sleep - no longer needed

More work will probably be pretty lame, but not having to sleep would be amazing.

One thing that you need major rest for is muscle recovery though, which to me only seems to really happen during sleep?

chaos

is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis an Administratoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Owner
yeah i was kidding in the topic title and such, this isn't a replacement for sleep. however, it'd be very helpful for those nights i procrastinate on term papers...

Blue Kirby

Never back down.
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
That's quite the discovery there.

I can see it being useful in some instances, but I just don't see alleviating chemical symptoms of sleep deprivation doing the same for physical symptoms. It could be dangerous if overused by workaholics though.

Surgo

goes to eleven
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
BlueKirby said:
I don't think it'll be a stable alternative to sleep in the long run though.
Oh, it definitely won't. Sleep isn't just for muscle relaxation -- it's for nerve relaxation too.

havoc

pottlepalooza
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
my intuition is telling me that it might work short term, but could really be disasterous in the long run.

from what I remember in one of my psychology courses, we don't really know exactly what goes on during sleep, so just inhaling some chemical seems like it's covering up the issue instead of really making it (sleep) "unnecessary," so to speak.

interesting.. Id like to see how this progesses in the future. No sleep though would SUCK because its one of the few things that I enjoy most in life.

Sounds cool. I could use it in the morning right before school. Next they need to make a chemical that you inhale before sleep that ensures that you will remember your dreams. They say you always dream but you forget them most of the time. I have had only a few times when I can remember my dreams and they are fucking awesome.

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
I imagine that the military will be latching onto this chemical and seeing what use they can get out of it. Sleep is already kept to a minimum in the Forces as it is so this could be a godsend, although I'm sure there would be uproar if soldiers were forced to go weeks without sleep, even with a wonder drug.

Sure is an interesting find.

man that's batshit dude

this could come in handy so often, you know, in little short term/one night stand situations

this will make a ridiculous amount of cash off college students

i also see the possibility of addiction being a problem! but anyways yeah anyone who thinks this could outright replace sleep is stupid, the psychological effect of not sleeping for a long period of time would probably destroy your mind

If only I had a use for it.
Here I am, it's 6:30a.m. and not for me waking up really early. Last night I got 3 hours of sleep, and by last night I mean yesterday morning after sunrise.

May be great for studying/working long hours on a project if they market it in the private sector, but being Darpa-funded makes it out to be some new stim-pack for soldiers.

Atlas

I'm the Mary!
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
i would love for this to replace sleep (you know, if this had all the benefits that sleeping actually gives you). id get so much more stuff done (actually since i do nothing it may seem like a big deal, but i take pride in my nothingness).

The monkeys were deprived of sleep for 30 to 36 hours and then given either orexin A or a saline placebo before taking standard cognitive tests.
im hoping cattle prods werent involved :(

X-Act

np: Biffy Clyro - Shock Shock
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
This is all wrong, since we need sleep. If we didn't, we would have evolved that way.

Probably because sleep is fairly necessary to process everything that happened during the day, sleep speeds the healing process, and the things already mentioned, and more besides.

I wonder what side effects this drug would have though. It might be handy for the odd night you want to stay awake, but I doubt if using it regularly would be healthy at all.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Yeah I'm curious as to what "side-effects" this drug may cause, but I ejnoy sleeping, so I won't be working with this most likely.

Aeolus

Bag
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
This would be a great replacement for my war chest of caffeine pills... think of the procrastination opportunities...

that's pretty cool. I understand that even if this is successful it won't replace sleep, and I'm glad. I like sleeping. dreams are cool.

Oh, it definitely won't. Sleep isn't just for muscle relaxation -- it's for nerve relaxation too.

Not to mention the brain will actually shut down in a "holy fuck you are now dead" kind of way with enough consecutive nonsleeping events.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)