Pokémon Slurpuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went up against my first Slurpuff a few days ago and the damn thing almost swept me. I don't have any Dragon types so I don't carry Poison/Steel for coverage and my team is mainly physical, so after it got Cotton Guard up I could barely touch it. I eventually stalled it out with Toxic but it should certainly not be underestimated and allowed to set up.

OMG,Slurpuff is one of the most cute Pokemon EVER.
BTW,should i use Slurpuff or Aromatisse(generally speaking)?
I KNOW RIGHT?!?
Ahem... I mean, yes it is quite cute.

Anyway, as to which you should use, it's kinda up to preference. Generally speaking, Aromatisse has a stat distribution that is more suitable for a bulky Calm Mind set and gets Moon Blast (Which for some reason Game Freak thought would be funny to leave off of Slurpuff's breeding list), but Slurpuff does get a few moves like Cotton Guard, which allow it to take hits pretty well and it's immune to sleep with it's standard ability. It's hidden ability is Unburden, which allows it to sweep like no one's business with some set up time and gives it a niche over Aromatisse. It's up to you really. I personally prefer Slurpuff though.

I have been using this set to great success:

Slurpuff (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Return
- Aromatherapy

No one sees it coming. It's really really easy to force a switch and set up a drum. Sitrus brings my hp to around 75pct, then it's game on. Play rough will OHKO or hit hard anything, except steels. Make sure steel types are dead or severly weakened before going Drum mode.

A great partner to him is Ferrothorn spreading paralyzis and weakening things with leech seed through the match.

Aromatherapy is a last "kiss" goodbye usually before he dies or if I badly need to heal other mons. Pretty neat

I really hope the move tutors give this one something nice (especially physical wise)
You and me both, pal... you and me both.

Ideally, it would get something like Fire Punch, which when paired with Belly Drum, could REALLY lay into some steel types. Zen Headbutt might also be nice for poison types, though I think Steel is a greater threat.

Mixed Slurpuff Sweeper
@Sitrus Berry
Unberdan
ATK 52 SPATK 200 SPEED 252 HP 4
Rash
Belly Drum
Play Rough
Psychic
Flamethrower

Belly Drum+Stab for obvious reasons, then Psychic and Flamethrower to counter its two weaknesses. What do you think? +Spatk to deal more.

Edit: Just realised Jolly Max speed outspeeds base 115 scarfers, and that is just insane, might just stick with a Physical set with Theif + Return

Last edited:
This set seems to have some potential. The only problem I foresee occurring, besides a OHKO-2HKO, is the fact that you lose your Unburden boost if you receive a new item. Every Pokemon you go up against is going to have an item and 9 times out of 10, it's going to be a permanent one that you can't get rid of afterward. This could really mess up Slurpuff's sweeping potential.

Btw, both Mawile and Klefki are Fairy/Steel.
Holy shit, I didn't know that you lose the Unburden boost. That blows. :I Flamethrower it is I guess.
This Pokemon is really a situational sweeper, even for the purposes of cleaning up late game. I'd rather use a Protean Greninja for late-game, lol. It's really just there if you want to use it.
I gave it a few shots, and the biggest problem I had was Slurpuff's HP slowly dwindling away to priority moves in the process of sweeping 2-3 Pokemon on an opposing team. When I gave it Thief and successfully stole a Sitrus Berry from a Harvesting Exeggutor and got double Unburden boost, that was funny, increased it's life a good bit. Sucker Punch resistance is really what keeps this thing alive against priority when sweeping. The best guarantee is to set up a Cotton Guard as every priority move hitting for neutral damage that I can think of is physical, but that leaves you with two attacking moves.

It's a fun set when you pull it off, but it's not something to try early in a match if you can help it, it's too easy to put Slurpuff in the revenge-kill range. Klefki is usually a lead, and despite Mega-Mawile being absolutely monstrous after a Sword's Dance with Sucker Punch, it's lack of speed makes it fairly simply to take out providing something can take an unboosted Sucker Punch before hitting it with a OHKO from a Ground or Fire move.

All in all, Slurpuff is a nice specialty/gimmick sweeper, I love using it when it works, but when it doesn't, it's dead weight, and that very easily happens. Even paralysis can be crippling if you get more than one turn of hax.

Sweeping Slurpuff:

@chesto berry
Unburden

Belly Drum
Rest
Play Rough
Yawn / flamethrower / psychic

Firstly you want to get to a situation where the opponent will probably need to switch or can't do much to you. Yawn is useful to make it so they have to switch or risk sleeping. Next you belly drum increasing your attack. Then rest restores all lost HP and cures any status the opponent may have inflicted, you wake up by chesto berry and get the unburden speed boost. Finally you kill things with stab play rough. Obviously if you are worried about steels or poisons too much rather than yawn you can carry flamethrower or psychic respectively but yawn really helps you set up- you'll want to try and take them out with good counters before attempting the sweep.
I'm not too sure on EV's though. Definitely 252 Speed. A combination of bulk and attack is also needed.

Slurpuff is extremely cute.........and surprisingly deadly. I didn't expect it to have Belly Drum when I searched Smog Dubs yesterday (got my first Gen VI battles in woo hoo). It didn't get to do much with Unburden since Trick Room was still in effect but i can imagine the carnage it would have caused.

It didn't use chesto rest though. Just typical Sitrus Berry to activate Unburden (though this proved to be in my favor due to TR).

Last edited:

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
The only problem with Slurpuff is that it's kinda walled by Fire types. Then again, Fire-types tend to have bad defenses, but if it wants to have a shot at UU, it needs to find a way around the likes of Victini and Chandelure.
I don't think it ever has a chance at OU, given that Talonflame and Heatran will be big this gen. UU is really the best it can hope for, but I have a feeling it'll be a solid RU fairy.

Sweeping Slurpuff:

@chesto berry
Unburden

Belly Drum
Rest
Play Rough
Yawn / flamethrower / psychic

Firstly you want to get to a situation where the opponent will probably need to switch or can't do much to you. Yawn is useful to make it so they have to switch or risk sleeping. Next you belly drum increasing your attack. Then rest restores all lost HP and cures any status the opponent may have inflicted, you wake up by chesto berry and get the unburden speed boost. Finally you kill things with stab play rough. Obviously if you are worried about steels or poisons too much rather than yawn you can carry flamethrower or psychic respectively but yawn really helps you set up- you'll want to try and take them out with good counters before attempting the sweep.
I'm not too sure on EV's though. Definitely 252 Speed. A combination of bulk and attack is also needed.
I must add that Slurpuff also learns surf which could be used to hit fire types if you need something to deal with them. The move needs to be picked to work around your team really.

The only problem with Slurpuff is that it's kinda walled by Fire types. Then again, Fire-types tend to have bad defenses, but if it wants to have a shot at UU, it needs to find a way around the likes of Victini and Chandelure.
I don't think it ever has a chance at OU, given that Talonflame and Heatran will be big this gen. UU is really the best it can hope for, but I have a feeling it'll be a solid RU fairy.
I don't get how it's walled by Fire type when most of these candies run Surf.
Also Belly Drum sucks whit this movepool, but if it had the elemental punches it would be a great choice.

Also Belly Drum sucks whit this movepool, but if it had the elemental punches it would be a great choice.
True. The only usable physical attack it gets besides Play rough is Return. This could be used to cover poison and fire types while feeding off the belly drum boost but it still then struggles to break most steel types.

Albacore

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Wow, I didn't know it even learnt Surf. That makes things very different.
If it gets such good coverage, would Choice Specs be viable?
I don't think there's anything which resists Fairy that Psychic, Surf or Flamethrower won't hit super effectively...

Last edited:
I personally would prefer to run the Chesto Rest set with calm mind over belly drum as I feel like Sitrus Berry is a better option for belly drum sets anyways.

ChestoRest Calm Mind

Slurpuff @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Unburden
EVs: 184HP / 252SpA / 72Spe
Modest Nature
Rest
Calm Mind
Dazzling Gleam
Flamethrower / HP Ghost / Surf

This set gives Slurpuff a reliable form of recovery, while having the ability to absorb status ailments. Rest will also be the trigger that activates unburden due to chesto berry being consumed. Unburden's boost in conjunction with 72 Spe EVs, allows it to outspeed the fastest unboosted pokemon in OU, jolteon. The rest of the EV's are spent on maximizing its offensive potential and the leftovers go into HP. Dazzling Gleam is necessary for STAB maximizing your damage output. Flamethrower is a great secondary option against common steel type threats that resist Dazzling Gleam, while HP Ghost offers perfect coverage hitting every Pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage except for Pyroar. Surf is also an option if you want better coverage then flamethrower, as it is not resisted by fire types, and more power than HP ghost.

Last edited:
While true about Heatran, I decided to do some calcs on our Flaming Priobird.

+6 252+ Atk Slurpuff Return vs. 80 HP / 0 Def Talonflame: 465-548 (146.6 - 172.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Now let's see how our cake can take a BB

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 178-211 (58.1 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even after Belly Drum, Sitrus puts Cake out of BB range, pretty sweet if you ask me.

Albacore

252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 178-211 (58.1 - 68.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Even after Belly Drum, Sitrus puts Cake out of BB range, pretty sweet if you ask me.
Impressive, but did you take into account Sharp Beak/Life Orb?

252+ Atk Sharp Beak Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 213-252 (69.6 - 82.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Slurpuff: 231-274 (75.4 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Close, but no cake.

Then again, some Talonflame run lefties, but it's still a big risk.

Belly Drum + Sitrus Berry + Unburden is a force to be reckoned with, I think we all can agree on that. The main problem I see with Slurpuff is that it is kinda fragile, and I think a single Choice Banded Bullet Punch can stop her before she can start the killstreak. Risk, that's what this set is all about. You can set up and get rewarded with a sweeper that can take on almost everything, or you can also get destroyed and waste a pokemon slot in a failed attempt of setting up. I'd love to see this pokemon in UU due to this deadly combination, but as I said before, that depends on the amount of priority users she has to face with.

As much as I love bulky pokemons, I don't think she is really cut for the Sp.Atk/Wall/Tank set. Trying to set up her already lackluster defenses is just inviting death to feast on this little cake.

Aside from the regular attacks focused on destroying the ever loving crap out of the enemy team, I think aromatherapy would be an excellent choice for the fourth move slot, in case she is forced to switch out, she still has some use for the team.

aVocado

@ Everstone
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
It could run Belly Drum, or Calm Mind, and I don't know how viable Cotton Guard is but I guess you could also use that. Those are 3 options.. and tbh I only saw Belly Drum, I don't know how good either of the 2 other sets are.

The cake is definitely not OU material but she looks fun to use. I'm looking forward to playing around using her in the lower tiers. She has a niche over Azumarill in late-game Belly Drum sweeping in that instead of relying on a weak priority move, the cake has its speed doubled (if holding Sitrus Berry) and has a very powerful STAB in Play Rough, with 90 BP. Still, she has terrible coverage and has no other option besides Return/Flamethrower, needles to say, Fairy/Normal is terrible coverage, and Flamethrower doesn't take advantage of it's attack boosts, and since it's the only way t get past steels, you can't really run anything else. But if the steels are out of the way, then the cake is going to have a lovely time picking off the entire opposing team..

..until Talonflame comes and ruins our cake's field day. :)

I am going to be very interested in what tier this pokemon ends up being in. If it ends up in RU or NU than this thing may end up being a problem. Never underestimate the belly drum unburden combo. Its physical coverage moves means it gets walled by steel types, but in the lower tiers where there are not many steel types, This thing can literally destroy teams. I think RU and NU are going to be pretty powerful tiers in this gen

I Think that Special Slurpuff is more dangerous than a Physical one... You can invest heavily in physical defense if you use calm mind and something like chestorest and then sweep better using Dazzling Gleam+Surf or Dazzling Gleam+Flamethrower or even Dazzling Gleam+Thunderbolt...

Physical Slurpuff has to go with Play Rough+Return because Thief is going to make you lose the unburden boost, which can be pretty negative especially considering that Slurpuff isn't that quick without Unburden...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)