Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers Thread

Why are certain topics banned in metagame discussions? for example Deoxys-Defense is a banned discussion topic in nat dex (or was; i haven't checked)

Edit: it's more of an overall smogon question, but i imagine it could be answered here. thank you for any replies
While individual cases may differ, usually it's because the banned topic has been brought up multiple times, been discussed to death, and often leads to poor quality discussion and insults

Why are certain topics banned in metagame discussions? for example Deoxys-Defense is a banned discussion topic in nat dex (or was; i haven't checked)

Edit: it's more of an overall smogon question, but i imagine it could be answered here. thank you for any replies
For Deoxys D it was banned from discussion because while it's certainly viable in NatDex OU it is outclassed by Mew which has a better speed tier and still has about the same bulk.

Katy

Banned deucer.
What are checks/counters to Chlorophyll Growth Venusaur? This one easily sweeps all my team so I need some checks/counters for it
Blissey and Chansey they can check Venusaur, other mention would be Mantine, since it can Haze and has a great special bulk to begin with. Mantine can also Roost off the damage it took and since it is slower than Venusaur, it doesnt loose the flying type while roosting.
A slighty less common check would be Snorlax and there is also Kommo-o with Bulletproof, where Sludge Bomb and Weather Ball wont effect it.
Hippowdon and Pelipper can disrupt the weather and therefore removing the speed given due to Chlorophyll, but they have to be wary about switching into a Venusaur, same mention goes for Ninetales Alola as its Snow Warning also disrupts the Sun, but it has to be careful as well.

But the premiere answers are most likely Blissey / Chansey and Mantine.

Blissey and Chansey they can check Venusaur, other mention would be Mantine, since it can Haze and has a great special bulk to begin with. Mantine can also Roost off the damage it took and since it is slower than Venusaur, it doesnt loose the flying type while roosting.
A slighty less common check would be Snorlax and there is also Kommo-o with Bulletproof, where Sludge Bomb and Weather Ball wont effect it.
Hippowdon and Pelipper can disrupt the weather and therefore removing the speed given due to Chlorophyll, but they have to be wary about switching into a Venusaur, same mention goes for Ninetales Alola as its Snow Warning also disrupts the Sun, but it has to be careful as well.

But the premiere answers are most likely Blissey / Chansey and Mantine.
Dragapult is also a pretty solid check to it, although be careful of switching, you can get a Thunder Wave off to wear it down then use Dragon Darts which will likely deal alot of damage. Speaking from experience, Chansey and Blissey are shaky checks because Venusaur just spams Giga Drain and your only hope is to use T-wave/Teleport. On the other hand, you can stall out sun turns using the two and potentially switch into a Steel-type like Corviknight and try to get a fast attacker in. Katy's response was also good, hope this helped

It is not appropriate to compare the two metas with each other. Nat Dex is an entirely different metagame that is shaped completely different than OU, as NatDex offers Z moves, Megas, every other Pokemon that isn't available in OU, and the removed moves. Why it is not banned here is that common defensive Pokemon such as Mandibuzz and Toxapex does a good job at handling Urshifu, while it is also possible to revenge kill it with faster Pokemon such as Unburden Hawlucha, Rillaboom, Alakazam, etc. Overall its not a ridiculously powerful Pokemon.
Think its pretty self evident that NatDex is different, yes. Was more wondering if the inclusion of z moves was what put it over the top since whatever checks there are in OU are also in NatDex

Safeguard Volcarona is a legitimately good set that is worth considering seriously, but the point about it being limited to four moves is fair. What's cool about Volcarona is it can pick what checks and counters it for the most part. But there are still a handful of things that handle each variant, which is good for opposing teams.
Dunking on the pink blobs seems like something Volcarona would have always wanted to do, so why has Safeguard never been used until now (to my knowledge)? My guess is that because past metas had more things like Heatran and Lati@s that demanded coverage, the opportunity cost of running Safeguard was too high, but now Dexit (and Hidden Power being cut) have changed that.

Finchinator

-OUTL
is a Tournament Directoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Championis the defending OU Circuit Championis a Two-Time Former Old Generation Tournament Circuit Champion
OU Leader
Dunking on the pink blobs seems like something Volcarona would have always wanted to do, so why has Safeguard never been used until now (to my knowledge)? My guess is that because past metas had more things like Heatran and Lati@s that demanded coverage, the opportunity cost of running Safeguard was too high, but now Dexit (and Hidden Power being cut) have changed that.
It was never this linear honestly. Volc had more counterplay and no boots, so it was far easier to suffocate. This generation, it's a lot easier to exploit.

AnimaticLunatic

I COULD BE BANNED!
Heatrun in not in the game as of right now. And Heavy duty boots makes it easier to do it since you do not need to roost imidietly as soon as you enter on the field if stealth rock is up so that is one less turn being wasted.

What are checks/counters to Chlorophyll Growth Venusaur? This one easily sweeps all my team so I need some checks/counters for it
My favorite is choice specs Gardevoir. It can't switch in directly, but it can trace Venusaur's cholorphyll and outspeed it as most are running +SpA nature. You can then threaten to OHKO it with psychic or mystical fire to threaten steel types that may switch in for it. I've been running this thing for awhile and it straight up sweeps most sun teams. Gardevoir really hits hard with specs and the speed boosting allowing it to outspeed and OHKO Charizard as well with psychic. It also doubles as a check to rain teams as it can outspeed and ohko Poliwrath and +SpA nature Kingdra.

Is the council planning (or thinking) on re-testing some of the Pokemons that went to Ubers since the start of this Metagame like, Dracovish or Melmetal when the 2nd DLC comes?

With the second DLC is bringing the missing pseudo-legendaries, Heatran, the genies, the Tapu, and UBs I'd be surprised if some stuff isn't restested. Things are going to be vastly different once those all come back to OU.

Katy

Banned deucer.
Is there any viability to use specs on the Slow twins?
while i think these sets could be fun i think they are better off as a pivot in this current metagame. slowbro especially is very good at giving opportunities for its teammates and with scald it always has a chance to cripple opposing pkmn and with slack off + regenerator it is able to maintain its longevity really well. teleport adds a really good moveslot to its set as pivoting is really mandatory in this metagame with so many defensive and offensive threats. it also can bring pkmn like volcarona, dragapult and hydreigon in as you dont want them to be damaged upon a switch. teleport is just better in the long run with so many different threats in the current metagame. i think specs-sets could be fun, but imho they're outclassed entirely by the defensive sets.

Last edited:

Katy

Banned deucer.
Does anyone have the set for mixed kyurem not to sure what evs to run
unfort kyurem is not exceptional in the current metagame by any means. this is mainly due to the presence of blissey which walls its special set and toxapex which walls it's physical set. however, a mixed set looks intriguing and lets analyze how a mixed set could perform in the current metagame.

calcs:
200 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Toxapex: 164-194 (53.9 - 63.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
200 SpA Kyurem Freeze-Dry vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Toxapex: 126-150 (41.4 - 49.3%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
56+ Atk Kyurem Icicle Spear (3 hits) vs. 200 HP / 252+ Def Blissey: 216-255 (30.8 - 36.3%) -- approx. 57.6% chance to 3HKO

after analyzing a bit and playing with the ev spreads I can conclude that if your aiming to go for a mixed set, this would be my recommendation.

set:
:kyurem:
Kyurem @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry / Earth Power
- Substitute

- Roost

this may not be the best set, but it is definitely worth a shot. experimenting with sets and mons always yields fun results.

Last edited:
Kyurem @ Leftovers
EVs: 56 Atk / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Naughty Nature
- Icicle Spear
- Freeze-Dry / Earth Power
- Substitute

- Roost
You really need 56 HP EVs in order to PP stall Blissey; Icicle Spear isn't quite strong enough to reliably beat it. For what it's worth, there's also really no need for Earth Power without Magearna and Cinderace in the metagame, I'd recommend this set:

Kyurem @ Metronome
EVs: 56 HP / 200 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Freeze-Dry
- Icicle Spear
- Substitute
- Roost

What team of 6 would be the best possible stall killer squad? I emphasize again, I don’t care about any other matchup or ladder viability, I just want a team comprised of mons that all do best against stall for matchup fishing/boredom.

What team of 6 would be the best possible stall killer squad? I emphasize again, I don’t care about any other matchup or ladder viability, I just want a team comprised of mons that all do best against stall for matchup fishing/boredom.
Some mons that come to mind are Rillaboom + Magnezone, Togekiss, Crawdaunt, Alolan Marowak, Hatterene, Alakazam, Toxtricity, and Galarian Slowbro. Anything that learns Trick is a good option; if something in stall (aside from Ditto) is tricked a Choice Scarf or something similar, it quickly becomes dead weight.

Some mons that come to mind are Rillaboom + Magnezone, Togekiss, Crawdaunt, Alolan Marowak, Hatterene, Alakazam, Toxtricity, and Galarian Slowbro. Anything that learns Trick is a good option; if something in stall (aside from Ditto) is tricked a Choice Scarf or something similar, it quickly becomes dead weight.
Why Galarian Slowbro? It seems pretty weak, just good coverage?

Why is Slowbro considered a great pokemon in the meta while Slowking is considered weak? The only relevant difference between the two pokemon is that their spdef and physdef are flipped. Is it just because of Knock Off + U-turn being so much more punishing for Slowking?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)