Resource Simple Questions, Simple Answers UU Edition

Hi, i have a question
View attachment 301593
Why Sylveon has that weird EV Spread?, theres a good reason?
If I'm right, it allows Sylveon to not be 2HKO by Choice Specs Keldeo and Kyurem as you can see below :

252 SpA Choice Specs Keldeo Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Sylveon: 177-208 (44.9 - 52.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Kyurem Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 128+ SpD Sylveon: 160-189 (40.6 - 47.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery

I would like to get more into helping advance the metagame of UU, and the Research Week thread looks really interesting! However, I'm having some issues navigating it. What exactly should I be testing out and taking a look at if I wanted to write something up this week?

I would like to get more into helping advance the metagame of UU, and the Research Week thread looks really interesting! However, I'm having some issues navigating it. What exactly should I be testing out and taking a look at if I wanted to write something up this week?
Every week they usually make a post like so and those are the Pokemon you will try test within a week period. Unless they specify a certain move or item is required you are free to experiment as much as you want with the Pokemon. You then try to ladder as high as you can to win the week. You also need to type up a small report about your thoughts on the Pokemon. You can find more information in the first post of that thread. It seems the project hasn't been updated since Regieleki and Conkeldurr so perhaps take a crack at that while you can or wait for the next week to go up, which I imagine will be soon.

BigFatMantis

is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributor
UUPL Champion
Hello Minh.

As Twilight said, for the current week, you can check the link in my signature, which focuses on Regieleki and Conkeldurr. While the week has "technically" just finished, we will be posting a new week with new test subjects within the next few days (probably after drops happen on 1/1/2021). So, if you feel you can get some testing in and post a report before Jan 1st, go for it! In the meantime, feel free to read the different analyses that have been posted so that you have a good understanding on what to focus on when testing in the upcoming week!

If you are looking for help in advancing generally in the UU metagame, there may be other areas to better assist you as well. The Viability Rankings are a great way to see what is generally good in UU. Also, after January 1st, the Sample Teams Thread should get updated. Good luck to you!

Is there a reason to use +speed zerarora, because +attack/special outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame.

Is there a reason to use +speed zerarora, because +attack/special outspeeds the entire unboosted metagame.
The main things would be losing the Speed tie on Jolly Zeraora, Talonflame, and being slower than a couple boosted Pokemon like Adamant Gyarados at +1. I've been using Adamant/Modest on most of my Zeraora because these aren't that impactful/important imo

Latias has checks, but not counters, trick cripples chansey, surf/draco nuke krook, no pursuit means specs is free rain, Life orb means it can use its coverage to KO, Grassy seed means it can CM out of control given the oppurtunity. Latias also defensively and offensively a large chunk of the meta to the point u see megahorn bulu to otherwise not be walled which speaks to how latias is taken defensively. Latias having 110 speed makes it fast, faster than terrak, speed tying with lycan dusk, and outspeeding ada gyara at +2 with a scarf. Life orb has not switches besides chansey. but chansey is easily taken advntage off, and without eviolite, it falls easily. Like You can name soft checks celesteela, jirachi, scarf krook. But then u also have to remember that either they lack recovery, can be taken advantage off, or are generally not a defensive awnser and have to be brought in via doubles and pivot moves.

The awnser is, I would like a lati test, as in the viability rankings "you can easily replace a mon with latias and it will have success or do better"

What is Moltres-Galar's role in the current UU metagame? Is it good at what it does? What partners should I pair it with, and what sort of teams would it best fit into?

What is Moltres-Galar's role in the current UU metagame? Is it good at what it does? What partners should I pair it with, and what sort of teams would it best fit into?
Moltres-Galar is almost only played as a setup Sweeper (Dual Dancer) with both Nasty Plot & Agility. Most of the time, you can find it in Screens HO based on either Grimmsnarl or Ninetales-Alola. It's pretty good in its role as there isn't a lot of Pokemon which can handle Dark + Flying STAB (Fiery Wrath + either Hurricane or Air Slash). Some players opt for more balanced set with either Sub or NP + Rest-Talk but you'll find most of the time its Dual Dance set !

Heres a importable :
Code:
Moltres-Galar @ Weakness Policy / Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Berserk
EVs: 68 HP / 252 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Nasty Plot
- Agility
- Fiery Wrath
- Air Slash / Hurricane
EVs spread allows it to outspeed things like Jolly Bisharp without a boost and Choice Scarf Latias and everything bellow after a single Agility.

BigFatMantis

UUPL Champion
How come OU requires a 60% pro-ban majority vote to ban something on a suspect test, but UU only requires a 50% pro-ban majority vote?

Has someone tried running incinerate on thund. It Kos offensive scizors, also cover the grasses, is like a pseudo hidden fire.

Lily

is this what you wanted?
is a Tutoris a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staffis a Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Senior Staff Member Alumnus
UU Leader
How come OU requires a 60% pro-ban majority vote to ban something on a suspect test, but UU only requires a 50% pro-ban majority vote?
As far as I'm aware this is just a decision made by each tier's leaders and UU has always operated under the 51% majority rule. There might be another reason like a generally lower playerbase resulting in fewer voters (and therefore a simple majority making more sense). Hogg would probably be more qualified to answer this than I am though.

Edit: This thread has more info, but basically the TLDR is that lower tiers are inherently more liable to fluctuation because they get drops and OU doesn't, so the 51% majority is in there to make sure it's reasonable for them to make changes.

Liliburr is a tyrant and demands more power than the OU mods do.
So true

Has someone tried running incinerate on thund. It Kos offensive scizors, also cover the grasses, is like a pseudo hidden fire.
I guess I can see the merit but I'm not really sure why I'd ever use this on Nasty Plot sets since +2 Psychic/Sludge Wave sends both Grasses flying and Thunderbolt nukes Scizor, and on pivot sets I guess it's nice to ohko Scizor bu it doesn't really do enough to the Grasses to really be worth considering. Maybe it's cool on super specific teams but in general it seems kind of outclassed.

Last edited:
You are right, Ko scizors is COOL, but for some reason worked even better than I thought
As far as I'm aware this is just a decision made by each tier's leaders and UU has always operated under the 51% majority rule. There might be another reason like a generally lower playerbase resulting in fewer voters (and therefore a simple majority making more sense). Hogg would probably be more qualified to answer this than I am though.

Edit: This thread has more info, but basically the TLDR is that lower tiers are inherently more liable to fluctuation because they get drops and OU doesn't, so the 51% majority is in there to make sure it's reasonable for them to make changes.

So true

I guess I can see the merit but I'm not really sure why I'd ever use this on Nasty Plot sets since +2 Psychic/Sludge Wave sends both Grasses flying and Thunderbolt nukes Scizor, and on pivot sets I guess it's nice to ohko Scizor bu it doesn't really do enough to the Grasses to really be worth considering. Maybe it's cool on super specific teams but in general it seems kind of outclassed.

BigFatMantis

UUPL Champion
Good ways to deal with dual dance Moltres-G? I've always had issues dealing with it for some reason
Diancie totally shuts it down if you want to go niche. Bisharp also does alright if you get it in fast. Same with Primarina.

Other than that, just switch in something threatening that can OHKO it right away, and have back-up priority in case you don't quite get the kill.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)