Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

What are good teammates for a core of Substitute+Nasty Plot Hydreigon and Choice Band Aegislash?
Both are forced out by Specs Dragapult, so I recommend Sylveon to check it. You don't have a stealth rocker, a Rotom variant check, or a Dracovish switch in, so why not slap on a Seismitoad. Ferrothorn could also work here but you'd have to find something that beats Rotom-Heat and put it on the team. Both will lose to Sub NP Rotom-Mow. Corviknight gives you a Defogger and an Excadrill answer with Defog + Roost and the last moveslots can be any combo of Brave Bird, Iron Head, U-Turn, Body Press, etc. I'd go with some sort of speed control next. Some options include Conkeldurr with Mach Punch or other priority users, slapping Thunder Wave on some random mon, or a scarf user.

This gives you: :Hydreigon: + :Aegislash: + :Sylveon: + [:Seismitoad: or :Ferrothorn:) + :Corviknight: + Speed Control

I usually go with some sort of the following build for bulky offense (which I assume is the build you were looking for here): Breaker 1, Breaker 2, Bulky Core, Hazard Control (if not in Defensive Core), Speed Control. If there's an extra spot due to role compression then just slap on something busted and call it a day. The Bulky Core tries to blanket check a lot of the meta but still has some sort of decent damage output. If it were completely passive it would have stuff like G-Corsola instead. Toxapex still works here though because it's busted.

Disclaimer: None of these suggestions or formulas are hard rules, and I am a solidly mid-ladder, halfway-decent player. Don't try to constrain yourself when making teams and ask better players for advice too. Cores like this are going to be common in SPL so if you peep the replay thread you'll get some good ideas based on what they have.

Edit: I built a team for it. If you need explanations on the sets just ask.
Aegislash @ Choice Band
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Protect
- Mystical Fire

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Body Press (Iron Head if Conk)
- Brave Bird

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick / Darkest Lariat
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
- U-turn

OR

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch

Last edited:
Both are forced out by Specs Dragapult, so I recommend Sylveon to check it. You don't have a stealth rocker, a Rotom variant check, or a Dracovish switch in, so why not slap on a Seismitoad. Ferrothorn could also work here but you'd have to find something that beats Rotom-Heat and put it on the team. Both will lose to Sub NP Rotom-Mow. Corviknight gives you a Defogger and an Excadrill answer with Defog + Roost and the last moveslots can be any combo of Brave Bird, Iron Head, U-Turn, Body Press, etc. I'd go with some sort of speed control next. Some options include Conkeldurr with Mach Punch or other priority users, slapping Thunder Wave on some random mon, or a scarf user.

This gives you: :Hydreigon: + :Aegislash: + :Sylveon: + [:Seismitoad: or :Ferrothorn:) + :Corviknight: + Speed Control

I usually go with some sort of the following build for bulky offense (which I assume is the build you were looking for here): Breaker 1, Breaker 2, Bulky Core, Hazard Control (if not in Defensive Core), Speed Control. If there's an extra spot due to role compression then just slap on something busted and call it a day. The Bulky Core tries to blanket check a lot of the meta but still has some sort of decent damage output. If it were completely passive it would have stuff like G-Corsola instead. Toxapex still works here though because it's busted.

Disclaimer: None of these suggestions or formulas are hard rules, and I am a solidly mid-ladder player. Don't try to constrain yourself when making teams and ask better players for advice too. Cores like this are going to be common in SPL so if you peep the replay thread you'll get some good ideas based on what they have.

Edit: I built a team for it. If you need explanations on the sets just ask.
Aegislash @ Choice Band
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Shadow Claw
- Shadow Sneak
- Iron Head
- Close Combat

Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Substitute
- Dark Pulse
- Flash Cannon

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Cute Charm
EVs: 248 HP / 244 Def / 16 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Wish
- Play Rough
- Mystical Fire

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Scald
- Earth Power

Corviknight @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 88 Def / 172 SpD
Careful Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- Body Press (Iron Head if Conk)
- Brave Bird

Mew @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Trick / Darkest Lariat
- Psychic Fangs
- Close Combat
- U-turn

OR

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Ability: Guts
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Drain Punch
- Mach Punch
- Earthquake
- Thunder Punch
just asking, but why play rough?

just asking, but why play rough?
The Zestiest is correct. I typed in “PR” and clicked Play Rough instead of Protect. Thanks for the catch. Play Rough Sylveon would be a good meme though.

While I’m at it, Moonblast (and Cute Charm by extension) is so Soundproof Kommo-O isn’t a problem. If mons behind a sub, like Dragapult and Hydreigon, are too concerning then going to the more standard Pixilate Hyper Voice is fine.

Hey there so noticed that slowpoke was in OU was wondering what setup is best to use with him I have no clue what to put my ev or what nature to run :psyduck:

Hey there so noticed that slowpoke was in OU was wondering what setup is best to use with him I have no clue what to put my ev or what nature to run :psyduck:
Slowpoke is still unreleased and even if it was in the game it would be unviable in ou. You would be better off using its evolutions instead.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
Slowpoke is still unreleased and even if it was in the game it would be unviable in ou. You would be better off using its evolutions instead.
Slowpoke is in the game but its evolutions are unreleased. New Pokemon that don't evolve always start off in OU, but Slowpoke is definitely not viable there (or in any other tier for now really).

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
How about for sword and shield gameplay what would you recommend running on it ? For now
This isn't really the place to ask this but for now you could try a Belly Drum + Gluttony + Figy Berry set or perhaps Belly Drum + Slack Off + Own Tempo + Eviolite. Don't expect good results from an unevolved Slowpoke though.

What's a good way to choose leads during team previews? In the past few months, I just assumed the opponent will use a stealth rock lead and lead with whichever one of my Pokemon best checks the opponent's stealth rock user(s).

It depends. If the opponent is running some kind of HO you can predict the lead for sticky webs or screens, for example. Other times throwing out a mon that has a good matchup vs several opposing mons is likely to force a switch to a key target that you need to eliminate sooner rather than later.

as an example, if you run a Rotom form you probably want to get rid of Seismitoad as early as possible so you can volt switch later in the game. Opening rotom to lure toad out so you can bring something in that either smacks it or forces it out helps generate momentum early in the game and sets you up for an easier mid/late game.

Yung Dramps

awesome gaming
I know there's a pinned post saying not to discuss the DLCs, but I'm not bringing those up for any bogus speculation/post-Expansion Pass meta advice.

Rather, I wanna ask: Is there any chance of a "SWSH 400" meta being created to preserve what we have right now, whether it be as a SWSH OU spin-off or an OM? Personally I have very little incentive right now to play the main tiers or contribute to anything knowing that it's all gonna rendered worthless in a few months anyway, and I know I'm not alone in this sentiment. If there's a better forum to ask this in please let me know.

I know there's a pinned post saying not to discuss the DLCs, but I'm not bringing those up for any bogus speculation/post-Expansion Pass meta advice.

Rather, I wanna ask: Is there any chance of a "SWSH 400" meta being created to preserve what we have right now, whether it be as a SWSH OU spin-off or an OM? Personally I have very little incentive right now to play the main tiers or contribute to anything knowing that it's all gonna rendered worthless in a few months anyway, and I know I'm not alone in this sentiment. If there's a better forum to ask this in please let me know.
That's not really something we're concerned with right now and I don't think we ever will be. I think you could get a better answer from The Immortal, who leads Other Metagames, as that is what such a metagame would very, very likely be; an Other Metagame.

After seeing a ton of Hyper Offense on ladder and hype for it on here, I'm interested in giving the style a shot- but have no idea where to start. Does anybody have a HO team they'd be willing to share? I checked the sample teams thread, but it hasn't been updated since early december, and I'd prefer something made for the current meta.

After seeing a ton of Hyper Offense on ladder and hype for it on here, I'm interested in giving the style a shot- but have no idea where to start. Does anybody have a HO team they'd be willing to share? I checked the sample teams thread, but it hasn't been updated since early december, and I'd prefer something made for the current meta.
Some good choices for HO is webs or screens.
Web's generally have ribombee/araqunuid w/ bish
screens is grimmsnarl

what types of teams are good to break through 1200s to 1300s? I am having trouble useing a toxtricity team.
Rain isn't very good this gen but it's great on the lower ladder where players let you chip their water resists without a really planning how they'll win the game. Other teams that use cores to break each other's checks are also good as well as Volt Turn teams. Bulky Offense with Dugtrio too because it's easy to condition them into letting you trap.

Rain isn't very good this gen but it's great on the lower ladder where players let you chip their water resists without a really planning how they'll win the game. Other teams that use cores to break each other's checks are also good as well as Volt Turn teams. Bulky Offense with Dugtrio too because it's easy to condition them into letting you trap.
Thanks! I actually went up to 1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didn’t need your help, but I’m still happy you helped ;-;(tears of happiness)
Wait.
went up to 1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didn’t need your
1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didnt
With a mimikyu team, so I
A mimikyu team, so
MIMIKYU TEAM!?

Thanks! I actually went up to 1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didn’t need your help, but I’m still happy you helped ;-;(tears of happiness)
Wait.
went up to 1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didn’t need your
1400s with a mimikyu team, so I didnt
With a mimikyu team, so I
A mimikyu team, so
MIMIKYU TEAM!?
I'm not really sure what you're trying to convey with this but I'd like to request that you speak in coherent sentences.

I am new and bad.
Does someone have a checklist of things to look for to build a solid meta team?
For example:
1)x check
2)y check
3) stealth rocker
etc
ty

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I am new and bad.
Does someone have a checklist of things to look for to build a solid meta team?
For example:
1)x check
2)y check
3) stealth rocker
etc
ty
Not really. You can check the Viability Rankings for a generalized idea of what Pokemon are generally considered the best in the metagame, and, generally, most used. You can also check the usage stats to see which Pokemon get used the most, and even which moves/cores are most common for each Pokemon. Honestly, though, the best way is to just build a team and start battling. The more you play in a tier the more you'll start to get familiar with what Pokemon are threats that need to be accounted for and what Pokemon are best suited for each role.

I'm having trouble breaking through the 1300s to 1400s. I'm using an screens team, webs team and an balance team, but It seems 1500s are a dream (my friend even told me last gen he went to 1500s using scarfers)
Can someone help? thank you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 6)