Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo in Rain: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

:Tentacruel:
Tentacruel @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
Tera Type: Ground
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Flip Turn
- Surf
- Giga Drain
- Rapid Spin

Set explanation:
- Sits on water types who try to abuse your rain and can giga drain
- Main pivot
- Main hazard removal
- Moth check (none run discharge trust me and even if they do it does 60 with no spdef and spatk booster)
- Feel free to run more bulk if you have trouble against specs gren or anything like that
- Swap giga drain for sludge wave if having trouble against grasses

Calcs:
252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Surf vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Tentacruel in Rain: 141-166 (38.7 - 45.6%) -- 72.3% chance to 3HKO after Rain Dish recovery and Black Sludge recovery
252+ SpA Tentacruel Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Keldeo: 142-168 (43.9 - 52%) -- 11.7% chance to 2HKO

Pokepaste: https://pokepast.es/2c70bc16ba033bc9
Team struggles with grass types

Got to 1600+ on a new alt will probably try to get 1700ish. Not the best team but its pretty solid
Game plan is basically lead poli, use tenta or raikou to get in the threats and then pick up kos
Hope you enjoy the team :)

Last edited:

Amane Misa

Bring Them Home Now!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Estarossa
SD Tentacruel
:Tentacruel: :Latios: :Garchomp: :Tornadus-Therian: :Conkeldurr: :tinkaton:

With an Attack stat even lower than Alomomola’s, Tentacruel hits the impressive benchmark of not even being able to OHKO AV Tornadus-T at +2 with Tera Water. With that said, it has access to Rapid Spin and a good typing, so it might have some setup opportunities in some games (although I doubt it’ll be able to accomplish anything with them).

Latios helps with Speed control and Memento is nice to generate a setup opportunity. Garchomp sets up both SR and Spikes because Tentacruel needs as much chip as possible to do anything. Tornados-T was chosen here because there is no BO without it. Conkeldurr was added next because Tentacruel can’t break anything, and Tinkaton patches up the team’s weaknesses and destroys cheese so it glued the team really well.

With that said, I went undefeated with it in the 1600s so it can’t be that bad.

Enjoy!

https://pokepast.es/879f221677af7e1e

Hydrapple+Terrakion accelerated volt-turn
request by Melt Gibson
https://pokepast.es/1eece4da0377c20c
Terrakion is a very powerful mon that everyone forgot about. I chose salac berry to clean up games after the rest of your team spreads around some nice chip damage. A tera type of grass can also allow you to sub on pokemon like mola and tankchomp eq which is guaranteed to not break sub with this ev spread

Hydrapple's low speed stat and weakness to u-turn makes it so that NP sets take too much chip and aren't able to fire off the big moves before being forced out. I opted for choice specs which will almost always decimate every core even blissey will run out off pps after repeated onslaughts of draco meteors, all out fickle beams, and leaf storms. It's even topped off with regenerator and a tera type of steel to deny chip accumulation

Terrakion and hydrapple are quite powerful, but their exploitable typings can make them hard to switch in. So I decided to add a choice band scizor and a pseudo offensive washtom to accumulate chip to apply consistent pressure and to give our main breakers opportunites to switch in and fire off their powerful, unresisted hits

I added swampert due to it's ability to block volt switches, pivot with flip turn, set stealth rocks, knock off to remove hdb and rocky helmets so that your team will almost always accumulate chip faster than theirs. A rindo berry (grass resist) also allows swampert to check iron moth and break ogerpon's sturdy

Lastly, a mandibuzz is arguably the best removal option in the tier which is neccessary for a team with a lot of switching and not a lot of boots. Toxic is not needed as you will often be forcing opponents to switch out every turn

Ironwill3004
Porygon-z rain
:politoed: :barraskewda: :greninja: :amoonguss: :Tornadus-therian: :porygon-z:
This team revolves around the rain playstyle, porygon can be insanely threatning if it gets a spa atk boost thanks to download if u switch it into the right mon, with it having tri attack,100 percent accurate thunders in rain and icebeam and trick for defensive mons like gastrodon, which is a good switchin to this mon

nasty plot tornadus is for the several threatning grass types like sinistea, amoonguss, ogerpon, hydrapple which are problems for this team. Eject button amoonguss to bring in one of ur rain mons easily and also to check electric types which are a huge problem to this team

Hope you like it
https://pokepast.es/1c857f0b544955f3

LilOu I had fun building and testing Braviary-H. I ended up making three different teams of it during my testing so I'll just give all of them. I'll only give a brief explanation of the first as I used that the most.

This one was really fun even if it isn't very consistent. Forretress gets a hazard or two up and clicks Boom or save the Custap for when needed. Staraptor can also be a lead to just click Final Gambit or simply use it to drop some dangerous threat during the mid/end game. Usually, the best checks to Staraptor are Steel-types so potentially catching them opens up room for Braviary-H. Agility Sheer Force Braviary seemed like the best choice here making it harder to revenge. Manaphy is a potent balance breaker and acts as a check to Greninja. Garchomp is an Elec immunity and an offensive powerhouse, usually forcing your opponent into an annoying position after a Scale Shot. Finally, Cobalion rounds it off as a check to Scizor and Ogerpon. I found it to be pretty effective as a breaker/cleaner too. Use tera on your guys to not fold to Latios :blobthumbsup:

Made a more standard version, which aimed to solve the middling Speed with Webs. Went with CM Tinted Lens on this one.

Finally, Psychic Terrain. I know it doesn't get the boost because it is a Flying-type but if you get the Agility off and tera it can pop off.

Enjoy!

LilOu

PO poopyhead
LilOu I had fun building and testing Braviary-H. I ended up making three different teams of it during my testing so I'll just give all of them. I'll only give a brief explanation of the first as I used that the most.

This one was really fun even if it isn't very consistent. Forretress gets a hazard or two up and clicks Boom or save the Custap for when needed. Staraptor can also be a lead to just click Final Gambit or simply use it to drop some dangerous threat during the mid/end game. Usually, the best checks to Staraptor are Steel-types so potentially catching them opens up room for Braviary-H. Agility Sheer Force Braviary seemed like the best choice here making it harder to revenge. Manaphy is a potent balance breaker and acts as a check to Greninja. Garchomp is an Elec immunity and an offensive powerhouse, usually forcing your opponent into an annoying position after a Scale Shot. Finally, Cobalion rounds it off as a check to Scizor and Ogerpon. I found it to be pretty effective as a breaker/cleaner too. Use tera on your guys to not fold to Latios :blobthumbsup:

Made a more standard version, which aimed to solve the middling Speed with Webs. Went with CM Tinted Lens on this one.

Finally, Psychic Terrain. I know it doesn't get the boost because it is a Flying-type but if you get the Agility off and tera it can pop off.

Enjoy!
HAHA that's so funnnyyyy

days ago i was watching a video of joey laddering in uu using a raikou team he got from ashlinn, when all of a sudden one of the opponents he gets had a braviary team...and a custom avatar of cinthya + arcanine (twilight ofc)

i suspected it was you who was testing the team for me haha. nice!

Screenshot 2024-01-15 at 10.22.07.png

sadly, that tornadus had icy winddd, either way, i'll try them out! thank youuu

Slip

dancing to alarm bells
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Happy Hogmanay ThatOneApple! You picked the very fitting hydrapple + metagross core, so I have came up with 2 teams that were centered around just that. I have also included team peaks if you care about that tho I only spent like maybe 2 days laddering.

:hydrapple: :metagross: :quaquaval: :rhyperior: :tornadus-therian: :fezandipiti: (click me!)
First team I wanted to bring some GIGA heat, so that is exactly what I did. Tera blast over ep on apple to not insta lose to chomp, trick iron ball metagross to deal with speed problems, spin quaq for snowball potential, dtail rhyp to phase setup mons, AV torn to help with speed and share hits across the team, and lastly Fez to spread poison and scare out dragons as well (tho poison typing doesnt help much). I somehow hit top 100 on ladder with this monstrosity of a team, so I figured I would might as well share it lmao. Some things you could change is the tera on rhyp or fez to make the dragon mu easier, boots on torn since we have a good amount of spdef investment already, and ev's on metagross since I kinda just hit the speed tier I wanted and then put what looked good (felt fine).

1705381043194.png

:hydrapple: :metagross: :alomomola: :garganacl: :thundurus: :iron treads: (click me!)
This team is definitely a different route that is a bit more consistant (I hopped on another alt and lost all my points with the first team lol). The biggest threat is definitely sini as the team has half checks at best. I have found the best way is to ware it down with tera poison garg, and then finish it off with iron treads or metagross. Hydrapple also outspeeds a lot of the tanky versions, so there is a chance you can just NP up on it and kill it before it kills you. AV metagross takes a bunch of SpAtk hits and is probably the best lati answer in the game. You can also check gengar as long as you are above like 75% hp which is a nice slice of life on the ladder. Alo is just an insane wish user so adding that seemed like a no brainer in order to get a regen core and something to heal up the rest of the mons. Garg is an annoyance and another potential sweeper vs other teams (covert cloak to beat oppo garg, luster purge lati, anything that really wants to spdef drop you tbh). I put tera poison for the sini issue and lack of tspikes absorber, but you could probably switch it this mon has insane tera options. Thundurus has twave for speed control and is great for a 2nd pivot option (u-turn to not get stuck on grounds, but you could also tera ice probably if you care less about pivoting on a team like this). Lastly speed treads to help with emergency speed problems and to set up rocks and keep them off of our side. This one also seems to be able to hang in the top 500 at least so it should be fun to ladder with.

1705381101333.png

this one was maybe an hour of laddering with this team I kinda made it last minute then got tired.

Hope you enjoy! :)

I have never built stall before so there are definitely improvements to be made
Ditto Para Stall for starbitstorm
:ditto: :bellibolt: :deoxys-defense: :blissey: :empoleon: :mandibuzz:

:ditto:
pretty self explanatory. Tries to come in, take the boosts and beat the pesky offense in their own game.

:bellibolt:
our main Para spreader. Tries to come in on physical attackers and punish them with Static Procs. Then it can try to fish for Discharge Para for additional 30% roll. Tera Steel helps it eat hits from non-Low Kick Ogerpon variants, as this mon does not often make contact for static to proc. Alternatively Belli can forgo Para fishing in favor of Toxic.
+2 252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Ivy Cudgel vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Steel Bellibolt: 141-167 (33.4 - 39.5%) -- 20.4% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252 Atk Cornerstone Mask Ogerpon-Cornerstone Power Whip vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tera Steel Bellibolt: 169-200 (40 - 47.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 Atk Ceruledge Bitter Blade vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellibolt: 109-130 (25.8 - 30.8%) -- 5.2% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Psychic Fangs vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellibolt: 180-213 (42.6 - 50.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ Atk Choice Band Metagross Heavy Slam (100 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Bellibolt: 105-125 (24.8 - 29.6%) -- 0% chance to 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

:deoxys-defense:
secondary spreader but also a hazards setter. Setting up spikes on physical attackers and paralysisng them with Thunder Wave. Can also use knock off instead of Night Shade to try to get rid of opponents items and make progress.

:blissey:
special wall, whos role is very similar to Deoxys'. Paralyses special attackers like Latias while also setting up Stealth Rock to punish any switches it forces. Tera Dark helps it avoid any funny situations with Luster Purge SpDef drops.

:empoleon:
our second special wall, a phaser AND pivot. Empoleons natural good typing and bulk let's it eat hits from quiet a few top special attackers in the tier. It matches very well into Iron Moth, Greninja and non-Aura Sphere Latios specifically and can force them out to lose boosts. Roar then allows it to either phase them out or try to punish physical attackers switching in on it, or it can just Flip Turn on whatever it forced out. Tera Ghost serves the purpose of spin blocking but also makes Empoleon immune to Ceruledge CC and Secret Sword from Keldeo.
+1 252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Dark Pulse vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 153-183 (41.1 - 49.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

132 SpA Iron Moth Fiery Dance vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 91-108 (24.4 - 29%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 114-134 (30.6 - 36%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252 SpA Choice Specs Latios Luster Purge vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 83-98 (22.3 - 26.3%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

+2 252+ SpA Tera Dark Moltres-Galar Fiery Wrath vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Empoleon: 256-302 (68.8 - 81.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

:mandibuzz:
final member of our team and the one who likes us spreading Paralysis the most. Thanks to naturally not the worst speed tier Mandibuzz can outspeed most if not all Paralysed threats to either punish their setting up with now faster than them Foul Play or prevent them from setting up in the first place with now fast Taunt. Mandi also clears hazards on our side of the field to keep Ditto healthy whenever it switches in.

Hope, you find the team satisfying!

ThatOneApple

A Bit Fruity
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributor
Arboliva Offense for UUTS :arboliva: :hawlucha: :greninja: :ceruledge: :garchomp: :empoleon:
https://pokepast.es/236cb17a52686bae

:arboliva:
This doesnt really do much other than set gterrain and pivot into things. Memento is for taking yourself out in case the opposing mon fails to when eject button is already used up. Encore deters opposing setup, leech seed is some additonal support, and hyper voice is just kinda there bc i wanted an attack, realistically it could be anything bc odds are youre never clicking it.

:hawlucha:
The standard terrain abuser, unfortunately it can no longer fit taunt into its set due to zapdos but edge is still fine as a move for things like torn. Needs a bit more support to get going though bc it can no longer bust through walls as easily due to not being able to fit taunt.

:greninja:
The cleaner, takes advantage of holes punched in by lucha and ledge to scoop up a kill and get the clean going. Grass knot could be used if keldeo is being annoying but overall its the standard set that can kinda use gterrain to heal off some lorb damage

:Ceruledge:
Bu taunt ledge, meant to be a breaker of sorts with taunt and bitter blade to beat things down over time. Needed to be boots due to lack of removal but gterrain can somewhat make up for lack of lefties. Poltergeist can realistically be used over sneak for better breaking power but i liked the prio for latios (though if that gets banned at some point absolutely change this to polter).

:garchomp:
Tankchomp to vomit up hazards and block volts, phase stuff out to stop setup, gets good chip on things for the sweepers to break though and do their thing.

:Empoleon:
Completely wrecks mandibuzz, who is kind of a pain for this team, so defog deterrent that shuts it down is great. Also knocks stuff to help get hazard chip and flip turns to the sweepers if need be.

Its not the most consistent team ever, but i had fun making and testing it, and i hope you do to. :blobthumbsup:

Last edited:
Here is a rendition of a Keldeo team I touched up for memedose46.
Click here!

The concept of the team is simple, use sand and hazards to chip answers for keldeo so that it can freely spam surf throughout the midgame-lategame. It also runs Av Ttar and Scarf Jirachi to help act as switch-ins for Specs/Soul Dew Latios. Its anti-wincon mon techs are found in the Ttar with dragon tail for Moltres-Galar, Latios, and Tornadus-therian or just the encore Ogerpon from a hard pivot into tera. The Tornadus-Therian is the premier wincon for the team, if you can land, as its speed and offensive pressure from one plot is usually devastating to most teams ravaged by the surf button horse.

As a bonus
Click Here!!!
Here is the original paste of the team. It's essentially the same idea except far more offensive and, due to the additional choice mon in Ttar, far more prediction-reliant to win. It's shown to be decently well off in tour play so I'm sure it has some good merit nonetheless.

Hope you enjoy it!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)