Other Simplified Team Rating System Idea

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Notice: I am not sure where this goes, but in my personal opinion, it seems best here.

Okay, so for rooms like Competitive tutoring, they have a 'Rate My Team' system, which allows people to represent their teams to more skilled players of that specific tier. There is also a thread here that is named the same thing, so I thought that this would help out too.

So instead of having to make a ton of pastebins and threads on here just to get your team rated, which can also cause a lot of hassle and confusion when somebody wants their team rated, I thought, why not have a system to show the teams off? So the general idea of this was that there would be something like the Teambuilder and Sprite Generator, but instead showing the teams instead of building them. For example,

That would look somewhat the same, except the Stats would show at what they were with the IV's, EV's, and overall stats. This would not be editable, by that I mean, you basically couldn't edit anything except the gender, level, shiny yes/no, and nickname. The only people who would be able to edit it would be:
A) The player who made the team.
B) Anyone who has been granted permission by the person who made the team.
C) Anybody with an authorized ranking to edit the Pokemon/Team to what they fit was viable.

In my honest opinion, this would look something like (You can comment to what ever would fit your liking):

[Type of Team] - [Tier] - [Main Pokemon]

[Pokemon 1]
[Pokemon 2]
[Pokemon 3]
[Pokemon 4]
[Pokemon 5]
[Pokemon 6]

[Team Creator] - [People with Access to the Thread]

I would gladly code/program this, but I would also appreciate some help (ex. a team). I would love feedback from this. If this is the wrong thread, I am gratefully sorry, and I promise to read better next time.

i think this could cause in issue in big tournaments like SPL or WCoP because then all they would have to do is search out a team and find out its exact moves, evs, and items. of course, i may just be missing something, but i think thats an issue.

dhelmise

banend doosre
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Programmeris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Top Dedicated Tournament Hostis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Social Media Head
Smog Frog I probably didn't make it clear that only the people who had permission to edit would have permission to see, along with other people who can see it, which would be selected by the team creator.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
Considering you've been in the Competitive Tutoring room you probably have a general idea of who I am. I'll just answer and ask some basic questions and concerns.

In regards to the specified letters:

A) Nothing to say here. Player edits their own teams everybody knows this.
B) This is ok but I don't see how this is any different than something like Piratepad where those who are provided the link can freely come in and edit/build with each other. Maybe I'm missing the point of this.
C) This one I have an issue with. What is considered viable is established by the staff based on current metagame trends and experience. This information and advice are recommendations based on our own perception of what the team would look like in a more viable format, concepts that apply objective and subjective reasoning. I would rather not edit peoples teams because I would like them to ask questions on why such suggestions were suggested and in turn decide for themselves if it is worth considering, then edit themselves enhancing the learning process. Also I feel as though this is just another way to come to the same result where both require an equal amount of work if not more in your case considering what work would need to be done to make this all possible.

Basic questions:

1. Why should this be considered over pastebin, hastebin, or another team sharing tool where the formers have been proven effective for awhile?
2. Would their be any benefits in the long run for such program to be made?
3. On the idea that this ever came to fruition, what problems have you considered and taken into account for in terms of sharing access?
4. Outside of your basic outline would there anything else be included?

Take into consideration that I'm only speaking on behalf of the Competitive Tutoring room. RMT staff and mods will more than likely will have their own concerns that they would probably need addressed as RMT formatting and presentation is a factor in a teams potential to be featured in the Team Showcase subforum.

I'm no genius on tech and unfamiliar with those who would consider to tackle on this endeavor. In theory I think this is a great idea however any potential issues should be addressed and in a practical sense I would have to see a demo of sorts. If this is indeed not the right place to ask and discuss, if and when that time comes as I know there are other things being worked on, I'll be more than happy to hear you out and repost this wherever it is necessary.

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
AM, I see what you mean. I get that there are things that could benefit and could be lost if this was to be made. I like all of your questions and regards to this. I have taken all of what you have said and thought about it seriously, and I was wondering if there was more specific things that you mean, as in, how could this be more efficient than paste/hastebin, I would like to know. Yes, you did state this earlier, but I would like to know more in-depth meanings of everything. If you would like, you could also help with the ideas of this. Or of course, you can not.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
AM, I see what you mean. I get that there are things that could benefit and could be lost if this was to be made. I like all of your questions and regards to this. I have taken all of what you have said and thought about it seriously, and I was wondering if there was more specific things that you mean, as in, how could this be more efficient than paste/hastebin, I would like to know. Yes, you did state this earlier, but I would like to know more in-depth meanings of everything. If you would like, you could also help with the ideas of this. Or of course, you can not.
It's more or else the ease and accessibility of said function of your design. Sure pastebin is a bit repetitious but it's basic and takes no more than 20-30 seconds for the explanation and link to ones team. Also let's say they provide a link to whatever the team is based of your tool. How would this be any different than through a pastebin link? I also forgot to mention but our room is not the only room using pastebin as a tool for team sharing. Just about every tier based room uses this tool to show teams to others so this is actually something on a much larger scale than just one room. I have a general vision of what it would be like but how it correlates to the real design of tool is a different story altogether that I myself would not understand due to ignorance of tech and coding.

dhelmise

banend doosre
Social Media Head
AM, Yeah, I know that you aren't the only room that uses pastebin, I was just using it as an example. I was just interpreting what this could look like/become because I just felt like it would be easier to actually see the sets and what they look like, instead of having to read through the raw data that consists of the team. this would most likely lead to a lot less hassle and stress/confusion. which makes everyone happy. (:

AM

LCPL Champion
I'll be heading off soon for sleep but here's some things/ideas to consider if and when you attempt this. Going off of your template so just use your imagination and picture yourself on PS with the teambuilder in front of you

Team List

[Display]
< This can be named whatever but this is simply a placeholder to specify that you would like to show people the team. This in theory can be room or PM dependant. So if you're in the ubers room and you click this option it will display the team as a whole as the display option here correlates to the entire team. Some sort of link similar to how when one shows a replay in the chat and a window pops up with the battle can be used.
[Tier] - [Pokemon] [Main Pokemon] < [Main Pokemon] isn't necessary and the creator can specify this simply through chat. Switched the placement of tier and type of team where the tier will correlate to whatever format was chosen to build and pokemon is the team members from teambuilder. All so that it correlates the current format that is used in teambuilder.

Example:
[OU]
[Display] (Scizor, Clefable, Slowbro, Charizard, Garchomp, Latios)​

Team

[Display]
< Applies to individual mon so individuals can ask for critiques on sets individually rather than team.
[Pokemon 1]
[Information]
< Information which includes an import/export text that can only be edited by creator or collaborators, but copy/pasted by anyone
x6 < Rest of teammates with same information and tools.

Example:
[Display][Copy/Paste][Move][Delete]
Lucario
(Information: Which includes import/export)​

Tools Below Team

[Team Creator] - [People with Access to the Team]
[Team Creator] should default to the username on the hard drive that is editing and using the team. This last part is important and correlates to the first part. [People With Access to the Team] needs to have 3 options that defaults to private.

[People With Access to the Team]
Private
- Only person on harddrive can see team
Public - Anyone can view and critique, not edit
Custom - This one is a bit tricky I think as I don't know how you would be able to make this happen from a tech standpoint. Basically a display option would be available to collaborators to build upon or help edit with each other while being able to show to public as well as an optional tool. This would need some more clarification for myself if this is even feasible but the first two options would be set in stone.

Editing should only be allowed for Private and Custom option, not public.

This is my preferred idea in terms of a template from my experience in rating teams and what I feel would be necessary for something concise and simplistic at the very least from a practical and visual standpoint.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)